Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

the replenishing $10 coupon is such an easy concept to grasp, and a perfect motivator to splurge on additional games as the sale goes on.

This mechanism is probably just because it's functionally equivalent to "every $15+ game is $10 off!" but it sidesteps the problem of offering a new $15 game for $5 which had some developers up in arms last year as it devalues their game (and Epic had not discussed this with them).

Should the Epic Games Store be named the Epic Game Store instead? You can only buy 1 game at a time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Should be called the Epic Lame Store since it has only one leg to stand on and that's Fortnite money.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is the latest free game... drat, that's pretty good!

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

PowerBeard posted:

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is the latest free game... drat, that's pretty good!
Yeah, didn't expect that to pop up! Was about to pick it up elsewhere.

The freebies alone really built out my library. Ended up grabbing Outer Worlds with the discount plus the coupon for a really good price and it recharged that coupon immediately... Haven't even bothered with Steam's sales yet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's the Banjo Kazooie clone, right? Is it good? I grabbed it on principle, but I don't really know anything about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
From what I gathered when it came out it's competently made, but really lacks the charm of the old games. It got a bit overshadowed by A Hat in Time on that front when it came out.

Also, you know that quiz part of Banjo Kazooie that everyone just loved? It's back with a vengeance.

Edit: Oh, it's the DLC, haven't tried that, nvm then!

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2019

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

That's the Banjo Kazooie clone, right? Is it good? I grabbed it on principle, but I don't really know anything about it.

This one is a 2d spinoff that I've heard is better than the main game. I've been wanting to play it and now I'm excited I can without paying money for it :cheerdoge:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's the original, this is the new one that is more like the newer donkey kong games, and apparently much better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh, that does sound good. I do love me a good 2D platformer and Donkey Kong was a hell of a fun series in that regard.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, that does sound good. I do love me a good 2D platformer and Donkey Kong was a hell of a fun series in that regard.

It’s main gimmick (right in the title) is the Impossible Lair, a 15-20 minute long checkpoint-less final dungeon (with several boss fights) you can technically complete right at the start of the game but can try to do at any time afterwards as well. The rest of the game is unlocking areas in the overworld and doing the regular DK-like levels to unlock bees for a bee shield for use only in the Impossible Lair - each bee acts as 1 hit point. There’s also secrets and optional level modifiers of all varieties. It’s pretty good!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds a bit like the level structure of Order of Ecclesia, which is certainly not a bad thing at all.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

MMF Freeway posted:

That's the original, this is the new one that is more like the newer donkey kong games, and apparently much better.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeeze quality or one of the earlier ones?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BexGu posted:

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeeze quality or one of the earlier ones?

A lower budget Tropical Freeze.

Edit: The devs themselves tried to get in front of those comparisons but there’s no escaping it once you see/play it. It just doesn’t have the ridiculous level of polish that a Tropical Freeze or a Rayman Legends got.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Heavy Rain was...interesting.

I like what it tried to do enough that I also picked up Beyond Two Souls in the sale, but what a crappy endgame.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

Heavy Rain was...interesting.

I like what it tried to do enough that I also picked up Beyond Two Souls in the sale, but what a crappy endgame.
Enjoy this classic endgame glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

PRESS X TO SHAUUUUUN

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XysJjXMzM4c

"by the way I paid to have this experience"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

been playing a bit of yooka-laylee

oh my god so many bee puns

Runs great on my notebook, though, so that's a plus. It's definitely Donkey Kong as hell. It's honestly kind of charming, if a bit heavy on the self-aware humor maybee.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I appreciate yooka laylee's skip section feature a lot, there are some bizzare difficulty spikes. The base condition of chapter 5 I had to skip almost the entire level, I found it insanely hard.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Darksiders 1: Warmastered Edition, Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition and STEEP are the free games on the EGS. Kind of surprised at the Darksiders games, STEEP meanwhile was made free on UPlay this week, so that comes as less of a shock.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Darksiders 2 was recently free for Twitch Prime subscribers, so I guess that lowered the bar for the rest maybe.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Darksiders 1 and 2 have been on humble bundle multiple times, and 2 and 3 were free PS+ games. Honestly THQ's stratigy with those games seems to be "give them away and hope people buy the next one at full price."

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
They're also pretty old games and 2 just sucks. 1 is fine.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PowerBeard posted:

Darksiders 1: Warmastered Edition, Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition and STEEP are the free games on the EGS. Kind of surprised at the Darksiders games, STEEP meanwhile was made free on UPlay this week, so that comes as less of a shock.

happy 10 year release day anniversary for darksiders 1

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
10 years... Where does the time go, but also boy the original looked rough out!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Anora posted:

Darksiders 1 and 2 have been on humble bundle multiple times, and 2 and 3 were free PS+ games. Honestly THQ's stratigy with those games seems to be "give them away and hope people buy the next one at full price."

They were also part of the giant THQ sale on Steam when THQ went bankrupt and sold all their properties. The entire (at the time) THQ library on Steam for about $30.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
One the BRAND NEW exclusive are apparently going to be:

AUTO CHESS!

Which is a car-themed chess game, wow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i thought autochess was that insanely popular mahjong mod for dota2? is there another game called auto chess? lmao

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Some people also really enjoy watching chess computers play chess against each other, for some reason.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Autochess is nothing like chess (or mahjong?) it just got the name because it takes place on a grid and you don't directly control your units.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's heavily inspired by mahjong, which at some point got confirmed by the devs too afaik, but plays on a chess board :shrug:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I guess I don't know much about mahjong. I'd be interested to know in what ways they're similar

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mahjon proper is basically like if you played high-speed simultaneous poker with wooden bricks heavy enough to double as a toddler's construction toy and there were about a million times more possible hands than in any variety of poker in existence, all with distinct values and often unique and flowery names. It's a game that is played by exactly four people sitting around a square table and you can't really play it with any less than that.

The mahjong you find on cheap shovelware CDs is basically just a weirdly layered match-2 game kind of like Memory but using the same pieces as in real mahjong. Kind of a lot like the relationship of Solitaire to poker decks, really.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

Mahjon proper is basically like if you played high-speed simultaneous poker with wooden bricks heavy enough to double as a toddler's construction toy and there were about a million times more possible hands than in any variety of poker in existence, all with distinct values and often unique and flowery names. It's a game that is played by exactly four people sitting around a square table and you can't really play it with any less than that.

The mahjong you find on cheap shovelware CDs is basically just a weirdly layered match-2 game kind of like Memory but using the same pieces as in real mahjong. Kind of a lot like the relationship of Solitaire to poker decks, really.

it's like playing rummy with tiles instead of cards

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 15, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it's like playing rummy with tiles instead of cards
I've never played Rummy, but looking at it, that's probably the better comparison.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

I've never played Rummy, but looking at it, that's probably the better comparison.

Rummy and Mahjong share roots from the same Chinese game iirc

albeit one was a title variant and the other card

though also as years have gone by the mahjong tile pool expanded and more weirdass hands were rewarded

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's interesting to know, thanks. I can see the shared origin in a game when it's as obvious as that between chess and shogi, but there are so many "match the thing" games that I never would've guessed there's this much history to it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
EGS has now implemented OpenCritic reviews to be shown on store pages of games that opt in, so it's a good step forward.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'd call that more symbolic than anything. If it's not open used reviews with no way to opt out it's pretty much meaningless. Not that used reviews on their own are all that helpful but when you get a ton of them together and read the top wordy negative reviews you usually get a pretty good idea what's wrong with a game even if it's very positive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Autochess is nothing like chess (or mahjong?) it just got the name because it takes place on a grid and you don't directly control your units.

That’s terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wishlist functionality has been added, shame they haven't added the feature where it notifies you of a sale on wishlisted items.