Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I haven't been to Brown's Camp in forever and I'm actually warming up to the idea of going there. Trick is I'm stupidly busy right now until September 15 (working 12+ hour days every day until then). If y'all wanna meet up before then don't feel like you gotta try to accommodate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

From now through end of deer season I'll probably be taking what spare time I have for trying to get out and do that but if a date lines up from ya'll setting something up I'll tag along perhaps.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are precious

oh hey buddies. what's a local gun shop that doesn't mind gay jew antifa supersoldiers browsing around?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I wish I knew.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've not seen anything overtly chuddy at NW Armory in Tigard. Fisherman's Warehouse is the least chuddy of the big stores.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Oregon rifle works in Tigard is pretty chill.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I've not seen anything overtly chuddy at NW Armory in Tigard. Fisherman's Warehouse is the least chuddy of the big stores.

I haven't spent time at the gun counter at Fisherman's other than to ask for ammo. They seem like good ol' boys but not in an aggressively political way. When they didn't have .308 for me they mentioned another place to go that might have some.

What I do like about that store is they seem to train the employees who work the desk that does the hunting and fishing licenses. I have had trouble at both Fred Meyer and Cabela's with employees who just don't know what the gently caress to do and can't answer any questions. Then you will invariably run into "computer issues" which seems to be code for "we hosed up." That's never happened to me at Fisherman's.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Although there is one guy who worked at Fisherman's (haven't seen him in a few years so i'm not 100% sure he still works there) that looks exactly like what you think a GBS poster looks like.

If you see that guy, ask for someone else.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are precious

thank you for the recs! now, on the opposite end, and good ol boys shops i should absolutely avoid?

oh, and is there a range i can practice shooting a rifle in? is there some caliber limit on that?

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 3, 2020

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

One shop to steer clear of at all costs is the Gun Room on foster. That place may have the best selection of old gats around, but you'll be gouged to hell and back for it. Also they don't like selling them "plastic" guns.

gahh, gently caress that place.

I don't think there's any public ranges that allow rifle as they are mainly indoor. English pit in vantucky is the only one that does. Else, forest service land or shell out for a gunclub membership.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure that's the place that gave my boss guns for free when he'd make big purchases, and then like 10 years later sent an invoice for all the free guns.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the place that gave my boss guns for free when he'd make big purchases, and then like 10 years later sent an invoice for all the free guns.

Lol WTF? That's one of the dumbest things I've read all day and I read the news this morning already.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Comfy sponk posted:

One shop to steer clear of at all costs is the Gun Room on foster. That place may have the best selection of old gats around, but you'll be gouged to hell and back for it. Also they don't like selling them "plastic" guns.

gahh, gently caress that place.

I don't think there's any public ranges that allow rifle as they are mainly indoor. English pit in vantucky is the only one that does. Else, forest service land or shell out for a gunclub membership.

When I first came to Portland I made an effort to scope out gun stores.

The Gun Room is worth visiting for one reason - they have a shop parrot who has lived in the store for a long time. Somehow, it hasn't managed to murder itself licking things.

But, all the other gun stores told me horror stories about that shop. The guy openly brags about "Whale Hunting", which means the rear end in a top hat owner (he was an rear end in a top hat) tries to find people who will pay $8k or more per gun. $8k was the amount I was told and multiple other gun stores. The shop is also full off very aggressive fudds. I've spent most of my life in the south, so I could handle them. But they were strong in the Fudd.

I go to Advanced Firearm Training in Gresham. I took two CCW courses there and the guys are really nice. Yeah, they are all Fudd adjacent old white guys, but I can politely argue with them about being a "flaming Democrat" and laugh back and forth about it. I really like it there, they treat me well.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

I've found BiMart to be the most apolitical place to shop for guns. However, the selection is limited and the people running the gun counter tend to be old women who are more interested in a paperwork heavy job than firearm knowledge.

The Sportmans Warehouse on 82nd gets a fairly diverse crowd, and you can order online and just show up when it arrives to do the 4473 if you want the most minimal interaction.

NW Armory has probably the most well stocked and staffed gun stores in the area, but they do throw a lot of advertising money at Lars Larson, the local rightwing radio personality who was an early trump supporter and platforms Patriot Prayer.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I've found BiMart to be the most apolitical place to shop for guns. However, the selection is limited and the people running the gun counter tend to be old women who are more interested in a paperwork heavy job than firearm knowledge.

The Sportmans Warehouse on 82nd gets a fairly diverse crowd, and you can order online and just show up when it arrives to do the 4473 if you want the most minimal interaction.

NW Armory has probably the most well stocked and staffed gun stores in the area, but they do throw a lot of advertising money at Lars Larson, the local rightwing radio personality who was an early trump supporter and platforms Patriot Prayer.

I'll add to saying the Sportsman's Warehouse is the Big Box store I get my guns from. Nice folk behind the counter and great pricing on common stuff.

They also have some weirdo guns come through there, making me think some manager is making sure they have some variety. I got to play with a Mateba there a while back.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I like the Sportsmans on 82nd. I've bought 2 stripped lowers, and a couple actual guns from them. The wait can be ridiculous lately tho. I legit was in line over an hour a couple months ago.

NW Armory is where I purchased my first handgun and man, it seems pretty Fudd to me. I went there a few other times for ammo etc, and yeah. I avoid now.

I used Tigard Pawn 4 More a couple weeks ago for FFL of an online purchase and recommend them over any gun shop I've been in. I walked in, filled out the paperwork, waited maybe 10m, left with gun. Only for FFL tho, their selection of guns is garbage, even for a pawn shop.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Specifically it's the Tigard NW armory. It used to be The Gunroom but they sold to NW Armory but kept most of the workers so it's pretty much the same crew.

The NW Armory on McLoughlin is def chuddier, but even then it's not like, chudsville.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CainFortea posted:

Specifically it's the Tigard NW armory. It used to be The Gunroom but they sold to NW Armory but kept most of the workers so it's pretty much the same crew.

The NW Armory on McLoughlin is def chuddier, but even then it's not like, chudsville.

Oh yeah, I mean the Milwaukie one. Maybe I've been at bad times? It's not the worst store on earth by any means, but ain't great.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Not 100% apolitical but I find Oregon Rifleworks in Tigard & J&B Firearms in Beaverton pretty decent. Big Iron Armory in NE Portland is small but the folks there are a'ight.

I just sold 500 rounds of 9mm Winchester WWB to a friend in Emmett, Idaho since he just got into competition shooting but now I feel like I need to restock my own supply. Any place carrying ammo that isn't the worst price gouge?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Oh yeah, I mean the Milwaukie one. Maybe I've been at bad times? It's not the worst store on earth by any means, but ain't great.

Yea, i'm not like, recommending it or anything. I don't go there at all anymore because there are better options. But if it was like, your only option for a gun you wanted then I might go again.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I've gone to J&B Firearms for most of my transfers, it's always seemed good and professional but I don't spend a ton of time chatting, even in normal times. I've had factual discussions with the staff there about guns (one talked to me about the Sig P320 drop-safe issue a few years ago, and I don't think he gave any bad advice looking back).

I was at Northwest Armory on McLoughlin today, and there were three lines at the door, one for gun accessory and ammo sales, one for online pickup (only) stuff, and one for new and online gun sales. They seemed to have different clerks for each line, and everything kept moving pretty quick, there was a fair bit of signage on what the lines were for, where the lines routed, marks for standing six feet apart, and about requirements for wearing a mask. I was surprised by how big the store was, I think it's the biggest gun store I've been into in the area but I haven't been to many. Store staff was all wearing masks.
Also seemed good and professional, but once again I didn't spend a ton of time there or chat much. (only issue was the clown outside who just wore his mask hanging off one ear while waiting in line).

I've been to Threat Dynamics in Sherwood before, and eh. Last time was years ago, they seemed okay I guess but sorta up their own rear end. Once when I was there someone had brought in some huge bolt .50 bmg or something (maybe for consignment or trade), and after the clerk checked in in she proceeded to sweep the room with it as she took it to the back. She at least realized what she did immediately after she did it and said a quick sorry... I can cut some slack on that because it was a big unwieldy thing, and the bolt was either open or removed from the gun entirely.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

Former oregoon, now living in tacoma. During non pandemic times I'm down there every week.

My experiences down south have been either at the pstc in Clackamas, or across the river on forest service land or near Stevenson.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Can you say where near Stevenson you are shooting?

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

therobit posted:

Can you say where near Stevenson you are shooting?

I honestly can't remember with any precision, I think it was a little east of the bridge of the gods. But it's been a couple years

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

So after a bummer day at the range, Wife's AR started short stroking after 2-3 mags and her 17hmr was hitting all over hell and gone, we packed it in for the day.

Stopped by Oregon Rifle works in Tigard and was looking at what they had. Saw a CZ 97 decocker and was middlin interested in it, but decocker.

Guy told me they had a used shadow 2, and I perked up.

wife says, merry Christmas.

It followed me home and I get to keep it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Comfy sponk posted:

So after a bummer day at the range, Wife's AR started short stroking after 2-3 mags and her 17hmr was hitting all over hell and gone, we packed it in for the day.

Stopped by Oregon Rifle works in Tigard and was looking at what they had. Saw a CZ 97 decocker and was middlin interested in it, but decocker.

Guy told me they had a used shadow 2, and I perked up.

wife says, merry Christmas.

It followed me home and I get to keep it.

Those grips are grand.

Youíll bring that to the post covid shoot, right?!?!

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Those grips are grand.

Youíll bring that to the post covid shoot, right?!?!

I'll bring all three CZs.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hi thread.

Soooooo...

Who got their vaccine shots?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hi thread.

Soooooo...

Who got their vaccine shots?

loving not me, god damnit.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Oregon is pretty drat strict about phase 1 unfortunately

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lol just lol

I did get my MMR booster though a few months back and studies show I'm pretty awesome against covid

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Like Iíve said in the main chat thread - Iím lucky enough to not have a need to break quarantine with my living circumstances. But the fact that a guy with monthly infusions at the oncology center who is also at risk of major covid complications not getting vaccinated until they star with thirty-six year olds is just

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I got my first jab in Pendleton Monday. If you're willing to drive, you can look around for appointments in red counties and get it done that way.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Javid posted:

I got my first jab in Pendleton Monday. If you're willing to drive, you can look around for appointments in red counties and get it done that way.

Did they not care about the age limit or are you old?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I found out I actually meet one of the non-age qualifications for whatever the current phase is. However, it wasn't something I had any way to produce proof of over the weekend, which was fine because they didn't ask for any.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Alas no matter what availability is gained from traveling further out, I am not essential enough nor have any underlying conditions to qualify me getting a shot at this time.

If you are in the current eligibility bracket & can do the travel, then please try to get your shot. The sooner everybody's in the current bracket can get immunized, theoretically the sooner us regular goons can get shots.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Alas no matter what availability is gained from traveling further out, I am not essential enough nor have any underlying conditions to qualify me getting a shot at this time.

If you are in the current eligibility bracket & can do the travel, then please try to get your shot. The sooner everybody's in the current bracket can get immunized, theoretically the sooner us regular goons can get shots.

Lots of the more red counties have extra doses because they aren't taking it. You can call around and get a dose that will just go to waste otherwise, and they don't give a gently caress about qualifying conditions at that point. They want to get that shot in an arm.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

poo poo, really? I didn't realize a phone call can check availability.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There's a thing where opened ones have to be used or discarded at the end of the day. Calling pharmacies near closing is the best way to locate such an opened dose. And once you have the first, you get an appointment for the second regardless of phase qualification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sounds like the power move is to head out to a more red county so you're there end of day then see if there's spare vaccines around.