Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
did I just see Mark fuckin Dacascos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lamont posted:

:aaaaa:

I'm skipping the trailer but if so yeeeaaah

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

First three episodes are up! Still can't believe its real.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Man, Hong is the best. :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so glad Warrior is back. That opening scene in the first episode also reminded me just how huge and detailed their actual set is.

:homebrew: I am very down for this plot. Secret service agent Mosley is quite a character. "I guess it is that kind of meeting."

Bill was right. That is a good woman you got there Lee. :clint:

Uh, I hope they didn't just write off Penny. I noticed she's not in the opening credits anymore. I can see how that being the end of her storyline, but holy poo poo that would be pretty hosed and disappointing. At least they mentioned that Buckley is still keeping her in the asylum and stealing her husband's money.

10 Beers posted:

Man, Hong is the best. :allears:

:agreed:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Lamont posted:

That handsome devil, what a time to be alive!

The first three have been really strong, it's like they never left the production schedule

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Show still feels like the politics and gang plotlines just go in circles with zero status quo changes, while casually introducing new baddies they're actually willing to kill off.

But I still gotta tune in for the setting, the actors, and that action! I just wish we'd see more consequences. Teasing us with an Ah Sahm vs Li Yong rematch (ep1), come on.

Other thoughts:
- Buckley is an interesting character but all of his scenes are the worst parts of the show now - except for that one crowd montage, that was actually great.
- Trying to figure out if Ah Sahm's very open collar is just a new costuming decision to add some variation, or him intentionally showing off the vest/tanktop to invoke the mural, or by it being slashed open in that one fight and he just stuck with it.
- Absolutely cheering when the farmgirls stabbed the poo poo out of that guy (ep3). There better be hell to pay.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Uh, I hope they didn't just write off Penny. I noticed she's not in the opening credits anymore. I can see how that being the end of her storyline, but holy poo poo that would be pretty hosed and disappointing. At least they mentioned that Buckley is still keeping her in the asylum and stealing her husband's money.
I saw a random comment that it was a scheduling conflict but can find no source, looks like she's just off the show. I don't miss the character at all to be honest, and that dark ending makes sense for the time to me. Even if it is REALLY nasty.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 2, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly I feel like the dullness of Penny's storylines now lands on Buckley. Just.. not digging it yet.

Surprisingly I'm really enjoying the "Mai Ling hangs with white ladies" materials. Dianne Doan's never been my favorite member of the ensemble but she's so, so good here.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

VagueRant posted:

Show still feels like the politics and gang plotlines just go in circles with zero status quo changes, while casually introducing new baddies they're actually willing to kill off.

But I still gotta tune in for the setting, the actors, and that action! I just wish we'd see more consequences. Teasing us with an Ah Sahm vs Li Yong rematch (ep1), come on.

Other thoughts:
- Buckley is an interesting character but all of his scenes are the worst parts of the show now - except for that one crowd montage, that was actually great.
- Trying to figure out if Ah Sahm's very open collar is just a new costuming decision to add some variation, or him intentionally showing off the vest/tanktop to invoke the mural, or by it being slashed open in that one fight and he just stuck with it.
- Absolutely cheering when the farmgirls stabbed the poo poo out of that guy (ep3). There better be hell to pay.

I saw a random comment that it was a scheduling conflict but can find no source, looks like she's just off the show. I don't miss the character at all to be honest, and that dark ending makes sense for the time to me. Even if it is REALLY nasty.

Yeah, I liked the character herself but by the end of season two, there was really nothing for her to do besides get treated badly by everyone she’s met. Her place in the storyline (sympathetic blonde woman) seems to be kept up by Ah Toy’s GF and Mei King’s new BFF (which is probably going to backfire on her horribly).

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Did they get a new fight choreographer? They seem, I don’t know, jankier/slower than previous seasons so far. But that could also be because we haven’t seen a real good one on one fight yet.

It’s so cool we got this final season though. This show deserves to write its own ending.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is it confirmed to be the last season or is it an assumption based it being too far along to profitably shelve by new leadership?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it confirmed to be the last season

No, and tbh I'm under the impression (from some interview from who knows where) that this isn't intended to be the final season.

Edit: Yeah, I did some googling and my understanding is that it ends on a set up for a fourth season.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 3, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would be shocked if it gets a fourth season, but it would be a very pleasant surprise for sure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great to have a cool fights show airing again. I love the cool fights.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Been enjoying this show, its great, but I have to ask: Is it written into the contract of every actor on a Cinemax show that they must at some point get their kit off?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's called Skinemax for a reason

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"It's a dead end. We can't get out."
"Neither can they."
"Wait, what?"

I can't wait for Ah Toy, Mai Ling and Young Jun to get their revenge.

e: I wonder if Kong Pak is on the level or if he's going to try and make a move, or push for Li Yong to do it, after Mai Ling's failure and losing a ton of their money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 7, 2023

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Jonathan Tropper just understands television. Every episode needs a double cross, some sick monologues, a badass fight and some nudity/plowing. Banshee was perfect with the method and he turned the final season of the bad show 'See' in to something watchable, an incredible feat.

I'm so happy to have this show back. Ending S2 with a big fuckoff sprawling fight, waiting through the cancellation and just starting S3 right up again with a huge streetfight is masterpiece stuff. Ah Toy is gonna go nuts on some motherfucks soon and I am here for it. I think Kong Pak will absolutely make some sort of move with Mai Ling in white people strife.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 8, 2023

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ah Toy vs Evil Business Guy swordfight foreshadowing?

Curious what'll happen with the Tong leadership if Young Jun is in prison.

Iffy on the progression of the Ah Sahm and Printer Girl romance.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I don't get why Nellie and Ah Toy let the rear end in a top hat walk away after that, that felt in character for Nellie, but Ah Toy not decapitating the fucker without a second thought was disappointing

loving hell I love this show so much

I've always had a soft spot for Hoon Lee and it's been awesome seeing him in a regular role on this show

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

For those interested I just found out that this season after each episode there's a podcast by Lisa Ling and Hoon Lee about that episode. Various guests, etc. I liked it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Toadsmash posted:

I don't get why Nellie and Ah Toy let the rear end in a top hat walk away after that, that felt in character for Nellie, but Ah Toy not decapitating the fucker without a second thought was disappointing

loving hell I love this show so much

I've always had a soft spot for Hoon Lee and it's been awesome seeing him in a regular role on this show

I hope you have also seen Banshee. Same showrunner/creator, Jonathan Tropper, and Hoon Lee is great in it too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hoon Lee is in one of Tropper's seasons of See as well. Olivia Cheng's in both.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I hope you have also seen Banshee. Same showrunner/creator, Jonathan Tropper, and Hoon Lee is great in it too.

It's been recommended to me more than once in the context of this show since I've been geeking out about it. Polygon did a great feature on Andrew Koji that got me interested in this show in the first place. I'm caught up on this show. Maybe I'll check out Banshee after I watch the new season of The Witcher.

That podcast definitely sounds like it'd be plenty of fun.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love how Tropper's fix for 'See' was "gently caress it, all my Warrior/Banshee friends come along and ham this poo poo up". And it worked. The genius.

Fully anticipating some dope-rear end 'Rob Roy' swordfight with Ah Toy and Evil Business Man. Tropper doesn't do red herrings.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Printing lady is rad

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The stunt coordinator for Banshee is different but it shares more than a few stylistic similarities with Warrior - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94jYxr9l1As

Warrior's coordinator is Brett Chan, the same dude who had to work on Iron Fist. Amazing what happens when you give these guys actual time, money, and respect to create loving rad fight scenes.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I once heard that to chinese (various) speakers, English speakers sound like ducks.

"gently caress you, Ghengis oval office." Is the best line of the show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

VagueRant posted:

Curious what'll happen with the Tong leadership if Young Jun is in prison.

Pretty sure Ah Sahm is gonna take over and run it a lot better. Fingers crossed for a team up with Li Yong to get their leaders back in a jailbreak.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Overall good episode.

My biggest gripe is that if they succeeded in breaking out Young Jun, it's not like the police wouldn't know where he would be hiding out. Also, super duper convenient that Father Jun was interred at the camp for weeks and miraculously found Young Jun.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'll forgive the coincidence just because I was glad to see him back.

Not in a hurry to check out See from what I've seen, but man, Hoon Lee is so good. When watching Warrior, I always forget he was Job in Banshee. Both such distinctive well-drawn characters, gently caress.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

first episode started promising but I barely got through the 2nd and haven't touched the 3rd episode since they all came out. I dunno man, this poo poo is just boring isn't it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s too many white people storylines but that was always the case with this show, seems pretty much the same to me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bill :unsmith: Ah Toy :smith:

I wonder how Buckley is going to try and spin it that his crackdowns lead to having both gang leaders arrested to them being freed in a matter of days.

e: I am a little disappointed in how quickly they both got out. I think it would've been better to let them sit for another episode and have some other players make their moves.

VagueRant posted:

I'll forgive the coincidence just because I was glad to see him back.

:same: Their interactions were very good.

Qmass posted:

first episode started promising but I barely got through the 2nd and haven't touched the 3rd episode since they all came out. I dunno man, this poo poo is just boring isn't it?

Not at all. Show hasn't missed a beat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 14, 2023

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I’m hype the show is back! They’ve had some great fight scenes and storylines.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s too many white people storylines but that was always the case with this show, seems pretty much the same to me

Yeah, it feels like half of them are there so the Irish subplots can inevitably team up with leads in order to defeat Buckley / Mai Ling(?) but there's at least one too many. IMO if that's the show's endgame then the show really only needs to keep one of the cop (/ex-cop) husband and wife pairs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Yeah, it feels like half of them are there so the Irish subplots can inevitably team up with leads in order to defeat Buckley / Mai Ling(?) but there's at least one too many. IMO if that's the show's endgame then the show really only needs to keep one of the cop (/ex-cop) husband and wife pairs.

I think it's a credit to the show that each of the the main characters has a fleshed out group of side characters; replete with their own antagonists and allies. Some of this stories could use more/less time, and some of them I wish had been brought into the show in a larger role earlier, but not just forcing the secondary main characters to just exist off screen in limbo is a feature of this show I enjoy. I'm a world building guy though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm not really sure which of the duck storyline you'd cut. Bill is maybe the most expendable but the actor is great and nice to see a character that can cross the battle lines like Chao does for the tongs.

You can't get rid of Buckley since the political throughline is at the core of the story. You can't do a show about the Chinese of this time and not go into the Chinese Exclusion act, you'd be white washing a truly heinous legislation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely would've cut Lee's storyline before Penny. Though maybe he will die next episode :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Ep.6 has been the wild west bottle episode in the last 2 seasons?