Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

It's not even that, a lot of times it, "I learned a thing in 1972 when I was in high school, there's no way it could possibly have changed in 48 years" :colbert:

This is how old assholes pretend that LGBTQ folks don't exist. "I learned in biology that there are only TWO SEXES AND THAT'S IT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just want to know why in the hell boomers are so obsessed with the idea that EVERYONE MUST HAVE THEIR OWN KIDS. I don’t loving get it, we can’t be the only generation to have people who didn’t want to be parents, couldn’t have kids and so on. Yet not only is the idea completely alien to them, it’s downright offensive.

Parents my age don’t pull this poo poo, they dearly love their children but they don’t sugarcoat the insane costs and responsibilities they now have. But the boomers have no loving problem demanding to know when I’m going to get my wife pregnant, how many times, why she’s avoiding the greatest thing a woman can do, why I’m not doing my duty as a man to give her children, carry on my family name and legacy and so on.

What the gently caress.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elderbean posted:

Boomers like going into a movie without any idea as to what its about and then they walk out when the mute lady fucks the fishman.

Also, for as much as they complain about everyone needing a safe space they will reject any art that makes them even remotely uncomfortable. Boomers think art is bland paintings of Jesus and everything else is "weird" or the person who made it was "seriously on something"

I never understand this because going to art museums is always loving awesome. Yeah, I don't pretend to understand it but it looks loving cool and it's good to stretch your mind a bit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

one of my favorite boomerisms is that kids these days arent reading as if were just staring at a blank phone screen. dont even tell me they think were all watching pewdiepie they dont know who that is

poo poo i read way more on my phone than i ever did with books

And how many loving boomers yelled at us for "having your drat nose in a book all the drat time" when we were all growing up?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 7, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AceClown posted:

Strong boomer battles at my workplace right now, they're starting to relax a bit on working from home and most teams now remote work on Mondays and Fridays.

The loud "huff" and snarky comment about how people are sat at home watching TV when they walk over to a desk and someone is not there is great.

They also refuse to work from home themselves because it's "not real work".

Holy poo poo this. My middle management would literally rather pay people more than every allow them to work from home, even though we’re all given laptops and we just do data analysis or stuff like that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bobjr posted:

My work just pushes the “no one actually gets anything done if they work from home” line, when I think it’s more people I work with would likely just not “work” a full 8-9 hours because they could get stuff done before then.

I would actually be motivated to get more work done if I were allowed to avoid Friday afternoon traffic and sit in my yard in the summer instead.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

My workplace "believes in working from work", thus radiating massive amounts of Boomer Energy in the process.

Hearing this would make me want to unionize the place out of loving spite.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can probably look them up on YouTube. Several videos were declassified of fighter jet cameras chasing tic tac shaped objects that didn't move like anything we've ever seen before. So it's either top secret drones that move like Neo in the Matrix, phantom radar signatures computer glitches, or aliens.

The weird part is no one seemed to care. We're so busy and swamped with news that something that would have been earth shattering 30 years ago just kind of phibbbbbbits out of the news cycle.

It's not aliens because there's no loving way Trump could keep aliens secret. Unless of course, he is the alien.

More likely than not they're experimental drones whose footage was released to tell other militaries that "we're working on crazy poo poo, so watch out".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cheesus posted:

I think he said he was going to drive to Saratoga Springs after our show.

Meanwhile my 72 year old father sleeps 18 hours a day and rounds out his waking hours watching repeats of ncis or whatever the gently caress those shows are. And complains about how bad Vermont's winter weather is despite living here all his life.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My mom loves Young Sheldon.

CBS is nothing more than a nuclear furnace of boomer energy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BigDave posted:

CBS News is basically CNN for people with sensitive stomachs and can't stay awake past 9PM.

Funny story - to get an Internet package, I had to get basic cable. So the installer is doing his thing and then panics and says, “I forgot to tell you, you won’t get channel 7 due to a contract freeze (local CBS channel), is that a problem?” And I’m like, “uh, no way is that a problem”. It’s been two years and there hasn’t been a single time I’ve wanted to watch that channel or anything on it. Absolute waste of airwaves right there.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

school administrators are up there with apartment office workers as the dumbest motherfuckers on Earth with the pettiest power trips

always a bunch of utterly worthless ditzes

Apartment office workers are the absolute loving worst.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh, I'm not knocking the folder (aside from the title; I had no idea what he wanted to show me when I saw that). He's been pretty upfront about his own mortality after my mom passed.

It's way better than my boyfriend's parents, who are both in their 70s, and haven't considered any of that and refuse to even consider planning ahead for funeral expenses and the like.

This is so loving irresponsible. I lost my mother suddenly a few years back when she was 55, and I'm so thankful she had "the talk" with my father about what she wanted if the worst were to happen. It doesn't make the situation any better, but holy gently caress does it prevent it from becoming so much worse.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Here's some big boomer energy for you - working at a large workplace in Snohomish County, WA but being unable to work from home because the boomer management feels uncomfortable with the idea.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Greetings fellow ✈️ goon!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ghost emoji posted:

boomers love sharing jpegs of the wordiest jokes you've ever seen. the punchline is usually "i hate my children and wife"

I love how these boomers see their children and everything they happen to own as their own property to take, sell or destroy as they see fit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

The network can say whatever they want about the #metoo allegations they ignored for the last three years since they were made public, what did Matthews in was the debacle on friday where he looked at live footage of SC's senators at the charleston trump rally and asked confused questions about why senate candidate Jaime Harrison (D) was at a trump rally with his opponent Lindsey Graham.

To Jaime Harrison.

WHO WAS HIS GUEST IN THE STUDIO

I’m catching up on Last Week Tonight and they had a montage of Matthews sundowning while trying to sign off in his own show.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

Who the gently caress goes through the hellworld of Costco parking and checkout for a single item you included.

I did this for a barefoot peach tree and inexplicably all the folks insisted I go in front of them because I only had one item. It was rather kind of them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why would you cram things up his peehole

Every experiment needs a control.

The rent/buy thing is really tough. Where I'm at I was facing 8-12% yearly increases in rent, and the average price for a 2 bed/bath apartment in the whole county is more than my monthly mortgage. I'm lucky as gently caress to have gotten out of that cycle and I wish things would stabilize for everyone else. It's working out for me but it's so drat individualized that any boomer who says "buy a house" is a complete moron.

But the lawn? gently caress that. The front lawn is slowly getting torn up for fruit trees and the back is a combination of fruit bushes, raised veggie beds, flowers and japanese maples. Lawns loving suck. No one in my neighborhood waters their lawn, it's awesome.

ETA: Also, the landlord harassment. Constant 24 hour notices to enter, charging to accepting packages, fees for every last loving thing and so on.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 6, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Outrail posted:

I'm at the stage where I want to buy a house but can't afford to, so I'm paying attention to the market. Housing is skyrocketing in my town and apparently it's totally okay for home owners to gleefully crow about how much their house value has gone up in the last year but it's verboten to pray for a housing crash. It's straight up gently caress you got mine. The more houses they own the less they think you should be able to afford one.

The success of your investment property shouldn't gently caress someone's chances of owning a home.

loving boomer landlords, maximum taxes on second homes Imo.

Seriously, gently caress home values - they want them to go up then whine and cry when property taxes go up. Houses are places to live, not investment accounts. That sort of attitude also drives the most loving banal design as well.

And yeah, tax the gently caress out of non-primary residences and vacancies as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jet Jaguar posted:

Toyota used to make a small pickup, and they still go for a premium used because not everyone wants/needs the behemoths that US manufacturers insist on making. My dad had an El Camino and I was pleasantly surprised to see one driving around a few months ago. I imagine they get horrible mileage, though.

Right as the market started to tank a month ago, my Boomer coworker was saying "It's all just the flu!" and he and his wife bought a vacation to Hawaii that leaves tomorrow. I knew even then he wasn't going to go.

I'm actually a bit surprised he's taking things seriously now. Though they still have an in-home business where his wife finishes quilts with some monstrous machine he bought. Not quite sure how that is an essential business, but they keep bringing in work.

My late mother ran a quilt shop and what folks can do with those massive sewing machines is absolute art.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

The fact that our problems are systemic, there is no individual escape from them and tripling my income would leave me in no less a precarious situation than I have now

Seriously, this right here. Yeah, I’m making wages that give me security and comfort, but those can be yanked away at any moment for who knows what reason.

Also, in buying a house I certainly haven’t forgotten how much it loving sucked to have corporate landlords want to constantly enter my apartment or raise my rent by 8-12% each year. gently caress that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

univbee posted:

Anyway I had my first major-ish trading of blows with my dad yesterday. Nowhere near as bad as what many go through daily, mind you, but he had this really deep-set notion that you should be working 60+ hours a week on 40 hours’ pay due to loving your work and proving yourself. I doubt I got through to him that all that does now is show you as a patsy who’ll work for free and not get you a promotion or even your job saved if the shares go down 0.25% ever. And also that despite having a “good job” I’m making less than minimum wage when he was growing up. His employment history is also textbook “all of my advice worked great for me”, like he was a professor with no union contract and quit 30 years ago and they apparently still pay for his health care benefits, apparently out of the goodness of their hearts.

Your dad can go gently caress himself.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ok, it’s a little weird that you can’t buy seeds at the grocery store, but uh, there’s a thing called mail order. All the cool seeds come from online shops or Etsy stores or whatever. And sure if you have a greenhouse or an indoor germination setup you can plant now (or should have started weeks ago), yeah if there’s snow on the ground you are doing poo poo.

But these are basic as poo poo boomers who haven’t been planing their garden for months now and aren’t thinking ahead and just want to drown their lawns in weed and feed.

And gently caress your lawn. As far as I’m concerned, “lawn care” is caring about where you’re going to dig out your next flower bed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cheesus posted:

Every spring around this time my wife goes on a jag about how she needs $150 of fertilizer or soil or whatever the gently caress for her ridiculously small garden and how drop everything to go RIGHT NOW to Costco to pick the stuff up.

How did we ever grow anything from the time we as a species stopped foraging exclusively up until about what, 30 years ago?

I've seeded bare spots on my (crappy) lawn and with half-assed effort (not even going through the trouble of covering it with straw) and it has grown in just fine.

It doesn’t really help that developers put in the absolute shittiest soil or even scrape all the topsoil off leaving nothing but rock and sand.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twistedmentat posted:

They're not coming in because they need to, its because they have nothing else to do. Grocery stores are about the only thing still open so that's where they want to be.

Why in the gently caress can’t they just do something else? Don’t they have lawns to manicure or people they can talk on the phone with or lovely tv to watch?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

The NFL draft is hard enough for us tech-savvy analysts: For 4 years I've had two monitors, my phone, and a tablet open to cover the draft. I can't imagine the growing pains for these stodgy billionaires forces to learn tech in two weeks time. It has the potential to be the biggest trainwreck of the Century.

I hope this isn’t too much of a derail, but what are you putting on all of those screens? What are you tracking? This sounds like Formula 1 level poo poo.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 23, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The_Continental posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

"Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyd

Didn't want to post this in the classic rock thread as I already ate a 12er for making GBS threads on this music yesterday. I'm posting this for the dumpster fire of a comment section. Lots of people self-identifying as boomers and PROUD OF IT! Its not enough for them to have enjoyed themselves at the show they need to turn around and tell all younger generations that this was the best it ever was, and they missed out, current music is garbage, current everything is garbage, they had the best music etc.

Just so bad.

edit: Also just wow

“They try to destroy your family name”. Where in the gently caress are they living where anyone gives a single poo poo about your “family name”? Who keeps track of this poo poo?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m loving the whole attitude that “we must force children to endure random and arbitrary bullshit because it’s good for them”. That’s totally a healthy attitude.

Also, these aren’t the boardgames that Millenials are actually playing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is so loving grim.

I’m just hoping this is some d/s fetish but we clearly aren’t in the good timeline.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ProperGanderPusher posted:

A nerd not picking up on obvious jokes and angrily confronting someone about lore is completely believable.

Remind me again why society decided nerds were cool around 2002 again?

I’m guessing when they started to make a poo poo ton of money at tech firms.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bonzo posted:

I have a friend who is a Director of Support in a very well known software company. His Boomer father always says, "well if you teach all the people how to learn computers, they won't need support and you'll be out of a job!!"

I worked one small software shop where the head of R&D ran a comic book store with a buddy of his. They gave all the in house Devs something like 20% off all merch and these guys were buying hundreds of dollars a month on rare Star Wars/Star Trek/DC/Marvel/etc exclusive toys and replicas.

Christ, being able to teach other people skills is one of the best ways to stay employed or get promoted at a reasonable employer.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lazyfire posted:

My company auto invoices everything, once it arrives we automatically cut a check. You would not believe the number of companies that are unable to accept that. We still get invoices mailed to us "just in case."

My company does a little thing called “net 360”.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Boomers don’t loving understand what collective action is, what systemic problems are and assume that everything happens at the level of individual choice.

Someone please use this as their PhD thesis and get a Nobel or something.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Drimble Wedge posted:

Boomers think lettuce = salad, and the daring ones will add other things.

They also don't apparently know what a salad spinner is for.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

whoa whoa whoa, this got glossed over far too quickly

are you telling me operas were horny?

Holy poo poo, absolutely loving horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgC3GGxF1E0

One thousand and three women in Spain alone!

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 9, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Professor Shark posted:

At in laws right now, Blue Bloods is on TV in the background and lol it is fascist propaganda for Boomers, it has to be intentional

CBS is just full of that blatant copaganda poo poo. NCIS (and predecessor JAG), CSI, that crazy show with Jeremy Piven as a tech CEO using his social media platform to find his pretty, white daughter’s killer via Reddit-style crowd sourcing, SWAT, SEAL Team, All Rise, etc etc etc. Every network does this, but CBS is the loving worst.

I literally looked at their weekly prime time schedule, and it’s like 80% this poo poo. I don’t get it with CBS, it’s just so blatant, so cheaply done and so dumb. It’s not Fox cheap, but pretty drat close.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PostNouveau posted:

I think there are a few things:

- Teachers unionize a lot and live more comfortable lives because of it.
- PMC types also see teaching as a failure state, like it's a backup career that no one is actually passionate about they just do it because they couldn't get a "real" job.
- Teachers are government employees paid usually with property taxes -- the worst possible tax in a Boomer's eye.

"PMC" is a weird thing to focus on, there are tons and tons of non-PMC types who hate teachers as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bobjr posted:

I once had someone complain to me that a teacher on her street just got a new car, which means she makes too much money.

You comment reminded me of the commercial at this end of this Key and Peele sketch “Teaching Center”.

https://youtu.be/aYOg8EON29Y

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Boomers write recipes that are always, horribly under seasoned. One clove of garlic? More like 2-3. Half an onion? Stick the whole thing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thing boomers love: complaining about property taxes.

Holy loving poo poo do they get pissed off when you point out that you went to school when they first started to gut things and how much harm it did. You become "nasty" and "divisive" when you start grilling them as to why they claim to "support schools" and then vote against school levies to repair elementary school buildings so they don't leak anymore. Yeah, the leads on Nextdoor hate me, but they can go gently caress themselves.