Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

quote:

tl;dr - Boomer burns bridges with baffling blow-up; bugbear burgled book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

CPL593H posted:

Everyone hates Italians.

Nobody ever says Italy.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's some powerful boomer energy in this AARP article:

"You wanna put all your money into 7 percent CDs."

Holy gently caress, 7 percent CDs?! When was that a thing?! I'd kill for that!

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Earwicker posted:

the most boomer band of all boomer bands is steely dan

It's actually Bad Company. Mild, boring, safe music talking about how dangerous and badass their lives are. Steely Dan is actually great when you really deep dive into their catalog. Took me years to realize it though.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Picnic Princess posted:

The only humor boomers know is slurs and racist/sexist/homophobic stereotypes, hating their wife, and despising all kids. All jokes must be made at the expense of others.

It's funny, because in the last few years I've become very distant from my father, because ever since joining Facebook a few years ago, he's turned into this hateful fucker, and sooooo many of his traits I thought were just him I'm seeing echoed in the thread, and this is yet another one. I've always hated his style of humor, because it's always been mocking others. When I was a kid (and a teen, and an adult...) whenever we were in driving somewhere in the car, he would point at someone (usually a fat person), and just lock his finger on the person the entire time, whether they saw him or not, and just say something like "WOW! Look at how FAT that person is!" nevermind that he's built like Homer Simpson. He'd laugh at me and mock me as a kid when I mispronounced a word, or get upset with him trying to express when I what I was feeling (I'm talking in the 2-6 range here). Don't you DARE mock him though, because that's just rude and disrespectful.

Boomers are poo poo.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Well, Sleep is a very popular band with metal nerds. Autism ZX spectrum (I feel weird typing that) is correct, the punk and metal record communities are very passionate about their albums. I started collecting records a few years ago, and as far as collecting things goes, it's pretty great, because you get something that looks cool, has a small footprint, and even if a record doesn't end up being worth anything, you still get music to listen to.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

channel z posted:

lowtax's spinefund thanks you for your third contribution. despite purportedly being broke all the time, you've spent at least $100 on the forums.

This is weird, shut up, no one cares about your dumb drama.

As someone else said, in addition to having cool art, most records come with a digital download code, so you support the artist, get something you can actually hold in your hands, and a digital copy as well, all without paying much more than the digital only price.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
My dad was this way. "I can't afford to give you a raise/healthcare!" *buys giant two story house and spends thousands on lumber to build a birdhouse*

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I was born at the very tail end of 1980 but still think of myself as millennial, because very few of the traits of GenX ever applied to me. I mean, I love Alice In Chains and Mitch Hedberg, but that's about as far as it goes. Growing up a poor kid, I really, really resented the typical GenX attitude of "My high paying job and my large house isn't *~spiritually fulfilling~*, there's got to be more!"

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

mind the walrus posted:

Fight Club, Office Space, The Matrix, and American Beauty form a rancid quadrilogy of htis attitude, and it's p telling that they're all really insufferable if you don't take them as the broadest metaphors possible.

Exactly the movies I was thinking of, with Reality Bites thrown in for good measure.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Krispy Wafer posted:

Boomers are why fast food workers have to wear gloves even though I can scratch my rear end wearing latex too.

:chloe: I think you're gonna be the only one dying on this hill, soldier.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Just an rear end in a top hat thing. Happens very frequently with douchebags and lifted trucks.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I held off on writing this for awhile, because it's a big ball of poo poo, and really, where to begin? It's not exactly entertaining, but I've been internalizing it for weeks now, and needed to get it off my chest. I've posted about my father in the past, and his slow decline into being another faceless, frothing, terminally-online, right-wing idiot, and a few weeks ago, everything finally boiled over.

I've spent the last 11 years being a caregiver for my grandma, who has advanced Alzheimer's disease. Prior to that, I took care of my grandfather, her husband, who was dying of cancer. This was 2009. I was only 28, working at GameStop, and living with them, just kind of meandering. Before the economy crashed, I worked for my dad with his window repair/installation business. He had done well before the crash, as anyone associated with homes did, but almost lost everything, and held on for years before finally retiring. My dad ran out on my mom and I when I was about 3, and knocked up a teenager, who he also then ran out on. My mom and I lived with an extremely abusive man when I was a kid, and my childhood was very, very difficult. My mom passed in 2001, and I took it very hard, as she raised me. The day she passed, my dad and the step family went on a trip to Disneyland. They left without telling me. I found out from my aunt because I couldn't reach him and was reeling with grief. Anyway, caring for my grandparents, especially my Grandma after Grandpa had passed, was the hardest thing I'd ever done, and was under more stress than I had ever been. I didn't sleep well, I was in constant pain, I was severely overweight, I had no idea how we were going to make ends meet, and wondered if I was going to end up homeless by the end of everything. Just miserable. When she first started her decline, I went to him to ask for help. I really didn't have any idea what to do. I felt so lost.

He didn't want to get involved, and told me the worst advice anyone has ever given me: "When she says something to you, just reply 'Ok, grandma'. That's it." I told him my opinion of his advice, and I was stunned by his callousness. I realized I had to go it alone, and it was terrifying. I credit my survival those years with my ex, my friends, and a woman I hired to manage everything into a trust, who basically ended up being my mom through all the time we spent together. She died about two years later of cancer.

My ex and her mom were bigger women, and my dad found this hilarious. He would needle them on Facebook posts, getting blocked by my ex's mom, and several friends and friends of friends. He would comment on everything like an edgy 13 year old, even posts he wasn't mentioned in, because Facebook is garbage, and he'd see posts that I'd liked, and then insert his stupid opinions. Around this same time, he made some online friends who were extremely hard right, and he started becoming more and more like them, sharing obviously wrong conspiracy garbage, typical "Obummer coming fer yer guns!" crap, despite never caring about guns or abortion prior to this, and describing everyone else as being "brainwashed". Eventually, I had to block him when he started mocking a dear friend of mine who's father had passed recently, and the lesson he took away from it was that it was her fault I blocked him.

As long as I've known him, his style of humor has always been mocking. He loves making fun of fat people, despite not being slim himself. He's very racist, which became way more open after his change. But his number 1 target, has always been gay people, especially those that are trans. When we would get into it online with he and his friends, he loved to bring up how when I was about 2 or so, I would tell him "You hurt my feelers", and laugh and laugh about it. Now, a person whom I consider family is trans. I was the best man at his wedding. He drove me to the hospital years ago when my eardrum burst when I was sick. He's been there for me whenever he can be. He and his partner live with me right now, but his very existence is a joke to my father. I apologize, and realize this is a bit rambling, but I needed to set the stage.

My grandma's Alzheimer's has finally reached the end. When they stop eating, it's time to seek hospice care, which I have. I have been mentally bracing for this for over a decade, but it's still not easy. What's compounding the whole thing, is COVID-19. I can't visit her, and it's just been a whole 'nother layer of stress. I haven't heard from my dad since around Christmas. I called him, and left a message. He calls me back a few hours later, asking what's up.

"Grandma's in hospice. She's in the final stages of Alzheimer's, and they've diagnosed her with pneumonia."
"Huh, that sucks. So, how you doing on toilet paper?"
"Uh, I'm fine. But yeah... She's in hospice and sick."
"Yeah, that's too bad. How about bullets? Do you have enough bullets?"

I ended the call shortly after that, and got angry. I couldn't bottle it up anymore. I immediately called back. He answered, and I snarled, "You know what? We're not done yet." and completely laid into him, bellowing into the phone about what a garbage person he is, about how the center of my life is dying right now, and all I get is a shrug and asking me about bullets. I tell him he's been absent from my life when I needed him most, instead choosing to openly fantasize with his lovely friends about murdering me and the kinds of people who were there for me when he refused to be. My roommates heard the whole thing. I don't remember my exact words, as I was just vomiting out years of rage and frustration, but I do remember at one point saying to him "I'm not some toy that you can just pull out of a box and then put away again when you're done having a son for the afternoon".

He called me the next day, I ignored it, and then texted him this:

quote:

"No, it's fine. I know you enjoy getting a rise out of people, so I guess you've achieved the ultimate goal, right? You've managed to alienate everyone close to you. Now your own son doesn't want to talk to you. You won, Dad. You're the ultimate troll. Hilarious right? Go tell all your friends that your little limp wristed f***y kid got upset at the way you've treated him and those close to him for the last several years. It's really, really funny. I'll be sure to remember that when I'm burying grandma, standing alone on the cemetery grass. Epic win. Very epic."

There are many, many terrible things he's done in the past that I haven't even touched on either. To me, my father is an avatar of Boomers. Loud, stupid, opinionated, selfish, and has managed to coast through life despite being such an obnoxious fuckup. So many of his traits I've seen echoed in this thread, when I thought it was just him. It's been a little cathartic seeing that so many other people's parents are also vile, lovely people, but I am truly sick of Boomers.

They're an entire generation made up almost entirely of the worst people. gently caress Boomers.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Rutibex posted:

your story is basically 1:1 copy of my own worthless father. i don't like sharing my own personal poo poo myself, but your definitely not alone in these feelings

It is a little comforting knowing it's not just me. I was a nervous wreck after I told him off, shaking for a whole day afterwards, but after about a week of digesting the whole thing, I'm glad I did it, and realized I lose absolutely nothing having him out of my life. No one close to him has ever called him out, instead of hand waving away and saying "Oh, that's just how he is!" which reinforces it. I'm done.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

AceClown posted:

My condolences for your Grandma Duck_King

Thank you. It's tough, but all things considered, she's been well cared for during all of this, and I am grateful to the nursing and hospice staff.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Outrail posted:

That really sucks, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.

But don't completely block him out of your life yet. You might get to decide on the quality of nursing home to goes to.

You joke, but this was also a major factor in why I finally snapped. He moved up into the hills, and when I questioned if it was a good idea, he asked me why. I said "Well, you're getting older, and what if you fall or something? It will take an ambulance forever to get there." He told me that if he dies, he dies, no big deal. He also told me he was thinking of moving to Idaho. Aside from him, my entire family is either dead, or near it. How I might feel about him dying or leaving never once occurred to him. All he cares about is his own happiness.

gently caress him. I hope he's been stewing in this and miserable.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Bonzo posted:

I thought some of you could use this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3t49NsWBA

I loving love this song so much, and it's one of their under-appreciated classics.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Dameius posted:

Nothing ever happened on the internet so just enjoy the story instead of being oh so clever by going, "nuh uh."

Yeah, this whole edgy "I've never said anything clever/mildly funny in public so neither did you" shtick got tiring years ago. Let people tell their anecdotes, and if you don't believe it or don't think it's funny, move on.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

the R. Guyovich School of East Asian History

This got a laugh out of me, thank you.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the internet is never truly anonymous, but it is usually anonymous enough. or at least it used to be, this real names online poo poo baffles my ancient rear end.

Same. I grew up in the 90s when you should never ever ever give your real name to anyone online, ever, or immediately a dude in an overcoat would show up to your house to put a finger in your butt, and now you're considered a weirdo if you don't use your real name everywhere. gently caress that poo poo, man. I still use aliases everywhere except for when my credit card is involved. I have quite a few real life friends who still refer to me as Duck or my other real-fake name alias.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Kenning posted:

Oh hell yeah it's the lovely listicle site version of Reminisce magazine.

I think about what it must be like to be a staff writer at Reminsce sometimes and fail to imagine it every time.

Super late reply, but I actually really enjoyed reading Reminisce. I'm sure now it's pivoting to Boomers, but years ago I got a subscription to this for my grandmother with Alzheimers while I was caring for her full time, and she really liked reading it, and since I'm really big into WWII and the 40s in general, I enjoyed reading it as well. It's kind of a cute, wholesome little magazine.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

priznat posted:

Yeah I think my never on time for anything dad is probably the reason why I am extremely punctual, almost pathologically so. I start stressing out if it look like I will make it to something less than 10 minutes early.

Same, and for the same reason, but for me it gave me an extreme amount of anxiety. When he would pick me up from my mom's on Saturdays, he was never early, and often would be 2-5 hours late. I was living in a very abusive home, and so was desperate to escape, because if my step-dad managed to wake up from his hangover from the night before, he'd find some reason to get angry at me, forbid me from leaving for the weekend, and then beat the poo poo out of me in the backyard. When he would finally arrive, I'd be so angry with him and in a hurry to leave, and he'd just laugh and laugh about how impatient his son is. "Calm down son, ha ha!"

I hope they both die soon.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

life is killing me posted:

Holy gently caress, I hope your dad did not know about what was going on (meaning he didn’t bother to intervene). JFC like forbid you to leave when your dad was coming?

He didn't know, and when I called him out for ignoring the obvious signs for years, he blamed it on me, the child, for not saying anything. And yeah, my step-father truly hated me. Anytime I expressed any sort of joy, he'd crush it immediately, and he almost killed me a few times. I've been through things, I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I've posted about my lovely dad for awhile now, and I'm still digesting his behavior over my lifetime after cutting him off, and I only recently realized that all he ever wanted was the fun parts of fatherhood, and nothing beyond that, AKA, the Disneyland Dad.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The youngest generations have never been forced to deal with a filing architecture. The idea of storing bits of paper inside labelled and categorized paper bin is a foreign concept to them and tbh that fukken rules.

I was thinking about the comparison for the boomers. When most boomers were born, the computer was twenty years old. By the time they were in their thirties, the first personal PCs were making an appearance, and would have been completely and utterly ubiquitous by the time most of them were into their late forties or early fifties. To make a comparison to younger generations, I was fourteen when Steve Jobs got on a stage and proudly waved around the first Iphones. Now, for the next forty loving years, I'm going to make an effort to not use it because 'it's hard'.

To be fair to the boomers, the smart phone was literally pointed at the average consumer from day one, but cmon my dude, imagine going forty years repeatedly avoiding a device that is popping up in every loving aspect of your life because learning how to use it even at a very mediocre level is mildly annoying.

This is exactly why I have zero tolerance for Boomers who refused to learn computers. I'm 42 now and still learn new things as they come along, because I don't want to be a helpless dinosaur. I never grew up working on cars or engines, but I learned how to change the oil on my bike and make some modifications to it. Obviously I'm not a mechanic and know when I'm in over my head, but I still try. Same with learning how to cook. I mentioned before that my dad taught himself to use DOS and OS/2 in '91, and get on the internet and download shareware and look things up. Around 2000 he basically decided he was done learning things, and can't even grasp the most basic of steps when using a smartphone or modern OS.

They're just lazy as poo poo and want everything done for them instead of learning anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Doctor Butts posted:

I want a backup cam because it has the lines telling me how straight the wheels are and even though I have a compact SUV, it's still hard to see if someone darted behind while I was checking my mirrors and looking around in the other direction.

I get the feeling you were lucky enough to work with a computer who's OS had a gui.

Computers in the 80s were like over a grand which could be 3 grand in today's dollars.

Plus they were all cli and had a language that took time to understand. Programs took a while to load and there was no such thing as multitasking other than saving, putting in a new disk, and loading that program.

By the time GUI came on the scene, boomers were likely pushing or over 40 years old.

If using a computer wasn't part of your job, it was a significant investment of time and money to learn to use. Most boomers probably bought the first PC's for their kids.

I know, but by the time 95 rolled around, it was quite obvious they were the future, and here to stay, and by the 2000s they were far more common, and it's not like he stopped owning them either. Like I said, he just didn't want to learn anymore.