Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Thinking America is the best country on earth

Gets upset that other people can speak multiple languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Used to work in Bothell, WA and had a coworker who commuted every day from Port Angeles. He'd drive his car all the way to the ferry dock in Kingston, leave his car, take the ferry and bike ride from Edmonds to Bothell. Every drat day; rain or shine. It was actually impressive. He'd start his commute at 4am to be in the office by 7.

To put that into perspective, here's his commute:

Every day.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Stolen from the USPOL Thread but this fits right here with the boomers:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Bonzo posted:

I'm hoping the funeral industry dies with Boomers because it is a huge racket and can put your family in debt even after you're gone.

When my Dad died, I only had about a week to settle everything so I called the home closest to the hospital. Now everyone I dealt with was nice, but I'd love to see the balance sheet from these businesses.

Can't pay for the funeral up front? No problem. Just give him proof of life insurance and they'll float you the money. They'll take their fee (plus a percentage) form the insurance and you'll get a check for the remainder.

Well look here, your Dad was a vet. That means he gets a free tombstone! Well, not really. He gets a free brass marker that is a fixed to stone marker but YOU have to buy it out of pocket ($800 I think?). You also have a to pay for concrete pad that the casket rests on (why???!).

Want to list an obituary in the paper? $350 a day. This and want ads are the only thing keeping papers in operation it seems.

There's no such thing as independent funeral home anymore. They are all owned by multinational corporations (dignitymemorial.com) that own the funeral homes, mortuaries, crematoriums, and cemeteries. I'm sure there are kickbacks going to the local floral shops too.

That's insane. When I lost my mom last November, we did a cremation for $695 and the additional viewing and fees, it came out to around $1200. I don't know how much my dad paid for the urn though, I want to say $800 but I am not sure.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Bonzo posted:

That sound you hear is Boomers throwing out their Apple devices out the window

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/18/apple-ceo-tim-cook-tells-the-class-of-2019-my-generation-has-failed-you.html

"My generation failed you. Good luck cleaning up our mess!"

That is such a boomer thing to do. Throw up their hands and welp!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Last week, I took a 5 day roadtrip with the wife from my home in Seattle all the way down to the Redwoods in California. We decided to take Highway 101 from Olympia all the way down. It was loving beautiful. However, the problem with 101 is that alot of it is 1 lane in either direction with pull offs and passing lanes here and there. To those who never been, these roads are beautiful coastal roads that are heavily wooded on side and the coast on the other. They are also challenging roads to drive if you arent used to these kinds of roads because of the various hills, sharp corners, and switchbacks.

The drivers that continuously pissed us off the most were boomers driving these roads with giant RVs that don't even fit on the road in the turns. THEN they refuse to use the pull offs and ignore the signs stating "If you are holding up 5+ cars, legally you need to pull over to let them by". So after a while you get this guy going 20 under the speed limit with a train of cars 10+ deep. Then when the road opens up, they accelerate to try to prevent you from passing them.

gently caress boomer drivers, especially the RV owning ones.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I use cash for one thing only: buying weed from the local dispensary. Everything else is plastic.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Corvettes. Seriously, only people I see driving them or admiring them in any way are boomers.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Boomers like to do DIY projects themselves.

https://imgur.com/gallery/oM8cjMa

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Here's what a Bommer "seafood" dinner looks like

They also like resturants that use Comic Sans on the website
http://www.mikelinnigsrestaurant.com/

I'm confused by this image. Are they expecting you to grab and eat an entire stalk of green onions along with your meal? Like a whole carrot?

Don't get me wrong, I love green onions on basically everything but I've never seen them "presented" in such a lazy way

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Crossposting from the Craigslist Thread.

This is peak boomer. From the photos, to the parts list, to the price.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Prince records sell for 25-30 bucks now. There are millions of copies in circulation and a few years ago you could always find them for 5 dollars. The secondary market is completely out of control.

This happens also when an artist dies as well. I remember buying a bunch of Michael Jackson albums for dirt cheap at various stores here. This was about a year before he died. Then afterwards, I found some copies of Bad that were in decent shape, but they were going for $25.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Grape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HnHOAWK7Qc

Jesus loving christ lol.
Nuke the heartland.

That looks absolutely horrifying. All that food looks like it was microwaved; and there appears to be little to no seasoning on anything. I guess if you want your "food" to be a bland as possible, go there?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Boomers like not giving the slightest amount of consideration to people younger than them. Like it doesn't occur to them that we're people too.

The other day I was walking through a farmers market. One of the stands was selling amazing street tacos. So I ordered a plate, with a drink, and sat down on the park bench next to the stand and began eating these amazing tacos.

A boomer couple shows up and immediately look at me with disdain because I guess I had the audacity to sit in the middle of the bench or something. So they proceeded to sit down next me. One on either side of me. And proceed to have a conversation with me in the middle.

I've never had this happen before. Usually, if someone is already sitting on a bench, you dont park your rear end awkwardly next to them. You find another place to sit like many of the other empty park benches around.

Do boomers not understand the concept of personal space?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
From the Road Rage thread:

Boomers in a nutshell.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Boomers love to vote for laws restricting pot, even though most of them have smoked it at least once in their never ending unlives.

After legalization here, guess which demographic has been the quickest to embrace weed?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I love this interaction. It's concentrated boomerism.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1176337622907506689

• Boomer has issue with X
  • Other person provides solution to X
  • Boomer does not like solution because she has to put in slight effort
  • Boomer throws tantrum

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I was out having a smoke break and watched a boomer walk off from the grocery store with a shopping cart. She had two bags in it, but what confused me is that she kept going with the shopping cart. She left the grocery store property and just kept going down the sidewalk and eventually crossed a road and walked into the neighborhoods, with the shopping cart.

Do boomers not know that those carts are meant for everybody?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Boomers LOVE people making less money to make themselves feel important. I get funny looks when I tell Boomers I believe the groundskeepers and facilities people at our office should make as much, maybe even more, money than I do. I'm a system administrator.

As a systems administrator who took a job as a groundskeeper for a high end golf course when I was in between jobs; I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. The people I worked the greens with were some of the hardest working, kindest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. They also helped teach me some Spanish so we could all communicate. It was humbling and really taught me a lot of life lessons.

Boomers dont have stories. They have lectures and self promotion. They have useless "jokes" at other expense and endless whining.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

Y'know, I haven't really given any thought as to why I don't yard/estate sale, thrift store, or swap meet anymore, but now I think you've hit the nail on the head. I haven't been to the swap meet in about 10 years, gone to yard/estate sales in about 5 years, and I've just about given up on thrift storing because even the garbage absolutely no one wants at any of these places is ridiculously expensive. It was bad when Boomers equated "old = RARE EXPENSIVE ANTIQUE," but now it's just gotten loving ridiculous to find anything worthy of being called a bargain anymore because of the Internet and competitive eBay prices.

Boomers rotted their brains on Antiques Roadshow and now believe everything in their garage hoard is worth thousands.

If you haven't seen this, go Youtube it. Peak Boomer. One boomer brings in broken thing, another boomer declares it rare and valuable. Profit!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I hate landmark-based navigation in general. I have a cardinal directions-based mind and that poo poo is useless to me.

I also hate how when if you turn on google maps navigation, it goes into this weird first person view and turns the map for you. I don't want that! Keep it overhead oriented north and just follow where I am on the map, I haven't found a setting to change it to this yet, there might be one but I guess I'm turning boomer.

This pissed me off like crazy after the latest maps update. I too learned how to read a map early on so first person is a nightmare for me.

To disable this feature and go from top down view as the lord intended, do this:

Open up maps
Go to Settings > Navigation Settings
Scroll down to Map Display
Make sure the slider for Keep Map North Up is selected.

Should get you going!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've been seriously considering finding a small local paper to troll by writing a letter to the editor about how rude old people are these days. I bet with the proper wording I can give at least two boomers a panic attack.

"Entitled" "Snowflakes" "The elderly have it much better than the people who work" "Non-productive members of society"

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Benny Harvey posted:

Oh and she recently bought me a drier and a new vacuum cleaner. Which was nice but then she made sure to tell me that I'd only be getting "something small" for Christmas as a result. Like, what sort of weirdo keeps score like that? How petty and miserable must it be to go through life like that.

My mom did this when I was growing up. Or, sometimes certain gifts would then be deemed "early Christmas / Birthday gifts". I think in my situation, my folks were barely getting by when I was growing up and maybe they didnt know if they could get whatever the gift was at a later time at the same cost.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

They're always so loving creepy about it too. They always demand to know why you aren't married, when you're going to have a kid, why don't you want another 50 kids, why don't you want to do the most important thing a woman can do, why don't you want to preserve your legacy and family name, why are you so selfish and so on.

Even when folks are generally cool about hearing, "we don't have kids" it's always, "heh heh, just you wait, your wife is going to get all baby crazy and that's going to change real soon ho ho ho!"

Just gently caress off, boomer.

My wife and I decided early on never to have kids. We're in our 30s now and she still gets boomers coming up to her and asking if she has kids. She's recently started using two responses and enjoying the reactions:

"I don't have kids because I'm afraid I'll eat my young"

or

"Just lucky I guess"

It's crazy, as a man I get asked a tiny fraction of the time why I dont have kids. But my wife gets the third degree constantly from random older people who judge her, or immediately disregard her for "I'm sure you'll change your mind".

I can't even imagine what it's like for someone who wants to have kids, can't, and have some boomer demand why they have no kids. Seriously, what's it to you that a stranger does or does not have kids? gently caress off and let other people be.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
My wife and I are happily childless with 2 cats and a husky. My mom, when she was alive, REALLY pushed my wife to have kids because "kids are the greatest". Finally my wife had to sit her to down and explain we already discussed not having kids for the following reasons:
* Costs too much to raise
* Lack of parental leave
* Lack of healthcare
* Childbirth mortality is on the rise
* American Education is poo poo
* The sad realization that we cannot provide the same childhood we had growing up

It took time, but she finally came to the conclusion we were not having kids and then focused her "spoiling" on the dog instead of grandkids.

Granted, we are THRILLED by the ability to have a few extra dollars in our pocket and to do essentially whatever we want whenever we want. Not having to be tied down with kids and finding a babysitter and blah blah blah is super liberating.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Cheesus posted:

And with pets.

It would never occur to me to go to anyone's house and feed pets from the table, even if they were begging. My mother actually called over our cats, who were just kind of meandering in the other room, to come over for some of the meat from her sandwich like she does at their home:

Mom: "You don't feed them from the table?"
Me: "No, it's annoying to have them hoverr around us while we're eating and I also don't want to give them a taste preference over their own food."
Mom: "Huh. Here kitty-kitty!"

OMG this. When my wife and I adopted our husky, we had to work very hard to get him properly socialized, teach him manners and such. Despite being highly food motivated, we never fed him from the table so he would never beg.

Cue my parents sneaking him scraps from the table during the first Thanksgiving we had him, and now its a challenge to get him to stop begging when we eat.

Thanks guys!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

“Respect your elders” is the old saying. My saying is “MOTHERFUCK THESE ELDERS ARE DUMB AS poo poo.”

Whenever a boomer tells that to my wife, she immediately throws it back at them with "Respect is EARNED".

Shuts down boomers quite well.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

golden bubble posted:

That's exactly the kind of attitude that birthed the Colorado Taxpayer's Bill of Rights, and for a while it was fine. After all, they used to spend loads of money on good schools in Colorado. But now the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights has eroded school spending slowly and gradually to the point where even the desirable school districts full of big houses are feeling a tense budget screws. If it last another decade, there might not be any good school districts left in Colorado.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Colorado schools had healthy funding from weed taxes?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Wife and I were at the store picking up the last of a few supplies before going back into lockdown. We had a full (large) cart of items and the checkout person says to me, "Keep the cart here so I can walk around and scan things, it'll make it easier and I dont have the risk of getting hurt". A completely reasonable request. A boomer in a completely different checkout line just had to chime in with "Well if you get hurt, you can get paid leave for 2 weeks of not doing anything! hyuk hyuk hyuk"

None of us responded.
The cashier was wearing one of those boot / cast things already.

The constant needing to interject your stupid vapid comments, to complete strangers for whatever reason is infuritating for me. No one wants to talk to you, gently caress off.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Last weekend, the wife and I were out for a nice socially distant drive around the state. Approaching one of our favorite towns, we called up a local pizza joint that we love supporting. It's one of those places that even if you call in advance you, gotta wait for your food. 20 min out of city, we call in the order and the ETA is 45 - 60 min. So we get into town, walk the dog and kill some time, and then we get to the pizza place and read the signs posted. Due to the tiny size of the place, and thanks to covid, the shop asked only one customer at a time in the shop, regardless of pickup or order. Theres two of these signs posted, one above the doorway and the other between the open windows. This is how the place looks:

Theres a nice healthy line of people in masks, standing about 6 - 7 feet apart and going down the sidewalk. Wife and I start chatting with others in line and find out each of us have already ordered and we are just waiting to pick up.

Enter this boomer w/o a mask who first tried to push his way inside and was not let in because the person there passively blocked the entrance. This frustrated the boomer. So he goes and stands out by the window, and starts shouting at the staff inside that he is here to pick up his order. The staff ignore him for a good 3 - 4 minutes and the boomer storms off in a huff. Meanwhile, us in line are slowly working our way up to the front to inside. 10 minutes later, boomer returns. Sure enough, he passes all the people in line and goes back to the window to shout at the staff again that he needs his pizza. Staff again ignore him and continue working with the person inside. As soon as the person leaves, boomer then pushes his way through, in front of myself and others who have been waiting, telling us "he just needs to get his pizza, it will be one second".

gently caress you, you old stupid rear end in a top hat. gently caress you for not wearing a mask, spreading your poo poo everywhere, and cutting in front of people who have been waiting longer. It really sums up this whole country where the elderly think they are above all rules and everyone else needs to make accommodations for them. Everyone else is doing their best to follow the rules, during this pandemic and you just run around with no worries. Die.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

They were paddling people in school when i was a kid, all the way till middleschool. The creepy vice principal was this fat piece of poo poo and he had a loving paddle hanging in his office...that's some straight up boomer pedo poo poo that became systemic in schools but mostly phased out now.

I got paddled at school back in the late 90s. Went to a christian private school despite not being religious. Boomer parents thought private school = better than public school. I was constantly in trouble with the school because I refused to follow their nit picky bullshit rules. Like wearing sneakers instead of dress shoes to the weekly church service because I had PE next afterwards. I was also bullied alot when I was growing up. One of those times, I stood up to the bully and was sent to the vice principles office where he too had a paddle. He called my parents and I remember him asking permission to paddle since he knew it was wrong. To which my parents gave him permission and he beat me 6 times with the paddle before putting it away.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Boomers love Trump and the GOP more than their children

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I've always begrudge Cali because Cali people claim that it's the cultural center of every culture.

"Oh you call that a burrito? Not how they do it back home in Cali, where all the good and real Mexican food is."

"Oh you call that sushi? Not how they do it back home in Cali, where all the good and real Japanese food is."

"Oh you call that briciola? Not how they do it back home in Cali, where all the good and real Italian food is."

So much this. Stop loving moving up to the PNW and then complaining its not California. Stop thinking your food is better than anyone elses. California "kulture" is not the be-all end-all to everything. If you want it to be "California", then loving stay there. Don't spread your California elsewhere.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I do work for money. If you want me to work for you, you pay me. If you do not pay me, I do not work for you. Simple as that.

gently caress you, pay me is what I tell all boomers who ask of my time. I expect compensation.

Now for friends and such, I'll go out of my way to help, but I do not make friends with boomers.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

jokes posted:

I'm sure boomers get real good at math/geometry when it gets in the way of their free meal.

They can't count in general. Just got back from the store to buy some more ice and got cut off at the express checkout by a boomer who had a full shopping cart. She looked at me, looked at my bag of ice, then started rummaging through her cart loudly giggling "I hope I have under 15 items" when you clearly knew you didnt.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
This Op Ed from 1984 is peak boomer:

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/06/03/...n89yov317vG-4pY

:gary: Driving drunk is OK!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

quote:

Why do zoomers find it impossible to thank or even acknowledge receiving money, gifts or cards when it is so easy on the internet?
Trisha Burgess, Chichester

Baggaley: I didn’t realise it was a zoomer trend. I always say my thank-yous.

Ayo Ogunleye: Maybe our thank-yous aren’t what they expect. Like, the other day, somebody sent me a gift for my graduation and my mum was like: “You have to show up at their house with flowers.” A thank-you text is not enough for them.

Baggaley: Where does that end? You give them flowers and then they give you flowers for giving them flowers?

Nylander: Maybe we all just need to say thank you to Trisha?

Scott-Turner: Thank you, Trisha.

I've had this argument with many. Why does thank you have to be so extravagant? Can't you just say thank you?

Thank you

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Boomers don't give a gently caress about parking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Columbia was my Challenger, which was my 9/11, which was my Kennedy assassination, which was my Covid, which was my sinking of the battleship USS Maine.

gently caress, forgot to work Buddy Holly in there somewhere

Diana was my Kennedy Assassination