Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

I love how Van Halen channeled extremely not-Boomer energy when talking about this:

https://twitter.com/wolfvanhalen/status/1201563255648477185?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Rock has been dead for about 10-20 years and its spiritual progeny is split among subgenres for various flavors of pop, electronica, indie, and metal outside of deliberate throwback acts hth you loving boomer.

Mid-90s chart toppers like Blink 182 and Eve 6 man, they had stuff to say. Music today is just annoying kids bouncing around and whining.

Yeah there’s tons of good psychedelic rock. A lot of the bands have their entire albums on YouTube.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

The government literally admitted UFOs exist in 2019 and no one acknowledges this

Wait what? Like ‘oh we don’t know what this is?’ (experimental terrestrial aircraft) or ‘we saw the greys’ level of UFO?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was more "there are a lot more privately owned drones and poo poo around so making sure airspace is clear means we need more robust reporting of unidentified objects to make it safer."

Ah, okay. That’s completely reasonable and won’t make me join Q, in that case.

Content: Indian boomers in the US sure do love Modi. :(
But then my in-laws are voting for Sanders since my sister in law and I worked on them for a week, so I guess there’s that. At the very least they seem to care about their kids’ futures, which is more than my white boomer parents/parents’ friends.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 15, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Okay maybe I’m the boomer here. What’s this?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Maybe I’m just a dork, then. Thanks.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Shout out to my dad, who will hate cops til the day he dies

Wanna meet that dad.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

What exactly is it about Boomers where you look at pictures of them in their 20s in the 1970s, and they look like they’re in the 40s? Was it the hair or the clothes or the huffing of lead fumes and asbestos and lead paint particles that aged them rapidly?

Yes.

\/ And it's probably sun exposure. All of my mom's friends have had melanoma since they're white and would sunbathe for hours in the 60s without sunscreen \/

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 18, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Framboise posted:

I'll take "Tweets that will age like milk" for 2,996, Alex.

Fixed

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

My parents done boomer’d.

Parents: 65 YO mom (former hospital director), 67 YO dad (history of bronchitis, overweight).

They live near my sister (history of bronchitis) and her in-laws, so the plan was a group of 6 adults and 2 babies to be a closed loop, since my sister and BiL work from home in fairly intense jobs, and all of the parents are retired so they can take turns helping out. Reasonable, right?

My parents decide to meet up with their friends and go to their house for dinner, and then have these same friends over several times. One of the friends is a retired doctor.

Did I mention one of the babies (2YO) was like 3 months premature and the other is 4 months old? Now my sister needs to cut my parents off for a couple weeks and they’re upset. What the gently caress about don’t meet up with people do people not understand?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

My mom heard from her friends about this horrible South Park show, so she watched an episode with me. It was the underpants gnomes episode, so she actually told her friends that they were dumb and it wasn't that bad of a show.

My sister and I later got grounded for a week or two for learning and singing the entire Uncle Fucker song at dinner, which seems reasonable for middle schoolers.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm sure someone else will have more examples, but I'm racking my brain and the only actors I can think of with significant facial scars are Tina Fey and Joaquin Phoenix.

Michael K Williams has one, and Tommy Flanaganhas has a Glasgow smile. They get ‘badass’ roles, though, so limp_cheese is right about that.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

i find Silence of the Lambs to have really honest portrayals of sexism (the cadaver inspection especially) and shows the masculine traits and characters failing. Multiple Miggs throws cum at Clarice but is so weak that he’s driven to kill himself by Lecter. A soft-spoken gentleman that would likely have been called a “dandy” a few decades back.

It’s also a v different portrayal from Brian Cox’s turn as Lecter years prior in Manhunter.

I’m not great with subtext/symbolism, etc. In part because I’m a straight white guy, so I probably don’t catch these nods. But yeah, I never saw Silence as anti-feminine traits.

I agree.

-Opening scene has Clarice in an elevator surrounded by tall dudes. A bunch of them look at her since - hey! pretty woman.
-The guy who runs the mental hospital asks her out even though she's on a mission to talk to the most dangerous patient. Gets pissy when she says no.
-Boss throws her under the bus in the autopsy scene. Clarice calls him out and he actually acknowledges that she's right.
-Villain wants to make a woman suit.
-Use of the camera showing these powerful men (mental hospital guy, her boss, bunch of cops in the autopsy scene, Hannibal, Buffalo Bill) looking directly at the camera (Clarice). This is what a lot women deal with every day.

SotL is literally about the objectification of women and how it's everywhere. It's the point of the movie. Clarice isn't some 1-dimensional girl boss, either--she's shown as emotionally vulnerable, but at the same time able to work in a high-stress, male-dominated environment. Her competency and ability to navigate a male-dominated world help her save the senator's daughter in a way that feels real.

Update: Director Jonathan Demme and Anthony Hopkins are not boomers! Rejoice!

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 15, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

My partner and I grew up in very different financial circumstances and it's so bizarre listening to their parents talk about the past. They lived in a poor rural town and despite the poverty, a huge amount of emphasis was still put into appearances. My mother-in-law puts a huge focus on cleanliness because, despite the fact that everyone was poor, there was a huge divide between Dirty Poor and Clean Poor. When she describes people of the past (and often in the present) she always takes on a very grave, deliberate tone when she describes if the people were clean or dirty. Her mother used to scrub the Hell out of them before church because being Dirty Poor was a social death sentence.

My favorite line from my grandma was "I didn't like it when they called us dirty Mexicans because we were very clean." She ended up working as a seamstress for a while before she got a kickass union job (single mom after my grandpa died when my dad was 9), so she would go to used clothing stores and tailor any clothes she bought to look super stylish. She also got a bunch of Lacoste alligator patches from used polos and would sew them onto cheap polos for my dad so he didn't get made fun of in his rich high school, which I think is pretty charming.

I think a lot of this made my dad not a shithead. He's not able to cross over the billionaires shouldn't exist line, but at Thanksgiving one year he said that he "loving hates cops," (never been in any serious trouble with the law) so at least he has that going for him.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 3, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Outrail posted:

Putting your name in your business seems to be an older person thing. People with their name in their business name tend be shitheads. Correlation?

Can we talk about the ‘[old timey thing/tool name] & [something organic]’ name trend that needs to stop? Spoke & Flower, Nail & Thistle, etc?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Srice posted:

wrt vegetarianism I wonder how much of the pushback by older people is because they grew up in an era where terrible recipes were common and they never changed their palate, so all they know about meat-less meals is that you have potatoes and then some other vegetables without much flavor added.

I once had a vegetarian meal at a restaurant that gave me a potato and some soggy, flavorless green beans and it seemed like the sort of place run by older folks that only serve AMERICAN meals.

Here's an head of lettuce or whatever you people eat.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They might be maintaining 250 lbs. by eating 3,000 calories a day, so if they go back to their regular diet after losing weight, they'll gain right back.

Camus claims that when Sisyphus acknowledges the futility of his task and the certainty of his fate, he is freed to realize the absurdity of his situation and to reach a state of contented acceptance. With a nod to the similarly cursed Greek hero Oedipus, Camus concludes that "all is well," indeed, that "one must imagine Sisyphus happy."

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Haha, yeah. If you think Boomers are ungrateful shitheads now, it's going to be totally bonkers when white largely male Boomers are melting down left and right over college and pro football not happening in September.

At least we finally addressed brooding antisocial February fever this year.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I saw this thing listed on FB marketplace this morning:

Does it say if it runs small or large? I'm usually a M-L depending on brand.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Piss Meridian posted:

What percentage of the Holocaust victims were over 50?

Not sure, but your chances of survival is one was >50 or <10 was pretty much 0. At least deported from NL in this study. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10680-016-9403-3

So it'd basically be:
(count of deported population > 50) / count of all victims

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 6, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I think a lot of boomer behavior can be explained via the China thread:

No Why

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

Monopoly in particular was intended to be frustrating and lovely for all the players except the one who has the monopoly. It's intended to teach kids about how awful monopolies are in real life.

I'm going to buy my parents a copy of Gloomhaven so that they can teach my 2-year-old niece about cooperation.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

olives black posted:

just lol at attending any live performance that isn't held in an abandoned warehouse or someone's basenent

Hey, Bottom of the Hill in SF is fine.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Boomers: demand that servers work for less than min. wage and get tips so the service is better, then they themselves tip like poo poo and are confused why service always sucks.

Rest of the world: no tipping, people get paid what they should, service is fine.

I’ve found service to be marginally better in America, but it’s probably because I’m polite and ask how they’re doing as well (#1 tip for showing that you’re not an rear end, coming from a former coffee shop employee). I also am monolingual, so that probably doesn’t help. Not enough to care, though, especially as I’d rather that people make a living wage.

My dad’s always confused why I get better service than him. Hot tip: don’t freak out and accept mistakes and people want to help you more! Who’d have thought?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

snergle posted:

not quite. she thinks it illegal for your phone to not work for calling the cops because calling the cops is a right. she thinks that even with no phone service using the phone to dial 911 has to work same with your power out. its some dumb poo poo

You can call 911 without a SIM card with most phones. Maybe she got this confused?

Why am I acting in good faith with this? We know the answer.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Yeah, Satanists are cool AF. (not the ones who actually believe in Satan)

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i think i might have posted this before but i'm not sure and it completely summarizes what the older generation is like for me, so here goes: my mom has some friends who are sort of rich cruise ship type people who went on holiday to visit hitler's mountain retreat "to learn about history", the guy is fat and the lady is frumpy and annoying, they live in a countryside mansion. one day an elephant wanders into their garden and starts eating pears from one of their trees and just generally being an elephant. their reaction to this event is to call the police and shout at them over the phone to come and shoot the elephant.

the elephant apparently used to belong to a zoo but was retired after it became illegal to use wild animals in zoos here in the netherlands, it gets taken for walks in the woods but had wandered off somehow and its owner was looking for it. the story made the local news. i think if this had happened to me id probably be a bit worried that the elephant would cause some damage or something and i guess i would call some animal rescue agency or something, but these people just went straight for "loving shoot it" and even afterwards they didnt have a sense of humor about the event or realised how it might be funny or cool to have an actual elephant show up in your backyard, even as just like an amusing anecdote

of course the elephant wasnt shot or anything, the police knew who the owner was and let him know about it, but that reaction the couple had to a big animal walking into their garden and doing nothing worse than stealing pears was the most "boomer" thing i can think of

I adopted my dog from an elephant sanctuary due to a trip I could finally afford because my elephant-loving grandma passed away. I hope Klaus comes back to life and steals their bikes.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...there's a story how you adopted a dog from an elephant sanctuary. Was it raised by elephants? Did it think it was a very small elephant?

It was an elephant rescue place in Thailand that picked up a ton of dogs in the 2012 floods and adopts them out to whoever. 10/10 they’re good dogs. Elephant Nature Park

things boomers like: riding elephants, not caring about animals

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Actually being irreplaceable at your workplace while not doing poo poo owns lol y'all should stop being model workers producing maximum value for the boss

If you’re not stealing from your boss, you’re stealing from your family.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if any of you need me to fight your dads or stepdads i absolutely will.

this also goes for the estranged parents thread. i will square up. i will knock on your door in a full suit of armor and chase your dad down with a lance on horseback.

your moms i cannot harm unless they're like a sexy lady assassin who makes the first move.

There was a heartwarming video I saw about an older man who was giving hugs at an LGBT event for people who were rejected by their families. I think I know what the follow up video could be if you want to go viral.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Of all the things one can pick to rightfully criticize the boy scouts you had to pick ableism lol

Things boomers like: molesting a huge % of kids in their care.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Scouts as a concept could have just stopped at being a club for hanging out in the woods and playing with fire and knives, but they had to make a whole organized thing out of it.

So tonight at Scouts we learned to draw our own hentai. Can I go back next week?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I have a theory that because they’re a small generation, a lot of Gen X are in mid-level positions that they aren’t qualified for, such as your (yes, your) boss.

Meanwhile half of the Millennials at the lower end have Master’s degrees.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

honestly being a lonely old person with a lot of money but trapped by a false sense of propriety seems really miserable. part of what makes the current set of old people so incomprehensible is how they told themselves that they need all kinds of things that don't really matter

like i could live in a tiny home or even a van or something and as long as i have a kitchen, a toilet, a shower and books and a computer for entertainment id be perfectly happy. not even out of some silly hippie philosophy, just because i genuinely don't feel the need to have more than pure utility and fun. actual poverty and unemployment sucks but not giving a flying poo poo about social status and doing things "properly" is great. im glad i married someone who feels the same way

It’s interesting explaining to people that we don’t see the need to ‘upgrade’ to more than a 3 bedroom house. There’s 2 of us and at most 1 set of kids. How much house does someone need?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Whatever brand of Christianity Jimmy Carter is seems to be on the level.

Ooohhhhhweeeeeee
Look up what Carter did in a little country called The Savior.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some sort of peanut-based crime?

There certainly were shells on the ground.

He helped kill like 40k leftists and peasants in El Salvador.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I remember in the Stand there were a bunch of Black people who ran into the news building wearing what else? Animal print clothing. God bless you, Mr. King. You sure nailed late the 80s/early 90s writing style by white people who don’t interact with any Black people.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i went to her adult daughter's wedding once and it was one of the most disturbing events ive ever seen

:justpost:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

IANAL, but I think it’s technically battery and not assault, although it may vary from state to state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

It shows an odd Western/US focus, which I guess shouldn't be surprising. Like everything is Pelosi or Soros and then you hear that Saudi Arabia is essentially closing Mecca to pilgrims this year because the Democrats are trying to hurt...Trump?

Further proof of the Islamo-Democrat conspiracy!