Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_vYNmntZVQ

Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic is a city building/econ game where you manage a small Eastern European Communist Republic. It has a fittingly terrible and confusing UI with poor translation, but the actual game is a pretty interesting mix of Tropico sans the political element with a much more detailed, almost factorio-like complex economy. As you are managing a planned economy, you have to do basically everything, from scheduling buses to drop workers off at individual work places to distributing food to your stores. Once you get passed the difficulty of placing a simple road, its pretty good. I'm making this thread to post about it.

heres the steam blurb things since i can't think of anything else to include in the op

quote:

ABOUT THIS GAME

Manage all aspects of your own republic with planned economy, including mining resources, manufacturing goods, construction, investments, and citizens too.

Create your own industrial complexes with loading and unloading stations, storage, warehouses, and factories.

Build the infrastructure and manage its traffic, including roads, railways, sidewalks, conveyors, wiring, and pipelines. Wisely place and connect factories, houses and warehouses, and make the most efficient connections.

Plan and build the living areas with everything your citizens may need to live their happy life, such as playgrounds, cinema s, taverns, and shops.

Send your citizens to the mine to get coal, iron and other natural resources; or send them to the fields to pick up the crops; or take them to factories to produce manufactured goods.

Sell and purchase resources and goods from western countries or other soviet countries to get dollars or rubles and buy the products or resources you need ... or invest in new infrastructure or buildings.

Enjoy authentic soviet buildings and vehicles, as well as realistic landscapes of the 60's to the 90's.

Play the way you want! You can focus on getting natural resources or products and trade them for money; or you can build a self-sufficient republic; or you can just use the easy sandbox mode with unlimited money/resources and just enjoy building something live.

Economic simulation. Prices of resources on the global market are changing over time as you play –one day you can sell or purchase steel for a $100 per ton, but in a few months the cost can rise to $200 or decrease to $50. The price of everything is connected to the cost of work and resources.

Increasing difficulty.As prices change, the demands of the citizens also change, and you will need more resources to keep them happy and force them to work.

I'd recommend watching a few lets plays or something to get a handle of how things work at first, as it can be quite confusing.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How big a city can you build, anyways?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

A whole country

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

the map is massive, I'm not sure how many people and stuff the game could support but I imagine a ton.

this is my first city after about 8 hours of play, but this is only a very small fraction of the map and I've been going quite slowly as I'm mostly just learning the game.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm so lost

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXZed5ZhZ9o

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Thanks for this thread!

The game is still in early access so there's a good handful of QOL features missing so far, but most noticeably there's no wiki page, tutorials or an online community yet.

It doesn't help that Googling the game gets you 95% hits on historical documents on the Soviet Union and the rest is hour long Let's Plays.

So, comrades, let us pool our resources in this thread so we can all seize the chains of production.

I recommend starting with unlimited money to begin with and just mess about with buildings and getting a feel for what interacts with what and how landscaping (doesn't) work. Placement of buildings and roads can be a bit tricky and some buildings require a ton of space so you'll want to plan ahead a little bit wrt setting up your cities and production sites.

E: I'm posting from public transportation and as I got off the bus to take the light rail to work I passed a street musician playing Katyusha on the accordion. Fitting.

Government Handjob fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 9, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you make tanks to run over dissidents. This is extremely important to me

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Hopefully in the future you'll be able to set off a nuclear holocaust by attacking the capitalist pig-dog NATO countries you border, but for now the best you can do is to not build hospitals or fire departments and hope bad luck kills your people.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You can't even have a Chernobyl?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rip