Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

killer crane posted:

a good book on the rise of evangelical america, and why it's so lovely, read One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America. boomers religion was poisoned by capitalists, and sold to their parents who were looking to religion postwar. while a lot of their parents got out before the moral majority, the boomers grew up with white corporate evangelism, and don't believe there's an alternative.

e: boomers like the phrase "this is how it's always been," but really it's only been that way since the 60s.

"What's the Matter With Kansas?" is another good read on this topic https://www.amazon.com/Whats-Matter-Kansas-Conservatives-America/dp/080507774X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Truniht posted:

One thing I never got about boomers is how they have this constant need to put everyone down

My grandma is a late Silent gen and has been terrible about this forever. Like, endlessly lovely about my mom not doing enough around the house/to pamper my dad because he "works so hard" even though my mom works full time in a manual labor heavy job and he works in an office. Once she went shopping with me and I tried on a dress I really loved that was only available a size down from what I needed - it "fit" but it didn't look exactly right, but it was definitely close enough once I lost the winter snack weight it'd have been fine. She saw I was going to get it and made a face and said "well it doesn't fit," and I replied, "yes, I know, but it will in five pounds," and she looked me up and down and said, "ten, if you're lucky." Bite me grandma, I really loved that dress but I put it back and moped about it instead, and after got poo poo about not eating much at lunch.

She also told the entire family I was bulimic after I got food poisoning and was vomming and making GBS threads my pants for 36 hours, and nobody believed me until she insisted we go back to the same restaurant for lunch the day after and my brother got sick too.

Boomers love that poo poo too:
-Being invasive and nitpicky in-laws
-Women re-enforcing lovely gender standards to justify what they had to put up with
-Being lovely about kids/grandkids weight and then complaining about them not eating enough

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From all I gather, no one including and especially the manufacturers of bras knows how bra sizes work.

In the US this is absolutely the case and manufacturers will lie to you to try to fit you into one of their bras (because they manufacturer a super limited sizing).

Like, probably 5% max of people who buy bras at Victoria's Secret are wearing the correct bra size.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Benny Harvey posted:

What did boomers like in men that now just seems wrong? gently caress loads of body hair?

Mustaches with no beard. Those massive loving paedo glasses.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Boomers love to return merchandise back to the store where it was originally bought in its original packaging with all the paperwork and receipts, then proceed to unbox everything one by one and give a spiel to the worker behind the returns counter about the paperwork and receipts and packaging and product to show said worker that "everything is there and accounted for," even after the returns worker told them countless times that it is unnecessary to do so, to please just give them just the receipt so they can scan it and give them their money back, and that there is a long line of irritable customers forming behind them.

Boomers think everyone darker than wonderbread or more foreign than Canada is a criminal and a scam artist so they go out of their way to prove their return is justified and they're good upstanding corporate citizens unlike "those types of people."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Lighter skinned Hispanics already count in certain White Nationalist circles. It’s already happening.

This has been a thing basically forever though. Call a Puerto Rican "Dominican" and see how well that goes for you.

Brazil as a country is very mixed compared to most countries, and a shitload of light-skinned mostly Euro heritage Brazilians are still racist as gently caress.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao die already boomer and stop dragging everyone back into your awful loving past

Especially since said past has literal decades of hiding a child rapist for the benefit of the football program.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

DamnitGannet posted:

Boomers are completely helpless when put in front of a PC, but if you stick a smart phone in their hand they will be posting racist bullshit to facebook in no time

mind the walrus posted:

Boomers do understand technology real real fast if it enables them to act like entitled dipshits.

Oh my god, you've revealed the solution. If we can convince smartphone manufacturers to go back to numerical text entry like the early days of text messaging we can eliminate the racist Boomer scourge of the internet. Think of how much better comments on news articles and news social media will get.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Boomers love being super entitled about the fact they know people won't sock them in the loving mouth: https://www.yahoo.com/news/pregnant-mother-slams-elderly-couple-183552292.html

quote:

On Tuesday, Amanda Mancino-Williams described how she had booked four seats on a CrossCountry train from Cheltenham to Nottingham but found an elderly couple sitting in two of them. When she asked them to move, they reportedly dismissed her.

A pregnant woman with 3 kids and they told her that "her tickets didn't matter," absolutely loving staggering level of Boomer.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Like...even if someone was wealthy and stupid enough to hand out MDMA for Halloween even a kid is going to look at a baggie with the equivalent of a single Smartie in it like "...what the gently caress is this nonsense?" and throw it out.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

epsilon posted:

check out this dipshit:

Bolding mine. Wow.

Here's the column: https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/05/ask-amy-mysterious-photo-invites-ethical-question/

Softball response but ultimately Amy's advice is to get over it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I like that it's completely inconceivable to these chucklefucks that we don't think obscene wealth should exist to be inherited by us, or at minimum should be inheritance taxed to hell and back.

I had this argument with my dad before my cousin's wedding and he was like, "well I should have the right to give my children an advantage that I worked for," and I was like, "I literally am not any more deserving of opportunity or wealth I didn't work for just because I was born to you and not someone else," and he was completely floored by the concept I don't think I deserve piles of money I did jack poo poo to earn.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Boomers still loving love the Iraq war. "Hurr durr if I gave you a penny and told you to hide it in a mall I'd never be able to find it what makes you think we can find the totally real WMDs?" gently caress off you simpleton that's not how any of this loving works.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Day Man posted:

I am as millenial as they come, and I don't use self-checkouts as a protest against the capitalists that are trying to eliminate labor costs.

This is an unpopular sentiment, but historically automation hasn't eliminated jobs, it's just changed them - grocery is starting to look the same way, with the increase in consumer controlled convenience (self checkout, online ordering) the number of cashiers needed decreases, but the number of "shoppers" and loaders needed increases. Amazon is a huge example of this, they have no cashiers but an absolutely tremendous amount of "retail worker" staff (they just need to unionize and legislature needs to force Bezos to treat them like loving human beings). The same thing happened with ATMs, the automation made it cheaper for banks to open more branches; they actually hired more tellers so bank employment increased following automation (though with the continued decrease in cash-based consumer transactions and online banking, bank employment has begun to go down again).

StrangersInTheNight posted:

didn't anyone see how angry the bibliophiles got at Mari Kondo, for even suggesting they get rid of some books? books are not going anywhere anytime soon

She didn't even say that, she said that she personally tries to keep her book collection around 10 items and that more broadly, people shouldn't just accumulate piles of owned books they never read just for the purposes of owning more books (and being a pretentious dickhead about them). People are super loving racist about Marie Kondo, and not just Boomers. :smith:

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 13, 2019

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Thank you.

You can even get more nick-picky and split up all the christian gods into different the denominations.

Yeah there's a fuckton of WASP Boomers who don't believe Catholics are Christians.

I know they learned European History (and only European History) in their high school world history curriculum so I guess they just forgot about the Protestant Reformation and root origin of all their WASPy churches.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

holy gently caress

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That opening sequence in Stranger Things Season 3 must have gotten you rock-hard (by design). That was weird, even at its most vibrant I never remember malls looking like that.

Filmed at the mall I grew up at, which was super loving weird. I remember it being busy when I was in high school, like unbearably so during the holidays. Then Mall of GA and Discover Mills (Sugarloaf Mills now maybe? gently caress if I know) opened and it slooooowly started to die down. By the time I graduated college it was drat near dead already and that was a decade ago. Discover Mills is a loving shitheap now too from what I've heard.

Supposedly Gwinnett Place is becoming a cricket stadium.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Open air malls are a thing now. When I have to go to one to take something back there's always a gaggle of teens at the chick-fil-a or froyo joint there.

Open air malls manage to combine all the lovely consumerist garbage of malls with the shittiness of no AC in summer or heat in winter (with none of the actually nice things about being outdoors, like trees and birds and hiking and poo poo).

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Grape posted:

I'm just going to quickly point out as mentioned earlier, that you are from Georgia.

I have not lived in Georgia since finishing college though. These are everywhere, I travel all over the US for work and so far other than upper northeast and upper PNW (so...where it's cold and wet a shitload of the year) I've seen them drat near everywhere. The one in Utah overlooking the bigass Mormon temple is fancy AF.

(edit)

I do not live in Florida (lol I would never loving live in FL), I'm in Virginia now.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Crazy Mike posted:

Post 9/11 GI Bill paid for my grad school. If the Bank of Mom and Dad won’t fund your college, maybe Uncle Sam will.

It's great you got higher education without debt but, "can't afford college? Join the military and possibly die or be traumatized for life to maybe get enough money to pay for school!" is some pretty dystopian poo poo.

Boomer parents who can afford to pay for school for their kids and don't (thereby loving them on FAFSA as well) can eat every dick.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't forget Lt. Dan stopped banging hookers and married himself a nice asian wife.

At least the actor (Gary Sinise) realized "holy poo poo, there's opportunity to do good here," and started a Veterans charity to capture a sliver of that Boomer cash hoard that is actually solid and not a piece of poo poo scam like 99% of the other vet charities out there.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gary Sinise gives way more of a gently caress about vets than 3/4 of the veteran organizations out there combined. I have no qualms with the man even if he is a boomer.

Exactly, like I think The Gary Sinise Foundation is one of the only consistently A rated veterans charity across charity watchdog orgs. It was an excellent capitalization on how much Boomers loved that lovely movie.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Buying new cars every year, every other year, etc. is Boomer conspicuous consumption nonsense but please get a car made in the last decade, Goons. Your survivability in an older car is much lower and I want you to be safe for the coming WWIII apocalypse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pGAD0P3OSU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Venga Boys always get party started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

String out the Spice Girls greatest hits after.

The answer is clearly What's New Pussycat on repeat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkrL42R7gk

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Boomers love taking the scenic route. Oh it might add 3 hours on your travel time and because its on the backroads there isn't any place to stop, but you got to see leaves on trees! You could just take the interstate but that only has placed to eat and bathrooms and gets you there faster. It's the traveling that's part of the vacation! I mean I guess that it can be, if you're trip is meant to drive through new england during fail or something, but if you're just trying to get to pittsburg because that's where you're going to do stuff, then adding extra time to the drive is pretty terrible. Though thinking back, driving through Maine and Mass took us through lots of quaint Cabot Cove like towns, all which looked like they were unchanged since Colonial Times, I'm sure these are all ghost towns full of oxy addicts and Trump signs now.

When you've got the time to kill and have a camera going the scenic route owns. I took a vacation last December that was entirely "going the scenic route" from LA to Las Vegas and it was one of the best trips of my life. It sounds like you just don't enjoy driving maybe? Earth is fuckin' beautiful if you get away from all the consumer garbage, even the evidence of human life in small towns has a unique flavor you lose in areas with cookie-cutter mass merch influence.

MorrisBae posted:

"Why are you going this way"

"GPS says it's the fastest way"

"I've been going there for 30 years, I know the fastest way"

"Well, apparently not"

"I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE FASTEST WAY - MAKE A RIGHT TURN THERE"

"No"

GPS makes boomers feel dumb when they realize they've been wasting substantial amounts of time on driving inefficiently

This is annoying as fuuuuuck though. My grandma used to love telling me to take route 1 from Richmond to DC instead of 95. 95 could have construction on 2/3 of the highway and it would still be faster than route 1. Waze especially infuriates the olds, "what do you mean you take a different route each time, how do you know where you're going?"

(taking Amtrak is faster than either and you can drink)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

EPICAC posted:

I think people trawl the obituaries. It conveniently lists all of the names of family members. Shortly after my grandfather died my grandmother got a call from someone claiming to be me, saying to send money because I was in jail. Some of her friends had been scammed like this, so she knew what was up. Plus they used the term "grandma," which is not what I call her.

My uncle died in a really horrible accident a week and a half ago and because it was so publicized locally this started about 48 hours after, to the point that if you google his name and "accident" the first couple of results are ambulance chaser articles about the accident and the make/model of car he was driving, offering to help sue if you or a loved one has been in an accident involving the same car. It's incredibly hosed up.

So far nobody has called me or anyone else but hooo boy are they in for a world of hurt if they call my parents, my dad will go nuclear.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Cubelodyte posted:

I’ve never seen either city but I’m going to assume Jacksonville is terrible, if for no other reason that it’s in Florida.

They are both mediocre cities pushed into awfulness by a large military base presence. Norfolk suffers similarly.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

shut up netface posted:

“You couldn’t make Blazing Saddles today too many people would be OFFENDED”

It’s literally 45 years old, goddamnit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm not sure you could make a Blazing Saddles movie now. At least not a major studio movie where the writer/director had that much creative control. The studio managed to force Brooks to make 2 changes: Richard Pryor couldn't be Sheriff Bart and they had to cut the blowjob joke.

Also Brooks produced 4 seasons of a Blazing Saddles TV show, but only 1 episode was ever aired. The rest were just a contract loophole to keep Warner Brothers from making sequels.

Hihohe posted:

There was an analysis on the true reason you couldn't make blazing saddles today on YouTube I'm having trouble finding. Basically BS destroyed the old way of making westerns down to its core which was white washing them as some "more civil time and how the us tamed the west." Instead of the more accurate racist as hell killing all the native Americans and having slaves, west

If it's not this video, you should all watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

I too need e-talking heads to reaffirm my views.

I know I definitely have the time to study everything ever so I can speak knowledgeably on film, music, physical chemistry, dairy farming, automotive assembly, the Five Dynasties period of Chinese history...

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Bonzo posted:

My dad would call my cell phone at 4:58pm and ask me what I was doing after work. If I didn't answer my cell he'd call my home, then office. A co-worker over heard me saying things like , "I'm wrapping up for the day....I'll call you when I'm home....I can't tonight...**SIGHhhhhhhhhhhh**...FINE!" for a few days and thought I was talking to an ex.

"Nope, just my Dad!"

I had to get my aunt to stealth delete my work number from my Grandma's phone because she kept calling my cell 3-4 times during work hours then calling my work phone and leaving vague messages about it being extremely urgent I call her back ASAP. So I'd dip out on whatever I was doing thinking it was an emergency and it'd be something like, "Macy's has a sale on cardigans, I need you to look online right now and tell me what ones you like so I can go get them while I still have a coupon."

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 20, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

This seems much more preferable IMHO than the normal Boomer MO of hoarding all of their wealth.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I make mustard. Multiple boomers in both my and my wife's family deadass asked "wait, you can just make mustard?" and were then grossed out by the whole mustard seeds.

It's really good, if not a bit spicy. Some were interested but could smell the spice from halfway across the room and were turned off as well.

Fresh ground mustard seed in fish curry is the tits.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

Doubt it lasts all the way to November, but worse-come-to-worse, at least Joe Biden is catnip to boomers and I don't loving understand why god why

One of my coworkers mentioned to me that Biden reminds them of a slightly more liberal Reagan and they're totally okay voting for a slightly more liberal Reagan over Trump even if they've been Republicans since the 1980s.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

why are goons married to horroble people

If there's anything I have observed from the r/relationships thread it's that it's not just Goons with way too low of standards.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

500excf type r posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhowe/2017/10/02/youre-not-the-man-your-father-was/

Studies show that men’s testosterone levels have been declining for decades. The most prominent, a 2007 study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, revealed a “substantial” drop in U.S. men’s testosterone levels since the 1980s, with average levels declining by about 1% per year. This means, for example, that a 60-year-old man in 2004 had testosterone levels 17% lower than those of a 60-year-old in 1987. Another study of Danish men produced similar findings, with double-digit declines among men born in the 1960s compared to those born in the 1920s.

It's "forever chemicals" in the groundwater and leeching plastics (BPA, etc.).

Seriously, it fucks with fertility in men and women big time.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

Does he know how to delete tweets? Trump sure doesn't...

He deletes tweets all the time, it's why he uses his personal account and not @POTUS (which he legally can't delete tweets from).

It's not like there's not a zillion individuals screenshotting or bots crawling and saving his posts anyway but being able to delete his more embarrassing gaffes (covfefe) lets him feel smart when he tweets corrections pretending he did it on purpose.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Things Boomers Like: Well you arent getting any of the jobs when I die then

:perfect:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yikes. The old car just destroys the driver, while the newer one is like "i got makeup on my airbag". But yea, i can see why Boomers who worship cars from their childhoods would get pissy when you show them evidence that they're actually terrible.

This isn't just Boomers, there's people who'd argue in this very thread buying new cars/newer cars every few years is a Boomerism becuase there's nothing wrong with driving a '98 Corolla that still runs fine. Like, yes, from a "self worth and respect" standpoint having a plain or older car is fine but holy poo poo, if there's two things that have maintained skyrocketing safety growth since the 1970s, it's Aviation and Automobiles. The ability to walk away from an early 2000s car of the same make and model a newer used 2016 is far lower. You don't need the best/newest and you don't need to replace your car as soon as you pay it off but please drive and transport your loved ones in the newest car you can reasonably afford. Don't let your kids get/get your kids the cheapest old AF beater they can scrape together birthday and summer job savings to get, that poo poo isn't *safe*

'98 Corolla vs. 2015 Corolla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidhx_f-ouU The 2015 driver would probably be in a shitload of pain but would have all their limbs/spine and survive. The 1998 guy is loving closed casket level dead.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 8, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Play posted:

^^^ that corolla doesn't even have an airbag that's almost unfair

Anyways it's a cost/benefit analysis that everyone would have to do for themselves. I don't agree with your central premise that you need to have the newest car you can possibly afford, that's for drat sure. And it's kind of besides the point because boomers aren't wasting money on new cars for the safety benefits the vast majority of the time

From the study the Bel Air video was for, a driver of a car 18 or more years old is 71 percent more likely to die in a bad crash than the driver of a car three years old or newer. You should absolutely drive the newest car you can reasonably afford. For a lot of people that isn't possible; between this and the abysmal state of healthcare there's a reason low income folks get hosed up in car accidents way worse in general, though I'm sure Boomers would say it's because "the poors drive irresponsibly/drunk/etc.'" or something equally as loving awful. But that doesn't mean it's not the best thing to do even if it means getting a car you like slightly less but is more affordable in a newer year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I can see the 98 clearly had more damage but why didn't the airbag go off? They must have had airbags in 98 no?

They would have been mandatory in all cars made after 9/1/199...8. It's reasonable to assume Toyota had them before that deadline but I couldn't say for certain, but as it ends up older airbags were shittier too anyway and multi-stage ones made mid 2000s on are far better at not killing short people and kids.