Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BigDave posted:

That's the British kid who went missing in Portugal?

My understanding is, the boyfriend of a nanny the parents were using wanted to grab the kid and get some easy cash, so they staked out the cottage the parents were using.

One night the parents go off to a restaurant to get plowed with some friends
Does... does this mean something else where you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brain Curry posted:

Get plowed means either getting hosed or getting drunk
Yeah I only know the former (and the farmer) so that read as a hell of a claim.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FearCotton posted:

You know she has at least 24, right?

PS, have you checked under her maiden name? That was a thing my grandmother did, just accounts under all the possible names.
Gaj thousand yard staring at this post for like a half hour straight

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gaj posted:

This is my natural body state whenever I learn something about my parents.

My mother actually kept her maiden name, its just for some stupid reason she decided to hyphenate it during the early 90s. So like half of her accounts are Maiden Name-Boomerous, and then the other half are just her maiden name. This caused me trouble because that meant to the government there was a Gaj Boomerous, and a Gaj Maiden Name-Boomerous. There was a serious kerfuffle getting into elementary and middle school cause which Gaj has vaccinations and which Gaj is entering school?

The bank tellers are the ones sweating because they are like, this woman has 5 accounts with 2 different names...dating back to the early 70s. And she wants us to update bankbooks from defunct banks we bought out.
This is going to end with some stressed out teller handing you wadded up handfuls of cash and begging you to leave

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gaj posted:

I will keep the thread updated on this particular adventure with the roof. It should be done by next weekend so it can be a short lock-down mini series.
Do you remember when you said this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Soylent Pudding posted:

Boomers love insisting they're too smart to be scammed and throwing tantrums that they will refuse to comply with court orders when reality catches up to them. Let me tell you, the tantrums were magnificent when a boomer found out their insurance company was prepared to drop coverage unless the unpermitted work was repaired, and then the mortgage company was prepared to foreclose if the lending contract was breached by leaving the home uninsured.
Nobody is too smart to fall for scams. If you think you're too smart to fall for scams it just means you've never noticed all the times you've fallen for scams.

I, for example, have paid $10 to post on an internet forum, another $10 to unlock special buttons, and an additional $5 to attach a png of a well-armed rat.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 28, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Time Cowboy posted:

When I was 19 or 20, back in the early ‘00s, I fell for a pyramid scheme thanks to my father’s Boomer cousin. I had just gotten away from my abusive father and established a life on my own, yet I somehow sincerely believed family would never screw me over, or take advantage of my naïveté. So when Boomer cousin said I could send him $120 and get literature guaranteed to make me rich, well, I lost $120 and learned an important lesson. In all other respects, this Boomer cousin had been the least worst person in that generation of the family.
To mesh the two current threads of conversation, when we got our new house we fell for the "Want me to clean your gutters, oh I noticed a bunch of problems with your roof, want me to climb up and look at it" guy. We did catch on when he came down to tell us the damage he'd "found" and got an actual roofer in to fix everything back up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Soylent Pudding posted:

Scams rely on emotionally short-circuiting your ability to think clearly and information asymmetry. The best way to check this involves knowing people who have different knowledge sets and listening when they tell you you're being stupid.
This is not a Thing Boomers Like

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cowslips Warren posted:

Two years, which is why I invested in a nice set of headphones. Hers is on wifi, mine ethernet, but her computer stand is one of those beasts from the 90's where it would take five college kids or a good flamethrower to move.
You can buy a plug and play wireless adaptor for like 20 dollars

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

learnincurve posted:

Buck. A quid is £1. But you wouldn’t really say “quids”, unless you are 68 and using the phrase “quids in” (made a profit) pounds would be the equivalent of bucks.
To clarify, quid is like sheep for pluralisation. Something can cost five quid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just FYI what she's most recently known for is begging people to please stop talking about her tits on social media because it's loving her up emotionally

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bonzo posted:

and replace them with kids from kids from every suburb in the county.
Choosing to take this as written

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Whut

Serious question: would you feel the same way about, for example, someone who earned a lower middle class wage as a bit actor in the same situation?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Former child actor turned working-class stiff? All the sympathy.

Former child actor turned adult actor? Hold on, I think I still have some of the crocodile tears I bring to my chud father-in-law's house to avoid arguments around here somewhere...

There was a dude who was a child actor that got "found" working in a grocery store a few years ago, and he got absolutely savaged on social media for it. Poor guy just trying to get by bagging loving groceries, and he gets lit up on social media for having the gall to get out of the abusive sphere of Hollywood. That dude I felt bad for.

e: I also feel extremely bad for Ms. Spears, as her entire current celebrity status is a perfect microcosm of the abuse inherit in a capitalist system. She's essentially a modern-day slave and it's nauseating. https://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/2020/07/15/free-britney-spears/
I'm having trouble parsing your posts into a coherent thesis. It seems to be "if you choose to work in the entertainment industry as an adult kill you are self no exceptions"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Huego posted:

Oh poo poo I've lost the approval of the guy constructing arguments about which women it's cool to sexually harass
mtw is saying that it's not cool to sexually harass any women. "You are a moron because the thing you're saying was my point" e: I do not believe this to be sufficient evidence to call you a moron

mind the walrus posted:

You're a moron. That was my point.
Your post was confusing and took me a few reads to get maybe not go straight from 0 to gently caress you next time you could have de-escalated since it was obvious that they had misunderstood you

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 7, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Two things:

1. I'm not sure what you're referring to here, as I assume that sentence is referring to using two spaces after a sentence rather than one, and the person you quoted only used a single space after sentences.

2. Using two spaces after sentences is fine and good. You can have my double spaces when you pry them from my cold, dead Oxford comma.
Do not sully the oxford comma by associating it with the most boomer of punctuation

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cowslips Warren posted:

This for me too, but I also hate the general idea of "look at me!" that nearly all social media is.

I think I remember reading something about Kristen Bell, where she was blasting news sites for taking pictures of her when out with her kids because "they didn't sign up for this!" But you know what? They get all the loving rewards of their mom being ultra rich and famous, they gotta pay the price
Not really no. If they grow up to be lovely assholes then yeah rip them to shreds but until then they're just some kids being stalked by creepy old men with cameras

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just noticed that my posts seem to display with only one space after each sentence. What kind of automagic fuckery is this? My APA style guide is twitching.
There's a few dozen spaces in the middle of this sentence, when the forums parse your typing into posting it strips out excess whitespace.

e: also get with the times grandpa https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/punctuation/space-after-period

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 8, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No it's because there's no need to cargo cult the kludge fix for your typewriter's built in kerning on modern word processing systems.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LabyaMynora posted:

I learned to put double spaces at the end of sentences in my high school typing class in 1997. I’ve been doing it ever since and just found out it was controversial in the last year or two when style guides and Word officially declared double spaces dead. I try my best to stop but after 20+ years it’s hard.

I am not a boomer, I’m not even 40 yet. :smith:
You were done dirty by boomers

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pretty good posted:

Double spaces are fine and acceptable just like boomer commas, are fine and acceptable
You have a point... as long as the message gets across it doesn't really matter... punctuation is a part of language and language is descriptive not prescriptive... just something to think about...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

learnincurve posted:

I do a double space after a full stop because I’m very end of gen X and our boomer teachers were clinging on to the idea that manual typewriters were king for dear life, and that even those electronic ones with spellcheck were the devil. In, like, 1998.

I see A Lot of TERF posts (they have me on Lists and poo poo), and the only consistency is that they are all barely literate wankers led by people who use irrelevant or faked academic titles in order to give their lunatic fringe group of Karen’s and cishet pervert men credibility.
Boomer is a mindset. Double spacing because it's a hard habit to break is different to insisting it's the correct way to do things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

shame on an IGA posted:

If I felt like putting effort into my cooking on a given night pasta wouldn't be under consideration in the first place
Weird pasta shade out of nowhere

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gaj posted:

Welp today I thought I could reasonably say that the Roofing Saga is over, I can leave the thread and deal with my own poo poo. Boomerous just called me not ten minutes ago, and So I have an update. But first I need to do a little backtracking.

So as I stated, before I went upstate on 8/27, I let air out of one of Boomerous' car tires. This was to stop him from going upstate and leaving my mother alone since he will do that without hesitation. It worked perfectly and hes still stuck on how to fix the car.

While I was upstate I found something troubling, .223 casings about 30 of them and 3 broken clay pigeons by the back deck. We suspect this was from a neighbor who is super shady, Italian from NYC. He likes to come up and trespass and hunt illegally. It seems he wanted to do some target practice on the back deck. There is no real evidence pointing to him but its enough we are going to file a complaint with the local sheriff without naming names.

Now the thing is I have also done some target shooting in the same spot with a basic .22 years ago, thats why there are .22 shells there stuck in the deck boards. So there are new .223 shells and old .22 shells in the same spot. Well Supremacist Steve is going up every day and looking over the house and found one of the .22 shells on the deck. I had to try and explain to Boomerous the difference. Im basically trying to play telephone with two 70+ old racists who are in poor physical condition, and Boomerous knows nothing about guns. While this is annoying, I agree a police report should be made. Supremacist Steve does not want to go to the police, because they are in league with the Chemtrails and BLM to use Covid as a reason for mass arrests. Boomerous solution is to have the roofer go to the police and file the report on our behalf, because of course. He already left a voicemail.

This bring me back to the car.

I have offered to get in said car, and drive upstate for the weekend to make the police report, and then zip back down. Now of course right now the car has 1 very low tire and Boomerous is not physically capable of inflating it. For the past 2 weeks I have been offering to fix the flat and get the car to a garage. Boomerous has rebuffed all my offers and just continues to go in circles because well he cant fathom the fact that I may know how to jack up a car Ive owned and driven for 12 years. Literally asked me if I knew how to do that and if I knew how to drive.

The last conversation I had with him with regards to the tire was about how to get car from parking lot to garage on a questionable tire, which I know is fine because I let the air out. To hide my complicity in this grave crime, I suggested we pumpe the tire up full of air, and leave it over night. If the tire was still reasonably full by morning that means it would surely be able to get to the garage without problem. Boomerous agreed to the concept but not the actualization of giving me the keys so I could take care of this myself.

Boomerous just told me he paid "his man" enough to come down with a spare tire, and to change it in the parking lot. There is a donut in the trunk, but hes paying for a spare to be put on, and for the "man" to fix the car up in place at the parking lot. The car needs a fluid and oil change and a bunch of other poo poo too but hey only parking lot service, just like the roof/skylight/everything else.

I lost it at this point, and just told him I let the air out of the tire. Boomerous started screaming crying. How could I do this to him, why was I destroying proptery. What is wrong with me. I calmly told him the tire is fine, it just needs air. He screamed that I cut the tire. No I told him I just let the air out, the tire is fine. He continued to scream that he couldnt talk to me, and that he wanted me to hang up. I kept telling him to tell his guy not to come, and that I could fix this, its getting ridiculous. Since I kept talking, giving him a solution (a command), he kept crying and screaming that he didnt want to to talk to me, and for me to hang up. I had to hang up, he kept crying. Mind you he needed me to hang up because he needed to have the last word on this issue. Oh, he also claims to have never heard me offer to reinflate the tire myself, I never said that at all every day last week.

Im at a loss for words.
You made two mistakes. Mistake one was telling him. Mistake two was not putting him on speakerphone and playing a repeating clip of:
"Tell your man not to come, I will come over tomorrow to refill it"
*pause*
"I offered to refill it, I will come over tomorrow to refill it"
*pause*
"I'm not hanging up, I will come over tomorrow to refill it"
*repeat*
Until he hung up or starved to death

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Caesar Saladin posted:

I mean I'm not sure if you exactly need "rehabilitation" after writing gently caress YOU into a field with a lawnmower but he should have just fined the guy
Eh, if your parents are rich then a fine is nothing, if they're poor then it could mean not eating. Having to mow a football field with a push mower or shovel animal poop are consequences that a rich kid will actually feel. Whether they'll learn anything...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Daktar posted:

I suspect that if we did have that universal service job draft that's sometimes mooted as a solution to people being dicks to retail workers, all the boomers and boomer-adjacent would carry on exactly as they did before and go 'what? It's not that bad, I did it for six months. These snowflakes just can't handle blah blah blah.'
On the other hand if everyone had to do it for 6 months then nobody would need to do it as a career.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpartanIvy posted:

If there was a retail draft then I think you'd see a lot more Boomer's with bone spurs and only the young and the poor would be the ones working retail. Same as it ever was.
Don't need feet to person the customer service desk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr_Schmoo posted:

There's a hard to find a movie called "Miracle Mile" which fits this perfectly. Basically, a guy gets a random phone call about a nuclear launch <removed>
Last bit's kind of a spoiler. It's a pretty good film.

I used to drop Threads and When The Wind Blows as a double feature in various goontubes.

If anyone in our current plagueworld has somehow has not seen Contagion yet you should watch it.

I've been wanting to watch a decent "everything slowly falling apart" film or series for a while. Especially Zombie stuff tend to jump straight into the "Zombies are everywhere" bit, I'd love to see the early parts of World War Z as a series, with the fake zombie vaccines and the people hearing about Zombies but kind of treating them as someone else's problem until they actually show up in their own home town. God, Fear The Walking Dead was such a letdown.

I can't see anyone making anything like that without falling into the irritatingly persistent trap of making the primary antagonistic force random jerkwad humans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You just reminded me of The Last Ship

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Krispy Wafer posted:

Best zombie movie ever is the opening credits of the Dawn of the Dead remake.
This is truth

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why does every other zombie film insist on their second half being about how the true monster is man. I don't mean NotLD where you have a bunch of people in a house not getting along, I mean the ones where it's
Act 1) Setup
Act 2) Fighting Zombies
Act 3) Actually now it's all about how this one guy and/or group of guys are dickholes, also there are still zombies but mainly it's all about this guy being a dick.

e: See also pretty much every other apocalypse film/novel/whatever

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Heath posted:

Because those media are always pretty one-note. The idea of personal redemption kinda goes out the window when the world's support structures have vanished, so you're left with the specter of human cruelty coming out in full force. Nobody wants hopeful post-apoc, although I'm sure it exists.
See there's a third option where things continue to be difficult or maybe even don't work out at all just because life is hard sometimes. Which is very on-topic for the thread. It's a very boomer attitude that if you fail it's either your fault for not being good enough OR because <the enemy> got in your way. Since by definition the protagonists are The Good Guys and therefore Good Enough the only way for there to be any tension in the second half is for A Bad Guy to show up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beachcomber posted:

Once you're properly fortified, the only threats are attacks from raiders or internal division.
This is hilariously untrue no matter what the apocalypse. Also internal division doesn't have to mean "This one guy is bad", the original NotLD had internal division without making one person the root cause.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bonzo posted:

I thought World War Z (the book) kinda touched on this

I seem to recall early in the book he tells of some people in the US know of a cure, that's more or less snake oil, which delays the actual evacuations and other preventative measures
There's also a bit where they talk to a soccer mom who basically says yeah she heard about the weird rabies disease but she had other poo poo to worry about and bills don't care about zombies

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I tanked a job interview which was full of really weird questions which I later heard through a back channel was the interviewers trying every way they could think of to ask without asking "where is your social media presence you're a loving ghost".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mad Hamish posted:

It is morally correct to steal from Fargoth because he's a disgusting Bosmer and they're worse than animals. Gross little s'wit, just look at him!
I saw a boomer the other day. Horrible creatures. I avoid them whenever I can.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

life is killing me posted:

Boomers love to put their “signature” in each text message they send:
-~xXxDadSephiroth69xXx~-

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

Over the last 20 years my attitude towards vegans went from 'what a bunch of whiny assholes' to 'yeah okay you do you' to 'actually veganism is probably necessary for the planet and we do need to eat less meat, good on them' to 'gently caress I can't cook anything they'll eat how the gently caress is this dinner going to work?'.

If vegan cooking was easier I'd have zero issues wth it so really it's about convenience.
Buy some lentils and seal them in a jar. Lentils and rice with some spices and a tin of chopped tomatoes is vegan easy mode and they're all stuff you can shove in a press and forget about for months.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I missed vegetable chat but you can boil tasty broccoli and brussel sprouts easy. Boil the water first then throw them in as it's bubbling for a couple of minutes and pull them straight out. Delicious crunchy goodness.

I get mad about overboiled greens like other people get mad about overcooked steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also the stalk of the broccoli can go pretty much anywhere carrots can go. Strip off any skin that's too tough (usually only an issue toward the base) then dice it all up and throw it into your ground beef or casserole to simmer, or cut into disks and bake with seasoning. People cutting off the tops and throwing away the delicious stalk is a crime.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I got some good recipe ideas from Brussels sprouts chat. Good thing, I started nine plants from seed two or three weeks ago that will be set out in the vegetable garden soon, so hopefully I'll have a bunch.

My Mom, too, boiled the absolute crap out of every vegetable she served, and that turned me off vegetables in general for several decades. The Brussels sprouts she made were dismal, stinky mush. It wasn't until I had them roasted with a Maple syrup glaze which swung me around the other direction, and now I love them.

Most of the meats she'd cook ended up coming out of the oven like slightly moist jerky.
You probably know this but if you cut the mature sprouts off the stalk and leave the stalk in the ground you'll get a few harvests off each plant.

e: Also lightly cooked cauliflower has a delicious peppery taste to it that gets murdered by overboiling. I basically want to sear the outside with boiling water but only heat rather than cook the insides. It's actually delicious raw but I find it hard to wash properly, so for me the boiling is more of a hygiene thing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 14, 2021