Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone have a range around Portland (preferably) that is open, outdoors, with covered shooting spots and ideally pre-measured distances to at least 100 yards?

I'd like to try out my new rifle/scope combo

I think English Pit is the only non-member range that can fit your needs, but i'm not sure if they're still open and it's in washington and i'm unsure how bringing your rifle there works with all their bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll give them a call tomorrow and then if that won't work I'll have to start digging for other options or roughing it on BLM land.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm friends with one of the board members of the Molalla Rifle club & their range may suit your needs. Trick it it's out in Molalla & I'd have to ask him to schedule a time for all of us to go.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The English Pit in Vancouver but it costs like 20 bucks a head after taxes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Iíve got such an unbelievable itch to go shooting, but until the Roma calms down Iíll have to sit out. Otherwise Iíd throw three ARs, a bunch of optics, and ammo at you folks for help getting them set up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm friends with one of the board members of the Molalla Rifle club & their range may suit your needs. Trick it it's out in Molalla & I'd have to ask him to schedule a time for all of us to go.

Is membership open for this club? I've never run across it before in my searches.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looks like that area is a 35 min drive for me. My PMs are open if you're up for scheduling something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

therobit posted:

Is membership open for this club? I've never run across it before in my searches.

Maybe? The time I went shooting with my friend there he said me & my other buddies were his guests so it was cool for us to be there.

I should be careful in overpromising the area as a viable shoot spot until I talk to my friend about it. That said, if that shooting club has open membership enrolment y'all should hit it up.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

They have a website:

https://molallarifleclub.com/members/

Requires an NRA membership but I think someone said its easy to fake that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ugh. I don't think my wife would have a problem with the range fee but I think she would rightly object to giving the NRA money.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I can double check if Molalla Rifle Club requires an active NRA membership.

IIRC my friends that joined the Tri-County Gun Club signed up for the NRA with the wrong address & pre-paid credit card so that when the ran out on said card it gets denied. By then their NRA credentials showed up & they were granted membership.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can double check if Molalla Rifle Club requires an active NRA membership.

IIRC my friends that joined the Tri-County Gun Club signed up for the NRA with the wrong address & pre-paid credit card so that when the ran out on said card it gets denied. By then their NRA credentials showed up & they were granted membership.

I didn't even use a prepaid card or a wrong address. I just made sure not to sing up for re-occuring charges and didn't renew.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I didn't even use a prepaid card or a wrong address. I just made sure not to sing up for re-occuring charges and didn't renew.

I gave a bs CC#. NRA gets NOTHING hahahahahahahha.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comfy sponk posted:

I gave a bs CC#. NRA gets NOTHING hahahahahahahha.

If i'd known that they weren't even going to confirm my signup card went through I would have done that in a heartbeat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, for me giving them money is a moral issue after they were silent on Philando Castille's right to bear arms and their constant fear mongering and race baiting. I'm not sure i'm comfortable giving them my money.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone's line in the sand is different. I would avoid them too entirely if I'd know about Comfy Sponk's trick. But it's really REALLY hard to totally avoid them with ranges since they're the only insurance in town for most of them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Everyone's line in the sand is different. I would avoid them too entirely if I'd know about Comfy Sponk's trick. But it's really REALLY hard to totally avoid them with ranges since they're the only insurance in town for most of them.

Yeah, and TBH you are probably more woke than I am most of the time based on your posting. However I got really angry when they didn't stand up for Castile. Also, with where the country is going and them focused on fanning the flames and shifting from gun rights to cultural conservatism and support of the fascist party, I'm having a hard time with this. 5 years ago I would have just shrugged and accepted it as an insurance requirement.

I'm not a lefty or a radical. I'm a liberal Democrat that likes guns. But I am feeling radicalized right now because I'm sick of seeing innocent people dying and being oppressed because of the color of their skin, and I think that the NRA is playing an actively harmful role in increasing the division and mistrust in our country and stoking the flames of specific types of fear and anger that are rooted in racism. I feel like giving them my money is betraying people of color. I won't judge anyone else for where they draw their line.

Sorry, I know this is a Wendy's drive through and all. I just wish there was a range nearby Portland that had membership spots open and didn't require that I join and give money to an organization that I think is working to make things worse in America. I guess I can always pay 20 bucks a pop at the English pit. It's only one box of ammo, after all.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The way I see it, access to my range has allowed me to introduce about 8 people who are definitely good people to guns. And i've got 3 more coming down the pipe. It also allows me to continue honing my marksmanship skills should the need arise.

You can take that or leave it, but there are offsets even if you couldn't just lie on your NRA card and not pay them any money.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

therobit posted:

Yeah, and TBH you are probably more woke than I am most of the time based on your posting. However I got really angry when they didn't stand up for Castile. Also, with where the country is going and them focused on fanning the flames and shifting from gun rights to cultural conservatism and support of the fascist party, I'm having a hard time with this. 5 years ago I would have just shrugged and accepted it as an insurance requirement.

I'm not a lefty or a radical. I'm a liberal Democrat that likes guns. But I am feeling radicalized right now because I'm sick of seeing innocent people dying and being oppressed because of the color of their skin, and I think that the NRA is playing an actively harmful role in increasing the division and mistrust in our country and stoking the flames of specific types of fear and anger that are rooted in racism. I feel like giving them my money is betraying people of color. I won't judge anyone else for where they draw their line.

Sorry, I know this is a Wendy's drive through and all. I just wish there was a range nearby Portland that had membership spots open and didn't require that I join and give money to an organization that I think is working to make things worse in America. I guess I can always pay 20 bucks a pop at the English pit. It's only one box of ammo, after all.

Are you specifically looking for a rifle range? Place to Shoot didn't require anything past my money to join.

But the fees there, especially for being a member, are asinine. I think they have less fees for higher levels of membership that I might just eat next time around. Actively eating twenty to thirty bucks on fees each visit as a member grates on me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, I do want a rifle range, since I only own 2 bolt guns, one lever gun, and a pump shotgun. I've always wanted a handgun but I've been married for the last 15 years and before that I was a poor college student. There's hope though. My wife has recently mused about pistol target shooting. Unfortunately given her temperament the absolutely worst thing I could do is try to encourage that if I want her to actually do it. Maybe I should forbid her....

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

https://www.trashnoland.org/ This came up on a local mailing list, has anyone heard of this group? It seems at first glance to be something that would be cool to get involved with, but their website is terrible

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Posting in the springtime

Hello friends I recently moved to a city in the southern Willamette valley type area from PA and there is a lot to learn about new things in Oregon. The main thing I'd like to ask is what's the deal with going into public land and setting up a target and shooting? Like i think you can do that on BLM and NF land but that wasn't a thing in PA so it's kind of new to me. Also if anyone knows good particular spots near the Eugene / Springfield area for setting up a target for rifle shooting I'd love to hear it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Posting in the springtime

Also y'all seem really nice I wish I could go shoot a clay with you but it's probably not gonna happen any time soon.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shooting on BLM is legal & easy to do, but you'll need to make sure you don't leave a mess (take out any targets you have & try to police your brass) & have a way to put out any potential fire (fire extinguisher or gallon of water + shovel with 2' handle).

The last time I was out shooting in that area was at Mary's Peak. Granted, that's almost 90 min from Eugene proper but I live in Portland so I'm more familiar with the northern Willamette valley area.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

step 1 of access to convenient, non-poo poo BLM shooting is "don't live in or near portland"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also, pay attention to signs. Some spots will look like a good place to shoot but there might be a sign up that says "No Shooting"

They are usually fairly obvious but you should take the time to look to be sure.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

BLM can be a nasty patchwork of rules, but you can learn what to look for. Sometimes a whole area is closed to target shooting but not hunting. Or private timber land may be interspersed with sections of BLM land, so look for signs and be careful which gates you cross.

Also, is it BLM land, or National Forest? They are different, and National Forest is much better about explaining the recreational stuff you can do and where you can do it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anyone in this thread from Portland want a free Novagen pullet? I am on my past day before being fined by the county for my chicken coop having too many birds... Cross posting from backyard chicken thread...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ok I found a home for the chicken.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

therobit posted:

Ok I found a home for the chicken.

If you need someone to mail your rear end in a top hat neighbor random cards from a Nigerian Prince/Chicken Enthusiast for the next decade, just let me know.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 18, 2005

not doing nothing

Grimey Drawer

Is there a mailing list / group I can join to keep up on this thread?

I live in NE Portland and would love to have more of a community around shooting.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

HollywoodDialysis posted:

Is there a mailing list / group I can join to keep up on this thread?

I live in NE Portland and would love to have more of a community around shooting.

We haven't got that far yet. We were planning on having a big shoot this summer, but the apocalypse happened. There are enough of us that we will sure as hell get a shoot done, but covid is being covid.

There might be some people who would be able to do socially distanced shooting or something, but I'm out on that.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 18, 2005

not doing nothing

Grimey Drawer

No worries. I'll bookmark this thread and check back. I'm also agreed on waiting till things are less apocalyptic...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I encourage y'all to keep this conversation going. I landed a freelance gig that's going to eat up all my time until mid-September and I don't want potential goon meets to pass.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shot up at the English Pit today zeroing in my rifle. Pretty nice shooting benches, rests with good shade cover. On the phone they mentioned having some sandbags for use but they really only have blocks of wood with crude U shapes cut out in them, some with bits of carpet on them - was glad I brought my yoga mat scrap for some extra no-slip on the block.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

English Pit is perfectly fine for general shooting. IIRC slow-fire is the nom du jour but that is unsurprising. The one issue I could see is that it's a steep path down to the range, so I'm a little concerned Captain Log would have trouble navigating it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

English Pit is perfectly fine for general shooting. IIRC slow-fire is the nom du jour but that is unsurprising. The one issue I could see is that it's a steep path down to the range, so I'm a little concerned Captain Log would have trouble navigating it.

Yeah, I think that would be a bitch.

Even though I don't need a walker anymore, I'm starting to think I might just swallow my pride and take my big, fancy walker out of the closet if it means I could get to more ranges. I'd need help with my guns if my hands are on a walker, but it might make some places open to me.

If it wasn't for Covid, I'd love to buddy up with a Portland goon and try a few spots out. That way I could get sherpa'd to some doable spots before a big group outing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have been to the English Pit once. Pros are it doesn't require membership, has covered shooting stations, has 50 and 100 yard ranges in addition to pistol and I think shotgun ranges, and it wasn't crowded when I went there.

Cons are it costs 20 bucks, it's in Vancouver, and the steps to get down there probably preclude us from bringing Log. I actually posted in like January asking if anyone wanted to join me there and was prepared to give rides. I was sad nobody could come but was glad I hadn't dragged Log out there because I don't think there is any way someone who requires or recently required a walker could get down those steps.

Actually maybe you could file an ADA suit against them Log!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

It's not the greatest place for any mobility problems. It's a dirt pit, so even worse when wet. Also yeah, they are definitely very against mag dumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Also I am willing to do an outdoor shoot with goons because as long as we wear masks well ventilated outdoors is safe. Brown's Camp maybe?