Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Qmass posted:

leary basically killed her dad and she doesn't seem stupid or meek. Why do you think she isn't there to gently caress up leary's world ?

Possibly. But then she definitely got overconfident and hosed up by letting Leary know who she was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Binged season one on the weekend and am now caught up with this under-rated series.

Pigasus posted:

I think the well-defined setting and factions help the story out a lot. Also, it seems like there's going to be stronger ties to historical events, which makes this season a little more exciting plot-wise.

Speaking of historical events, I'm learning a lot from the show.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Good ep. That ending was intense. Guessing that was the Chao plan?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hooch Hong is crazy.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Seems like it. A clever plan.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The actor playing Zing is 58 years old :psyduck: He was on the original 21 Jump Street.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Warrior season 2 : Quit beaten your meat Lee

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just caught up. I love this show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Ah Sahm's speech to Leary. :capitalism:

Somehow I don't think that Sophie aiming to get revenge on Leary for her father's death. Penny was right, she is a spoiled brat.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nvm it seems like Chao's plan was to tell Bill that Zing is the swordsman and lay a trap for him.

Based on the preview it seems like Chao wanted Ah Toy to get his baby momma and his daughter to the Sonoma farm or whatever.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Shes gonna pass information about Penny's business to Leary and the Chinese are going to get hosed over by it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/bO9MM5U.mp4

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wish I cared about any of the white characters into his show, but I just don't.

Actually, the Mayor's wife is pretty good, but any time the plot tries to make me care about the police dribble starts to leak out my mouth.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I thought maybe Sophie had some sort of plan but it turns out she's just a petulant child. That's fine I suppose since every other character has these long term schemes going on, there's room for a character that's impetuous.

Next week's fight should be pretty good. I like how every week Li Yong has a scene where he regrets putting Mai Ling in power.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nvm it seems like Chao's plan was to tell Bill that Zing is the swordsman and lay a trap for him.

Which is interesting because it seems like a pretty dumb move for zing to do, unless he was thinking that his boys would just murder bill and family, and get away without anybody knowing it was them. I guess we know Zing is supposed to be ruthless but not necessarily stupid

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This show feels really aimless, just another generic crime show with different factions scheming and dancing around each other and no real driving hook. Doesn't even have the popcorn fun or characterisation of Banshee. You barely feel like you learn more about these characters, they just posture around each other and say the same things.

Which is immensely frustrating as there's SO MUCH POTENTIAL. The setting is amazing, beautifully realised with costuming, sets and shots. The cast is great, the music is rad, the action is solid. The premise and themes of immigration and workers is so relevant. Oh god, it's Black Sails all over again.

Anyway, for as fantastic as 99% of the cast are, Mai Ling feels really miscast. Not a bad actress, but her cutesy little voice and mannerisms make her impossible to see as serious or intimidating in this kind of role. Like you can really see in the scene with Ah Toy this episode because even when she's being acquiescent to Mai Ling, Olivia Cheng has some serious presence and seems like she's the badass in control. (While even outclassing Avasarala from The Expanse for the wildest outfits on TV!)

Glad they're making a lot of use of Hoon Lee lately too. Chao is probably the only character I'm actively rooting for.

mr. unhsib posted:

The actor playing Zing is 58 years old :psyduck: He was on the original 21 Jump Street.
Fully refused to believe this until I googled by the way, jesus christ.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 27, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

VagueRant posted:

Anyway, for as fantastic as 99% of the cast are, Mai Ling feels really miscast. Not a bad actress, but her cutesy little voice and mannerisms make her impossible to see as serious or intimidating in this kind of role. Like you can really see in the scene with Ah Toy this episode because even when she's being acquiescent to Mai Ling, Olivia Cheng has some serious presence and seems like she's the badass in control. (While even outclassing Avasarala from The Expanse for the wildest outfits on TV!)

I'd say that's pretty intentional. Mai Ling hasn't been running her show for very long, whereas Ah Toy has been for many years. Mai Ling is a girl that's coming up from essentially nothing to take over this role. She's got a plan but not the experience or poise to wield her power effectively and in a way that others respect. One thing that the show does well is make the characters all feel quite different. Ah Toy, Mai Ling, and Penelope are all three women trying to run a business but each of them has a different motivation/goal/style of doing it.

I do agree that the show isn't laying too many seeds that as an audience member I can get invested in. Feels like it's written week to week rather than with a long term destination in mind. They definitely need to give Ah Sahm a clear direction since he's kind of the central character and his arc needs to hold up all these other subplots.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is a very oddly paced season, to say the least. We're almost halfway through and I think we've had two real showstopping action scenes (the warehouse fight and the attack on Bill's family). I've no real idea where they're going with at least half of their storylines, and Li Yong silently disapproving of Mai Lin but doing nothing is repetitive as hell.

Sophie's well cast, I like her chemistry with Leary, and I 100% believe she'd be this astonishingly stupid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hong continues to be great.

Great job Chao. All you had to do was take the money and leave. Instead you earned yourself an asswhooping.

Based on the preview, next week looks fantastic.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Don't bring knives to a gunfight.

Lee on the lever action was pretty great. Anyone actually see what zing stabbed li yong with? Were they little daggers or darts or something

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Don't bring knives to a gunfight.

Lee on the lever action was pretty great. Anyone actually see what zing stabbed li yong with? Were they little daggers or darts or something

https://i.imgur.com/kBlUkR1.mp4

Looked like porcelain shards or whatever was on the shelf that got smashed.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hong is absolutely guaranteed to be working for the Hop Wei's opium suppliers to find out why orders stopped coming in, right?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

That fight was way too dark.

While we have a direction for Ah Sahm it's not exactly a clear path and he isn't making any moves that would put him in a position where he'd be able to command the Tong unless his plan was just to manipulate Jr. into doing what he wanted which seems like a bad plan.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The tension with Chao and action spectacle that followed was nice and Banshee-like! The Fung Hui were cartoonishly villainous enough we could happily root for Li, Chao and the cops. Just need a bigger budget so they can give me something like that in the middle of every episode please!

Chao stealing the daughter seemed super hosed up to me though!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Great job Chao. All you had to do was take the money and leave. Instead you earned yourself an asswhooping.

Based on the preview, next week looks fantastic.
To be fair, think if he'd taken the money, Zing would've gone through similar initiation theatrics with the milk drinking and would've been just as suspicious if he just went along with them too easily.

Oh drat, they got Michael Bisping acting now! Hopefully next week's low-key the equivalent of that western ep from s1, basically whatever the opposite of a bottle episode is.

PaybackJack posted:

That fight was way too dark.

While we have a direction for Ah Sahm it's not exactly a clear path and he isn't making any moves that would put him in a position where he'd be able to command the Tong unless his plan was just to manipulate Jr. into doing what he wanted which seems like a bad plan.
I always wonder if a darkly lit fight scene is a budget/time thing, probably gives them a lot more lenience on debris/injury continuity and stuntwork. Still better than Arrow season 1's climactic fight being two dark cloaked guys rolling around on black gravel at night!

Yeah glad we finally get a goal for the protagonist, but it's vague, weakly motivated and he's just coming off like a petulant jerk.

A good poster posted:

Hong is absolutely guaranteed to be working for the Hop Wei's opium suppliers to find out why orders stopped coming in, right?
He makes me uncomfortable in every scene he's in with that smiling manner, I can't even assess the likelihood of betrayal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A good poster posted:

VagueRant posted:

Yeah glad we finally get a goal for the protagonist, but it's vague, weakly motivated and he's just coming off like a petulant jerk.
He makes me uncomfortable in every scene he's in with that smiling manner, I can't even assess the likelihood of betrayal.

Oh, he's totally working for either the opium suppliers or a spy for Father Jun. I'd say his betrayal likelihood is right around 100%.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

another good rear end Hong episode, everything else was cool too I guess.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Wasn't as good as the first season's out of town adventure, but I liked Bisping's cameo although after the fight it was kind of obvious everything from then on the rest of the tournament didn't really matter. The whole story was pretty obvious from the get go so I was kind of hoping we'd see something a little more straight forward with the tournament itself.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hobo Wolverine was my favorite fighter. The remix of the main theme during the tournament montage was :discourse:

Looks like the plot will be moving full speed ahead next episode.

Babe Magnet posted:

another good rear end Hong episode, everything else was cool too I guess.

:agreed: I hope Hong is wearing those boots for the reason of the season.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

greco-roman wrestler dude vs. kung fu guy was my fav. of the fights

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This episode sounds a lot like Bloodsport and I can't wait to watch it when I get home.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Fun episode, but that plan was so loving bad lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last couple episodes have been so loving cool

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if Vega getting her revenge by using people close to her and then dying will be foreshadowing for Ah Sahm :ohdear:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if Vega getting her revenge by using people close to her and then dying will be foreshadowing for Ah Sahm :ohdear:

I've been getting death flag vibes for a while now. Vega even had a sister she died for, so it's not super subtle.

But I've also started to suspect we're getting some sort of thwarted sibling incest plot between Mei Ling and Ah Sahm (the bit where Vega mistakes them for a couple, Mei Ling's speech about the horrible, unforgivable things Ah Sahm inflicted on her, Hong's little joke about loving a sibling), so who even knows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Liked the Bloodsport themes, loved the Mortal Kombat joke.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Father Jun is gone. All hail Young Jun!

That final scene was intense. I guess Samuel will never be the head of a major corporation governor now :v:

e: I was just catching up on all the BTS episode stuff and while I knew that Ah Toy was based on a real person, I had no idea that Nellie was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xx7O0sS0w

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 14, 2020

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's pretty cool! I keep waiting for the moment when Nellie turns out to be a duplicitous a-hole but maybe good things can actually happen.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Inspector 34 posted:

That's pretty cool! I keep waiting for the moment when Nellie turns out to be a duplicitous a-hole but maybe good things can actually happen.

I kind figured she wasn't when the other business partner went to the church and started that plot line. I'd guess that next week she'll realize that Ah Toy is a murderer and be unable to accept that but keep their arrangement going as it's best for the girls. If she does betray her it will be in a way where she probably just takes the actual ownership away from Ah Toy in case Ah Toy is found out for being behind the killings.

Ah Toy was kind of dumb burning her bridges this week so I guess it was a theme.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing Ah Sahm turn on Young Jun.

If they knew going in that this was the end of the series then killing the Mayor, Penny, and Sophie then having it fall on the heads of the Chinese would have been a good send off to those characters. I guess we'll see where they go with the sisters from here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The opening scene was hilarious.

Sophie: can't stop inadvertently making GBS threads on the Chinese

Ah Toy :stonklol:

The preview for the next episode looks insane. I can't wait.

https://i.imgur.com/06gL3Iw.mp4

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This last episode seemed a lot better than most of the season. Manhunt/curfew delivers a status quo change, plenty of characters with clear goals/obstacles, focus on crime or physical threat, and a wonderful lack of high society types talking about trade deals.

Sad to see Ah Toy get basically killed 4 times there (how many hammers to the skull??) and continue to push literally everyone in her life away, but probably a sincere attempt to do what's best for them. Wonder if the bodies of the butchers dressed as police will get addressed.

Still puzzled as to what Mai Ling has on Buckley, thought it'd come up in their carriage talk. (Oh and that Buckley flashback was pretty well done)

And yeah, looks like some budget going into next week!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jacob :( Mai Ling you are ice cold. Glad it blew up in your face so quickly and spectacularly.

That was an insane riot. :tviv: Hats off to the cast and crew.

I can't wait for the series finale next week. That look between Ah Sahm and Leery. poo poo is going to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

That entire lynching scene was a lot to stomach and I was almost ready to stop watching.

That little sister character is the absolute worst!!!!!

Ah Toy and Mai Ling's scene was amazing. I'm so glad to see them actually vulnerable and honest with each other for once.

When you saw the nunchucks, how excited were you to see some domestic terrorists get smacked with them??