Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Prescription medication commercials with classic rock soundtracks.

Because nothing says 'nostalgia' like Bob Seger being used to sell incontinence medication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

If you keep making Night Moves, ask your doctor about Gastragin today!

If you can't afford your prescription medication, AstraZenica may be able to help.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Chief McHeath posted:

The mother loving STATE FAIR.

AKA the St Paul Death March

97 degrees with 100% humidity? Force your children to walk for 6 hours straight as you look at restored cars from the 70s, just like you used to drive!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Beastie posted:

Fannie May Chocolate

That crappy knock-off brand foil chocolate candy that tastes like wax.

You know the kind I mean.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Iron Crowned posted:

List of beer that boomers like:
- Bud Light
- Busch Light
- Keystone Light
- Miller High Life
-Bud Heavy (when they're feeling frisky)

Coors Banquet

Whatever local lager that was brewed in the region forever, before going bankrupt in the 90's and getting bought out by Pabst or Miller. (Stroh's, Blatz, National Bohemian, Old Style, etc)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Iron Crowned posted:

Hudephol, Rainier.

Olympia, Iron City, Yuengling, Hamms, Grain Belt.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

old beast lunatic posted:

completely missing the point of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA"

and Martina McBride's "Independence Day"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Going crazy over snow crab legs at a buffet.

Going crazy for buffets in general.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Iron Crowned posted:

They also think their old possessions are much valuable than they really are.

The elusive case of Billy Beer squirreled away in the depths of a wood paneled basement.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

shame on an IGA posted:

What amazes me is how much insanely better the WW2 generation was than boomers at adapting to technology. My great grandma was doing email and games and instant messenger on a linux desktop well into her 90s and once asked "How do I get cousin barry to stop forwarding me all this stupid poo poo?" and then picked up the phone and told him he was a loving moron.

Was your great grandma Grace Hopper?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

What do boomers love? Restaurants with gift shops, like Rainforest Cafe or Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

Then come to the Mall of America, where Rainforest Cafe is literally right in front of Bubba Gump Shrimp!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bonzo posted:

Niagara Falls is about the only place in Canada you'll still find a Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood. There's also a TGI Friday's, Applebees and Margaritaville.

Ooh, yes! I forgot about Margaritaville!

Here's the full list of 'restaurants' at the MOA that serve terrible food that boomers will pay triple the normal price for, because they're on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!!

Rainforest Cafe

Buffalo Wild Wings (right next door to Rainforest Cafe)

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company (which is, again, literally across the hall and in front of Rainforest Cafe)

Margaritaville (kiddie corner from Bubba Gump Shrimp)

Hooters (one floor directly above Margaritaville)

Dicks Last Resort (kiddie corner from Hooters)

Cadillac Ranch (three sections down from Rainforest Cafe, think of it like a overpriced Applebees with stronger drinks)

Cowboy Jacks (replaced Tony Romas, it's like a Texas themed bar and grill that serves the same Sysco brand appetizers THAT EVERYONE ELSE SERVES. Oh, and free popcorn.)

Bennihanas (who wants a onion volcano and $14 green drinks in a collectible plastic flute cup?!)

Corona Cantina (Up on the 4th floor away from anything else; may actually be closed, I never saw anyone in there. Same schtick as Margaritaville, but somehow less unique.)

Hard Rock Cafe (because nothing says 'rock star lifestyle' like nacho cheese fries)

It also has a Wahlburgers and the bakery from Cake Boss; they also had a Tim Hortons until they closed this week for no apparent reason.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Iron Crowned posted:

Where is the Outback Steakhouse?

I'm sure it's coming. They had a TGI Fridays until a few years ago, and it opened with a Applebee's back in '89.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cacafuego posted:

I wondered the same, then realized they meant “catty corner”, or that’s what it was where I’m from.

Pussy corner?

Grape posted:

Montana Clam Chowder, coming to small town Canada soon.

Queso Taco Minnesota, opening 2020 in Moose Jaw!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mojo1701a posted:

There's also Shoeless Joe's, a sports bar & grill chain named after an American baseball player.

An American baseball player who helped throw the 1919 World Series for a mob gambling syndicate.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Do Boomers love Morgellons? Or is that a Gen X thing? Does anyone still have Morgellons??

Jenny McCarthy.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Infinite Karma posted:

Boomers idolize Forrest Gump. A simple, charismatic moron with no special talent, who succeeds in life beyond anyone's wildest dreams. And he got to be on TV a bunch of times.

Because he was part of the 60's, volunteered for Vietnam, became a hero, but without the icky 'civil disobedience' baggage. He even had a Black Friend.

He's Republican Boomer bait, pure and simple.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Panfilo posted:

A restaurant based on the film Saving Private Ryan.

Enjoy our 'Earn This' wing challenge! If you eat a dozen of our Exploding Flamethrower wings in under 15 minutes, you get your name on the Wall of Heroes!

Try out FUBAR cocktail, a double Long Island Iced Tea with grenadine and bitters! *Limit two per customer per visit.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

KiteAuraan posted:

Boomers love the BBB and trusting the BBB and not believing anything that shows that companies pay the BBB for their ratings.

And AAA.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CPL593H posted:

Show us on the doll where Bubba Gump Shrimp Company touched you.

*points to wallet*

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

phasmid posted:

"That's not what your parents named you."

"HIS PARENTS NAMED HIM CLAY, I CALL HIM CLAY! NONE OF THIS MO-HAMAD poo poo!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Spice up your chain dining experience by going to your local Bubba Gump Shrimp Company ;) If you want something really spicy, try the Greenbow Tenders.

EVERYONE STOP SAYING BUBBA GUMP SHRIMP

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hihohe posted:

Works for little pay and no recognition to the point its becomes my identity.

Retires.

Right, now to have fun.... uhh... what do I like.

Let's see what's on Fox News...

*three hours later*

DEMOCRATS ARE EATING MY SKIN AND GIVING IT TO THE BLACKS AAAHHHHH :argh:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Clark Nova posted:

I just realized the genius of fox news is that it increases viewership and engagement by making its audience too repugnant for other human beings to want to have any contact with them

It also gives it's advertisers a dedicated customer base.

"Tired of Democrats eating your skin in the dead of night?"

"YES I AM! THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS FOR TRUE PATRIOTS LIKE ME!!"

"Then try PatriotCreme! Only $49.95 for a 30 day supply, plus shipping and handling! Call now!"

"YES I WILL CALL NOW!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

And then there’d be Jimmi’s Guitar String Fries at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

Nah, Jimmi's Grilled Tuna Fish Sandwich.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bonzo posted:

If Jimi was white, Forrest would have met him in the movie. They would have met in boot camp (Jimi was in the Army after all)

Jimi: Hey Forest man, did you get those guitar strings from the PX like I asked? We're on stage in 2 minutes!
Forrest: Sorry, I stung the guitar backwards
*shreds solo with wah wah pedal and feedback*
Jimi: Hey man that's ok, I kinda like the way if feels.
*Jimi launches into national anthem*

Forrest Narration: I'd never heard anyone play the national anthem so loud before A few years later he played it to some people camping in the mud at some farm in upstate New York and got real famous. Mamma said he got too famous and died though.

Forrest Narration: While I was learning how to play Ping Pong in the Army, I met this real nice guy named Dan. He was from Sacramento, or some place.

Dan White: Hey Forrest, heads up! *throws ping pong ball* *Forrest ducks*

Forrest Narration: He was always joking around and playing cops and robbers with everyone *Dan mimes shooting someone and laughing*, he was a real nice guy to be with.

*Dan gets dizzy and falls down*

Forrest Narration: He also kept getting these funny spells, and nobody was quite sure why.

*Forrest helps Dan up and sits down with him*

Dan: Thanks, Forrest. Man, I feel lousy. Did they serve lunch yet?

Forrest: Yeah.

Dan: Damnit. Only good thing about this place is the food. Maybe I can get something at the PX.

Forrest: Oh, I saved you something. Them USO girls were handing out cakes.

*Forrest hands Dan a Twinkie*

Dan: *elated* Wow, thanks Forrest! *eats Twinkie* Oh, that's the stuff.

Forrest Narration: Dan went back home, and got himself a real important job with the government. Later I heard one day he ate too many Twinkies and shot someone.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Did you know
In the book he made a srimp farm and Bubba was a white guy

In the book he also ran for President with the campaign slogan 'I gotta pee'.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Cheating on and complaining about said wives.

Whenever I watch an old TV show or movie, someone at some point complains or makes a crack about their unhappy marriage with 'the ol' ball and chain'.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SeXReX posted:

The majority of my coworkers are married boomers or older gen X and they all say this poo poo like once daily

It really puts the divorce boom of the 70s in context. "You mean I don't have to be married to this angry whoremongering drunken sack anymore? See ya!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Clark Nova posted:

I'd imagine a waiter who sees WOWEE FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS for what is likely to be a $40-60 ticket, at least, with two people dining, would just loving ignore them to the greatest degree possible

e: though honestly I think that whole routine is just an urban legend about how terrible libertarians are

I'll never understand why tipping is treated like this litmus test for getting your Mississippi Megaritta in 6 minutes instead of 10.

Or why it's this great math challenge. Just round up the sales tax to the next whole dollar, double it, then toss in a few extra bucks.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CodfishCartographer posted:

Because they don't actually want to tip, so they look for every reason to tip less.

As for the math thing, Idk probably because they don't want to round up because that means spending more, but rounding down means that they look like an rear end in a top hat.

Tipping percentages doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyways, a server bringing a ten dollar dish plus waters doesn't usually do more work than one bringing a thirty dollar one plus cocktails. Just tip what you can spare.

But we don't have to tip! If restaurants paid more then minimum wage tipping wouldn't be necessary.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Plan Z posted:

Don't know if you're being facetious here, but no. Having to take care of dozens of tables a day without losing your mind is not minimum wage work. Especially in the restaurant environment of America where we flip our loving lids if the food takes more than ten minutes.

Which is why I said MORE than minimum wage. If a server makes $15 per hour with tips, just pay them $15 from the start and ban tipping.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Spam.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does this have anything to do with the hit Tom Hanks movie Forrest Gump ?

Nah, it's based on Saving Private Ryan.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

KiteAuraan posted:

Boston, Foreigner, Foreigner Belts and Rear-Screen Projection TVs are all things Boomers love.

Hey those Foreigner Belts are pretty bad rear end!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CPL593H posted:

A surprising amount of people are completely unaware of any of that or the fact that John Lennon was just generally a huge piece of poo poo. Even non-boomers.

Getting shot in the face was the best thing to happen to his reputation. If he had lived past his 40s everyone would have known he was really a drunken possessive abusive wifebeating gently caress.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DorkusMalorkus posted:

That's only by default, though. If John had lived he would probably have been the boomers' favorite now. By 2019 he'd have renounced all the peace and love stuff decades ago and fully embraced his mocking of gay people and Jews, and his abuse of women.

It is funny that people still blame Yoko when iirc it was in fact Paul who left the band first.

And it was Paul who kept Yoko around all the time, not the other way around.

His first wife reported he slapped her around and also hit his son, and I'd bet big money he hit Yoko too.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like this is because it was a TV tradition, I remember up until the early 90's every year it came on TV, and it was a huge two night event! I was always annoyed by it because it seemed stupid and I wanted to play Nintendo.

The Wizard of Oz every year at Easter.

Without fail.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

akma posted:

Corned beef hash. Many of the boomers I know love corned beef hash.

Because corned beef hash from scratch is a delicious breakfast treat.

Canned corned beef hash is one step above dog food in terms of taste and texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Extra Large Marge posted:

Logging onto youtube and posting comments like "THEY COULN'T MAKE THIS MOVIE TODAY" on clips from Blazing Saddles, Caddy Shack, the Jerk, and Revenge of the Nerds.

They could remake Revenge of the Nerds today, if it was reimagined as a really dark drama depicting sexual assault on college campuses.