Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Farmville and Facebook slots
Church
Baseball
Ground beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can't tell who is worse, Boomers, or the seriousposters in this thread.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

CPL593H posted:

I would have thought that someone whose tree was a victim of baby boomer aggression would be more sympathetic.

I was at the beginning of the thread. You fuckers aren't giving me any hope that you'll do a better job now. Now I'm all sad. I'mma call my parents and see if they need me to fix their emails. Then I'll ask then for money.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I wonder why they like chain restaurants so much? What were non-chain restaurants like in the 70's that made them avoid them like the plague?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

mojo1701a posted:

This one's not as universal since it's mostly white boomers, but: thinking you will agree with them right off the bat. I can't tell you the amount of times boomers will assume that, since I'm white like they are, that I'm a safe space (ironically) for them to say whatever they want and not be criticized. Like, a racist or sexist joke out of nowhere, and they become offended if you don't laugh. I've never really experienced that with anyone under the age of 50.

Believe me, it's hilarious when this poo poo happens as a half-Mexican.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Sponge Baathist posted:

- making GBS threads into a plastic bag and throwing it out the front window instead of getting the plumbing fixed

- buying expensive cheese and sitting around eating slices off the block

-doing donuts in a nice sports car with a topless woman on their lap

- buying the cheapest toilet paper because bootstraps

- putting poppop and gangie into the old folks home but also refusing to retire from a cushy job that somebody younger and more capable could do

These are mostly pretty cool

mojo1701a posted:

I once bartended one of the aforementioned dances, and this one guy (might not have been a boomer. Hard to tell how old someone is if it looks like they're just falling apart. Seriously, I only remember seeing like, 5 teeth) sees me struggling to open a bottle of beer for some reason. He then told me maybe next time, I should "use a black man's teeth". My brother was the other bartender, and he and I just gave each other the biggest, weirdest, "What the hell does that even mean?" faces. It was that perplexing to us that we couldn't restrain our usual customer-facing cheer. This guy then said, "Ah, you're no fun," before he walked away.

The obvious reply was "I sure couldn't use your teeth." Just sitting there for you, waiting. You blew it.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 18, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Panfilo posted:

Just kids that are playing outside, thirsty and too lazy/not allowed to go inside to get water.

It just spins back to lazy parenting, where instead of actually interacting with their children they just banish their children outside during the 15 hours of daylight so they don't have to deal with them. While I understand that parents need a break sometimes, when you define your parenting by how little you actually interact with your children it doesn't really sound like actually doing something proactive with them.

I don't know, I grew up in a time where this was normal and I actually do think it helped me grow a lot. Either my friends and I had fun exploring or playing games, or I got to go off by myself and learned a lot of confidence that way. I'm not sayi g it didn't lead to a lot of stitches and broken bones, though. And we didn't hesitate to steal water from any body's front hose, that's for sure.

I once got DFACS called on my for letting my 3 kids play in the 6"deep stream that runs through my property while not directly in my line of sight. They did have a walkie talkie though. That was some bullshit. At least the lady from DFACS shut the case and told me I have rear end in a top hat neighbors.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Same thing with my dad. He's an alcoholic who takes Tylenol PM to sleep. I suggested that he just take Benadryl because it's the same active ingredient without the Tylenol that destroys livers when combined with alcohol. Called me a smart rear end who thinks he knows everything.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

ikanreed posted:

Oh yeah. Paying more to advertise a product is a very boomer thing

Judging by the name brands I see slapped all over everything at my college, this is definitely not limited to boomers.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The lady across the street asked my kids to please not blow on dandelions because it might infect her lawn.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

homeless guy posted:

she's right

that's how dandelions propogate

Are you saying that magic fluff is actually SEEDS?! This changes everything. I'm gonna write my congressman.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Supertramp is fun though. They make me want to try kippers with eggs.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I like Boston. They're weird because they sound like rock music that was designed and assembled in a factory. Every note and lyric is perfect and they have exactly zero soul.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Big Dick Cheney posted:

signing their posts. especially with some dumb poo poo like

Keep chuggin',

ChevyFan46

I remember when my dad was really trying to get himself a unique AOL handle (with no numbers) because he was jealous of mine. The best he could do was MarkyBoi46. He was always bothered by all the "gay poo poo on the internet".

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am sending my kids to Cali to visit my parents in a couple weeks. They asked if I could send 2 Publix sandwiches and some Sweet Heat barbecue chips. Not sure if this is Boomer or not, because Publix sandwiches are pretty god drat good

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Pomegranates are delicious. But i'd be pissed if someone put them in my guacamole.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
microwave popcorn is not good and the fake butter stinks up the house (bad), or the workplace (funny). Just pop it in a stockpot or similar with some oil, it's miles better and not hard at all.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I dunno, I've met people who swear by non microwave popcorn, but I can't imagine it's that much better. What percentage better would you say it is to make it worth the extra 10 minutes of labor?

it's like the popcorn you get at the movies

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

bolind posted:

Boomers love using the same windows email client for two decades even after they’ve been set up with a gmail account which can be accessed from every browser on the planet.

Every time i visit my dad I have to 'fix' his computer for him. This last time he couldn't get his offshore poker browser interface to load. I noticed he was using Firefox, so I tried opening it in Chrome. He started flipping out at first, thinking that somehow this was going to cause his computer to get infected with bank account-draining viruses. it worked fine. But he said that he couldn't use Chrome because mom wouldn't understand it. Neither of them are that old or senile, mind you. I ended up having to put the Chrome icon in the middle of their desktop, swap out the icon for the Mozilla one, and change the name to Firefox. She still got a little agiated when she noticed the broswe looked slightly different after opening up, even though I had imported all the bookmarks and such.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Clark Nova posted:

Boomers like to render every computer and financial security safeguard completely irrelevant by doing the online equivalent of drowning themselves in aids cum, intentionally

Don't get me started.

I told my dad at the very least he needed to make sure the password for that site was different than his email and bank passwords. He said, why, they're secure. I explained to him that if they already had his email from signing up, and he used the same password for both, then they had his email password now, and probably his bank too. His eyes got as huge as dinnerplates. He said, "go have lunch with your mom. I am gonna be busy for awhile."

This man has a barbecue set up next to his front door in which he burns all mail so no one can steal his identity.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Clark Nova posted:

I don't even mean being too dumb to understand passwords and security in a general sense, I mean going to pokertitty4u.ru and deciding that it is a trustworthy and legitimate business, a fair arbiter of online poker and titties

Yeah. I kind of wish I could find a site that would let me gamble on horses here in Georgia. Not oven those skeezy offshore sites will let me open an account with them since online gambling is illegal here. I just like to watch the races and bet 2 bucks on the pretty gray ones, for gently caress's sakes. I was just perplexed about the fact that this man is so paranoid about his identity that he burns Parade magazines delivered to his door, yet failed to try to learn even the most basic internet safety.

I also casually showed him how to use incognito mode as a 'safety feature' when it was really to stop mom from getting mad when she saw Asian teen hotties in the history. He picked up on that one real quick.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
When I worked for Comcast this guy made me hook his dial-up modem to the phone port on our docsis 3.0 50meg/sec modem. He ran a tax business for his old friends and it used some weird old AOL tax software that he swore could only be accessed via dial-up. It actually worked too, I couldn't believe it. Made all the bleepy -static noises and everything.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This thread has taught me that there is a restaurant called and that's horrifying. I thought you were all sharing a joke at first.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You give them far too much credit.

Boomers claim to love James Brown while simultaneously being profoundly uncomfortable around black people, yet compelled to overcompensate to prove that they aren't.

I have a boomer friend who immediately switches to a lame rear end black patois complete with calling all women bitches when he talks to a black dude, then he will talk to me as he (normally?) talks. The funny thing is he does it mid conversation without even noticing it if both me and a black guy are talking to him at the same time. It's loving hilarious.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Grape posted:

And his story touches on Everything Important That Happened, which naturally is everything around the late 50's to somewhere in the mid-70's.

What's so bad about Forrest Gump? I remember it being mildly amusing.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

carry on then posted:

enormous "nondenominational" gigachurches

putting decals from their local gigachurch on the back window of their suburban, next to the stick figure family

I thought that was a genx thing
Bonus points if the 'pastor' has frosted tips

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Grape posted:

lol, you know if some old Russian orthodox lady came in muttering prayers while kissing an icon they'd throw her out in two seconds flat for not being a bland protestant

Hook her up with a Unitarian Universalist church pronto.

Ah yes, the BYOB of religions

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
poo poo the weed I was smoking in the 90's was way less potent than today. Back then it was taken for granted that you had to spread the poo poo out and remove the seeds and stems. Seeds were the worst. If you missed one, that little fucker would explode and launch the weed straight out your pipe.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Panfilo posted:

Boomers love to buy questionable aphrodisiacs and hovercraft schematics that are always advertised in the back of Popular Mechanics.

As if having a hovercraft wouldn't be aphrodisiac enough for any woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Xaris posted:

you're just now realizing this? lol

sledgehammer is about peter gabriels penis

Son of a BITCH