Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bruce Lee wanted to make this show in the early 70's.
Now we have Banshee creator Johnathon Tropper and Justin Lin giving us a western Kung Fu show. Anyone that has watched Banshee knows what you are in for.

Set in San Francisco's China Town in the 1870's (Deadwood ish era). The various Chinese Tong's are fighting for survival against the local police, Irish gangs and each other. By bringing in tens of thousands of Chinese workers to fill the demand for cheap labour rebuilding the USA after the Civil War.

Andrew Koji/Ah Sahm: Fresh off the boat and on a quest to find someone, he speaks English and ends up working for one of the local Tong's. He's got mad skills.

Hoon Lee/Wang Chao: Fixer with hands in many pies.

Olivia Chang/Ah Toy: Local Madam to the Tongs, she's got all the prime booty.

Dean Jagger/ Dylan Leary: Irish Gangster, your man is a bad motherfucker.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Dt-5Pv61Q

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pilot was ok, there's enough to keep me watching for at least a few more episodes. Really wish they hadn't interrupted the "big" fight though... I assume that'll get revisited later anyways

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone actually have an explanation for the slang “onion”? Google isn’t very helpful

also second ep decent

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm enjoying it. It's dumb fun like Banshee was.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Does anyone actually have an explanation for the slang “onion”? Google isn’t very helpful

I'm completely guessing here, but based on the opening of the first episode it might be because they all smell terrible off the boat? BO is kinda oniony...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best line from ep 2
"Where you from, Officer"
"Savannah Georgia, Sir"
"Ah... you're not Irish"
"You make that sound like a character flaw"
"It's no loving attribute"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did you guys know the original title for this show was "Peking Blinders?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao, that’s a terrible joke, I hate you

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

also second ep decent

Could just be something they made up:

quote:

But the Tongs in Warrior aren’t speaking in completely modern English. Their dialogue is loaded with slang that the producers and writers invented, because words and meanings do get lost in translation.

“When it comes to Cantonese, there’s certain words that don’t have a perfect translation,” says Lin. “We decided to have fun and create our own slang.”

As a result, the Tongs in Warrior have a vocabulary of slang that isn’t accurate to how real-life Tongs actually spoke. The biggest example is how the Tongs call whites, in derogatory fashion, “ducks,” and white neighborhoods “ponds.”

“That was a very conscious choice,” says Lin, who grew up speaking English in his Taiwanese immigrant household. “The roots of it came from translations, and we took that as a starting point and went with it.”

e: I like the opening credits. It's very stylish.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 15, 2019

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

fadam posted:

Did you guys know the original title for this show was "Peking Blinders?"
I approve this message.

Show is good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This show is good. It's not winning any awards but much like Banshee it's a fun action romp with lots of interesting characters. I'm really liking Leary and between him and Kai n Banshee, Tropper writes some really engaging bad guys.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He's great at outlining their motivations without condoning them. He also good at building up their badassery before the inevitable showdown with the protagonist. I'm looking forward to that duel given they'll have totally different fighting styles.

I'd like a little more character development for Ah-Sam, though, especially if they intend to set him up as some sort of revolutionary hero.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chas McGill posted:

He's great at outlining their motivations without condoning them. He also good at building up their badassery before the inevitable showdown with the protagonist. I'm looking forward to that duel given they'll have totally different fighting styles.

I'd like a little more character development for Ah-Sam, though, especially if they intend to set him up as some sort of revolutionary hero.

I'm looking forward to seeing NotBurton gently caress someone up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I'm wondering if the show is gonna portray how anti irish a lot of americans were at this time. I think during this time period, they really weren't that much more accepted than the chinese were, which makes sense that the two groups are fighting over lovely jobs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 5 was loving outstanding.

The after credits walkthrough was pretty cool too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This was definitely the best episode of the season. The throat rip was completely unexpected and insanely :black101:

I was totally expecting one or both of the innkeepers to die so I'm glad they didn't. I was also expecting Ah Sahm to keep his english secret for longer, but now revealing his secret only strengthened his best bros bond with Young Jun.

I wondered where they were shooting this series and it turns out it's in Cape Town, South Africa. Also :siren: it's been renewed for season 2 already :siren: :woop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 5, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AAAHHHHHHH THAT WAS SICK AS HELL

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Let's hope this show doesn't abruptly poo poo itself in the last season like Banshee did

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That episode was loving great as hell. I already thought it was a good show but this could've been like a movie in itself entirely separate from everything else. Man, I hope this show makes it because it seems very expensive and it does not seem like many people are watching it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

That episode was loving great as hell. I already thought it was a good show but this could've been like a movie in itself entirely separate from everything else. Man, I hope this show makes it because it seems very expensive and it does not seem like many people are watching it.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised they renewed it because I didn't think there were very many people watching this. When I mention this show, no one else has heard of it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The after credits walkthrough was pretty cool too.

Is it just me or does that writer look EXTREMELY like Tim Roth?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That was a very fun episode that honestly felt better than peak Banshee.

It was the quintessential western story to tell too but the little differences made for a good time.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Why isn't this thread busier ? Goons don't know a good thing until its gone...

that was such a great stand alone episode. If they tag that gold into the beginning of an important development it would be such a homerun.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 7, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

Qmass posted:

Why isn't this thread busier ? Goons don't know a good thing until its gone...

I had totally forgotten about this show after seeing a commercial for it once, turns out "Kung fu by the Banshee guy" is a very good idea and I'm glad it's getting at least one more season.

Cinemax tends to be sort of the bottom of the pile for paid cable quality but to be fair if you'd told me a decade ago that Starz was going to put out Spartacus, Black Sails and Ash vs Evil Dead I'd have called you crazy so I certainly don't object to them stepping up to deliver cooler if not necessarily the smartest programming out there.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's very entertaining...arguably has a little more complexity than Banshee, too.

I just like seeing good fight scenes in a TV show.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

It's very entertaining...arguably has a little more complexity than Banshee, too.

Part of the problem I had with Banshee is that it really strained credibility in the town, the various groups that lived there, the impersonation of the sheriff, also while the last season sucked I wasn't really a fan of keeping the Ukrainian mob arc around for the second season.

So far the world of Warrior has been much more believable and all the various cogs turning against and with one another feel legit and purposeful, rather than just there to tell a story for the season. Aside from the obvious setting comparison, it feels like Deadwood in that all the characters could continue to exist with one another for seasons to come.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PaybackJack posted:

Part of the problem I had with Banshee is that it really strained credibility in the town, the various groups that lived there, the impersonation of the sheriff, also while the last season sucked I wasn't really a fan of keeping the Ukrainian mob arc around for the second season.

I'm gonna be honest, I sorta felt the opposite; a lot of why I loved Banshee was because it was willing to just go full-on ridiculous. It was just spinning so many plates at any given time that it's kind of hard not to marvel at.

The fourth season felt like a downgrade in ridiculousness and that's a lot of why I hated it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I sorta felt the opposite; a lot of why I loved Banshee was because it was willing to just go full-on ridiculous. It was just spinning so many plates at any given time that it's kind of hard not to marvel at.

The fourth season felt like a downgrade in ridiculousness and that's a lot of why I hated it.

To be fair they kinda got shafted on the 4th season.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

:same:

It's why I put up with the intense garbage that is Into The Badlands.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orv posted:

:same:

It's why I put up with the intense garbage that is Into The Badlands.

How dare you. Pour one out for that show, it gave us some great characters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

How dare you. Pour one out for that show, it gave us some great characters.

Unfortunately even Martin Csokas can't carry a show all by himself. :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orv posted:

Unfortunately even Martin Csokas can't carry a show all by himself. :colbert:

Hey come on, putting Nick Frost in as Sammo Hung was a stroke of genius.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I find that particular character of his, which he's played more than once, kind of grating honestly. It's good casting! It's not casting for me.

E: Everything about ep 5 was great but I was especially fond of the fact that nobodies cover actually stopped bullets, everyone was just a terrible shot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 8, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, just look at the posters the show produced. They're all comic book covers.

Banshee arguably the best adaptation of a comic book that doesn't exist, give or take Utopia.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If you liked Banshee from a comic book perspective then I'd recommend Scalped by Jason Aaron or any of the Ennis/Dillon collabs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, just look at the posters the show produced. They're all comic book covers.

Banshee arguably the best adaptation of a comic book that doesn't exist, give or take Utopia.

Banshee did have a comic book, technically.

https://www.comixology.com/Banshee-Origins/digital-comic/35597

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hurray the tong wars are finally kicking off!

I was half expecting Bill to consider suicide there in the final scene. I wonder if this is his rock bottom or if he can fall farther.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hurray the tong wars are finally kicking off!

I was half expecting Bill to consider suicide there in the final scene. I wonder if this is his rock bottom or if he can fall farther.

He's an Irish drunken gambler, i'm sure there are a few rungs left on his ladder.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Episode was good and slide stabbing owns. I hope the bomb explosion coinciding with sex doesn't mean that mayor's wife is pregnant though because thats gonna be pretty awkward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I really enjoy how they have a very clear difference in philosophy in how they film the fights between the Western and the Asian groups. The Western people don't suddenly have kung fu skills and I'm looking forward to seeing how they choreograph the inevitable fight between them.