Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

But typewriters have had SHIFT keys on them since the 1880s and the function didn’t change one iota after the computer age dawned

Okay, gotta jump in on this. I was taught how to type by my grandma on a typewriter when I was young, like 5-6 years old, I'm 36 years old now. I annoyed the hell out of her while she tried to teach me because I never, ever learned how to type with home row/qwerty. Because of that, I'm a "tap caps lock" guy. I peck like a motherfucker, but last typing test I took, I typed about 95 wpm with a 96% accuracy or some poo poo. It's all muscle memory now and as long as I can find the first letter of what I'm typing, I don't need to look at the keyboard and I know exactly how to tap-tap the caps lock with my left index finger. Don't ask, my ADHD riddled brain figured it out and I here I am, making GBS threads this garbage out at you all in like 2 minutes.

Boomers love celebrating religious holidays on the actual religious holiday date even though no one goes to church anymore. Even if that means making their adult children tired as gently caress the day after a Sunday holiday. gently caress Easter y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if Boomers are responsible for this but knowing Boomers, they are responsible for this.

https://www.dollconnectionstore.com/annacarterbabies1.htm

https://www.ashtondrake.com/std-che...&utm_source=URL

This is probably worthy of it's own thread but I don't want to dive down this horrifying wormhole so that's all you guys

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

My brother thankfully downloaded all of Law and Order, so my dad just constantly watches that instead of watching CBC Newsworld (24/7 news, but with less talking heads and more repeated news stories over and over and over again).

My mom keeps busy with those Discovery shows and we've talked often about how UFOs could be real, but that doesn't mean the government is a bunch of baby eating globalists. She wants to go to one of the UFO conventions with me sometime, since we shared a fascination with that stuff when I was growing up. If I can find a non-Q-level-crazy one, I'd totally go with her.

My dad on the other hand watches Golf or News, and News is him yelling at the TV about how the rich only exist to gently caress over the poor and how we should put people like Bezos in jail if they aren't gonna pay their taxes. He's stopped talking to A LOT of his boomer friends because, in his words, "they only care about their own money and nothing else, they don't want to help anyone and all they do is complain and be assholes". So, he's good I think.

stealth edit - Dad voted for Perot in the GHWB/Clinton election, didn't vote in the 2000s because he hated both sides, became waaayyyyy more left leaning after 2008 when I couldn't find employment and he watched a ton of people around him lose everything. VERY thankful my parents aren't nutters.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AuroMarshmallow posted:

My wife collects certain dolls as a hobby. Not these ones, thankfully, but she tends to amass a lot of doll related knowledge, and I recall this type coming up in past conversations where she mentioned that some people buy these lifelike baby dolls as a coping mechanism to deal with the grief of losing a child or not being able to conceive. It doesn't make them any less creepy, sure, but I at least view them through a more sympathetic lens after learning that.

People buying them for fun, I have no excuse for.

My girlfriend was the one who gave me an advertisement from a magazine her Boomer parents gave her, and she said the same. I definitely understand some people using them as coping tools, albeit really fuckin' creepy coping tools, but yeah, anyone who buys them for fun? Serious Boomer Derangement Syndrome

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

A lot of that is similar to the Hacker Writing Style; Jargon.txt has stuff like Good Thing, Right Thing, bad thing vs Bad Thing, etc. I wonder if it dates back to pre-Web posting things that only allowed standard ASCII, so emphasis was hard to portray, which is why we have MULTPLE Ways _of_ *showing* /it/ in plain text.

Hello, Noted Random Capitalizer bagmonkey here. It's 100% this. I know how people read text and sometimes it's just a really good way to get A Specific Point across by emphasizing the right words. I also do it sometimes because it annoys the ever living PISS out of some people and I really do enjoy getting under people's skin. Most of my Random Capitalization is in forum posts, on social, etc and I don't use it a ton in texting and never at work.