Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a way for the epic social bar to default to "do not disturb". Cause it's kinda annoying to have to set it manually each time I launch a game (even the same one multiple times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Rinkles posted:

Is there a way for the epic social bar to default to "do not disturb". Cause it's kinda annoying to have to set it manually each time I launch a game (even the same one multiple times).
If you set it in the launcher friends list, it should persist.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SupSuper posted:

If you set it in the launcher friends list, it should persist.

seems there's a bug with saints row 3 that resets your status whenever you change any graphical settings, so it's not persisting.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

Dragging their storefront kicking and screaming into the 20th century

If Epic made our thread title need a change, this would certainly make a fitting one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rinkles posted:

seems there's a bug with saints row 3 that resets your status whenever you change any graphical settings, so it's not persisting.

stop changing graphical settings in saints row 3

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Epic Store will have the advantage of being a fully curated marketplace that will not have the same problem as Steam that sells lazy assetflips.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/street-striker-de25df
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/beat-em-up-game-template-3d-98013

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/deadly-flight-c8a656
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/crazy-machine-rotary-attack-war-2d-sky-battle-cartoon-game-compl-135546

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Now you can soon buy albums from your favorite indie bands on EGS, and see cameos from Scratcha DVA, Rudimentary Peni and Koichi Matsukaze Trio feat Ryojiro Furusawa on Fortnite.

Epic Games have bought Bandcamp

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

EGS is finally adding ratings. Except that they're going to combat review bombing by randomly contacting game owners after they play for a review. Really curious how that works out for them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

EGS is finally adding ratings. Except that they're going to combat review bombing by randomly contacting game owners after they play for a review. Really curious how that works out for them.

I’m sure the 4 people that actually play the free games they give will be plenty happy to give reviews.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Please Tim, give me a phone call after I drop a hot one

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Tagichatn posted:

It's only 1-5 star ratings, no comments, so expect everything to just have a 3.456 average that tells you nothing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Apologies in advance for thread necromancy, but it looks like that's kind of standard practice for this thread. I'm looking for help with activating a game purchased on the Epic store that is theoretically supposed to "activate itself" with Ubisoft upon first launch, but instead Ubi's thing asks for a product key, which doesn't exist. I know it's more of a Ubisoft issue, but their support system seems designed to suck every last ounce of hope and patience out of the user (I've been waiting over a month since the last case update). And it doesn't happen with Steam games, so it's kind of an Epic issue, even though I ultimately still blame Ubisoft.

Is there potentially a better thread for this? I do have more details but I don't want to bark up the wrong tree.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A shot in the dark but was this an older game that installed uPlay itself when you downloaded it because you didn't have uPlay already installed? I know that buying some Ubi games on Steam would install a old/broken/outdated version of uPlay and would gently caress things up when it tried to activate. If this was the first time uPlay got installed maybe try uninstalling whatever the game installed and download the latest version from Ubisoft itself.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Have you tried linking your Ubisoft and Epic accounts? https://www.ubisoft.com/en-ca/help/account/article/linking-your-epic-games-and-ubisoft-accounts/000064420. Hopefully doing so will at least get the game recognized on your Uconnect or whatever the poo poo is called these days, and you can just install via the Ubi launcher.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The game in question is Discovery Tour: Viking Age (AKA the non-Assassinatin' version of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla) and so far based on other articles/forum posts, I've done various attempts at reinstalling Ubisoft Connect (or Uplay, or whatever it's called) and reinstalling the game itself (which I really don't plan on doing again, since it's about 100GB download). There's also a common recommendation to clear some kind of cache used by the Ubisoft app and close both apps in a certain order, run as administrator, etc.

I do feel like I'm missing something regarding "linking" the 2 accounts as mentioned above, which does seem like it would solve this. Unfortunately from what I'm reading in that link, the steps sound very much like what I would've already done? I've certainly verified the email on my Epic account at some point. But then the next step is to launch the game, which is where things always go south. It always just asks for a key, instead of whatever Ubisoft thinks will happen.

I really wish there was just some sort of web page set up where you manually link the 2 accounts. They seem very confident that it will magically happen when you launch the game. They're wrong.

But I will try something along these lines when I get home and see if I'm missing any part of this process. I've mostly been focusing on the other troubleshooting track (specifically focused on trying to get the product key pop-up not to show up).

Also, this does have me wondering if perhaps they're assuming I use the same email address for Epic and Ubisoft. Maybe I should try changing one of them. (It's not explicitly stated in those instructions, but I'm starting to suspect that that's an assumption they're making.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 4, 2023

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I had something similar happen last year when I purchased Ghost Recon: Breakpoint through Epic. It kept borking when trying to install via Epic. But when I saw the game was showing up in my Uplay/Uconnect/Whateverthehellitisnow, I just decided to install there directly and had no further issues other than some error in Epic hanging over the game.

As for the key, since it sounds like it is at least showing up in the Ubi launcher: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/...ns%20displayed.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I had a Ubisoft game that came with a video card that redeemed on epic. Randomly last year it started giving an error that the key was invalid and I had to rebuy it. I only played it once so I never bothered to do anything about it. I don't even remember what it was. Anyway that's my epic and UBI story

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Iirc, Ubisoft had to change how it handled Epic bought games, because early on people could redeem their EGS purchases on Ubisoft’s store, refund them on Epic, but be able to keep the Ubi copy.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
people love the epic game store!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Epic Lames Snore

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

As for the key, since it sounds like it is at least showing up in the Ubi launcher: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/...ns%20displayed.

It's not, unfortunately. It's just a pop-up asking for a key. The Ubi launcher doesn't seem to "know" that I have the game in any sense. I suppose that's the point I'm trying to get to.

The window that shows up is a generic thing from Ubisoft Connect asking for a key. It's essentially the same thing that pops up if I click "Activate a Key" within the Ubisoft client.

I tried firing up TrackMania from the Epic store since it's the only other Ubisoft game I could find there. That one launches fine, although it's F2P so that's not really saying much.

It kind of seems like there's just this communications breakdown where Epic is unable to tell Ubisoft what game I'm trying to play.

I've also noticed a curious line in the Ubisoft launcher_log.txt that indicates an error in "OwnershipGetProductConfig.cpp" saying "Configuration could not be found for id 19000". This happens every time I try to launch it from Epic. (I've already provided this log to Ubisoft, and it'll be lovely to discuss my findings with them if they ever get back to me.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 5, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FWIW, I got a pretty quick response from their support when I asked a question on the Ubisoft forums (another thing Epic doesn’t have), but that was simpler to resolve.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rinkles posted:

FWIW, I got a pretty quick response from their support when I asked a question on the Ubisoft forums (another thing Epic doesn’t have), but that was simpler to resolve.

At least the support page on the site actually seems to be working on my main PC now (for some reason it only worked on mobile before, and only occasionally) and they've actually disabled the Live Chat button instead of it simply doing nothing, so maybe they're finally getting their act together.

EDIT 3/5/2023: In case anyone finds this later and is wondering if it ever got resolved, the answer is "sort of". Launching the game yesterday triggered it to do some kind of massive update (70+GB) and it "just worked" after that. I didn't even get to see when it happened, since I just left it running while I left the house, but when I came back I heard my computer fans blazing and the game was at the title screen. I have no idea if Epic or Ubisoft did something on their end to make my game fix itself, or if it was an actual update that just happened to fix it. Either way, the issue is, somewhat unsatisfyingly, resolved.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 6, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Have you tried closing both, opening EGS, and launching the game without Ubisoft Connect running?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have UnrealEngine 5.0/5.1 on an old HDD. I have it connected via USB (transfer times aren’t a big deal to me), but recently flattened/installed Win11 again, and lost my links to the UE files, even though I still have the several dozen GB of data on the HDD. Is there a way to “reinstall” UE without having to actually redownload the whole mess? I have unlimited data, so it’s not a “cap” per se, but my internet at my very rural home is 4G LTE and that unlimited data comes in very, very slowly. I don’t want to wait a week to play around with a hobby, when I already have the data on my system!

I installed UE 5 via the EGS. I don’t know if this would be better in a Win11 thread, but it is squarely an EGS issue imo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In my experience, if for whatever reason your download doesn't complete or you need to reinstall, Unreal insists on redownloading and reinstalling the ENTIRE thing and I was never able to find a workaround that actually worked for me, even if I'd downloaded like 99.9% of what was needed, it would refuse to install to that directory and start from scratch over again.

I figured it must have been something that I was doing wrong, because there was no way any download system in the 2020s would operate that way, but.... maybe not!?!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I discovered that the freebie Fallout 1, 2, Tactics a week or so back installs all languages as separate game install folders.
So if anyone installed those, go in and delete the extra folders.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jerusalem posted:

In my experience, if for whatever reason your download doesn't complete or you need to reinstall, Unreal insists on redownloading and reinstalling the ENTIRE thing
<snip>

Yeah, that’s the thing I was hung on…just seems like such a bad design decision/implementation of something made by a big company specifically for computer-savvy persons.

quote:

I figured it must have been something that I was doing wrong, because there was no way any download system in the 2020s would operate that way, but.... maybe not!?!

We need an :egs: smiley :bang::doh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I installed EGS on my new computer at my new house (it works fine in the other computer at the old house! and funnily enough I have the same ISP on both so that's no it), and I found it downloads things veeery slowly, with speeds between 1.5 and 3.5mbps. I have a 300mb fiber line, mind you.

-I have a wired connection.
-Internet speeds are fine in Steam or speedtest.net.
-I tried disabled the windows firewall temporally
-I tried changing the DNS
-I tried rebooting the router (and computer)
- I only have a nvme ssd on this computer so it can’t be that
- I tried a pair of workarounds I read on internet, like activating the throttling of the app to a very high value or putting some lines in a .ini file (both fixes here) https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/epic-games-download-slow.html

But the issue persists. Any other ideas?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 1, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Intern Vadim coded EGS shopping cart to require constant high volume pingback to HQ, best way to prevent fraud he said.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Turin Turambar posted:

I installed EGS on my new computer at my new house (it works fine in the other computer at the old house! and funnily enough I have the same ISP on both so that's no it), and I found it downloads things veeery slowly, with speeds between 1.5 and 3.5mbps. I have a 300mb fiber line, mind you.

-I have a wired connection.
-Internet speeds are fine in Steam or speedtest.net.
-I tried disabled the windows firewall temporally
-I tried changing the DNS
-I tried rebooting the router (and computer)
- I only have a nvme ssd on this computer so it can’t be that
- I tried a pair of workarounds I read on internet, like activating the throttling of the app to a very high value or putting some lines in a .ini file (both fixes here) https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/epic-games-download-slow.html

But the issue persists. Any other ideas?

Edit: Disregard, I can't read.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 1, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Turin Turambar posted:

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but is "limitacion de descarga esta activa" saying that the download limiter is active?

Preferences -> Throttle Downloads

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is from another thread but belongs here.

30.5 Days posted:

I was partly involved in the Epic release for MTG:Arena, and it was clear then (Jan 2020) that Epic was never going to be a steam competitor. We had a signed deal with them to use their payment network for our F2P transactions and we had engineers assigned to it. They got it partway implemented and then couldn't figure out how to finish it. Like the Google Play store, epic indicates purchase status with "bought"/"not bought". Google Play has a little endpoint to reset "bought" to "not bought" for rebuyable items. It's a stupid way of doing things, but it works. But the documentation didn't have anything about how to do that on Epic. The engineer assigned to the project kept asking them pointed questions that they'd disappear for a day and then come back with some half answer.

Finally, she went into the epic store and started looking at the F2P games. Not a single game on the epic store had any repurchaseable items. It was all battle passes which were different skus every month/quarter/whatever, or one-time-buyable stuff like skins. She finally pointedly asked whether epic had gotten us to sign a contract with them that they couldn't fulfill. We didn't hear back from them for two days. We didn't really hear back from them at all- Epic made a public announcement that they were generously allowing all free to play games on the epic store to use their own payment processor for IAP and that they wouldn't have to pay epic a dime.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Someone didn't plan their payment system very well, it seems

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but is "limitacion de descarga esta activa" saying that the download limiter is active?

Preferences -> Throttle Downloads

Yes, but that was because I actually activated the throttle as a possible fix (I read if you put it but with a super big limit it may work).

In any case you may disregard my post, I'm more and more certain that it is an issue of the ISP. It happens too with the xbox app, so I think they are throttling a specific CDN.
And I tried it with a laptop from family to discard an issue with my computer.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is it still piracy to get a free copy of GTA5 on the Epic store, but :filez: it anyway because you just want to play the campaign and not deal with logging in to both Epic and Rockstar's servers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A good poster posted:

Is it still piracy to get a free copy of GTA5 on the Epic store, but :filez: it anyway because you just want to play the campaign and not deal with logging in to both Epic and Rockstar's servers?

Are you really going to deprive those poor corporations from harvesting your data? Have you no shame.
That's like taking food straight out out of Tim Sweeny's mouth.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

A good poster posted:

You own a legally obtained copy of GTA5 at the price the dev/publisher decided to offer it at the moment you obtained it. From this point onward however else you decide to download or play it, digitally, is up to you.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
No one's even going to use this thread to discuss Epic laying off 16% of its staff? It's not exactly appropriate for the Steam thread, is it?

The EGS moneyhat spending seemingly got so bad it started to eat up too much of the Fortnite money fountain.

Also, I'm somewhat near the end of my free Epic copy of Death Stranding, and it's kinda funny seeing Half-Life references everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's because nobody loving gives a poo poo about EGS other than the occasional free game. That's why it only gets discussed in the Steam thread instead of it's own thread.

Also the EGS version of Death Stranding still has the Valve content in it? lmao.