Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Commenting on local news Facebook posts about how actually everything is the demoRATs fault or Hillary selling uranium=why we should defund WIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Boomers like getting a cart and just stopping dead in their loving tracks in the entrance way of grocery store while they plan their next move.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Boomers like micromanaging nature. There will be no unauthorized plant life on their property. In the past week I've seen no less than five boomers out scratching out moss from between bricks in the driveway/walkways. One even had a specialized power tool to do it.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Number_6 posted:

college is a scam

It is, but not for the reasons boomers think.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

Boomers are loving obsessed with having *~property~*

Land is the only thing they can't make!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Speaking of Boomer books, I'm really having a hard time reading anything Steven King lately. The computer security stuff in Mr Mercedes was bad but I'm really getting sick of the "older guy has mind blowing sex with a virgin who is 20 years younger" sections.

Still? When I read Salem's Lot I was like 'huh, it's weird that the hero of this book is a writer that has a bunch of sex with the town's sweetheart, right?""

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

The_Franz posted:

A huge chunk of our 5th and 6th grade math curriculum was studying flashcards with equations like this on them with the goal of memorizing the answers. We then had timed tests on them where you had maybe 2-3 seconds to write down the answer and if you didn't have everything memorized you had no chance. I still have no idea what any of that crap was supposed to teach us, other than that math was stressful and sucked.

I had poo poo like this in the first and second grades for addition and subtraction. Just sheets full of dozen of equations we had to do in timed drills and it gave me intense, blistering panic to the point I'd hid in my closet and cry instead of doing math homework. I managed to coast on rote memorization until algebra where they got out the graphs and points and letters and I no longer knew what going on, and it was incredibly frustrating because I tried and I should have been good, because I was honor roll and advanced placement classes at everything thing else. Our math teacher was actually the football coach and his method of teaching was "well what does the text book tell you? x goes there, because that's where it belongs? Why don't you get it?"

I too was put into business math so I could graduate. At least I learned what interest and balance sheets were. I wish I could say when I went back to college in my late 20s I understood it, but I struggled with pretty basic stuff there too, like economics and accounting formulas.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Around 90/91 for me. Even now I get uncomfortable thinking about those long sheets.

My mom had some learn at home workbooks that sorta common core explained it, now that I've read what common core is, but I don't think she understood it too well either. I had such an aversion to math though so early in school it would have taken a lot to get me to have a healthy approach to it. I'm relived my husband had math as his best subject in school so when our son needs math homework help he can do it.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I don't think it's a boomer thing to reuse plastic containers. I do it with big Greek yogurt containers, which sane people should go through at a much faster rate than Cool Whip.

My mom, although technically a boomer I guess, is not one in spirit because she forbade poo poo like Cool Whip in the house. I don't think I've ever had it. Is it just fake whipped cream?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Nothing wrong with reusing containers, but I don't see a point if you already have a small set of tupperware.

You use them for things that aren't food. You keep your food in the tupperware.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Boomers like not giving the slightest amount of consideration to people younger than them. Like it doesn't occur to them that we're people too.

Today on the bus there was already a stroller when I got on, so I had to shove my son's next to the other one. It was a pretty tight fit-city strollers are bulky as gently caress. The mom who got there before me was already sitting across from her kid, but behind her in the only other seat my son would have been able to still see me on there was this Boomer couple. There was tons of other seats they could have moved to, but they just sat there staring at me while I awkwardly tried to stand between the strollers and door.

You just know they'd be the first to bitch if they got on a full bus and none of us young bloods hopped up to give them a seat.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

CPL593H posted:

My mom reads the obituaries every single day and has been doing this for longer than I care to remember. I have asked her why she does this. The response is this: "I have to see if it was anybody I know in case I have to send someone a card.". It's weird and morbid and I'll never understand the obsession with having to know whether or not someone you haven't seen since 1997 died. The addition of "I need to know if I have to send someone a card." is even weirder. It's a whole lot of mental inventory for poo poo that doesn't matter.

The concept of sending a card or even anything in the mail that isn't a package is some pretty big boomer and older energy. When we got married we had to send out invitations and stuff and gently caress asking all my friends their addresses, I just emailed everyone a PDF. My husband had to print out the PDF and mail it to this grandparents though. What was even a bigger pain the rear end was sending out birth announcements after our son was born, which was something my husband insisted on doing because his whole family does that stuff like that to please their boomer/silent gen members. Like I just had a baby so hard they had to stitch me back together, I don't have the inclination to address a bunch of envelopes to people I see once a year. They just turn into junk anyway, I got like a million birth announcements from my husband's gigantic family and I don't feel right just throwing them away so they get thrown into a drawer.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

LabyaMynora posted:

Is... is the baby's name Ralph?

No, his dad's is though.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Boomers like standing at the register and asking the only employee in the store a dozen questions about the stores reward program like they just time traveled here from 1880 and the idea of putting stickers on a little sheet of paper is just too much of a technological leap to loving put it together when they get handed the stickers. Also they then like to remember that they need a plastic bag after all and it's going to cost a nickle and the cashier has to ring that up now. And then they just like to stand there and look at the little stickers, oblivious to the rest of the people in line, for a good thirty seconds before slowly putting their crap in the tiny plastic bag.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Yeah, it's super common. Basically you spend 10 euro funbux at a drugstore/grocery and you get a sticker and you put it on a sheet and then you get glassware/towels/cookware or what have you when the sheet is full. Considering the boomer was yammering away in Dutch I assume she wasn't some foreigner or something.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Put frozen raspberries in your cheap white wine you rubes.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

We named our son an common, well known name that everyone can spell and pronounce and when we told our healthcare person filling out the paperwork on the phone she said "finally! A regular name!" so this is also a problem for people still having kids.

I have trouble remembering the names of any of my husband's nieces and nephews cause they all got weird names.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Am I reading this right or has no one mentioned Disney movies when it comes to dead parent storylines? The Incredibles and Mulan might be the only families unmarred by tragedy.

The dogs in 101 Dalmatians stayed married. That sounds dumb, but there was a scene early in the movie that implied that the dogs are also now married otherwise their sex would be illicit and their children would be bastards.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

It's not offensive or anything, but just... why? No one asked them to comment. If it was an attempt at small talk, sure, but it's never that.

A few days ago the woman behind me at the grocery store grabbed my arm when I was in the process of checking out and said "is that one of those chocolate bars with the salt in them?" and I was so stunned by this question. Did she want it? Was she warning me about it? Was there a Wonka-esque contest I hadn't heard about? And I go "no, it's just dark chocolate." She then told me she liked them salted caramel ones and I agreed that they were good. This seemed to satisfy her and that was the end of that.

I'm still pretty puzzled by the exchange.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

She wanted to jump your bones

Well I'm a curvy goonette so I think the odds of her hitting on my are pretty low cause I doubt lesbians/bisexuals are that bad at interacting with other women.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Least of the boomer crimes imo

I agree, it's was just puzzling as all hell.

Boomers also give me jokey poo poo for sighing in public, but that might be a cultural thing than a boomer specific thing cause I never heard of sigh shaming before I moved to the Netherlands. Not even like loud dramatic sighs, but just thoughtful ones. About once a year or so I'll in the grocery store or the drug store, looking at a big display of stuff and thinking about all the other poo poo I got to do and I'll sigh tiredly and some boomer will be summoned to go 'don't sigh so much! :)". I'm really more annoyed about this than the small talk because goddamn I can be tired while picking pasta, Kaaren.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Just like the retired guy that comes in to work once a week. Had a problem with his computer a couple of days ago. A quick Google search helped me fix the problem, but he still had to get in his, "Must be a female machine" for the umpteenth time in there.

Because it was a fixable problem that he refused to put any effort on his part into?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

ghost emoji posted:

boomers love buying you ugly and impractical "gifts" that you never asked for and have no room for

I love my mom, she bucks boomer trends in many ways, but I had to tell her to stop sending me stuff like glass wiener dogs I'm supposed to put vinaigrette in and giant paintings of the Virgin Mary because I have no room in my house for this stuff.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I can't it's buried in a big box of stuff that I can't display anywhere in my house because I'm not a boomer and I don't live in a McMansion.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

My glass wiener is for me only

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Look if you want a big glass wiener you're going to have to ask my mom yourself

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Those are the exact ones she sent me. I have no kitchen space for them, they are as large as my forearm. Who has that kinda counter space?

Edit-I do like them, I really do, but she spent like fifty bucks to mail them to me and I have to store them in the attic. It's just the tip of the iceberg that is my mom's love that she expresses with large and expensive impracticable gifts.

Ralph Crammed In fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2020

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

here in europe the "fake coughing on people" is mostly done by young people i think, i saw a bunch of lovely looking kids with fade haircuts who went into a sudden coughing fit as they walked past me in the store while i was wearing a mask, old people seem to mostly be behaving and seem to be the most willing to actually follow the distancing rules

There have been multiple protests in the Hague about having to be 1.5 meters away from people :geert: There was one this weekend and we saw the footage on the news and it was all olds and/or boomers. No one gives a poo poo about social distancing anymore in the stores and the only place you need to wear a mask is on public transport so that's the only place people wear them. I had to go to the doctor for an unrelated thing a while ago and while I was making chit chat with the nurse, who had corona as did everyone in the doctor's office back in March, for sure thinks there is going to be a second wave here because people no longer care. Everything has opened back up like pretty much normal only with a few precautions against corona, but that is still not enough for the boomers I guess.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

My mom gleefully explained once that the word "holiday" derives from "holy day" and it's stupid to get mad at people saying happy holidays because it means holy days. It's a magical thinking on words, like it's an incantation or something, but the whole argument that saying happy holidays kills Christmas is also magical word thinking. I guess she universe-brained her fellow boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Bing Crosby was the Gavrilo Princip of the war on Christmas.