Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I am Portland area adjacent - out in Richland, WA, so I'm in conceivable driving range. I dunno if you want to let a dirty Washingtonian in though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

All Cascadian goons are welcome.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I like turtles posted:

I am Portland area adjacent - out in Richland, WA, so I'm in conceivable driving range. I dunno if you want to let a dirty Washingtonian in though

You're the dude who actually knew Alex the Parrot, right?

Added you to the OP!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Log posted:

You're the dude who actually knew Alex the Parrot, right?

Added you to the OP!

I am! He called me a turkey once.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I like turtles posted:

I am! He called me a turkey once.

Iíve never forgotten the phrase, ďWanna get bird high?Ē

Gorgonzola Cheese
Feb 20, 2007
Gorgonzola's revenge!

I haven't been on TFR in a while but once I saw a portland area group I unfucked myself.

I'm in Vancouver, work in Hillsboro.

I like PRS style nonsense and big fuckoff meme gu s.
I have a bunch of steel targets I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, sup. Let's go blat gats

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Gorgonzola Cheese posted:

I haven't been on TFR in a while but once I saw a portland area group I unfucked myself.

I'm in Vancouver, work in Hillsboro.

I like PRS style nonsense and big fuckoff meme gu s.
I have a bunch of steel targets I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, sup. Let's go blat gats

Word, added you to the list.

After Wednesday, I should be cleared by a doc to be able to shoot. Yay full body nerve conduction study number four.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I'm in the area in Beaverton, and have some guns to shoot, but I don't know of any good places. I've been going to Salmonberry, but it's an hour away and can get crowded. I have some steel targets, some small gongs hanging on chains.

I think I'd be down for a road trip to southern Oregon when the weather's nice.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

*me and my boyfriend when we first started dating*

him: so you were married twice before?

me: yes

him: any kids?

me: no they were both adults

boxen posted:

I'm in the area in Beaverton, and have some guns to shoot, but I don't know of any good places. I've been going to Salmonberry, but it's an hour away and can get crowded. I have some steel targets, some small gongs hanging on chains.

Supposed to be 83 degrees here in the Rogue Valley next weekend. According to my weather app. But the weather down here is super erratic in my short experience. We would get flood warnings for days and not a single drop of rain.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Kept forgetting to post this here. East of Philomath there's a gorgeous slice of Oregon called Mary's Peak. There are several shooting holes there but the most easily accessible and popular is right next to the main road.

The smaller spot right off the road as shown can be about 40 yards or so if you're creative with your angles.

As seen here there's a little gravel road that takes you back to the big pit, lots more space back here. Room enough for a party.

and with a killer view:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

That's danged beautiful.

boxen posted:

We got'cha Boxen!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Action-Bastard posted:

Kept forgetting to post this here. East of Philomath there's a gorgeous slice of Oregon called Mary's Peak. There are several shooting holes there but the most easily accessible and popular is right next to the main road.

The smaller spot right off the road as shown can be about 40 yards or so if you're creative with your angles.

As seen here there's a little gravel road that takes you back to the big pit, lots more space back here. Room enough for a party.

and with a killer view:

Man, I haven't been to Mary's Peak in forever.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Man, I haven't been to Mary's Peak in forever.

Neither have I.

This was from the last time I was there:

Sometimes I miss that shotgun. But then I remember that that thing was close to 10 lbs loaded. swinging that thing was not fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I'm getting pumped up for this awful nerve study on Wednesday, because that should hopefully mean I can get back to shooting with a doctor's blessing. Hey Action-Bastard, in a week or two do you want to go scope out some spots? I've mentally put a pin in "May" for a big shoot, but some of us are close enough together we could do things far more frequent than that.

Idea - I believe one, maybe two people on our little list does some competitive matches. Would it be realistic to take a group of comp. newbies to a shoot? I've always, always, always wanted to do that but the thought of going alone is a bit daunting. Just a thought.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Sure thing man. Just need a decent heads up I have a few things going on and my availability is subject to change.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

Sure thing man. Just need a decent heads up I have a few things going on and my availability is subject to change.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

Things are changing in my neck of the woods, now Iím looking at homes up in Oregon City/Tigard/Klackamus(sp?). My work situation is not turning out to be the best at the moment solely because hospital management is terrible no matter where you go (the bottom line, not patient care). Tons of offers up there near PDX for work so I may be joining you all in civilization again!

Edit:

Reconfigured my carbine again, not that it takes forever to change but this gun surprises a LOT of people with sheer fun factor. I purposely load 10 rounds in each magazine now because you can blow through 1000 rounds very quickly and not realize it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Clackamas & Oregon City are decent areas that aren't total suburbia hellholes like Tigard or Beaverton. Depending on where you work, the commute may not be terrible either.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OC is pretty cool, pretty much middle between the the two mountain spots to go shooting, and pretty close to a good membership only range.

yea, only takes me 35 minutes to get to Portland in the morning from here, squeezed in right between the two freeways.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I initially live a quarter mile down the road from Kaiser in Clackamas. I love that facility and itís a nice area. I liked having a nearby nice mall to go walk and need to get back in the habit. (Flat is important and Clackamas is hilly as gently caress)

We moved to Portland/Gresham because of our price range, but would have loved to stay in Clackamas. (Or west Linn if we were loaded. Lots of nice shops out there and good potential for opening up a place when that was an option)

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Clackamas & Oregon City are decent areas that aren't total suburbia hellholes like Tigard or Beaverton. Depending on where you work, the commute may not be terrible either.

Looking more and more likely like either the VA or the main Providence hospital off the 5.

Gorgonzola Cheese
Feb 20, 2007
Gorgonzola's revenge!

Captain Log posted:

I'm getting pumped up for this awful nerve study on Wednesday, because that should hopefully mean I can get back to shooting with a doctor's blessing. Hey Action-Bastard, in a week or two do you want to go scope out some spots? I've mentally put a pin in "May" for a big shoot, but some of us are close enough together we could do things far more frequent than that.

Idea - I believe one, maybe two people on our little list does some competitive matches. Would it be realistic to take a group of comp. newbies to a shoot? I've always, always, always wanted to do that but the thought of going alone is a bit daunting. Just a thought.

What kind of matches are you looking at?
There's an amazing PRS group that does a thing the first Sat of each month. Buuuuuuut it's in Eatonville... like two and half hours north.
Worth it.
But.
Far.

June is a practice match (I think) and that's the time to go learn the new game. May 4th is a points match and they're generally not as friendly with wind calls and strategy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Gorgonzola Cheese posted:

What kind of matches are you looking at?
There's an amazing PRS group that does a thing the first Sat of each month. Buuuuuuut it's in Eatonville... like two and half hours north.
Worth it.
But.
Far.

June is a practice match (I think) and that's the time to go learn the new game. May 4th is a points match and they're generally not as friendly with wind calls and strategy.

I'm just looking at anything beginner friendly. If it was that far of a trek, I'd need to hitch a ride. No worries, though. I pay my share of gas.

I'd probably be looking for something really low key to start off with, but I'm putting the cart before the horse. I just need to get back to shooting regularly and knock off the rust I've no doubt accumulated.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Doc cleared me to start physical therapy and said shooting is just fine as long as I don't go on any multi-mile woods treks. Woop woop!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I suck at reading the OP apparently because I didn't realize this

Captain Log posted:

- We need to have a Spring/Summer Shoot where either Duccy comes to us or we go to her. The lady has an armoury James Bond would covet. There are a lot of goons that are a few hours out from Portland that we could include in a big hootenanny. The Nashville 11' goon shoot had about nine people. I think we can beat that.

was an actual idea being seriously considered. Duccy and I are in the same county down here, and between us know approximately a billionty solid 10 shooting spots around here that have none of the bullshit that I've heard described as occurring at the places near Portland.

At my range up at the north end of the valley here, I'd have to check on what it'd cost but we could potentially rent out a range + campsites for a weekend. Or, a range Saturday and go gently caress around at a river that is actually safe to drink and touch. It's not Portland but there are a handful of decent restaurants up here and more down Duccy's way. There's a decent long weekend in that!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

I suck at reading the OP apparently because I didn't realize this

was an actual idea being seriously considered. Duccy and I are in the same county down here, and between us know approximately a billionty solid 10 shooting spots around here that have none of the bullshit that I've heard described as occurring at the places near Portland.

At my range up at the north end of the valley here, I'd have to check on what it'd cost but we could potentially rent out a range + campsites for a weekend. Or, a range Saturday and go gently caress around at a river that is actually safe to drink and touch. It's not Portland but there are a handful of decent restaurants up here and more down Duccy's way. There's a decent long weekend in that!

Iíd be so down for that. Iím not confident in my long distance driving ability at this moment, but Iím sure that can be worked around.

When does it get warm but not loving HOT?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I’d be so down for that. I’m not confident in my long distance driving ability at this moment, but I’m sure that can be worked around.

When does it get warm but not loving HOT?

Depends on your definition of hot, summer can hang around 90°+ and on rare occasions get into 100s. Today was a nice warm day in my neck of the woods.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

May/June, imo. July and August are the worst of it, plus we're hosed with wildfire smoke about half the time then, too.

e: it was like 74 today which is perfect but you can't count on days like that for another month or so

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Log if you were at the Mid TN '11 shoot then we probably met.

I've got the thread bookmarked for when I move out there (Portland...maybe Salem) next May-ish.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Log if you were at the Mid TN '11 shoot then we probably met.

I've got the thread bookmarked for when I move out there (Portland...maybe Salem) next May-ish.

Huh, we probably did. Was Micromancer in white camo?

I was the sorta chubby 5'11 dude wearing a long sleeved patterned shirt because of the sun with half a red goatee. I brought the HiPoint that we couldn't break. I also was the guy who had three different mags jam in an AK.

I think I have those pictures saved somewhere.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I *think* that's right, I just looked at my own pictures but doesn't look like I have any from the shoot. Looking forward to you potentially finding pics and posting them. I might have been wearing my Awful Shooting Squad shirt at the time...

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

It was 75 in Ashland yesterday, supposed to be 81 today. But then it normalizes throughout the next week. May and June are prime times for perfect weather. July is when the fires start, but with all the rain hopefully will lower the risk but probably not much, if at all. Last summer was essentially stay indoors when possible. Realllllly hoping thats not the case this year.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I have an infusion next week, but once Iíve got that down Iím good to go scout some Portland areas. I have a pretty good 9mm stockpile to go through. I also need to cycle out my carry ammo, so we should explode some melons.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

I can pump out 500 rounds an hour of 45acp on my progressive, with reduced recoil since my little raccoon paws dont like SAAMI pressures. I can pump out 45acp, 9mm, and 357/38sp on the progressive actually since I have the addons for those that make it super easy and fast to just churn them out. I also have a couple ammo boxes full of of factory and handloaded .308 and 30-06 if people want to use, ill never use that much this year.

Gorgonzola Cheese
Feb 20, 2007
Gorgonzola's revenge!

Just FYI - the yacolt burn range is balls.
Not that you guys were planning on scouting north of the river but jfc I can't imagine a worse improvised shooting range than that goochstain.

Imagine if you will... standing tweny yards away from a sheer flatass rock cliff. And shooting into that ricochet generator.
That's what passes for a range out here I guess.
Just eww.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Hey Action, my infusion is tomorrow which means I probably have a rough seven days in front of me. I think you said Sunday's work for you. Want to tentatively plan to go shoot stuff next Sunday?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Hey Action, my infusion is tomorrow which means I probably have a rough seven days in front of me. I think you said Sunday's work for you. Want to tentatively plan to go shoot stuff next Sunday?

Sure man, we can coordinate over PMs.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

Sure man, we can coordinate over PMs.

Iíll likely be in touch the day after tomorrow.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Is there a likely "real" range that stuff would be at? I will need to put down an address for the 5320.20 form to bring my skorpion.

And by "likely" I mostly mean, "conceivably possible"

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The one I'm always plugging is at 7407 Highland Ave, Grants Pass, OR 97526

«13 »