Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Hey goons, it's become pretty apparent that a lot of us are in the general Portland area. What does this mean!?

(Pictured - Average Citizen of Portland)

- We need to shoot with each other. I'm terribly out of practice and not really able to traipse off into the woods alone. Let's try to buddy up and get some rounds downrange!

- We need to have a Spring/Summer Shoot where either Duccy comes to us or we go to her. The lady has an armoury James Bond would covet. There are a lot of goons that are a few hours out from Portland that we could include in a big hootenanny. The Nashville 11' goon shoot had about nine people. I think we can beat that.

So, I'm going to save the second post for a list of people in the area. I will not post anyone until they give me the go ahead. Let's do this!

Range Info -

(Comfy Sponk) - For places to shoot, the Wolf creek range is off logging roads but is fairly accessible. Wouldn't go there during any possibility of snow below 1000'. Has four shooting lanes that can accommodate 4-8 shooters. 2 short range and 2 mixed short/"long" range. The longer portions go out to about 80 yards.

Location is west off hwy 26 past Timber junction.
https://goo.gl/maps/4zrR6GremmQ2

East side there is one that I think may still be active, I haven't been out there in a few years, but it's just off HWY 224 on the other side of Estacada.

https://goo.gl/maps/5DtQkoXdQks

Also off 224 is https://goo.gl/maps/izSbUjYSMqE2 better to get to via smaller car if I recall correctly. However, the road was closed after the Memaloose trail fire a few years ago.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

(Reserved for Portland Goons)

Captain Log - Portland/Gresham Area
Action-Bastard - Portland
Javid - Southern Oregon
Comfy Sponk - Portland West Side
Android Apocalypse - Portland East Side
Duccy - Southern Oregon, Ashland/Medford Area
i like turtles - Richland, WA
Gorgonzola Cheese - Vancouver/Hillsboro
Boxen - Beaverton
therobit - Clackamas
oldschoolDOS - SE Portland
CainFortea - Portland

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 16, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I'm in southern oregon but up that way A Lot

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I have a shitload of time off this month, driving up to Portland is a bitch sometimes but I'll do it for goons and guns

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I will be spending the first half of May up there, so cannot budget in an unrelated trip so soon before that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

First things first, we need to establish a good place that isn't up a loving mountain or anything. Action, do you want to go check out some spots in a week or two?

(With my braces I'm surprisingly mobile, but going up steps or a steep incline is loving hard)

Would you guys like me to add you and your general area to the OP?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I feel like if someone posts their location ITT they're ok with it being in the OP or they just wouldn't post

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Just making sure. Added you two.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

West side goon here.

For places to shoot, the Wolf creek range is off logging roads but is fairly accessible. Wouldn't go there during any possibility of snow below 1000'. Has four shooting lanes that can accommodate 4-8 shooters. 2 short range and 2 mixed short/"long" range. The longer portions go out to about 80 yards.

East side there is one that I think may still be active, I haven't been out there in a few years, but it's just off HWY 224 on the other side of Estacada.

Also off 224 is https://goo.gl/maps/izSbUjYSMqE2 better to get to via smaller car if I recall correctly. However, the road was closed after the Memaloose trail fire a few years ago.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Comfy sponk posted:

West side goon here.

For places to shoot, the Wolf creek range is off logging roads but is fairly accessible. Wouldn't go there during any possibility of snow below 1000'. Has four shooting lanes that can accommodate 4-8 shooters. 2 short range and 2 mixed short/"long" range. The longer portions go out to about 80 yards.

Added to the OP!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Southern OR has one of the nicest shooting facilities on the west coast. Just sayin'

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Javid posted:

Southern OR has one of the nicest shooting facilities on the west coast. Just sayin'

Just because Thunder ranch is there.. Geeze man. Ever had the opportunity to go to Albany Rifle Pistol club? they have a really nice action shooting facility.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I still haven't shot since being in Portland thanks to all the medical bullshit. I need to get back on that loving horse.

Even pre-Portland, my rifle experience is extremely limited. Now I have a 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Grendel ARs to break in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The only ranges in northern OR that I've been to are douglas ridge and eagle creek, which were both pretty excellent.

Comfy sponk posted:

Just because Thunder ranch is there.. Geeze man. Ever had the opportunity to go to Albany Rifle Pistol club? they have a really nice action shooting facility.

I've never heard of thunder ranch, we just have a really chill public range down here, iirc it's like $7 for day use and has a bazillionty different options for how far you want to shoot

e: google says that place is like 3-4 hours away from here, I guess I should've specified "the parts of southern oregon people actually live in"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comfy sponk posted:

There is a backway up those mountains. I've done it in a kia spectra. I do NOT recommend people do it in smaller cars unless you're absolutely desperate for a rock quarry to shoot stupid poo poo in that you can't do at ranges.

(how the hell do you make those little links to places?)

Use navigation to get to 29567-29599 S Hillockburn Rd, Estacada, OR 97023 and you want to follow NF-45 up and over the first foothill and you'll end up in the quarries. I even found one I like better than the linked one cause i've never seen another human being there.

There's also Brown's Camp on the west side. I've never been there but I know people who have. They say it's aight.

I am a member of Tri-County gun range, and can bring guests. It's the nicest range i've ever been to. Downside is we can't just shoot whatever random poo poo we want. It's basically got to be targets on stands at shooting positions. It does have a steel range for certain calibers though, which is really fun.

Edit: I should clarify, if I bring guests only one person can be shooting at a time, as I have to be watching the shooter and be within arm's reach.

Edit MkII The Editing: 46720-44740 OR-224, Estacada, OR 97023 is another quary pit. It's directly off HWY224. Be advised the last time I shot there I had to tackle my then girlfriend to the ground because the 2 drunk rednecks magdumping decided to magdump into the level we were standing on and I got a refresher on what bullet snap sounds like.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 10, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

'Sup, goons. East-side Portlander here.

North Fork Wolf Creek Road is my go-to place. I go shooting there a lot. The trick is getting there early as there are 4 shooting lanes & everybody covets spot #4 (the long-range one).

Brown's Camp is ok but gets crowded. The gamut of shooters varies from experienced shooters to newbies.

Not far from there is Salmonberry but it's not as big.

I'm part of the Liberal Gun Club chapter here in Oregon & there's a shoot going on at the English Pit up in Vancouver, WA. Will give a range report on that spot.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

CainFortea posted:

There is a backway up those mountains. I've done it in a kia spectra. I do NOT recommend people do it in smaller cars unless you're absolutely desperate for a rock quarry to shoot stupid poo poo in that you can't do at ranges.

(how the hell do you make those little links to places?)

Use navigation to get to 29567-29599 S Hillockburn Rd, Estacada, OR 97023 and you want to follow NF-45 up and over the first foothill and you'll end up in the quarries. I even found one I like better than the linked one cause i've never seen another human being there.

There's also Brown's Camp on the west side. I've never been there but I know people who have. They say it's aight.

I am a member of Tri-County gun range, and can bring guests. It's the nicest range i've ever been to. Downside is we can't just shoot whatever random poo poo we want. It's basically got to be targets on stands at shooting positions. It does have a steel range for certain calibers though, which is really fun.

Edit: I should clarify, if I bring guests only one person can be shooting at a time, as I have to be watching the shooter and be within arm's reach.

Edit MkII The Editing: 46720-44740 OR-224, Estacada, OR 97023 is another quary pit. It's directly off HWY224. Be advised the last time I shot there I had to tackle my then girlfriend to the ground because the 2 drunk rednecks magdumping decided to magdump into the level we were standing on and I got a refresher on what bullet snap sounds like.

I make the map links by dropping a pin and using the share location link.

Also, the wait is over for me to get my Tri-county membership back after a six year hiatus. Also at tri county is action bays if you want to do holster work/uspsa/ipsc stuff. Have to get certified before I can do that.

I stopped going to brown's camp after a bunch of random people not paying attention to the direction that the muzzle of the loving LOADED GUN was pointing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://goo.gl/maps/co39KP3jLGn

Aha, thank you. That was weirdly hard to find.

Yea, I need to get action certed. I don't really have any action guns though so i'm waiting on that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

If any of you Vancouver folk would like to be added to the Portland Adjacent goon list just let me know. It would be great to get to shoot poo poo together sometime in the near future!

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

*me and my boyfriend when we first started dating*

him: so you were married twice before?

me: yes

him: any kids?

me: no they were both adults

Iím in Southern Oregon, some of you have my actual address because I have sent you stuff (along with my real name) so no issue here. Ashland proper, but I shoot in the general Medford area, and pretty much all of Jackson County. There are several BLM spots around here, given we arenít population-dense (I think the total population here is around 88,000ish for the county).

I have around 25 firearms that I can comfortably lug around. 3 steel targets and stands (torso shape, 2 x 10Ē plates). Probably going to invest in a few more coming up soon. There are 3 ranges near me, closest being a 7 minute drive away (Ashland Gun and Archery Club), then to the north is the Jackson County range which only goes to 200 yards, AGAC goes out to 400, with 600 yard option in select days of the month. The Jackson County one I tend to steer away from because like the name implies, its owned and operated by the County and they are strict about enforcing gun laws. Got a homemade suppressor on there? Show your stamp or literally have the cops come and pick you up. AGAC doesnít care if you have suppressors, SBRs, shouldering your pistol brace, since its a private club.

There are a couple spots of BLM land that only a few people know about, but it can get out to 1200 yards with relative ease before trees start to get in your way. Most shooters donít go here because the roads to get there are private, but the owners allow people to use them as long as you arenít being an rear end in a top hat (going on their property, littering, driving fast).

I used to be in PDX every week but its been a while since Iíve gone there (6 months ish). I can take a trip up there maybe end of this month or certain weekends in May/June. My call schedule is being overfilled because my punk rear end hospital wonít hire more nurses or surgeons. Just had a surgeon leave and the other two donít want to hire a replacement because its more money for them, but then they bitch and moan about all the extra call and workload

Anyhoo: heres my list of firearms available

-Sig Sauer 1911 GSR .45ACP
-Sig Sauer 1911 Emperor Scorpion .45ACP
-Sig Sauer P220 Stainless Elite .45ACP
-Sig Sauer P220 SAO Legion .45ACP
-Sig Sauer P226 SAO Legion 9mm
-Sig Sauer P226 DA/SA Legion RX 9mm
-Sig Sauer P238 SAO Legion .380Auto
-Sig Sauer P226 German 9mm (nice trigger job on it, older)
-Sig Sauer P938 SAS SAO 9mm
-Sig Sauer P238 Equinox SAO .380Auto
-Sig Sauer P320 X-Five Full Size 9mm
-Sig Sauer P320 M17 9mm
-Sig Sauer P320 Carry 9mm
-Sig Sauer P226 Equinox .40S&W
-Sig Sauer MPX Carbine (3 different configurations) - 9mm
-Sig Sauer MCX Virtus (5.56 and 300blk configurations)
-Sig Sauer MCX Rattler .300BLK
-Sig Sauer SSG 3000 .308
-HK MR556A1 5.56
-HK P2000 9mm
-HK Mk23 .45ACP
-HK HK45 .45ACP
-HK USP full size 9mm
-HK VP9 subcompact
-Smith and Wesson 629 Competitor .44mag
-Smith and Wesson 500 - 500S&W
-Smith and Wesson 929 PC 9mm
-Smith and Wesson 629 Stealth Hunter .44mag
-Smith and Wesson 686 5Ē .357mag
-Smith and Wesson 686 Competitor Weighted .357mag
-Smith and Wesson 686 3Ē .357mag
-Smith and Wesson 686 Competitor 2-Tone .357mag
-MPA 6.5BA 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Action Rifle
-Henry Big Boy .357magnum lever action
-Ruger 10/22 Tactical
-Ruger 10/22 Standard w/ Magpul stock
-Benelli M4 shotgun
-Mossberg 590 shotgun
-M1 Garand 30-06
-CZ Evo Scorpion Carbine or Micro K 9mm
-CZ P-09 Tactical
-Savage Axis .308 w/Accutrigger

woops make that 40 firearms available. Just let me know what you want to use and ill gladly bring it out.

I also have a plethora of optics available, some high end Vortexs, a buncha red dots, Sig Sauers, pistol red dots, a couple of trijicons laying around.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That is a lot of gats. If things go well financially for me I may be picking up a HK416 upper, so I'd love to try out that MR556A1.

I am also amicable to heading down to Southern Oregon for a shoot. I've only done 100m stuff in the Portland area & I'm curious to try out longer-range stuff.

In terms of what i have, I got an AR, an AK, a Glock 17, a Winchester 94AE in 30-30, a .22lr revolver & a Ruger Mk3. I do have 4 steel targets & PVC target stands.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Duccy posted:

I’m in Southern Oregon, some of you have my actual address because I have sent you stuff (along with my real name) so no issue here. Ashland proper, but I shoot in the general Medford area, and pretty much all of Jackson County. There are several BLM spots around here, given we aren’t population-dense (I think the total population here is around 88,000ish for the county).

I have around 25 firearms that I can comfortably lug around. 3 steel targets and stands (torso shape, 2 x 10” plates). Probably going to invest in a few more coming up soon. There are 3 ranges near me, closest being a 7 minute drive away (Ashland Gun and Archery Club), then to the north is the Jackson County range which only goes to 200 yards, AGAC goes out to 400, with 600 yard option in select days of the month. The Jackson County one I tend to steer away from because like the name implies, its owned and operated by the County and they are strict about enforcing gun laws. Got a homemade suppressor on there? Show your stamp or literally have the cops come and pick you up. AGAC doesn’t care if you have suppressors, SBRs, shouldering your pistol brace, since its a private club.

There are a couple spots of BLM land that only a few people know about, but it can get out to 1200 yards with relative ease before trees start to get in your way. Most shooters don’t go here because the roads to get there are private, but the owners allow people to use them as long as you aren’t being an rear end in a top hat (going on their property, littering, driving fast).

Ahahaha I didn't realize you were that close. I'm up here in Rogue River; I don't mess with the ranges down that way though, I'm ~20 minutes from JCSA in Merlin which is IMO an amazing range, unless you specifically need to shoot further than 600 yards or at your own steel rather than paper.

They have nominal rules about steel ammo but don't bother you about it, and the ground is always littered with steel cases; if they actually cared they'd do something about it. The only thing they're annoying about is pistols on the rifle range and vice versa, but if you need to do something specific (like I'll want to chrono the same 9mm/.357 through both a pistol and a carbine without tearing down and moving across the facility) and ask ahead of time they're generally cool about it. I'm not aware of any rules like drawing from a holster or whatever. It's pretty chill, don't be a dick and they'll leave you alone. You have to ask ahead for access to the target lines past... 200 I think? Maybe 300.

Anyway, I doubt we're all going to actually come down here when everyone (else) is up in Portland.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I dunno, kind of hard to find 1200 yard ranges to shoot long guns at.

Which brings me to my only currently interesting gun, a 6.5 Creedmoor Remington PCR.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

Which brings me to my only currently interesting gun, a 6.5 Creedmoor Remington PCR.

We need to go shoot my Grendel AR.

Duccy, you also need to open your own range. That list of guns makes me drool.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

That is a lot of gats. If things go well financially for me I may be picking up a HK416 upper, so I'd love to try out that MR556A1.

I am also amicable to heading down to Southern Oregon for a shoot. I've only done 100m stuff in the Portland area & I'm curious to try out longer-range stuff.

In terms of what i have, I got an AR, an AK, a Glock 17, a Winchester 94AE in 30-30, a .22lr revolver & a Ruger Mk3. I do have 4 steel targets & PVC target stands.

Pricey? Yes. But to me worth every penny. Plus its an HK.

Captain Log posted:

We need to go shoot my Grendel AR.

Duccy, you also need to open your own range. That list of guns makes me drool.

In negotiations. I can stretch about 120 yards from fence to fence!

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The closest to even that is Douglas Ridge out Estacada way. they had(have) a 1000m range. You can see the target lane markers from the highway

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Can confirm DRRC is a great facility.

in that little cavity in the berm there are two 12" gongs that were hilariously fun to *tink tink* on with a .22 from ~150 yards.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oh I also apparently have the only good Rough Rider.

Edit: My ex belonged to DRRC. It was okay, I didn't have any problems there. But they were fairly spendy for what they offered. Like my dues at Tri-County are half as much and I have like 5 more ranges available to me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah I got in free with the Appleseed ticket so my opinion is colored accordingly.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I need to get back down to OR to shoot.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

Hey rogue valley friend!

Agac is nice because they setup their own steel at 100/200/240/340. If youíre terrible and shoot one down on accident they usually fix it within a few days if not the same day. Since its a membership club (85/yr), its closed off but since Iím a major donator I can bring whoever I want in. Basic safety rules apply, dont touch your goddamn firearm while someone is downrange and weíre all happy.

Or just blm land off of Dead Indian Rd heading to Klamath. Thats where I go once a month to reallllllly practice long range. I can hit 1000 maybe half the time. I have LED bars that attach to my steel so it lights up if you hit it.

Agac also lets you shoot whatever you want as long as it isnt explosive or armor piercing since the metal bullet collectors are expensive. Shoot steel all day along, if youíre shooting steel on steel make sure the target is 200+.

If Iím not available my boyfriend is 100% willing to take people out and try out guns if its like a small group. But a full on goon meet Iíll be there! We can bbq or hang out at my house afterwards, I have plenty of nerd stuff for people to play with. Or if its reloading, you can check out the massive supply I stuck in my s/oís closet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I think if we have a big oleí goon shoot, we should probably vote on southern Oregon or Portland. Or we could just do it twice.

But I also think itt would be cool if we could buddy up and just get some practice with friends. Iím rusty and paranoid about how Iíll shoot and would like a second set of eyes helping me do well. I also have less than 500 Roy da of rifle experience.

Because of being broke for another week or two, Iím probably out until then. Also, itís still a touch chilly for me. But maybe toward the end of the month we could have a little get together?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I vote early May because that's when I'll be in portland.

If it's gonna be down here then I vote anytime other than early May. :v

Duccy posted:

Hey rogue valley friend!

I have a handful of scattered mediocre BLM land spots on tap, but honestly I just go to JCSA for everything. We're spoiled up here.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

If it's not in April it will need to be on a Sunday for me. I wouldn't mind showing you a good time Log 😇

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I vote for 2nd weekend of May. My weekends are full until then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

2nd weekend of May works good for me too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

If it's not in April it will need to be on a Sunday for me. I wouldn't mind showing you a good time Log 😇

As you all know, my schedule is open but our family shares one car. It's hard for me to drive really long distances but not impossible. My only thing is mornings are extremely rough on me. It takes a few hours for my legs to loosen up. I think you all will be surprised by how able bodied the braces make me.

Second week in May now has a thumbtack in it for a big shoot.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I may be booked that weekend. TBD.

Would anyone object to me bringing a couple new shooters? My younger (adult) brother has never gotten to shoot a real gun and we've been talking about it for a while, and we have a mutual friend in the same boat.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I love new shooters personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

I love new shooters personally.

Same here. While I'm rusty as gently caress, I started shooting at seven years old and considered it one of the more valuable experiences of my youth. I like to pay that forward when I can.

One time I had a German stay with me and my buddy for a few seasons through a work program. He was very anti-gun. We took him to the gun range, and he was grinning for like a week. After putting a mag through my G19 he said, "Alright, I admit, that was loving cool."

He has a picture on his desk in Germany of him putting lead downrange with it.

«13 »