Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tucking way-too-big t-shirts into a pair of jeans.

Needing to know your ethnicity*

Not understanding why I like the coffee from the local roaster instead of settling for Tim Hortons -- right before they dump a shitload of sugar and cream into their coffee.

Asking "is it spicy?" the moment any vaguely "ethnic" food is even mentioned. (I once heard some woman tell her husband ten times to ask the waitress at a Swiss Chalet if their featured "butter chicken" was spicy. "Hon, is it spicy? Ask her-- ask the girl if it's spicy, hon. Hon?")

Doing everything they can to scare away people from a volunteer organization that sorely needs new blood, then wondering why no young people are joining.

Complaining about money and taxes despite never learning how any of it works. Worst is when they try to lecture me, an actual loving tax accountant, how tax brackets work :smith:.

"You're 23 years old! Why don't you have a job? You gotta pound the pavement, not use a computer." This was just after the 2008 meltdown.

"You're over 30? Why don't you even have a girlfriend?" Then they try to give me hilariously outdated advice. Not nearly as often as the job thing, but it's happened.

Same with owning a house, and why it's a "good investment." Again, I work with money and read about finance. The Canadian real estate industry is hosed for now.

Really, really old jokes. I have more a few boomers (and a guy under 40 who acts like one) in my office, and they really like old "Oh, hardly workin', eh?" type of jokes. Nice people, but they really like those same old jokes.

Wearing the same cheap suits to a fuction (like a wedding) they bought in the '80s that don't fit anymore.

Golf.

*this one may be because I know a lot of older European (mostly Polish) immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The Dregs posted:

I wonder why they like chain restaurants so much? What were non-chain restaurants like in the 70's that made them avoid them like the plague?

Chain restaurants are made to be really, really consistent. They may not be great, but boomers also grew up in an era where being skilled with cooking wasn't exactly something to be expected. You only had access to basic staples, and learned to cook those.

For what it's worth, I've been able to break my dad of wanting to go to a chain restaurant all the time (which are pretty much everywhere where my parents live), but he still doesn't like trying new things -- unless it's his idea. He really likes the new all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant, but he'll sit there eating mostly appetizers.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I'm in the middle of tax season, and as an accountant I coincidentally read an article written by a local boomer about how it's getting harder to file my self-employed taxes via pen and paper. As a professional working in the field, I'm glad they're moving to mostly-online filing because it makes my job so much easier.

Fun fact: the Canada Revenue Agency's budget was slashed a few years ago by boomer-loved prime minister Stephen Harper, and unsurprisingly could not deal with the influx of calls from tax rules he had changed that same year.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Negrostrike posted:

loving up on social media

Wasn't there a comedian that had "I just heard the unfortunate news. LOL." and finding out their mom thought it meant "lots of love" as part of their routine? I forget who it was.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Animated Nerd posted:

Yeah, I'm working part time at H&R for the season and we get a couple of people a day asking for the paper tax packages, since they can't find them anywhere. One guess for the demographic. A few of them love paper so much that they insist we paper file for them, since they can't trust computers. Fine, we charge a you extra :10bux: and now you get to wait for a month before you get your refund, by all means go wild.

Also making some snide comment about Trudeau as a joke to break the ice. I'm getting real tired of those.

Oh, man that reminds me:

Trudeau jokes. I'm not a fan of the man by any means, but holy gently caress does everyone over a certain age like making really bad and over-used jokes about him. Specifically him. I never remember derision about a previous prime minister or political leader in Canada like I did now. I usually think that "___ derangement syndrome" is bullshit, but in Trudeau's case, it's real. I've had older extended family members start barking at his mere image on TV more than once.

Also: facebook groups that share these jokes and similar political stripes. I know it's obvious to blame Facebook, but these groups really serve to isolate boomers among each other where they reinforce all their stereotypes with bad memes.

This one's not as universal since it's mostly white boomers, but: thinking you will agree with them right off the bat. I can't tell you the amount of times boomers will assume that, since I'm white like they are, that I'm a safe space (ironically) for them to say whatever they want and not be criticized. Like, a racist or sexist joke out of nowhere, and they become offended if you don't laugh. I've never really experienced that with anyone under the age of 50.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Drunk Nerds posted:

I would love to hear these kernels of wisdom.

I started wishing recently that I'd written them down, because I've forgotten most of them. Most were generic like anyone would tell you, but some were just like, "Keep asking her out until she says 'yes'" kind of stuff. Or "go to dances at the legions and ethnic halls like we used to", that don't exist anymore, and the few that do are still catered towards their generation.

Oddly, I've actually gotten better dating advice from the generation above them.

Omnitrix posted:

This happened a lot in 2016, I work retail and old white boomers would stroll in and yell out “few more months till that n***** is out of the White House” About Obama. Then call me a liberal because I didn’t think it was funny.

I once bartended one of the aforementioned dances, and this one guy (might not have been a boomer. Hard to tell how old someone is if it looks like they're just falling apart. Seriously, I only remember seeing like, 5 teeth) sees me struggling to open a bottle of beer for some reason. He then told me maybe next time, I should "use a black man's teeth". My brother was the other bartender, and he and I just gave each other the biggest, weirdest, "What the hell does that even mean?" faces. It was that perplexing to us that we couldn't restrain our usual customer-facing cheer. This guy then said, "Ah, you're no fun," before he walked away.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Rad-daddio posted:

I think you might've confused "boomer" with "eccentric writer"

Hell, those first two alone sound like it's from goons.txt.

The Dregs posted:

The obvious reply was "I sure couldn't use your teeth." Just sitting there for you, waiting. You blew it.

My first thought to say, "Buddy, I wouldn't go around mentioning people's teeth if I were you."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Beastie posted:

They used to make vintage bottle openers that were black characters with wide mouths and buck teeth. The teeth were the leverage that plied the cap off. My mom collects bottle openers so she has two of those and some of white folk with four eyes.

I just googled those. Holy poo poo.

Bonaventure posted:

gotta pound pavement if you wanna pound rear end

:golfclap:

Like a steak ordered by a boomer in a chain restaurant: well done.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

PyPy posted:

Boomers do this when starting an Excel formula: +=

Yeah, I've seen these at work. We have to carry forward excel files year to year when we work on clients' tax returns, and I can guess who originally created a file based on how the previous years' files look.

On top of that, certain sum functions open up Outlook when you click on them because they include an '@' in the formula for some reason.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The handwriting thing is hilarious to me, because I've noticed a lot of boomers with bad handwriting. My boss bucks a lot of boomer trends (like telling me I should buy a house), but his handwriting is awful. I've had to learn to translate it for other, newer coworkers.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, my first job out of high school involved signing my name all day long. That'll take your signature from a complicated cursive work of art to a couple of scribbles in no time.

For about a year, I was the financial secretary for an organization. Since most of the actual active members are boomer and above, it's mostly a cash & cheque business, so I had to write out and sign a shitload of cheques by hand. Long story short, I went through a similar thing that happened to Richard Nixon:

(Related to this, my mom has an annoying habit of just criticizing immaterial things, like how my signature doesn't have all the letters written out. She is just that pedantic about how things "should" be).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Noslo posted:

Oh boy, boomers.

Every time I e-mail her at work, she prints it out, walks across the office with the printout, and talks to me in person about it.

Not only inefficient, but now theres a gap in the communication chain. Whenever myself or others point this out, we get a :smug: "well that's how i've always done it".

She's been there 27 years and makes 80k as a secretary.

One of the reasons I always try to email clients, so I at least have a record of their word for most of the information that I need. Especially if my boss ends up asking me, "Where did you get that number?"

Hell, I finished an auditing course months ago, and one of the primary mantras was, "If it isn't documented, it isn't done." I don't mind calling to clarify or follow-up, but in an email, I at least have a written list of things I need to refer to.

Inept posted:

change your signature to "gently caress u mom"

Aww, I already changed it to "No you shut the gently caress up dad".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Beastie posted:

Seriously. I work with so many product codes and quantities that I always prefer emailing. My boss is always asking why no one uses the phones.

How easy for you is it to copy down 50 different 16 digit numbers by hand? Good because that's why I keep emailing. Plus when a customer tries to BS their way into extra stuff I can pull up an email and say "Nah, you got that stuff, here you are asking for it, and here I am responding."

I know I posted that "boomer complains about online filing" link earlier, so I'll follow it up by reiterating that I really, really love online access to clients' tax info for just that reason. It's literally right there in front of me to print off for confirmation.

Mind_Taker posted:

Having incredibly loud conversations in a movie theater in the middle of the movie

I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in a theatre when it came out years ago, and this boomer couple sat in front of me, and would not shut up trying to figure out what was going on in the movie. It's not exactly that difficult of a movie, but it does require more attention than your average blockbuster.

Bonzo posted:

I bet he also backs into parking spaces.

If you ever want a fun time, go to your nearest Costco parking lot, find a car that's backed into its spot (ideally a big car), and wait until the owner comes back and tries to figure out how to get their groceries into the trunk.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Contrasted with his predecessor's:

He changed it for most of his tenure as Treasury Secretary. Not surprising, because it was somehow news in 2013.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

FlimFlam Imam posted:

As far as boomer music goes, Jimmy Buffett is king. If you ever want to be the Pied Piper of the boomers, you'll have to play Jimmy Buffett songs and they'll follow you to their doom.

The source of my avatar nailed it when they said, "He's mellow, but not smooth. Kinda lovely."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

heyitsamanda posted:

eating shitloads of carbs and wondering why they're overweight, while refusing to change their eating habits in any meaningful way

My dad was diagnosed with Celiac disease years ago. I thought that maybe it'd be a wake-up call to change his dietary habits, or at least more fresh foods. Like, more lean meats and fresh vegetables.

It wasn't. He eats the same poo poo, but will make sure that it has no gluten. Instead of a bag of potato chips, he'll eat a whole bag of Doritos, "They're gluten-free, so it's OK." Or for lunch, he'll grab three slices of gluten-free bread and slather margarine on it using a chef's knife. The margarine I understand, because he's been in for heart surgery, but he just has this attitude of "It's OK. I know what I'm doing."

He lost some weight recently, but that was due to an unrelated hospital stay: relying on an IV and not really liking the hospital food. He has seen me lose 90lb but still won't take any advice.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Boomers love all-inclusive beach resorts in foreign countries where they never have to leave their safe enclave and go out into the actual country to meet any brown people or brave the local food.

The resort thing isn't just boomers. Our bookkeeper (late 30s-early 40's) came back from her sister's wedding at a resort in Mexico, and it seemed like more than half of my small office had tons of opinions and warnings about other resorts.

Ironically, the one person who didn't was my boss, who is the only boomer there regularly. He likes to explore nature and hiking and all that (and was the only one who didn't think that pad thai we ordered once was "spicy"). We have one guy who's just under 40 here that really does fall under a lot of the boomer cultural stereotypes, but I think that's because he hangs around his parents a lot.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Club Sandwich posted:

added bonus that air poppers are ubiquitous and "obsolete," so they're easy to find on the cheap

I started using an old one to roast fresh coffee. Doesn't make a lot at once, but it's enough to get through a weekend at a time. Best part is that once the chaff starts splitting, it just blows it away.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Bonzo posted:

I know, right? Some guy in Brantford, ON (a total poo poo hole) came up with this. They also sell hotdogs but I guess New York Hot Dogs was already taken or something so he just choose the next menu item.

As someone raised in said shithole, I'd forgotten about that. I just remembered that was a front-page story in the local paper years ago. The entire city has a large Boomer undercurrent -- which makes their astonishment that young people aren't moving in and keeping the economy going even more hilarious.

I've said it before, but Canadian chains have this weird thing about naming themselves after US placenames, like New York Fries, Boston Pizza, Montana's, California Sandwiches, and a few others I'm probably blocking out of my memory.

There's also Shoeless Joe's, a sports bar & grill chain named after an American baseball player.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Bonzo posted:

I lived here in 2003 and moved away form Brant county in 2010. Don't forget that its also the home of Wayne Gretzky which somehow makes his father, Walter, a local celebrity. The entire town is nothing but cookie cutter suburbs who's owners all work in Hamilton/Ancaster but choose to live in Brantford because it's cheap. And it is such a joy to hear them discuss local Six Nations issues.

To be fair to Walter, he does do a lot of stuff in the community. Yeah, I have no idea why he's a local celebrity either, but he was. I remember it was huge news when his mother died.

Then again, I remember when it was huge news that they were filming Silent Hill there: first people complained it was going to paint the town in a negative light, then they started thinking that it would boost tourism. Neither of which happened; the former because the reputation is pretty low, and the latter because no one gave a poo poo anyway.

As for the Six Nations stuff? You're not kidding. Canadians will trip over themselves to tell people how we're not racist and welcoming of all cultures, but oh boy does that have a huge caveat. Canadians, especially boomers (to bring it back to that), love to complain and poo poo on the First Nations. I once bartended a wedding at the Polish hall there, where one side (or maybe both) were Native, and hoo boy did I ever get "warned". Forgetting that, y'know, we also don't have stereotypes about us Poles being alcoholics. They were all really nice and polite, too. Ironically, the one fight that did break out is because someone from a wedding at a nearby hall came over and tried to crash it. (Weirder coincidence that not only was it a Polish dude that crashed it, but my friend's cousin -- his brother was getting married there).

I mean poo poo, people warned me about moving to Hamilton, forgetting that statistically, crime's way higher in Brantford, not to mention teen pregnancy and drug abuse. Anyway, that's my digression. Thanks for reading.

Iron Crowned posted:

This is pretty much every mid to small city with one or two main industries. Young people don't want to move to a minor city with fewer job prospects because they have an "entertainment district," consisting of about a block of bars and nightclubs.

I remember about a decade ago when I was living in Wichita, in an effort to staunch the people getting degrees and leaving they launched an ad campaign, which mostly consisted of billboards and other advertisements that said "Face it, you're in Wichita."

We also have this weird mishmash of suburban sprawl and "rural" identity. To this day, I will never be able to explain the pervasiveness of $40,000 pick-up trucks as status symbols, except to some ingenious marketing on Ford's behalf.

BigDave posted:

An American baseball player who helped throw the 1919 World Series for a mob gambling syndicate.

:patriot:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BigDave posted:

Because he was part of the 60's, volunteered for Vietnam, became a hero, but without the icky 'civil disobedience' baggage. He even had a Black Friend.

He's Republican Boomer bait, pure and simple.

He's even the ideal soldier because he's too dumb to do anything but what his drill sergeant tells him to.

Having said that, I love the movie. It's a great comedy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Bonzo posted:

Look at Google maps and you'll see how different both sides are. Niagara, NY is not good. It suffered much of the same fate as Buffalo and while I think its on the mend, all that's there is a shady casino and some outlet malls. the Border Guards will give you poo poo any time you cross because there's so much drug activity.

On the Canadian side, it's like a mini Vegas. In the last 15 years more and more high rise hotels have gone up next to the falls, even a new casino. In fact the old casino was so popular they just kept it so now you have two massive casinos. Clifton Hill is full of wax museums, SA's favorite haunted house, laser tag, etc. There's a really good strip club there. Outside the tourist area the town itself is pretty lovely and run down but it seems like the old hotels are slowly being bought out and bulldozed.

There are also vineyard tours in the nearby Niagara region, so you have even more of an excuse for being day-drunk.

Having said that, the Forty Creek distillery is like, halfway between where I live and Niagara. It's only a 30 minute drive, and I can't believe I've only gone once for the free distillery tour.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Knight posted:

Boomers like having a dining room table and inviting company over and they all show up in suits to eat a dinner you prepared and set out the good china for

Reminds me: most boomers I know don't wear good suits. They last bought a suit in the '80s or '90s and still insist on wearing it, even though it doesn't fit. Once saw a guy who must've lost weight in the interim, because he looked like he insisted on wearing pants that were two sizes too big. If his pants weren't pleated, they sure as poo poo were now.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Grape posted:

I thought this was relatively unremarkable until I noticed the loving "2019".
What the fuckkkkk.

I love the part where it says it's "a classic from...", as if it's worth revisiting a really bad joke that they believe is really a truism that's stood the test of time.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Boomers when entering the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Grape posted:

Italian Boomers love to hoot and holler about how badass mafia movies are with pride, and then the next moment they're talking about the savage blacks and hispanics with their thugs and drugs and pimps.

Vito Corleone displays this same attitude in The Godfather, and I almost laugh every single time I see it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mind_Taker posted:

Attending minor league baseball games

Keeping score at minor league baseball games

Holy poo poo.

Somehow, the hall I belong to started partnering with the local minor baseball team, and we started selling 50/50 tickets at the games. My dad, as part of the executive, had to show up and sell these tickets once in a while (as did I back when I was part of the team and lived in town).

Somehow, he's actually gotten into the game there. Not big enough to know who any of the players are, but he's actually following the team and updating me on how they do. It's uncanny. He's never shown interest in baseball at all, but somehow he's now into that team.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

MC Hawking posted:

Boomers also love to latch onto pop culture fads and talk down to younger people about it while displaying gross amounts of ignorance on said subject.

A couple of years ago, my dad told me out of nowhere he thought that Lady Gaga's career had disappeared because, and I quote, "We haven't heard from Gaga, there, in a while."

He doesn't follow any music or movie news, but extrapolated this based on his very, very narrow understanding.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

mekkanare posted:

They love to retire from their job and then come back a week later in the exact same position. They do this so they can collect both their pension and salary.

We have a guy who comes in once a week who does this. To be fair to him, it's because Tuesday is the day my boss goes to see clients, so he just uses his desk to do a few files here and there.

I had to print something off of the printer in my boss's office while this guy was in there, as it wouldn't print from the communal printer, and sure enough, this guy used his stock, "Oh, must be a female machine" joke. I know he was expecting a laugh or something, because he put his hand beside his mouth to amplify it so someone else would hear it.

For some reason, most of my office is OK with these same repetitive jokes.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Picnic Princess posted:

Like that old fart who built that little staircase in a city park for a fraction of the cost than the city would have done it, was super proud and everyone was like "take THAT city, wasting our tax dollars on something that's only $100 from Home Depot" and it turned out the stairs were super janky and dangerous and not fit to have hundreds of people a day walking on them.

Holy poo poo, I remember this. Toronto city hall estimated that the job would cost a couple of tens of thousands of dollars, but that's because they legally have to build it to code using sturdier material and a bunch of CYA stuff that the average person doesn't even know exists.

Almost as if the city government has more detailed information than the average person about construction and avoiding lawsuits.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Barudak posted:

Wait, what loving boomer doesnt like savings bonds for children?

I've had a couple boomers try to tell me about how good savings bonds are (again, I'm an actual accountant with investment experience), and were surprised when I told them it hasn't been a good idea for at least two decades.

Similar boomers then complain about how kids aren't buying homes, even though interest rates are "way lower than when I bought a house. I mean, I was paying 20% interest!" even though the principal at the time was the equivalent of $75-100k today, not the half-million you seem to need just to consider a home.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Shifty Pony posted:

Boomers like guffawing at their own jokes

You can just stop right there.

I always hated it when they used to try to tell me jokes back when I worked as a bartender. Nothing like getting the groom's Uncle Jack to come up to you and make a bad joke (50/50 it's a racist or homophobic joke), telegraphing the punchline, and having to smile and laugh.

As much as my old man bucks a number of these stereotypes, he falls face-first into a lot of them as well. So much so it's hard to tell which part's just him being him, and which part is the boomer.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

mekkanare posted:

Boomers like the 2007 comedy film "Wild Hogs".

Lotta boomer energy:

https://twitter.com/NightOpening/status/1140393964887040000

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Cheesus posted:

The time: The early 1990s.

The scene: Dinner time at a friends house.

The meal: Takeout Chinese.

The Boomer dad "joke": "This is pretty good for chink food, isn't it? Ha ha!"

Add a mention of the food including dog, and you're set.

Related: I just remembered every single time my family (including extended family) had duck for dinner, one of the older members of my family would inevitably say, "Yeah, it's Donald!" or "Yeah, it's Daffy!" when the duck was served.

Like clockwork.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

EugeneJ posted:

On the topic of VHS tapes....

My mom asked me once on short-notice to record The '60s, a miniseries that aired about the 1960s decade.

I replied I couldn't because I didn't have any blank VHS tapes.

"You have tons of tapes - loving do it - it's a movie about MY LIFE"

So I took a tape filled with cartoons or something that I had made years before (before YouTube I valued poo poo like that) and set it to record that night.

The next day after school I saw her watching the tape and asked how the movie was.

"It's really bad"

Holy gently caress, we watched that miniseries in grade 10 history. It must've been just to kill time, because my teacher was nowhere near boomer age.

it checks off every single '60s nostalgia stereotype ever. I know I'm a guy that loves Forrest Gump (because it's hilarious), but this was as if you had told a computer to program "movie about the 1960's".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Bonzo posted:

This reads more like, "60s: The Stereotypes"

It really, really was. As I recall, it's an idyllic '50s family until the '60s come.

The clean-cut, football-playing oldest son gets drafted into Vietnam. Comes back hosed up mentally, and starts to just do nothing but grow out his hair.

The younger son goes to college, and becomes part of the anti-war movement there (I can't remember if it's to Berkeley for sure, but let's say that it is). He's even the guy that gets the idea to put a flower in a national guardsman's rifle.

The daughter becomes the obvious druggie hippie who moves to San Francisco and falls into every single "free love, maaan" stereotype. Ends up with a baby while the father (who she totally thought loved her), and has to come crawling back to her parents who begrudgingly welcome her back.

I can't believe I remember any of that.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mr. Bones posted:

I don't know if it's this one, but in high school we watched some kind of movie or miniseries about the 60s in history class and at the end the oldest son comes home from Vietnam and dies from getting hit in the sternum with a football while playing catch in the front yard :lol: it was the dumbest bullshit ending to anything I've ever seen

Entirely possible. The movie ends with the family coalescing back in the suburbs, with the old-school old father trying to reconcile with Julia Stiles by putting a flower on her plate of grilled food and flashing her the "peace" V with his fingers, and I think there's a family football game going on.

I really need to find this miniseries and just watch it after a few drinks. I really, really can't believe I remember that much from watching it 18 years ago.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

mindstorm posted:

You get old enough without being active enough and you'll be too frail to pick yourself up off the floor or do basic things. One fall/slip/whatever scares you into not trying to do X again, then you become weaker as a result of moving/doing even less, which makes you more prone to a fall, complicated further by continuing to deteriorate as you age...

In my dad's case though, he had the opportunity to move things out of the way to get to what he wanted but tried to leap-step through piles of trash like a goddamn kid and nearly broke his arm.

Just try to remember not to stop moving, and to listen to your physical therapist when the inevitable happens, and don't hoard stuff. We'll have phone apps screaming at us to do our 2,000 steps in the next 3 hours or we'll have our health insurance premiums double or something, so we won't have a choice.

There's also probably awful nutrition. I've had boomers "warn" me about going to the gym because if I stop lifting weights, all that muscle can turn to fat... somehow.

Most of them who told me were overweight (one guy literally looks like Peter Griffin), and it was really obvious that it was because they did -- and still do -- eat like poo poo and just stopped being active.

Every so often if I catch an old episode of [url=]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Gotta_Eat_Here!You Gotta Eat Here[/url], there will always be at least one instance of the show featuring a boomer who loves their local diner and "comes here all the time" because it just serves "good wholesome comfort food" that is just awful for you. Without fail, every episode.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

RobattoJesus posted:

It's so they can get that Strava segment record by flying downhill at 70 km/h on a path made for wheelchair users and prams.

I'm now imagining this, but with bikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuZHyW-iGI

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Fauxhawk Express posted:

"What'd you bring me for lunch?"

Holy poo poo yes.

Along with "Where's mine?" when you come in with a cup of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Shibawanko posted:

I can hear it but it sounds like gibberish or it's some regional accent I'm not used to, guy comes off as a schizophrenic or something to me with the big red balloon face and weird hand gestures.

I can't watch it since I'm at work, but I'm going to choose to assume it's the Charlie Brown "wah wah" adult voice.