Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey, I'm Firstborn, and I want to run a game of Mothership set adjacent to the Aliens universe this Thurs, 4/11, 5 PM CST-US over Discord. It will be a one shot that can probably be extended to two games if everyone is agreeable to take place on the following Thursday, 4/18. If you want more, there will be two more possible stories.

FAQ
What is Mothership?
Mothership is a pnp RPG by Tuesday Knight Games. It is available for "pay what you want" at DriveThru RPG here. You can get the rules for free. The designers want you to get the rules for free. It is a sci-fi horror game that draws inspiration from Aliens, Event Horizon, Pitch Black, The Thing...

What is the system like?
It's a "roll under" system similar to games like Call of Cthulhu. Pretty easy to understand. You have attributes and saving throws that are all on a 1-100 (average 30) scale. You get bonus/malus based on difficulty and tools and then roll a hundred sided die trying to roll under a target number. Doubles (11-22-33...) are criticals. Pretty quick to make a character and get started.

Do I have to know anything about Aliens?
No. It's probably better the less you know. I haven't read the Colonial Marines Technical Manual front-to-back and neither should you. The game mostly takes place in the Aliens universe because Mothership tries real hard to file off the serial numbers, and they tend to replace it with things of a more supernatural bent. I prefer slightly harder sci-fi. The Aliens universe gives us the opportunity for CRT monitors, grungy aesthetic, and players that can view their space jobs with the expertise of a trucker or hapless soldier instead of Star Trek-like scientific expertise.

Do I need to be a sci-fi nerd? I don't know what a cybernetic diagnostic dohicker is...
No. Everything can be explained in simple terms. We don't need to google what the effects of decompression is or what would happen if we destroyed this class 1 jump drive will do. The outcomes will be determined for drama, mostly.

I will be using a voice changer to play your ship's A.I., mood music, sound effects something like radio theatre with an ambient mixer and a soundboard. I have form fillable PDFs for character sheets to be shared, and the sheet itself tells you how to make your character. If you prefer I pre-generate something for you, I will. Character generation is done on the discord. I'd recommend 2 characters, as Mothership characters have a way of dying. With the crunchy bits out of the way, let's get to what the actual session will be concerning.

I will be running a hack of Dead Planet, the first supplement for Mothership. Dead Planet is broken up into three parts. The first one will be titled Desolate Shell, an Aliens hack on The Screaming on the Alexis.

The year is 2124. Your characters will be teamsters aboard the USCSS Montague. A starfreighter owned by the Weyland-Yutani corporation. One of the newer commercial hauler vessels equipped with the Conrad A.I. and a Jump Drive to get into position and start towing with more efficacy. The crew of the Montague can consist of space truckers, former or enlisted Colonial Marines as a security detail after recent retaliation against the company, and synthetic androids.

The USCSS Montague falls out of hyperspace much earlier than is to expected, apparently having an issue with this new jump drive. They are in the orbit of a strange planet with a tidelocked moon and a vast graveyard of orbiting derelict craft. A message is received from the corporation. Weyland-Yutani lost contact with one of the nearby drifting ships, the Alexis, some time ago and aims to take advantage of this coincidence. It was a research vessel with a significant price attached to it and it's finding on-board. The Alexis is running on a low-power cycle, engines presently offline. The ship's atmosphere is fine, and there appears to be signs of life. You may even find the necessary components to repair your jump drive. Retrieve it.

Looking for between 3 and 4 players. I thought I would ask here before opening it up to other LFG spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU