Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Rock may be dead, but
You can't kill the metal
The metal will live on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Batterypowered7 posted:

My workplace "believes in working from work", thus radiating massive amounts of Boomer Energy in the process.

Just hope it isn't ionising. Though considering that phrasing, it probably is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

“The New Day” features Josh singing about watching a child grow in a garden, seeing her bloom so she can “be a woman soon.” None of this lysergic-sexual thinking is within the band’s grasp, they are just swatting at crusty platitudes and copy-pasting old mythos hoping no one notices that they are too small, too inept to even put forth one meaningful, specific, original idea.

:staredog:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yeah, where's the loving ROCK in that list. Awesome music is absolutely being made in great quantities, but it seems very little of it gets really big anymore.

Also, Audrey Horne (the band) rocks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Rap finally hit the point where it's allowed to be emo and I say let it

Looking forward to nu-rap to happen next.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

LabyaMynora posted:

I remember learning about German social boundaries.

Making small talk by saying, "What do you do for a living? How much does that pay?" - normal.

Making small talk is pretty bad form though. The smallest talk you can make that is still socially acceptable is talking about the weather for ~30 seconds before moving on. (be sure to know at least a few weather models though. At least GFS, but hopefully also ARPEGE and ECMWF, because you know those yanks don't know a thing about European weather and also…)

Never, ever, ever, ask a rhetorical question as a greeting. They are fine to use, if a little inflammatory, when you are arguing about politics in the nearest bar, but as a greeting they will be answered, usually truthfully, unless the person has work experience in dealing with anglophones.

You probably can't handle a truthful answer to "how are you?" and Germans can't handle being asked "how are you?" first thing in the morning. It absolutely murders the flow of the conversation. If you are really unlucky "how are you?" will be understood as a philosophical question and you aren't getting out of that conversation without an existential crisis.

I am only half joking. Routine conversations are highly formalised in many cultures and if your conversation partner doesn't play their part the flow of the conversation crashes and burns immediately. We get a lot of exchange students and they always need some time to adjust

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bonzo posted:

Coming soon

I thought necromancy was outlawed

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

e.pilot posted:

I wish we could use some form of “good day” to socially greet people you give zero shits about like German and Dutch speakers do.

e: Hell the Dutch will often shorten it to just “dag” which would be like greeting someone with “day” which is wonderful with no insinuation of wanting conversation.

"Dag" is also danish for "Day". :eng101: However, imho, "Moin" is the best greeting.

• It's monosyllabic
  • Can be used regardless of time of day
  • You answer by saying "Moin"
  • Can be used further north, just chop off the "n"
  • Does not imply you want a conversation
  • No religious connotations, not gendered, does not originate from classism
  • Invokes sitting on a beach, a cold breeze blowing, drinking a Pilsener, and I think we can all agree that's generally a good thing

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Aloha has three syllables. That's way too wordy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

My grandfather chewed tobacco, so he always had his half-gallon milk carton cut in half and stuffed with paper towels "spittoon" with him at all times.

I can still remember the smell and the mold that would grown in that thing :barf:
In West of Loathing you can go around and search for treasure in spittoons, it's great. Everyone should play it.

There really is treasure in there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have a really long Polish last name so as a kid, I was really looking forward to making everyone call me by that. But the world changed.

Brzęczyszczykiewicz, is it you?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Soylent Pudding posted:

My paternal grandma kept most of her faculties up till about 83 and for a nice old Catholic lady was a loving ruthless card shark. My maternal grandma is the same way and is still the scourage of her senior center card game and trivia nights.

Of course they're all greatest generation. Meanwhile when I worked in rural Florida I was surrounded by mush brained boomers who never did anything but sit and watch TV.

Oh gently caress that brings me back. My grandmother, retired teacher, absolutely destroyed me at scrabble when I got older and cocky. Imagine teenage me, laying in a pool of my own blood, teeth mixed with scrabble letters, realising she had been holding back all these years. But here she was doing the scrabble equivalent of teabagging.

And she was playing with a handicap. Alzheimers leveled the playing field later, but that's one hollow loving victory.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

insta posted:

The first person to effectively build a mainframe-in-the-cloud is going to be a fucktillionaire.

There are mainframe emulators out there. But that doesn't really help, since the hardware isn't really the main problem. Mainframe hardware is weird but indestructible.

The problem is not the data either, data can be massaged and migrated.

The problem is the code. The code codifies business processes and nobody has ever bothered to document the _intent_ of the code. So for someone trying to migrate to a different platform it is utterly impossible to distinguish bug from intended behaviour.

This is practically a law of computing. Nobody ever documents intent, nobody ten years from now will know why it works like that.

Excel still thinks 1900 is a leap year and is probably the only case with a documented reason. It's a dumb reason but good luck figuring it out on your own. Why does 1900-02-29 exist? Because gently caress you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Krispy Wafer posted:

The fattest creatures in the animal kingdom are vegetarians (or at least eat almost exclusively grains or vegetables). I have no idea where plant-based = thinner came from.

The promotion of vegetarianism, as far as I have seen, usually coincides with a reevaluation of food in general. If you are going to change your diet you will be forced to change habits. This is perfectly self-reinforcing: Vegetarianism is associated with health-conscious eating because health-conscious people are the ones who are thinking about what they eat and how much and that's going to include a lot more veggies.

And anyone who "goes vegetarian" because of the perceived health benefits but without drastically changing habits is going to eat miserable meat-based meals with the meat left out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

What's with "dieting" meaning "temporarily changing my diet" to people anyway? To have any lasting effect people have to change their habits permanently, and that's incredibly hard to do. Evaluating your own habits and consciously changing them is a brutal process because honest introspection is painful and laborious.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The North Tower posted:

Camus claims that when Sisyphus acknowledges the futility of his task and the certainty of his fate, he is freed to realize the absurdity of his situation and to reach a state of contented acceptance. With a nod to the similarly cursed Greek hero Oedipus, Camus concludes that "all is well," indeed, that "one must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

PipHelix posted:

Pretty much nothing else that happened required her.

True, but that's because the book is trying to contrast her upbringing via an actual real human interacting with her to another character who is tutored by basically a human construct trapped in a book, to a huge army of orphans being brought up by a purely artificial book.

The central point being that you need an actual human being involved in parenting, even if it's remote.

Also, she gets raped near the end, yes. But when I read the book I got the impression she was pretty profoundly traumatised before and her matter-of-fact account of the event is something I recognise from literature about abuse victims. I'm afraid that's Stephenson having done his research. :(

Stephenson has been getting further and further up his own rectum with every book but he makes some pretty un-techbro points quite often. Probably by accident…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

PipHelix posted:

she's a goddamn ninja, kungfu kicking and slicing fuckers up with a samurai sword that she gets from... somewhere.

I don't remember that from the book but I'm also rather disinclined from checking. :ohdear:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

LabyaMynora posted:

Is there some German phrase that in its original German it's more obviously a command, but when you translate it literally to English it comes off as a request?

There's "Möchtest du…?" but it's just as likely to be misunderstood because it's only a command in some regions and contexts and the vast majority uses it to offer you something…like a beer.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

:wtc:

Yeah, I didn't remember any of that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Collateral Damage posted:

What is the proper use for ellipses anyway? I feel it's one of those things like the semicolon that few people know how to use correctly.

You use it to signify that you've truncated something. There are many reasons why you'd want to draw attention to it. Like if you are listing things and want to say "the list goes on", then a … is fine. Or you don't even need to finish the sentence, because the rest should be obvious to the reader.

Also, use , not ... like some rube. It marks you as a smug rear end in a top hat, and that's important in typography. Let me tell you how I know… :smuggo:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This German feels attacked by those capitalisation remarks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Eldercain posted:

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

between this and them making me think i didn't like vegetables beause boil them to death and don't season them i'm having intense flashbacks to burgers that taste like wet paper with a side of broccoli mush

Boomer vegetarian cooking has to be the saddest thing in the world. Barely exaggerating here.

Globalisation has made available spices from all over the world, unparalleled access to great recipes and ingredients, a treasure trove of flavours.

And what do they do? Leave the meat out of meat-based dishes, no replacements, nothing.

I am traumatised from meeting relatives.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pretty good posted:

Boomers love having printers at home, so they can print stuff off of the computer

"Internetausdrucker" is a German insult by the way. It's someone who prints the Internet.

My mother told me tales of a colleague who would insist on printing all their emails, even the spam, and filing them in ring binders. Same with web pages.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I work as a computer janitor, and lmao "security". Lmao, I say.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

dee eight posted:

coffee derail has already been done
and boomers love to relitigate poo poo endlessly so i guess why not coffee derail again

Well if you insist.

LifeSunDeath posted:

30 bux, has worked perfectly for 5 years...makes espresso if you get a special filter. Also I have a water boiler so there's always hot water ready to go...it's faster than a keirg to make a cup of coffee with my setup.

It doesn't make espresso at all, but it does make really good coffee. It's like a French press but easier to clean. Pay another 30€ for one of those cheap Japanese conical grinders (Hario Skerton and all its rebrands) and you're set. I have been using that combo at the office for a decade now.

The crazy thing is that good coffee is cheaper and easier to make than the bad coffee made by automatics marketed at boomers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

AFewBricksShy posted:

Since we're allowed a quick coffee derail, I have an aeropress and the coffee it makes is way too weak.
I use a pour over instead and it's much better. I like my coffee strong.

Try 120 seconds at 80°C with a somewhat coarse grind. Just let it steep for a bit.

The upside down method is not recommended because the company that makes it is american, but it's the superior method.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Wouldn't listening to funeral doom be more appropriate? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Snackula posted:

I'm full boomer on the coffee front, got a fine Italian espresso machine built 3 years before I was born and a comically huge grinder intended for commercial use that's almost as old.

That's artisan, not boomer. I got my Bezzera BZ10 as well. :smug: