Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Pre-Boomers: Taxed themselves to build infrastructure, the subjects of Scorsese films
Boomers: Benefited from a world that treated a housing shortage as a crisis to be solved rather than an opportunity to amass unearned wealth; the protagonists of history
Gen X: Invented by Pepsi; put the curse of "authenticity" and the fear of "selling out" upon us all
Millennial: Kills industries, votes for Obama
Zoomers: Netflix romcom characters, ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
laugh tracks were kind of a sweet idea. they thought it would feel sad or lonely to watch comedy without the experience of laughing with other people, like people had done at movies and live theaters.

gently caress em tho

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Without Gaj, this thread has devolved 100% into “BOOMERS LOVE TO [extremely specific annoyance poster is pissed off about right now which has only ever happened to them once in their lives and has absolutely nothing to do with boomers]!!!”

Gaj’s saga is better than the rest of the content this thread has seen since he showed up. He’s skating on the edge of believability, but there’s nothing in his stories that’s obviously impossible to anyone who has dealt with crazy parents. The only thing wrong with his stories is that, if they are true, we are goggling at an obviously mentally ill individual.

Nobody is stopping you from posting about how much boomers love to change lanes without signaling near exit 44 on the I-95 or whatever.

don't mess with me I am a
BOOMER
born in
JULY
who loves to
CHANGE LANES WITHOUT SIGNALING
NEAR EXIT 44 ON THE I-95
or whatever

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Baby Boomers like thinking that the world was called into being for them and that it needs to be used up before they die.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Baby boomers like enjoying the benefits of their parents and grandparents having taxed themselves to pay for the nice things that made their lives so good but not taxing themselves to do the same for their children and grandchildren.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

bar88537 posted:

My dad's in the 1% and was telling me that a 401k isn't really worth dealing with unless your employer has a generous match. We went to some calculators to argue it out but I couldn't find great calculators online that'd show real world examples quickly.
It's breaking my brain because he's a rich boomer and I would have thought tax avoidance was imperative #1, and wealth accumulation is #2, but he somehow missed this one?

I meant more like Prop 13, Reagan, and The Contract With America.

"why should we pay to maintain infrastructure? it won't wear out until after we're dead."

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I don't think taxes will be lower when I'm old enough to withdraw because we will have to replace all the poo poo that baby boomers deferred maintenance on.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Do posters from other countries dislike baby boomers or just old people?

Americans born within a decade of 1955 got a free house and big empty freeways and luxury schools and free college. They then said, "GREED IS GOOD LOL" and imposed a housing shortage and neoliberalism on their children so that they could get... what, a redwood hot tub? A Saab? Martha Stewart-branded home goods? Rick Steves tours? A "rustic" cabin in an urban area that they can sell for ten times what they paid for it?

Did other countries experience this kind of generational inequity?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Things boomers like: taking credit for and identifying as the things their parents did, especially cars, the moon landing, and ww2.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

why is it relevant that he's Asian?

to differentiate him from the white guy with stupid hair

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there's a white guy with stupid hair named shingy who bills himself as a digital prophet? well nevermind then, clearly such a designation is of the utmost relevance.

this guy

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

my great grandfather was greatest gen, but he treated his dogs like poo poo

we'd go over there and I swear they'd be 10% ticks by weight

I'd wager he had some sort of walking clocks

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lucifer's hammer for the lol

A meteor hits the Earth, allowing Orange County white flight assholes to defend their exurban subdivision from every group that Reagan would save them from and rebuild the 1950s free from all of the bad people.

Published the same year Prop 13 passed -- a true expression of its time.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

insta posted:

it's SO STRANGE that a bunch of mail-in votes counted after the election changed the election results in states where they couldn't begin counting mail-in votes until after the election.

baby boomers like losing their sense of object permanence?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
uh, by the end of the korean war, there weren't anymore structures in NK to bomb, so we were just bombing crops

"During the campaign, conventional weapons such as explosives, incendiary bombs, and napalm destroyed nearly all of the country's cities and towns, including an estimated 85 percent of its buildings."

"After running low on urban targets, U.S. bombers destroyed hydroelectric and irrigation dams in the later stages of the war, flooding farmland and destroying crops."

1/10 koreans were killed

Then we put in our own hideous dictator to match the one up North.

NK may be bad, but everything NK says about us is true.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PeterCat posted:

Syngman Rhee was president of SK from 1948-1960, so before the Korean War. The United States purposely denied him any heavy military equipment to prevent a war while the Soviets gave the North Koreans tanks and artillery. Because of this, the North Korean nearly won the war and were able to nearly push the SK and US forces off of the peninsula.

It's not surprising that South Korea was very poor until the 1970s. The country was completely destroyed in the war and it took decades to rebuild from that. Once the rebuilding reached a certain point though, the country far surpassed North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngman_Rhee

And let's not even get into the fact that Korea would have been united by the UN forces if not for the intervention of the Chinese, which prolonged the war and left Korea divided.

Imagine how much sooner the country would have been reunited had the UN not intervened!

You see how the US military putting a dictator in charge of a country is bad, right? Even if it happened in 1948 instead of 1950.

"he was returned to US-controlled Korea by the US military, and on 20 July 1948 he was elected President of the Republic of Korea with 92.7% of the vote, beating Kim Gu." Wow! Rhee was even more popular than Pinochet and Honecker!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PeterCat posted:

As opposed to the Communist dictator in the North?

I really want to know why you have it out for the US when it was the North Koreans that started the war?

the boomer is inside your head. not understanding that your enemy is the good guy in the story he tells himself is massive boomer brain.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
one of my boomers was so infuriated by ken burns vietnam's telling of the story of ho chi minh in vietnam before 1946 that she turned it off.

it's probably good that she did before the interviews with vietnamese people who were alive during the vietnamese-american war

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
all location-based benefit in the use of land goes to the landlord

oh, your farm has particularly fertile soil? the difference in value it creates over worse land will go to the landlord, not the farmer

the landlord didn't make the loving land, no matter how boomerbrained you are about bootstraps and self-made american men or whatever

there is no benefit to the world at large if some random shithead gets the extra benefits derived from location

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PeterCat posted:

Are all property owners landlords in your eyes?

You have a backwards view of how farm rent works. Farmers in the midwest own their land and either work it or cash rent it to other farmers who pay for the use of the land and keep the profits from the crops raised on the land. You seem to be operating under the premise that the world is as it existed in the 1920s, not the 2020s.

We started out talking about nationalizing housing, not speculating on vacate lots. Any increase on the cost of buying or selling land will favor those with more money and basically destroy the wealth of anyone who does own their home.

owning land? The baby boomer is you! And he was talking about taxing land at 100%, not "housing."

Ricardo, von Thuenen, Smith, etc, were right and continue to be right. All of the difference in the value you can expect to get from land will be taken by the landlord as higher rent. Sorry. You can see this in property-based reality television shows about "wow look how much more or less you can get for the same price in different markets!" The difference is the land. (Any Realtor® will tell you, the three most important things in real estate are "Location, location, location!")

It is not good that this wealth, completely unearned by the landlord, goes into the landlord's pocket instead of toward something worthwhile.

Are there more jobs and higher paying jobs in your city? The landlord is going to capture that by raising rent.

Is a plot of farm land more fertile or closer to markets? The landlord is going to capture that by raising rent. (or, did it get that way because you, the tenant, improved it? sux 4 u. The landlord is raising rent.)

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Baby Boomers like being given a house and then being mad at everyone else who wasn't given a house for not having a house

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
are christmas psychos the same people as disney psychos

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
ok so the thing boomers love above all else--austerity--has a lot to do with everyone having gps navigation enabled all the time while driving.

the hot new poo poo for transportation professionals is "intelligent transportation systems."

that's tech talk for "google knows from all the phones where the traffic jams are and reroutes people around the traffic jams so that we get the most use out of the roads we have.

and that is just transportation pros deciding to give up because it's not like we're ever going to be able to build mass transit or the types of neighborhoods that mass transit can actually serve well, no matter how badly people want to be able to live in them. the only thing within the realm of possibility to deal with more and more people trying to use the roads we have is to have their phones tell them where there are some slightly emptier roads.

because boomers decided that infrastructure is manna from heaven that never needs to be maintained, improved, or expanded. it has always just BEEN THERE. there's no reason to pay taxes to invest in it. it's crumbling because... uh... unions, or food stamps, or something.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 18, 2020

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
it's not graft when the system is built to make white anglosphere people born between 1920 and 1965 rich as gently caress at the expense of everyone else alive and to be born

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

tinytort posted:

I'm guessing North American, because I know there was a TV show involving a black family that was adjusting to modern life (with the kids being Super Woke, and the parents admitting they don't always get it but wanting to encourage them), where one of the kids went "no, you can't call it that, it's 'criss-cross applesauce'" and the dad goes "it was Indian style when I was your age, what's wrong with calling it that?" And the kid explains "it's a racialized term. How would you feel if someone told you to sit 'n-word style'?" The dad pauses, seems to actually consider this, and then goes "Criss-cross applesauce it is."

screenwriters, the greatest knowers and teachers

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
All this talk about the boomer metropolis of San Angeles makes me think some of you would enjoy The Reluctant Metropolis by William Fulton.

yeah california is poopy rear end--it's a culture founded by people white flighting themselves clear across a continent, self-selected as those dumb enough to move 3,000 miles because of a Southern Pacific advertisement

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 28, 2020

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

PipHelix posted:

Gonna run down that book recco, and the white flighting line just reminded me of 'The Jumping Off Point' by Edmund Wilson. Sort of like how Boomer is a state of mind, there are GenX Boomers and Millenial Boomers, the Silent and Greatest Boomers who were the first wave of Southern California settlement just started killing themselves in waves once they realized they're the hype was just hype and they're same miserable people in California as they were in like Minnesota or Iowa or whatever, and of course they've run out of 'West' to 'Go, Young Man'. Like, this is during the Depression so of course, rates were high everywhere but Vacationland, USA was putting the rest of the nation to absolute shame.

holy poo poo thanks for the book rec trade

Reluctant Metropolis (available on Link+ at your local library!) is the story of how LA got to be that way, told using illustrative anecdotes.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
mountain and forest property owners also hated the $150 per habitable structure per year fee to pay CalFire to protect their hillside mansions

"personal responsibility"

right

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Solar Coaster posted:

So much this. Stop loving moving up to the PNW and then complaining its not California. Stop thinking your food is better than anyone elses. California "kulture" is not the be-all end-all to everything. If you want it to be "California", then loving stay there. Don't spread your California elsewhere.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Robo Reagan posted:

hell yeah i frickin love cali *vptes to make murdering homeless legal then drives prius in to a wildfire*

make it match the username!

*takes money extracted from gig labor and uses it to build a robotic reagan, then elects it governor*

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
LOL that reminded me

"we're going on a field trip to [cultural institution in the regional central business district-adjacent regional central cultural area]. DO NOT LOOK OUT THE SCHOOL BUS WINDOWS OR GANGS WILL KILL YOU FOR MAKING EYE CONTACT."

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

bobjr posted:

I mostly hear that about cars when one crumples but the injury to the driver is less bad.

Like it would suck for my car to be totaled but I’d also rather be alive.

ok millennial

you'll never know the freedom of a cherry goat with glasspacks and a holley pumper feeding a 427 into 3.37 gears and nonexistent dui enforcement

that's way better than "walking" to "avocado toast" in "joshua tree national park"

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Dude can you rephrase this? I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say.

arnold's dad was in the SA
poster's grandfather was in a military that fought germany
a lot of people who survived the holocaust committed suicide
the poster believes that rightwingers shouldn't be praised for condemning the putsch that they brought into being

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
mario is the name of a persyn of italianx descent born before 1965
mario is the name of a character created by a japanese playing card company

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

snergle posted:

wait is joshua tree over run by millenial hipsters? because it used to be a red neck militia area with the military base and being sparsely populated. really pretty area though

I know it's right by that huge Marine base, but it's ground zero for LA dinguses in big black hats who like crystals and triangles, and is now overrun by youngs who go off-trail and trample delicate soil to take a picture surrounded by a virgin wildflower patch or weird cactus

(and then the next one has to go a little farther off trail to get a virgin patch, and a little farther, etc etc until it's all sterile dust)

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's been my experience that silents / greatest gen are, if not more progressive, at least more open minded about "I don't understand why that's wrong but I'll accept it's impolite to do / say that now" compared to boomers. This really applies to being open to changes and new information in general.

it's because baby boomers are the protagonists of history, and the world was created for them in the way that is perfect and should be eternally--or at least until it ends when the last one of them is gone.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
do boomers like posting on percocet

because that makes neera a boomer

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Accretionist posted:

Mandatory retirement at 65.

In with the new.

this is why china can adapt and will win

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

I love Measure 5 because it's like Prop 13, but somehow more idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
is making fun of America Firsters the people getting to work or people dying