Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wonder what it is about Boomers that makes threads relating to them so prone to vicious self-owns? I mean, all those threads about Millennials:bahgawd: didn't seem to generate the same amount of posts where people just repeatedly punch themselves in the face. It's almost like there is something different about Boomers. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That mugshot is really apt. Would probably make a good avatar, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Callcenter work is the worst work that doesn't involve physical labour.

Some of that depends on the callcenter, the type of phone work, and your attitude toward it.

I did years of phone work, from market research to tech support to financial services. It wasn't always great, but I found the work itself fine.

My whole approach was that I took nothing personally. People could yell at me, swear, insult me - whatever, I didn't care. A personal game of mine was that I would not hang up on someone if they freaked out on me, and I would instead just calmly apologize while they escalated and freaked out even worse, until they eventually hung up on me.

Another rule I followed which served me well was to never argue with a caller/respondent. Especially not about politics, which I would hear happen around me with some regularity.

And whenever I heard someone else in the callcenter saying "Calm down, sir/ma'am" then I knew it was off to the races and they were in for a tremendously poo poo time. It was inevitable. Every time I heard a coworker say "calm down" I knew they had already lost.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

killer crane posted:

oh poo poo, is that what happened to vlassic? i thought maybe i just had lovely taste in pickles as a kid.

e: how many other things were good when i was young but cheap now? was kraft mac and cheese better 25 years ago?

I think this one was more the result of being acquired by a conglomerate, but Marie Callender frozen dinners used to be really, really good. Their chicken and broccoli fettucine alfredo in particular was remarkably good for frozen food. It came in three separate pouches, which you microwaved together and then combined. Even came with a small packet of black pepper.

Then they appear to have been acquired by ConAgra, and the quality nosedived. You can still get a Marie Callender chicken and broccoli fettucine alfredo, but it is all combined and more or less edible.

The quality of a lot of frozen entrees has tanked in the last decade or two, which is probably more about monopolization and squeezing every last bit of profit out of a sector where more and more companies are competing with themselves.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm a Gen X old, but when my junk food order isn't made loving perfectly fresh and piping hot, I shrug, drive away and eat the junk food because who gives a poo poo.

:same: Even at a real restaurant a meal has to be pretty egregiously bad for me to send it back. It has happened, but even if I get the wrong order entirely as long as it is something I might have ordered under other circumstances I will usually just go ahead and roll with it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Boomers love trying to solve their issues with alcohol even when it turns them into mean drunks and creates new problems.

But I'm not a Boomer. :confused:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

snergle posted:

to be fair lithium is a nightmare to take he should try to get different meds but yeah dont self medicate bipolar esp w/ booze

Lithium isn't that bad compared to some other psych meds. I'm not sure why it would be considered more of a nightmare than other ones. Sure, some people don't tolerate it well, but that's true of a lot of things.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

killer crane posted:

I've seen it's their impending irrelevance. they've been the demographic for over half a century, and now their opinion matters less and less.

I've had an uncomfortable experience in grocery stores where I recognize all the 80s songs being piped in and I realize that I am now the target market. Gen X has slowly and subtly become the adults, and it is terrifying.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Are you aware that that one has been edited to say ‘feminist’ rather than ‘conservative’? It changes the meaning somewhat.

True. It also helps if you are aware that Katie Hopkins is a regrettable shitbag of a person, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Anecdotal, but a lot of people my age seem to be scaling back their social media use, at least Facebook. We basically just use messenger at this point to keep in touch.

Our dads are very active and very angry about football.

It seems to me that social media poisoning is not so much a generational thing as a personality-type thing. The main difference between generations seems to be their choice of social media platform to get brainwormy on more than anything else.

Edit: Facebook comments on local news stories seems to be a Boomer hangout, though, made all the more weird because most of the time the commenters seem to have had their brains replaced with Fox News talking points even though the local station they are commenting on is not Fox, and the content of the story they are commenting on has nothing to do with politics or anything else. Every once in a while I open the comments out of morbid curiousity, and it's remarkably consistent.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 5, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If memory serves some people have a pseudo-allergy to gluten, which results in a localized rather than systemic histamine reaction which is the source of the discomfort. I'm incredibly lazy and not fact-checking myself on that, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The two boomers/silents I know who complain about age discrimination are also the first ones to throw literal tantrums when Word comes out with a new version or whenever they have to learn a new type of software. Rather than patiently figure it out, they scream and rant about “millennial techie assholes” that are always unnecessarily messing with their tried and true word processor software.

I'm not a Boomer and I have progressively hated each new iteration of Office as Microsoft dumbs it down and clutters it up. The UI development of Office rivals Apple in terms of anti-usability. Give me Libre Office and gently caress off.

Also, saying "quarter till" or "quarter past" are not Boomer, they're just normal English phrases.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I never liked Journey, but maybe I'm just on the young enough side of Gen X to have dodged that bullet. I remember when the fuckers had an arcade videogame and looking at it and thinking, at like age 12, "Well, that's some commercial bullshit."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Plan Z posted:

I recently rediscovered Hellbilly Deluxe after pretending like I hated it all these years and that album loving melts.

Journey still kinda sucks. It's like Barry Manilow for people with Trans Ams.

I can't not like most of Zombie's stuff. Astro-Creep 2000 is perhaps my favorite album of all time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I mean, that poo poo gave us Umbrella Academy so it may be ok.

Blink 182 is inexceusable, though.

I've always thought of Blink-182 as a more commercial ripoff of NOFX, on those rare occasions I have thought about Blink-182 at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The closest I think I have come to understanding what the "old math" must have been like (I was in elementary school in the 1970s so I must have learned the "new math") is this Abbott and Costello routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN2_NarcM8c

It's also how I picture most Boomers doing math.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do they still sell the weird "low fat" avocadoes anywhere? They were like 2-3 times the size of regular avocadoes and had a hard-to-describe texture kind of like a seriously underripe banana combined with a seriously underripe papaya and tasted like a slightly watery plastic.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

this guy eatin nerf footballs

I think I'd describe it as more like crispy Silly Putty than Nerf, really.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In vegetable chat, I remember my boomer parents occasionally making us eat brussel sprouts and I hated them, and thought of them as weird old-people food that tasted like burnt erasers. Then several years ago I had them again and they were actually really good, and I wondered if it was an age thing or if they had changed. I looked it up, and apparently they deliberately bred the burnt eraser taste out of them over the last few decades.

I wonder if there are boomers out there who angrily reject "new" brussel sprouts and long for the days when they tasted like despair?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

You are thinking of Deathwatch, by Robb White.

I remember checking that out from the school library in the 6th grade. The synopsis doesn't quite jibe with memory of the book, because I remember being angry at the ending because the protagonist not only didn't kill crazy killer hunter guy but seemed content to let the guy off at the end of it. Maybe I'm misremembering the ending, though. It's only been like 36 years or so since I read the book.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

loving Imagine Dragons

https://twitter.com/billboard/status/1211323518329200640

Rock is insanely dead.

Spoon just put out a greatest hits so I'm feeling old as gently caress

I dunno, I've always felt hinky if a song or a band I like shows up in the top 40. Also, I like a lot of Of Monsters and Men but Billboard is classifying them as rock? What loving metrics are they using to determine genre?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The North Tower posted:

Wait what? Like ‘oh we don’t know what this is?’ (experimental terrestrial aircraft) or ‘we saw the greys’ level of UFO?

It was more "there are a lot more privately owned drones and poo poo around so making sure airspace is clear means we need more robust reporting of unidentified objects to make it safer."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

No metal detectors
No School Resource Officers
Only drills were fire drills

The cops completely lucked into the post Columbine era because now they can find a reason to charge at least one officer's salary to the board of education in even the smallest towns. I remember getting to high school in 2000 and being told that there was a cop on site full time "just for now" and it's now been...goddamnit I'm old now. Anyways, from the last I've heard they still have a cop on site.

I went to high school in the 1980s and they started having a cop on campus during my time there. I think it was mostly due to drugs and a moral panic over gangs, but there was still a cop in our school then. Pretty sure metal detectors were in use in some big city schools around that time, too.

I mean we did not have "active shooter" drills, but cops and gun worries were already a thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, I was in a rural town where my graduating class was 53 people. We didn't need a cop in school and they were useless anyway. We had all sorts of fights and straight on bags of pot being thrown between people in the halls and the cop was never there. I swear his job was to stand in the lunchroom and have his had near his gun full time like he was gonna have to shoot a kid for not eating all his mashed potatoes.

You can argue about the effectiveness of cops in schools, but from my experience they are there for security and not as part of some sort of community policing effort in these small towns. They are more there to find reasons to get kids in trouble than to establish any sort of trust between the cops and the community.

My high school was decent sized, like over 1000 students total, and one of 4 in the school district, so a decent-sized urban area. I remember they had an assembly to announce they were going to have a school "resource officer" and were met with a great deal of heckling from the back of the audience.

In those days you knew when the student body vice president was selling acid because he wore an American flag t-shirt when he was carrying.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The "smart kid" thing is particularly problematic because as education funding has gotten slashed over the years, one of the first casualties was gifted student programs. The background assumption is that kids who are ahead of the curve can take care of themselves, and don't need extra support. That leads to situations like being forced to do needless busy-work or get a bad grade, which kills motivation and easily leads to a downward spiral. I had the highest score in my school on the PSATs, and ended up getting expelled before I graduated due to being treated as a discipline problem when my attendance dropped off due to some mental health issues and being left with a what appeared to be an unsalvageable GPA.

I think the vice principal who had a particularly grudge against me might've been greatest generation rather than a Boomer, but holy hell is the attitude towards gifted students a boot-strapping Boomerish thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

This also stigmatizes "smart" kids from really reaching out and getting support, because they don't want to risk calling their special status into question. Happened to me and it sucked. People will absolutely turn on a dime in how they treat you.

8th grade was where my spiral downwards started. Every Monday my "Language Arts" class started off with a 20-word vocabulary/spelling test, followed by a week of homework to teach you those words, followed by a quiz on Friday to see if you learned the words.

Every Monday I got all 20 words correct, because I was reading at a level way out in front of my peers. Every. loving. Monday.

I brought this to the teacher's attention and asked if I could do something else during the week since I clearly already knew the material being covered, and her response was to insist I did the same work as everyone else. What was the point of me doing homework to prepare for a test that I had already aced? So I stopped doing the useless homework, and got the first D I had ever received. It was all downhill after that.

Again, this teacher would've been older than a Boomer, but a very Boomer mindset.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grape posted:

Wait so are you mad that there are less "gifted student" programs, or mad that you got labeled as one such student and had people assume you had no issues because of it?

Fewer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It does seem like there is less "brand loyalty" and more "this brand is part of my identity" or "this brand makes me look rich/important/cool."

The weird iPhone supremacist poo poo is in this neighborhood, as were Nike Air Jordans at one point, and now I guess displaying other brands is in vogue. I've always found this kind of thing weird and pointless. There seems to be significant portion of the population who cannot understand that price doesn't equal value, nor does price equal quality. Like someone said up-thread, fanboyism is loving weird and seems like a desperate attempt to cobble together a personality from material goods, like a deranged magpie gathering shiny things to put in a nest of three twigs held together by a thin layer of poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

Boomers love to pull out in front of you so you have to slam on your brakes even though they could have waited two seconds since there was absolutely no one behind you. As soon as they are in front of you though they suddenly lose all sense of urgency and will enforce the speed limit because gently caress you that's why.

Most of the time I am forced to pass on the right on the freeway it is because of a Boomer oblivious to anything behind them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My preferred response to "how are you?" for a while was "I could be worse - I could be on fire." It was succinct, honest, and it frequently got me the most wonderfully baffled responses.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel like the aversion to spicy things is less a Boomer trait and more a Midwestern trait. Although it is probably even more prevalent in Midwestern Boomers.

Which are worse, Boomers from the Midwest or Boomers from the South - it seems like they are going to be the worst of the worst.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Re: the Planet X stuff upthread, it's likely some of the Boomers are conflating various hypotheses and/or conspiracy theories, such as Nemesis, which actually references a dwarf star: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(hypothetical_star)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SirPablo posted:

Can I swim naked at the community pool?

Technically yes, but probably not for very long.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

In West of Loathing you can go around and search for treasure in spittoons, it's great. Everyone should play it.

There really is treasure in there.

I wish they'd put out some more DLC for it, or do another game.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WaryWarren posted:

My Boomer dad is obsessed with the Coronavirus and tries to interject it into any conversation. I guess for Boomers with Trump Derangement Syndrome, they have to take the opposing view of "this illness is fake news".

This got passed by, but it looks like you are using "Trump Derangement Syndrome" a bit weird here.

"Trump Derangement Syndrome" is usually used by fascist apologists to describe anyone who disagrees with Trump, particularly those of us who recognize him as the atrocity he is.

In the current environment I'd expect to see FOX pundits using it to describe someone who sees the current administration's actions regarding coronavirus as lacking. The people who are claiming "this illness is fake news" are the same people who would accuse anyone who thinks it is a concern as having "Trump Derangement Syndrome."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

big trivia FAIL posted:

I majored in advertising and it's hilarious when people claim they can't be affected by it. I was literally college educated on how to sell you poo poo you dont need and probably dont want

I run an adblocker. :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Heath posted:

My mom bought a prepaid cellphone off of HSN recently. It broke my brain.

Things like that and QVC are more of an addictive thing than an advertising thing, as far as I can tell.

Boomers addicted to capitalist consumption seems pretty in line with the thread, at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cheesus posted:

Listening to my Millenial-Boomer wife talk to her Boomer mother about the Corina virus and explaining that it's all just overblown hysteria.

She's trying to convince her mother to drive 5 hours next weekend for her monthly visit.

And of course trying to demonstrate that she's an expert despite having no training and not paying attention to anything that has been explained by any authority at all.

It's infuriating and glorious at the same time.

:sever:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

She hemmed and hawwed and would eventually fall back on "well I didn't have it so these moochers shouldn't have it" and "that's the way its always been." The conservative mindset so distilled you could make a cocktail out of it.

Jesus, that is chilling. That is so inherently antisocial and anti-progress it is mind-boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had Sunday dinner with the folks tonight and got some good news - the trip they had planned to go the East coast, then England, then back to the East coast, then back to the West coast, has been cancelled. My stepfather had started thinking they probably should earlier in the week and my mom was pushing back, but I guess it hit the point it was clearly not doable anymore. They are good, progressive people, but mom was looking like she was going to be stubborn on this one until the writing was on the wall by the end of the week. Feel like a bit of a bullet dodged on this one.