Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Outrail posted:

Or do all your cutting, chopping and slicing with a butter knife if you're not scared of a challenge.

My old mates boomer dad slaughters sheep with a butter knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Redezga posted:

I'm from Australia but half my family is mestizo South American and my younger brother and I definitely caught a lot of flak for 9/11 when it happened, even from people we knew. I've also been mistaken as a white invader by Aboriginal people, and half Chinese by Chinese people when I worked in retail. Much like Gen X people my actual ethnicity is seemingly little more than a myth, and at best whatever seems suitable for each individuals personal narrative.

Doesn't this make you a half white invader, at least from the Aboriginal perspective?

Lazyfire posted:

I worked with a Portuguese guy and in one of our office bullshit sessions he ended up saying "white guys like you and I..." and my first thought was how I didn't want to follow this conversation now that race was involved, but the second was that most people would take one look at him and think he was Latino (or, the boomer catch all of "Mexican"). It was a great real world example of the "race is a social construct" line everyone hears at least once in college.

And isn't a Portuguese guy Hispanic?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Redezga posted:

The other half is Swiss, which is admittedly pretty white but to my knowledge not big on the invader stuff.

To be fair to the Aboriginal people that labelled me a white invader, I do get why they were so angry. This was around the time leading up to the 2000 Sydney Olympics, so a lot of them were unwillingly relocated to my neighbourhood several hundred kilometres away in the middle of nowhere to make room for sports venues and athlete accomodation. That and all the other stuff white settlers have done of course.

I'm not trying to suggest you shouldn't have moved to Australia but I don't think the fact that the country your white antecedents are from hasn't invaded anyone much means you're not an invader. And as a historical aside pretty sure the swiss have done heaps of invading, just as mercenaries.

mlnhd posted:

Hispanic people speak Spanish

Duh I feel like an idiot. In my defence **gestures at interesting posts about how the word Hispanic has come to its current meaning **.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Redezga posted:

Yeah the more I thought about it the more I realised my status as an invader is technically plausible, but I was born and raised here so it seems kind of difficult not to impose myself on a country by this point. I also completely forgot about the mercenaries!

poo poo I don't know how I glossed over the being born their part in your first post on the subject, I'm going to pretend it's because I'm extremely pro immigrant and "being from Australia" doesn't imply being born their not because I was probably out of my gourd. :)

Weka
May 5, 2019

Barudak posted:

Its not a farce if anyone gets laid.

Buddy let me tell you about my love life...

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah, but tbh I agree. I need those beers FROSTY.

limp_cheese posted:

A guy in my unit unit legeitametely tried to get "Jedi Temple" put on his dog tags in the religion spot. When we learned that was an option it opened the floodgates of people wanting to put something fun there instead of "Non-denominational Christian." At the end of the day "Non-dom Christian" was what most of us ended up with anyways.

Why not just Sub Christian?

Weka
May 5, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have a GED. I took the test my junior year of high school and bounced at 17. Granted, that's from 2000 in Tennessee, but I was already in a trade school when my former classmates started senior year.

That poo poo probably wouldn't fly now, but it was a good way out of the hell that high school can become.

That trade school certificate isn't the only schooling I attended after high school. I spent enough time in traditional university, after the military, to rack up 90 odd credits. Burned out while trying to work, school, and deal with a divorce.

I have neither the local equivalent of a diploma or GED but I went straight from high school into university, also in 2000.

learnincurve posted:

I just had to explain to a boomer that it does not matter if you deleted the picture of the car or not, if the sign said £1,5000 they do not by law have to sell you the £15,000 car for £1,500. Companies being forced to pay sticker price is not, nor it has never been, a thing, just like “finders keepers” is not also legal. He did not believe me, especially about the finders keepers and launched into “if I find a packet of money then it’s mine”

Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuccccckkkkksssssssssaaaaaakkkkkeeeeeeee!

Finders keepers is a British legal maxim originating in Roman law, but it only applies to abandoned or unowned things, not lost things.
:eng101:

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah life is a lot more pleasant when you are nice to the people you have small unimportant interactions with.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Technically the queen owns all the land in England and it's held enfeof by who ever else.

Weka
May 5, 2019

She can technically veto any law.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm hoping at least one commonwealth country decides to just keep Liz 2 as the queen even after she dies.

Sadly we all made a deal to keep the same monarch. I wanted to import harry to replace our governor general.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

Kinda.

In 1975 the Australian governor general John Kerr (who is effectively a monarchy appointment) dissolved the elected Australian parliament, sacked the prime minister and put the opposition in power. There was a lot of angst about it at the time leading to some momentum towards formal separation from the UK and the formation of an independent republic which... Eventually lead to nothing. Very weird.

Google the Whitlam government and dismissal for more info.

The governor general is technically appointed by the crown but on the advice of government ministers, hence they are effectively a government appointee. I'm going to do some reading on this though, very interesting.

Bonzo posted:

I'm also pretty sure that, at least on paper, she can overrule Canadian Parliament as well. There's a position called Governor General of Canada which reports to her and has held some power in the last century or so, but is more of a diplomatic/ceremonial position now. Currently the position if vacant as the last one, Julie Payette (Canadian engineer, scientist and former astronaut), resigned when reports came out that she was extremely verbally and emotionally abusive to staff.

Yeah I'm a kiwi and we've got the same deal here.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Screw Clinton for ruining what could have been amazing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

BalloonFish posted:

But Parliament explicitly controls the existence (and funding) for the Army (hence why it's the British Army, not the Royal Army) and practically control the funding for the RN and RAF*, even if they are supposedly the monarch's personal property. The Queen may be astoundingly wealthy, but the Windsor family funds wouldn't run the navy and air force for very long.

* Until 2003 only members of the Army had to swear an oath of allegiance, because they weren't Royal and therefore might have had other loyalties. The loyalty of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force was taken as implicit. It's also why traditional British Army officer's commissions were much more friendly and kiss-rear end in their wording than RN and RAF ones, which read like threatening letters - the Army officers are taking the historical place of barons and other aristos who represented an alternative power base to the monarch and had to be sucked up to and won over. Navy and Air Force officers were effectively royal servants and woe betide them if they didn't act as such.

The bit in bold is the reality of the British """"consitution"""" - the monarch has all the power on paper, but none in reality. Parliament has no power on paper, but all of it in reality. It's a balance worked out over the course of 800-odd years.

The queen is still the head of the army though. She can order around army dudes and is responsible for appointments at the two star general rank and above.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Greg12 posted:

wait I thought this was because the army cut the king's head off

That's what he said.

Re boomer parents not telling you anything when I was about 13 we were at a family friend's for dinner when our house caught on fire. My parents just left to go deal with it without mentioning anything. It should be noted I have always been a calm and accepting person, able to deal with whatever crap (admittedly mild compared to the rest of this page) without any problems. But apparently me finding out from other people was better because...

Weka
May 5, 2019

Spinz posted:

Truly evil people, you have to walk away.

Heck you should feel free to walk away from people just for being mildly annoying. The easiest way to make the biggest difference to overall wellbeing is generally to prioritize your self.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I feed my dog all my table scraps, usually directly of my plate as I'm eating and she never makes a sound, because I trained her not to. It was incredibly easy, I simply did not give her anything if she did. For most of her life she would scab food by sitting somewhere you could see her and pointedly looking away from you, because I would not feed her if she begged. I've gotten slack because she's old and good enough so now she just sits patiently.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Just invest in bullets and beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

I like Garfield.