Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PipHelix posted:

Gedankenexperiment: The world is about to be destroyed by an asteroid. You have a spaceship that can only take a small number of people that will need to create a new, self sustaining colony. Name a demographic less desirable than "selfish elderly male professional opinion complainer for a conservative newspaper"
Setting aside the fact that if Earth is destroyed out there's nowhere we *can* restart humanity, you would crew your rescue ship entirely with young women and then bring as many frozen sperm/eggs/embryos as you can spare the cargo space for. From a cold, scientific "kickstart a new population with enough genetic diversity" perspective, there's no room for anyone who doesn't have a womb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What is the proper use for ellipses anyway? I feel it's one of those things like the semicolon that few people know how to use correctly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

learnincurve posted:

It’s to indicate truncated text. In the past it was mostly used as a device for newspapers to edit what people said without falling foul of the old libel laws. Old school dick move basically.
That makes sense. Outside of boomerism the only places I can recall seeing it is when someone's quoting only part of a sentence.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I thought prepping sounded like an interesting hobby and I tried to find books on the topic by reasonable people but sadly there are none. All of them are bugfuck crazy. It’s sad because the basic premise sounds good but the reality is redneck power fantasy. They’re all preparing for their favourite imagination scenario but they don’t believe in climate change or viral epidemics
I read a decent "prepping" guide some time ago which was very reasonable. He starts by throwing all the end of the world nonsense out, then explains the situations that you should actually prepare for, such as a house fire, flood, dangerous weather depending on where you live, temporary disruption of water/food/electricity supply and so on.

The practical advice is along the lines of making sure everyone in your family knows how to get out of the house in a hurry and where to meet up. Having physical and digital copies of important documents like insurance papers, birth certificates and deeds. Keeping a few days worth of non-perishable food and water along with ways to cook it without electricity, and so on.

A lot of it is just common sense, which is unfortunately not as common as we'd all like.

I'll see if I can dig it back up when I'm not on mobile.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Synthetic Dreams posted:

My mom loves collecting Nazi memorabilia. She says she doesn't support Nazism, that she's just a simple conservative woman, and her interest seems to have seeped into my older brother and younger sister's political leanings. She was also rather mean to me, but I haven't lived with them for half a decade and tbh they're all dead to me given how well the lot of them treated me since I came out as LGBT in junior high school.

My mom let me know I would not be inheriting any of her collection when she died, after my dad thankfully died last May, and I sorta just laughed at her until she hung up. I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat.
I go to militaria swap meets occasionally and there will always be a corner at such meets where a few people are showing off and selling SS/Wehrmacht/NSDAP memorabilia and it always attracts a certain type of visitor that you'd rather stay far away from.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

It's sad to see victims turn into people who enable abuse. I wonder if it's the psychological aspect or if she just got a big chunk of change and went into the game herself and was corrupted by money?

Or maybe she was always a shithead? Who knows?
It's pretty well established that victims of abuse have a high risk of becoming abusers themselves. And getting into relationships with drug-addled shitheads whose bullshit constantly gets a pass because they're rich and famous probably didn't help.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

Someone posted an op-ed from the local paper in my local subreddit. It's just radiating with boomer energy over the idea of a cell phone:

The actual online version link. I just thought I'd include the screenshot for posterity.
I think I can see why his offspring don't pick up when he calls, and it's not because they're using cell phones.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Greader posted:

My personal favorite was someone doing this a tlike 4AM, trying it every couple minutes for half an hour straight. I dunno what can bring a person to try and send a fax at 4AM, try to send it repeatedly when something did not seem right on their end, and never bother to check if they got the right number throughout the several attempts it takes
That's because they're not there. They put the paper in the fax, punched in the number and walked away. All fax machines auto-redial and since fax machines are the spawn of a deranged mind with a seething hatred for all of humanity they don't distinguish between "line busy" and "line picked up but no handshake received" and will keep retrying. Most stop retrying after a timeout, but some don't stop until manually canceled. Some especially satanic fax machines don't make it easy to cancel a job either, forcing you to go into a convoluted set of menus to bring up a job list where you can cancel the fax.

Somewhat related thing that boomers hate: Not having a printer within arm's reach. The idea of a large, high-capacity multifunction color laser printer placed in a conveniently central location in the office that they have to walk all of 5 meters to is apparently a grave insult to their self-determined importance. Clearly their second-assistant job involves so much "confidential" material that has to be printed that they must have a personal printer on their desk.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Every office job I've worked has had at least one but usually several people who either considers it below them to share a printer or are simply too lazy to get out of their chair and walk ten steps to the shared printer.

All of them would try to pull the "I print a lot of confidential stuff" card when told they can't have a personal printer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A White Guy posted:

Seriously, what civilization has done to get all variety of wild plants to be edible is kind of mind boggling. Most wild cultivars of virtually every modern vegetable and fruit are barely edible at best, or downright impossible to eat at worst.
You occasionally see people argue creationism by pointing at something like the apple or the banana and how convenient they are for humans as a food source. Seedless, easy to peel, pleasant flavor, etc.

Counterpoint, a wild banana:

Barudak posted:

Every company I work with eventually installed print software that caches your print order but does not actually print it until you swipe your id card at your preferred printer. I always thought it seemed like an expensive way to ensure security but now I see its a cost savings tool
We had that at the last place I worked and it's great. Looking at the statistics we also saw that a not insignificant number of documents sent to the queue were never printed, so there are definitely people who habitually hit print and then realize they don't actually need it on paper. I think we made up for the extra cost of the pull print system in less than two years. Less if you count all the time our support guys didn't have to spend messing with small, lovely individual printers any more.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

What does this even mean? I don’t need a “data set” to know that Gone With The Wind is a lost cause myth film that’s racist as hell. What a crock of poo poo dude.
I think Schadenboner was agreeing with you and indirectly responding to Krispy Wafer. Don't be mad at each other. :ohdear:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bonzo posted:

You know that scene in Ferris Bueller where he reads the password off a post it note? That poo poo still goes on man.
Passwords on a post-it on your screen is still a million times better than using the same password for multiple services.

You're not the password leak risk, the services you use are.

Use unique passwords, write them on a piece of paper and keep that piece of paper in your wallet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have trouble remembering the lower limits of "boomerism" because I am pretty sure they are all in their 50s, or would be if living. Gonna have to listen to some GWAR and investigate
As already established, boomer is more a mentality than a range of birth years. I personally know both 30 year old boomers and 70+ year old non-boomers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Adam West will forever be the best Batman.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I die I want any usable parts of my body to be used for transplants or science, then cremate the rest and bury my ashes here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PipHelix posted:

So, here's a question. Guy who used to work in this lab I worked in, a Dane, he'd come through once in a while (we were in NYC, he was doing the tourist thing, he's not so nuts as to go intercontinental to say hi to old work friends) and on his way out dude would buy massive amounts of tools. Said that the VAT or whatever made it worth his while to do it that way instead of just buying at home. Is that normal/reasonable?
VAT in Denmark is 25%, and prices are generally higher even before VAT. About 5 years ago I did the maths and if you bought a cheap weekend trip to NYC you'd break even on buying about $1200 (in US prices) worth of consumer goods, assuming you could sneak it past customs on the way back.

Arven posted:

That explains why they are slapping the name on everything. I saw a Remington brand chainsaw last year.
Different Remington. There are at least three different companies selling Remington brand products in the US. They all have historical connections to the 19th century company, but it's not just a modern day brand-recognition ploy.

"Remington Outdoor Company" is the current name for the original 19th century E.Remington & Sons company. As wasn't uncommon for the day, they made all kinds of machines, including firearms, typewriters, sewing machines and other stuff. Turns out once you have a machine shop, you can make basically anything the market requests. The business making typewriters and sewing machines was split off in 1886 into Remington Rand, while the firearms business became Remington Arms. Remington Arms were bought by the equity firm CCM in 2007 and turned into Freedom Group which would go on to acquire several more firearms and related companies and run them all into the ground.

"Remington Power Tools" were originally Mall Tool Co, founded in 1921. It was acquired by Remington Arms in 1956, renamed "Remington Power Tool Division" then sold again in 1969. They've kept the Remington brand name but otherwise has no relation to the current Remington Outdoor Company.

"Remington Products" is a personal care brand that makes hair clippers, shavers, curling irons etc. They originate from the Remington Rand typewriter company branching into making electric shavers in the 30s and eventually splitting off into a separate consumer product company in the 70s.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlphariusOmegon posted:

This was from 400 pages ago but it makes me mad so I'm replying. As a Millennial that rides a Harley, I did actually no poo poo get a recognition plaque (And other tat) just for buying one, the expensive ones aimed at boomers actually do have touch screens, some of the aftermarket aimed at boomers also has air conditioning, and Harley is making a lot more money on trikes now because boomers can't hold the bikes up any more.
Harley has more or less painted themselves into a corner by marketing exclusively to boomers since forever and banking their future on a fading generation. They've tried occasionally to break the mould and branch out of overpriced, overweight garage queens, but the majority of their market demographic isn't interested in sporty cruisers with Porche engines or electric performance bikes and the people who would be interested aren't married to the Harley brand. Harley doesn't necessarily make bad bikes per se, but most of their market is people who want to brag about owning a Harley, not necessarily ride a motorcycle.

It's not millenials who are killing Harley, it's heart disease and dementia.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

This thread is definitely showing that millennials are also boomers
Boomer is a state of mind, not an age.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gaj posted:

So I got stoned and told the roofer all this and he also got stoned and laughed and told me gently caress it hes not answering the phone for 2 weeks. Hes still on the job hes just not going to talk to Boomer Prime until he settles down a little bit because holy lol 20k bond and acquiring permits which do not exist.
Since you and the roofer both are in on the joke, you're actually dealing with him getting the job done in a reasonable way and you're just feeding your father papers written in crayon that says whatever he wants them to say, right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gaj posted:

Its incredibly easy to bait him into a screaming fit these days, he always needs to dominate and win a conversation so I just keep saying "no" in a soft tone while smiling and then he just screams more and more until his face goes red and he starts to hyperventilate. He has almost passed out twice this year screaming at me because he cant think to stop, he has to win the screaming match even if hes the only one screaming. It is physically impossible for him to stop screaming because he thinks louder=more dominance and when I point out hes a fat, weak, sick man and Im not afraid of him any more he starts foaming at the mouth and cant even talk or breath.
So all you need to do is bait him into a big enough screaming match that his heart gives out?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think we can just condense it down to "Boomers like getting upset over nothing."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My favorite euphemism for being shitfaced is "practically sober".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Fun for ten minutes then the realization sinks in.
The realization that poker in general and Texas hold'em in particular is a garbage game?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PipHelix posted:

anyone can pose as a one-man contractor company type gig and should. I've done it multiple times for friends.
Exactly how I got my first computer toucher job in the late 90s. I knew my way around computers but I had no professional experience so a friend who had a side gig as an independent contractor let me put down that I had worked part time for her one-person company.

Fake it until you make it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If your mask is uncomfortable you need to get a better mask.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Can we at least agree that pistachio ice cream is loving garbage?
Only if you mean the stuff sold in supermarkets that's just green food coloring and artificial flavors.

Find yourself a proper gelateria that serves Persian pistachio ice cream with saffron and rose water.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bonzo posted:

The Beach Boys are playing a Trump fundraiser. That is peak Boomer
The Beach Boys are still alive?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Do Millennials and beyond have any kind of "gotta have them all?" physical collecting urges fueled by nostalgia?
80s computers and game consoles are getting more and more expensive as late genXers and early millennials fall into the nostalgia trap.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Don't they know about :filez:?
In many cases it's not just about playing the game, or even about playing the game at all. It's about owning it and the associated hardware. It becomes a hobby just like any collecting.

There are also some games that pulled weird tricks with the hardware which defies emulation. Some times the emulator can fake it, but that usually requires game-specific exceptions in the emulator and if it's an obscure game it's likely the emulator devs won't bother.

As for why CRTs are getting desirable with the same crowd it's because pretty much every game from the CRT era used the inherent color bleeding of CRTs as a way to create the illusion of color blending or creating more percieved colors than the console was capable of displaying. Unfortunately that means a lot of games look like garbage on a modern pixel-perfect display, so for the correct experience they want to play on a CRT.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

priznat posted:

I find with a few exceptions most times when I go back to revisit old games I enjoyed I don’t like them as much as I remembered.
Yup, there's a fair amount of rose tinted glasses there. When I've revisited old games in emulators there's been quite a few "Wow, I don't remember this game being THIS ugly/boring" moments.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Game of Thrones audience? Didn't the series end something like 3 years ago? That crowd has scattered to the wind.
Not to mention that the last season was a dumpster fire which alienated a lot of the show's fans.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I feel personally attacked.

My boomer dad convinced me to put a $40k insurance settlement I got at age 18 into a mutual fund with a 10% broker fee.
jfc where do you even find a mutual fund with such a daylight robbery management fee?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A modern DCT automatic is vastly different from the hydraulic automatics of the past. A DCT is essentially a computer controlled manual and arguably more efficient than a standard manual because it can have way more gears than would be practical for a human to shift through and is much better at selecting the right gear than the pink raisin in our heads is.

I occasionally enjoy driving manual, but for the average car that spends 99% of its life on paved roads the manual gearbox is obsolete.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I remember having to make separate startup files and reboot the computer when you wanted to play certain games because you needed every last kilobyte of low RAM available. It's not a fond memory and I'm glad nobody has to do that again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Truniht posted:

The hippie movement was always bullshit. Boomers want to sell the narrative to their kids that they were with MLK or getting jailed for draft dodging. Instead, they were joining cults like the Children of God and using counter culture as a narrative to justify their narcissism and drug abuse.

"Punks are nice people pretending to be mean. Hippies are mean people pretending to be nice."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Mum-of-8 has 90 grandchildren in only UK family with 6 generations alive at same time. Every single generation in this story was 17 or younger when they gave birth.
Which religious cult are they part of?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo I can't even begin to imagine the screaming that would happen if they even tried to do this in the US.
I'm kind of surprised modern cars can't automatically adjust the cruise control. The Volvos I usually drive shows the current speed limit in the dash, including temporary limits in case of dynamic signing or road works. It would be really easy to just feed that into the cruise control.

Maybe you don't want the car to automatically raise the set speed, but it could definitely lower it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Clavavisage posted:

Work gave me a rental 2021 Altima recently and it was my first exposure to auto breaking. I had to discover the hard way that when you're using cruise control it would keep you no less than two car lengths, which isn't a big deal except two car lengths is a huge space and whenever someone would cut in front of you the car would try to reclaim that follow distance. So if you were following me at 70mph the car would jam down without warning which was super cool.
In the cars I normally drive with adaptive cruise you can set the distance (in seconds) it will follow at. In slow traffic where people are most likely to cut you off I just set it to the shortest distance and it won't leave enough room for someone to merge in front of you.

life is killing me posted:

When they start putting cameras on TVs I’m loving out
There are patents about using cameras on TVs to see if you're paying attention to the ads that are shown. And this is why I don't watch broadcast or cable any more.

Nowadays my TV is just a big computer monitor hooked up to a laptop with netflix.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of the wifi/app enabled poo poo is just a thin veil for allowing the app to nab as much personal information off your phone as it can so the manufacturer can sell it to advertisers.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:murder: