Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers think Greaser culture was legitimately cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Reality Bytes was Gen X af and even they mostly rejected it

Or do you mean that Americana Normcore fashion where everyone dressed like a fitted version of your grandparent's patio furniture from 93-97? That's just 20 year-cycle poo poo fashionistas lean on to round out their junior portfolios. No one thought that poo poo was cool, even then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

No I'm thinking of Millennials getting excited about the previous generation's stupid teenage culture, because Boomers were not the teens of the 50's, they were the teens of the 60's.
Speaking as one of the Millennials I'm telling you dude, no one was actually into what you're describing.

The 00s were largely seen as a breakaway thanks to internet culture ensuring nothing ever truly "went away" and everyone was hyper-aware of everything that came before. We liked Grunge/MTV aesthetics as an inspiration, but even then we knew it was hollow as gently caress and preferred the artifice of 80s culture where everything was digital pageantry and we were fated to die in nuclear hellfire. That was way more reflective of what was happening in post-9/11 culture than the corporate playground of aimless angst that was the 90s. Everything that came back due to the 20 year-cycle in the 10s--New Jack Swing/Day-Glo aesthetics, appreciation of mid-late 90s cheese like Independence Day and "Kissed by a Rose" or whatever--still aren't considered cool as much as sorting through the wreckage and claiming the few diamonds leftover.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

I'm a Millennial too lol, and neither of us were old enough to be into any of that at the time, it was Gen X stuff. There has only in recent years been some large amount of people who were like 9 in the 90's posting tons of stuff about how super cool 90's teenage culture was.
I was like 9 in the 90s lmao. I honestly do think that's typical 20 year-cycle stuff from younger kids tbh. Have you met a lot of them these days? I feel ahead of the curve, where my juvenile cynicism and nihilism is now the goddamn norm. I can get why the really little ones might look at 90s teenage culture and yearn for the last era where relatively few people had major cultural anxiety and everyone dressed like they fell out of JCPenny's dumpster.

skooma512 posted:

Of course this also means decades don't really have their own style anymore, if they ever really did. My adolescence was in the 2000s and I really can't tell you if there was a certain style that made it stand out. We just recycle the same stuff over and over, I still hear 80s music and see 80s aesthetics everywhere.
The only style I think truly 100% belongs to the 00s is flip phone culture, which didn't exist before and totally died out with the advent of candybar smartphones.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

I work in education so...
I don't really think affection for old stuff is so novel, the internet blew the ceiling off the access and spread of old info and material, but I don't think that froze continuing trends as much as you think.
I never said it did? I was saying that 90s nostalgia occupies a weird spot in the normal cultural rhythm due to both the internet and the fact that it was a period of relative peace and prosperity, and most people who lived in the 90s don't actually think 90s culture was very cool.

quote:

The 00's distinctiveness is less obvious to us having lived through it as non-kids, but as more and more time passes it becomes more clearly A Period. Easiest way to tell is precisely interacting with current kids/teens. They are the ones the most able to tell you with brutal efficiency that your stuff from your own youth is now Old and Dated.
You don't need to tell me. I was watching an Adult Swim block w/commercials from 2002 and the cultural differences hit you like a wet towel. We really liked glossy and shiny poo poo back in the early 00s for some reason.

quote:

Uhhh, going back to the topic of Gen X....
Nah Gen X was more like "I'm stuck working in a cubicle and the rainforest is getting mowed down oh no!" handwringing, save for the Cassandras. I was a bit of a Cassandra in my own right. My point isn't that I was edgy, but rather that sense of doom and despair seems more pervasive, at least with the kids I meet, than it ever was growing up where the attitude was "well yeah poo poo's going downhill but I'ma grab me a spot on a terrace while everyone else dies." There's a reason "hopepunk" became the closest buzzword kids have to rebelling against trends by being optimistic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

That was the marketing/advertising/fashion world conspiring to get things back on track after the 90's were defined by drab, thrift-store clothing. They didn't create grunge, but they definitely hopped on board quickly to make what money they could, but then they used their resources to steer the culture into something completely different so everyone would need new clothes/furniture/poo poo.
It was also the general "Ooh turn of the Millennium--oh I'm sorry, Willenium" style where a lot of stuff didn't get... futuristic but it definitely had this "end of an era let's party til we drop" vibe in advertising. I remember a lot of the shininess came close to like glitter and sequins too. Eh it was better than Bowling shirts. I will never be on-board with Bowling shirts.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pakistani politics posted:

Boomers like holding their phone in portrait mode and letting you enjoy the video for this new band, Disturbed, and their cover of the classic, "The Sound of Silence," while you're on break at work.

Happened to me word for word.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers are quick to point out that because they didn't beat their children and would say "I love you" every night, their parenting choices are beyond reproach.

Boomers love to talk about how they used to "go outside" as kids.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers don't remember how hot metal playgrounds get in the sun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers commissioned this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoo7Tgjr8U

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Also, boomers hate black people.
Boomers love black people, until they're no longer agreeable. That's why they love black entertainers so much-- all pageantry and entertainers go at their own separate table anyway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

If you wanna dick with em you can then look at their ID and smugly say "the signature on your card doesn't match the signature on your ID, I can't take this card."
No cashier outside of a boutique for bottled elephant farts is getting paid enough to take that heat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're gonna do a low-rent franchise version called "Trumpets" and you could ground floor that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers were way too traumatized by 9/11 :911:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Heath posted:

That's probably exactly why they were so damaged. That threat had finally dissipated with the collapse of the USSR, then about ten years later that happens, and it may as well have been a nuke. The unknown X factor of the new Millennium and all of the mystical fears surrounding that didn't help either.

Really now, it's because they were white collar targets that got hit. It was a reminder that the bougie and even upper classes were still mortal and fallible. I mean yeah what you said it's true, but tragic attacks and events with similar death tolls happen all the goddamn time... they just don't happen to the privileged.

And I say that as someone who grew up in the shadow of NYC, smelled the burning wreckage on the wind, had family friends who died, etc. That's not a flex or a brag, but rather a qualifier that I feel slightly more authoritative in saying that when Boomers in Iowa or New Mexico get all "NEVER FORGET" they can gently caress right off and need to grow up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grape posted:

It popped their beloved End Of History bubble.

Oh god you're reminding me of that poo poo. Gen X has their problems too, but the more I remember about that era the more I can't blame them for just tuning out and acting braindead to the point of actually being kind-of braindead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If any of you bothered to see that new Godzilla flick you'll know what I mean when I say-- Boomers think Bradley Whitford's character was great.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

A boomer stopped on the road to yell out their window and ask me how my walking and weight loss was going this morning. It's not someone I've ever met or seen, and it kind of scared the poo poo out of me to have a truck roll up and stop next to me.

That's a rude way to treat the Boomer that's gonna eat you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

I never heard "Tar-jhey" out of a boomer, just young hipster girls and gay guys.

I have a boomer aunt and uncle who always called Toys R Us, "We Be Toys." Not sure if that's a Boomer thing, or just a them thing.
I heard Tar-jhey out of Boomers and Gen-Xers watching me as a kid in the 90s. It was weird to hear hip girls try to make it a thing because I thought it was played out.

I heard "We Be Toys" but only in relation to KB Toys, another weird relic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers overpraise the gently caress out of the first 5 years of SNL.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Upright Citizens Brigade show on Comedy Central, the one with Amy Pohler, was way more consistent than most.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers tend to be really insecure about their intelligence, which is weird because they're not incurably stupid-- they're mostly lazy and preoccupied with fried shrimp.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barudak posted:

Wonderful Christmas Time is the most metal song of all time in so far as I feal brutalized and beaten by it
Yeah it's god-awful but it taps into something honest. I'll take it over Jingle Bell Rock or Holly Jolly Christmas.

Also this movie is peak Boomer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5iue0Wi3gY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I don't even know where to begin with this and I'm sure there isn't anything I can say that you're not all thinking. But aside from that I'm just really disappointed that Fred Williamson is in this.
They have him make a pun where he calls him self "Hammer... William Hammersmith." The best take they got was apparently one where he sounds like Alan Rickman going "...what a savings."

Other highlights include:

• Boomer.Dad is working as a pharmacist and patches up a gunshot/stab wound on a biker who comes in with his gang.
  • Boomer.Dad is :911: personified.
  • They use a camcorder to film Boomer.Dad's son leaving to die in Iraq, but the son takes the camera with him on the bus.
  • Boomer.Dad is introduced to his teen grandson who attempts a fistbump-style handshake. Boomer.Dad goes "that better not be a gang sign." This happens almost immediately after he performs illegal, presumably untrained surgery on a Biker Gang.
  • The Grandkids decide to stealth in a Nativity play at their school by making it all about aliens and it actually turns out kind-of awesome.
  • There is a protracted detour in which they take a trip outside of their small country town to visit the Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant. Boomer.Dad publicly shames the shrimpstress when she wishes him "Happy Holidays." The restaurant erupts into such violent applause you can see buttered shrimp being mashed between the hands of various extras.
  • Boomer.Dad is also apparently the Mayor in addition to being a Pharmacist, and this information comes up in a manner surprisingly similar to the twist in Morel Orel.
  • Boomer.Dad is still very surprised to hear that the Big Bad State has outlawed Christmas decorations in spite of being the Mayor for apparently some length of time prior to the story.

I could go on. It's not worth a hate-watch but it's absolute peak Boomer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RobattoJesus posted:

I love how in the boomer mind freedom means freedom to be a oval office and not feel bad about it.
"Freedom" is the American euphemism for "Hegemony," even if half of the people espousing it couldn't pronounce "hegemony" let alone define it.

CPL593H posted:

Jesus Christ, I can't imagine playing any of that straight. I also can't imagine watching that whole movie because I honestly couldn't even watch that whole trailer. I'd be shocked if the movie wasn't made by some grifter who knows how easy it is to milk 60-something conservatives.
I found out about it through Brad Jones' review. I tried watching the full thing but well, yeah. Couldn't make it past the half-hour mark. Watch the review though, it fits in real nice with this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-h0Jm-i184

Barudak posted:

Computer, enhance area 1-9. Show all frames, 6 through 9. Summarize
Zoom and enhance areas 9 through 11. Oh no... Oh no...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers will share their favorite dark joke with you and it's a Hannibal Lester meme.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I hope their transgender shrimpstress spits in their food all the time. She doesn't have to confirm or deny this, I'm just saying that she should and I hope she does.
loving :same:

Julius CSAR posted:

Basically if they re-made it today it would be millennials sitting talking about 9-11 and listening to Papa Roach.
A movie about the shittiest garbage millennials doing a Big Chill riff listening to trash from the turn of the century sounds like something Harmony Korrine should do.

Also props to Edgar Wright for writing half of "Gen X's Big Chill" in "The World's End" and actually making it decent enough that when the body-snatching robots come in it's kind-of disappointing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Millennial Big Chill is just Lena Dunham's Girls.

It does take what the Boomers did, dilute it, then stretch it out on a rack far past breaking point. That's pretty Millennial tbh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Boomer Trekkies tend to be insufferable TOS purists in my experience so that’s not so bad.

They really do even though if you asked they couldn't remember poo poo about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's doubly loving ironic because aside from the fact that Discovery is a prequel--because 90s Star Trek wrote itself into a Lore/Technology corner and no one in their right mind is going to try to square that circle and do another TNG-style leap forward--the second season of Discovery is bursting with fanservice including Young Spock and other poo poo that is probably decent enough but so creatively septic you should wear a hazmat suit before approaching it.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 4, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Peanut President posted:

you do know they're making a show about Picard set after VOY right?
And I will bet you :10bux: it's a character study show where he stays far and away from anything Lore-related, both in a vain attempt to class up the joint and because no writer worth their salt wants to try to write Trek that's reflective of actual projected advancements in technology (AI, genetic manipulation, basically "The Culture" which itself is already 35 years old), and no producer worth their salt is going to think audiences who vaguely remember TNG from Picard memes are going to care about political developments among a bunch of forehead aliens that aren't Vulcans or Klingons.

You'll see some self-pity about the destruction of Romulus and a very restrained visit from Q, and that'll be about as weird as it gets. It's a show-off project for Patrick Stewart, nothing more.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Boomers seriously actually loving enjoy the Shrimp Shack Mac and Cheese from their local Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. Who knows what strange, dark calling leads them to mix cheese and shellfish
Lobster Mac and Cheese can be good... but only if it's really high-quality "genuine article" poo poo. Only a Boomer would order that from a chain restaurant like the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 6, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

And buying her workout tape.
Boomers LOVE gimmick exercise equipment like Nordic Track, Thighmaster, and Bowflex.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh I don't know I didn't go to Vietnam

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzws1c0bFtI

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if even half of the doomsaying around climate change is coming, get the gently caress used to Tilapia cause none of us are gonna be able to afford the good poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A group of Boomers is called a Tilapia.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Panfilo posted:

No, a group of Boomers is called a Timeshare.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers love to say things like "you'll understand when you're older" and "don't worry about that right now" because they're too smug, lazy, and inarticulate to be bothered to do their jobs as guides to the younger generation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

oh absolutely. you basically just described the mindset of every single person that works in healthcare

i will never forget doing my rotations for my cna. it was at a medicaid long term assisted care. every CNA had 20 beds, and almost all of them were mod to total assists. the first thing i did that day was hoyer lift an obese stroke patient onto a rolling bed and down the hall to a shower room where i hosed them off. they poo poo uncontrollably the entire time.

there's nothing the CNAs can do. CNAs there get paid 9 dollars an hour and have to work 12 hour shifts. on average they can spend three minutes an hour with a patient. These are people that need to be fed, bathed, clothed, and toileted. burn out is high. there's no background checks. they need the help too badly. if you've been popped for stealing drugs at a different job, you'll end up there, especially if you're a nurse or lpn. the patient has dementia. who's to say if you did or didn't give them their meds?

CNA that abused or robbed patients at a different place? they'll take you at a snf or a ltac. rapes are not uncommon. both staff on patient and patient on patient.

for places like these to keep getting medicaid/ss/medicare they have to prove they give 1 hour of entertainment to their residents every day. every day after lunch we'd dress them as best they could and wheel them into an auditorium where someone would perform for free. it was usually religious groups. we would pass out one cup of juice. they'd sing for or five songs and leave. this was their entertainment.

this was also when the family would come visit, if they ever would.

i remember one rich young boomer who'd just thrown her mom in there. She was a very proper woman, and would try to do her makeup every morning. she was also has urinary urgency but couldn't get out of her chair, so she'd just scream help because she wanted to go to the bathroom all day, which we just couldn't do. 20 beds per cna

so let me just reiterate this picture. wheel chair bound woman, in the hall, makeup all over her face, nice clothes poorly applied, screaming for help to go to the bathroom. at the top of her lungs. all day.

son looks at me and says "this place is pretty good, yeah?"

yeah. sure. you'll get what's coming to you too.

Chiming in to say every single word of this is 100% accurate and if you aren't making plans on how to check out early when your body gives out you're going to end up with something very close to this.

FizFashizzle posted:

the retirement home industry is a huge loving scam and all the wealth of the boomer generation is going to vanish into giant healthcare corporations

and we still won't have healthcare lol

Quoted for emphasis.

In the last year my big-dick alpha male grandfather's dementia accelerated and was abandoned by his third wife. My mother spent a ton of her Boomer money to transfer him to a swanky-rear end high end dementia care facility-- extremely nice amenities, very involved caretakers with reasonable patient loads, etc. He was there for about three months before a 'bout of pneumonia-- very common in advanced age-- made him too sick to reside there. The total cost? Over $30k. Now he resides in a mid-tier facility more equipped for someone who keeps getting sick and can no longer walk. It's nicer, but you've got the much more standard retinue of 1 nurse for 30 patients, 2 CNAs for the unit, and at least 1-4 "screamers" howling 24/7 somewhere. My grandfather has no indication of remembering the nice facility.

And due to legal parameters and general ethics, we're gonna be forced to spend whatever money our Boomer parents have left on these places because that's where they want to go, because even in advanced age they're still going to be vain and idiotic fucks about the fact that once you cross a certain health threshold--and it can happen at any age but it's gonna happen to all of us-- you're pretty much straight hosed for QoL until you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Why doesn't the person on the right slow down!?"

THAT ISN'T FOR YOU TO DECIDE NOW FOR ALL OF OUR SAFETY PLEASE MOVE YOUR loving CAR OVER TO THE RIGHT AND LET A COP SORT OUT WHO IS GOING TOO FAST