Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

deadking posted:

Seriously. Goddamn it mom, you type like a lunatic.

Hello?...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mordja posted:

Gardening, good food, bad jokes, new puppies, vacation time with friends & family. Love you, dad! :)

gardening rules tho

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my mom bought two ipads so she could have words with friends and cheats with friends open at the same time

my dad brags about never spending money on clash of clans but bought an 800 dollar ipad so he could see it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

ITT, young people yell at olds because they have to work up the nerve to order a pizza over the phone.

lmao we use can the app for that stop hiding behind a rereg corsair

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Sign-in person: "What is your date of birth?"

Boomer: "Hold on, I got it right here." *starts digging around in his paperwork*

Sign-in person: "I just need your date of birth, sir."

Boomer: "Hold on, will ya? I'm getting it." *still digging through paperwork*

Sign-in person: "Sir, just tell me your date of birth, please?"

Boomer: "3-27-1951! Okay?!"

Sign-in person: "Thank you. Now what is your social security number?"

Boomer: "Hold on, I got it right here." *starts digging around in his paperwork*...

these are coping mechanisms because they're losing their memory

alzheimer's is starting to hit earlier and earlier and we don't know why but dx is difficult because people will hide it for as long as they can and their loved ones will lie to themselves once it becomes obvious and then boom one of them gets lost at the bubba gump shrimp store or whatever and then no one can ignore the obvious anymore

then all the money they've hoarded their whole life goes to paying a micronesian CNA 8/hr to wipe their rear end four times a day and not report the sexual abuse while the rest goes to some nameless corporation based in delaware.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like eventually im going to tell people to just send their parent to whatever medicare will pay for and don't bother flushing their inheritance down the drain to take care of someone who won't know where they are and won't remember them. like what's the difference in having a cafe and movie theater in their LTAC or SNF if they cant remember to wipe their rear end

the retirement home industry is a huge loving scam and all the wealth of the boomer generation is going to vanish into giant healthcare corporations

and we still won't have healthcare lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigDave posted:

I've already seen too many of those care facilities, no loving way I'm going into one of them. If I'm ever diagnosed as Alzheimer's or terminal cancer, forget it. I'll take a long weekend in San Diego or Cancun, then eat a gun.

oh absolutely. you basically just described the mindset of every single person that works in healthcare

i will never forget doing my rotations for my cna. it was at a medicaid long term assisted care. every CNA had 20 beds, and almost all of them were mod to total assists. the first thing i did that day was hoyer lift an obese stroke patient onto a rolling bed and down the hall to a shower room where i hosed them off. they poo poo uncontrollably the entire time.

there's nothing the CNAs can do. CNAs there get paid 9 dollars an hour and have to work 12 hour shifts. on average they can spend three minutes an hour with a patient. These are people that need to be fed, bathed, clothed, and toileted. burn out is high. there's no background checks. they need the help too badly. if you've been popped for stealing drugs at a different job, you'll end up there, especially if you're a nurse or lpn. the patient has dementia. who's to say if you did or didn't give them their meds?

CNA that abused or robbed patients at a different place? they'll take you at a snf or a ltac. rapes are not uncommon. both staff on patient and patient on patient.

for places like these to keep getting medicaid/ss/medicare they have to prove they give 1 hour of entertainment to their residents every day. every day after lunch we'd dress them as best they could and wheel them into an auditorium where someone would perform for free. it was usually religious groups. we would pass out one cup of juice. they'd sing for or five songs and leave. this was their entertainment.

this was also when the family would come visit, if they ever would.

i remember one rich young boomer who'd just thrown her mom in there. She was a very proper woman, and would try to do her makeup every morning. she was also has urinary urgency but couldn't get out of her chair, so she'd just scream help because she wanted to go to the bathroom all day, which we just couldn't do. 20 beds per cna

so let me just reiterate this picture. wheel chair bound woman, in the hall, makeup all over her face, nice clothes poorly applied, screaming for help to go to the bathroom. at the top of her lungs. all day.

son looks at me and says "this place is pretty good, yeah?"

yeah. sure. you'll get what's coming to you too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mycomancy posted:

Is there any data backing this up? I'd like to see it.

it's difficult due to people hiding it, but every physician in primary care will tell you it's happening. this is just from uptodate if you're curious

quote:

Age of onset — AD is characteristically a disease of older age [2]. It is exceptional for AD to occur before age 60. The incidence and prevalence of AD increase exponentially with age, essentially doubling in prevalence every 5 years after the age of 65 years. (See "Epidemiology, pathology, and pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease", section on 'Incidence and prevalence'.)

Early-onset AD (onset of symptoms before 65 years of age) is unusual, and many of these patients present for evaluation due to concerns about job performance. Many of these patients have no clear familial pattern and thus would be considered sporadic, although some exhibit familial clustering. People with early-onset AD often present with atypical symptoms, including language, visual, or mood-behavioral changes.

There are rare inherited forms of AD that routinely present before 65 years of age, and frequently in the fifth decade or earlier. These account for less than 1 percent of all cases of AD. They typically exhibit an autosomal dominant inheritance pattern related to mutations in genes that alter beta-amyloid (Aβ) protein production or metabolism, including amyloid precursor protein (APP), presenilin-1 (PSEN1), and presenilin-2 (PSEN2). In a meta-analysis with individual-level data on 1307 patients with autosomal dominant AD, the mean age of symptom onset was 46 years and was highly correlated with parental age of onset and mutation type [3]. Patients with PSEN1 mutations had the earliest median age of onset (43 years) (figure 1). The range of symptom onset across all mutation types is nonetheless fairly broad, with some presentations in the fourth decade and some mutations not manifesting symptoms until the seventh decade (see "Early-onset dementia in adults", section on 'Neurodegenerative dementias'). Individuals with Down syndrome, who have an additional gene dose of APP due to trisomy of chromosome 21, inevitably develop AD pathology, and symptoms emerge at an earlier age, 10 to 20 years younger than the general population with AD [4]. (See "Genetics of Alzheimer disease", section on 'Trisomy 21'.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao magic the gathering was satanic but my dad basically forced seven year old me to watch pulp fiction.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

boomers really love stopping whatever they're doing to hear the weather, no matter what channel its on

also this

https://i.imgur.com/pqU0OaV.mp4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dont take a shower in a thunderstorm what are you thinking

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigDave posted:

Boomers love bitching about the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit.

that was like half a decades worth of drive time radio jokes

every single morning for years jon boy and billy or bob and sherri or whomever would bring that up and just yuck it up real good.

"hey remember when she sued because her coffee was hot? can't imagine what she'd do if it was too COLD AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the defining political timespan of our lives was 9/11 into the government straight lying to us about iraq and murdering untold millions of people and all the other bullshit that came out of it leading to a complete financial collapse and the ruination of our future earning power

for the boomers and gen x'ers it was a dude lying about getting a blowjob and being able to walk off the street into a six figure job

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Dave's sniping of Leno from his own monologues during the whole Conan thing was one of the funniest parts about the whole mess. The only better thing was probably Jimmy Kimmel making GBS threads all over Leno about it on Leno's own lovely show. Here's a clip of a clip, can't find the original footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtitOjc6Rg

Ol' Jay also got in the news again recently when he went on a whiny rant about how late night "these days" is too political. Last Week Tonight did a pretty good take down highlighting Jay's brazen hypocrisy on the matter. Bald faced hypocrisy is a key boomer trait. So yeah, I guess Jay is basically the Omega Boomer.

and the circle completes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

uh was this before or after 8mm came out

quote:

Cage, Nicholas. Long-time heroin user. Didn't make it through high school. Attacks paparazzi. Has at least dabbled in (and with, and on) men. "Was such an rear end in a top hat on the set of Wind Talkers, that the crew referred to him as "Nick The Dick" behind his back." Reported to have a large snuff film collection, which is what broke up his marriage to Patricia Arquette. Doesn't tip (shame on you!). Formerly with Patricia Arquette (ex-wife), Laura Dern, Angelina Jolie, Sarah Jessica Parker, Lisa Marie Presley, and Uma Thurman.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

some of this is just the catiest poo poo

quote:

Crowe, Russell. Reports are divided on whether is a straight-shooter or an egotistical roughneck. Drunkard. High school drop-out. Has had at least one three-way (with another man, no less); rumored to have been same-sex before he hit it big in Hollywood; rumored to be flirty to gay men until they respond, at which point he gets abusive. Shouts his own name in bed. Rumored to have sold drugs as a teen. Rumored to have hit women in the past. Brawler who fights dirty, including biting his opponents. Linked with Jennifer Connelly, Jodie Foster, Heather Graham, Nicole Kidman, Courtney Love, Meg Ryan, Winona Ryder, and Sharon Stone.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/David5TV/status/1142534172059295744

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RobattoJesus posted:

Boomers also love those 500 frames per second interpolation modes that make all films look like Spanish soap operas.

That's because their eyesight is going and that looks better to them.

If you've ever wondered why everything on fox news is so saturated, that's the reason why. they know their audience so they dress them in bright colors, overdo their makeup, overlight them, etc. you know how trump and the rich racist ghouls that fawn over him all look bright orange? to the boomer with dimming eyesight, it looks tan.

and you know when they do those photoshops that make democrats look darker or whatever? it jumps out even MORE to the elderly. they basically look like stereotype racist depictions of jews or whatever.

it's the same reason they start to yell when they talk (they just assume everyone is trouble hearing at this bubba gump) or start only eating sugary foods (taste buds are going)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

also take these physical things and apply it to their deteriorating mental status, social preferences, politics etc. and they have the money to keep themselves ambulatory enough to vote for longer than any generation in human history.

lmao seriously the entire world is going to be destroyed by a bunch of wealthy boomers who are browning out between the ears

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Divorced male boomers are incredibly sexist. I'm not sure if they were just super sexist all along and even other boomer women can't stand being married to them for long, or the divorce itself just amplifies whatever latent sexism they had.

combined effect of being rejected by a woman, a legal system that generally favors the the ex wife, and having to pay their HARD EARNED MONEY to that lying bitch so she can bang someone younger and better looking and not work.

then they buy a lovely sports car, grow a goatee, and find the nearest burned out cocktail waitress they can.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cessna posted:

Also the Vietnam war.

The vietnam war wasn't really that big a deal to the boomers.

popular myth has created this world where every single boomer was part of the anti war movement, but that was only a small fraction. The media at the time focused on them, but there were just as many pro war movements on college campuses, and they were often very violent. The news stories about "radical leftists" occupying administration buildings got a lot more play than "local college republican group charged the protests and sent several to the hospital."

but it goes back to boomers mythologizing their history. Look at polls about asking them today, and something like 7 million boomers would have been at woodstock. Every one of them was part of the anti war movement. Every one of them SAW soldiers get spit on (no proof of this every existed btw). Every one of them burned their draft card yada yada yada

For the vast majority of white middle class boomers, the war in vietnam was just like what the war in iraq was; something that was over there that didn't impact them directly and every now and then it forced them into a political opinion. It had very little impact on their daily life. Remember the average middle class boomer was so disconnected from the war that when RFK ran for president in 68, he was proposing getting rid of college deferments. The only way he could get those comfortable middle class boomers to care about ending the war in vietnam was force them to put some skin in the game. Prior to that it was just poor black kids getting sent over. The white ones? They were fine unless they volunteered.

People have said watergate and yeah that kinda fascinated the nation. If I had to throw one in there it'd be the gas crisis/inflation.

For those that don't know, Nixon basically nuked the world economy in 73 because of....reasons. Wages started to stagnate for the first time ever, and then inflation started to tick up. Now inflation is great when you have debt (would you rather owe 10k in 1973 or 2019) but the boomers had no debt. They had savings, or wages. So for the first time in their entire lives they were faced with the prospect of something happening that would effect them.

And then nixon went ahead and declared a national crisis from the oil embargo. There was still like 3 months of oil en route, but nixon loved conflict, and saw division as somethign he could take advantage of. And that caused a gasoline crisis all on its own. Dumb silents and boomers would idle for hours in gas lines, which wasted more gas, and were topping off and spilling gas, which wasted more gas, and then the gas shortage ACTUALLY hit, and for the first time their happy go lucky american way of life was faced with the hard realities of you need something from another nation.

My mother still talks about this like it was the worst thing that every happened. "You don't understand Fiz, I HAD TO WAIT IN LINE!"

so yeah, inflation which became stagflation which mildly inconvenienced them to the point they endorsed economic policies started with volker during the carter administration that were then carried out to fruition by reagan that focused on controlling inflation at the expense of literally everything and anyone....except boomers. Boomers because the lending class, and so of course they want inflation as manageable as possible. Then they naturally became the investing class, and tax and economic policy of this country adjusted accordingly.

And now their on fixed incomes "THAT WE ALL EARNED by being the most prosperous generation in human history" by paying into social security, and w can't do ANYTHING that might impact that. Just wait and see, that's how republicans will eventually defeat medicare for all. They'll convince boomers it will hurt them.

So yeah, don't sleep on stagflation in the 70s. If you look at american economic and fiscal policy since then, it's very much a "do anything to keep the white boomers happy and gently caress everything else" approach.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 12, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqVVswa420

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

If you ever had to gently caress around with irqs to make stuff work, you aren't a millennial

I had AOL 3.0 in middle school, am i a Millenial

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigDave posted:

Only if your mom used it to play Slingo.

gail fashizzle didn't figure out the internet until she got her iphone

after that she became the most boomer facebook trump voter you can think of

"Can't vote for hillary, she has too many bodies."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

They also believed action movies in the 80's reflected real life. Death Wish 3. Commando. Invasion USA.

There was an entire industry built around the nixon lie that hundreds of POWs were still held captive in Vietnam. I think Chuck Norris himself was in two movies about going to rescue them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my preceptor has gone to two Eagles concerts in the last month and that's all he talks about.

The last was down in the Caribbean and it was tied to the hotel where you purchased a room. the more expensive the room the better seat you got. He spent 20k a night to sent front row and center.

the first hour they played hotel california straight through, took a twenty minute break, then played for another hour and a half just random songs

he will not stop telling people this story with me around him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WJqKWqUHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigDave posted:

OPEC boycotted oil exports, so for once their cool cars didn't run and they didn't have a guarantee of a job. Then some of them decided to get into politics to prevent it from happening again, yadda yadda yadda, Joe Biden.

my mother talks about the oil embargo like it was the loving siege of london

"You don't understand, WE COULDN'T GET GAS"

like the worst thing that's happened in her life was a mild inconvenience and it has poisoned our politics for close to half a centuryh