Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 11: Jagen Experiences Revolutionary New Camera Angles

Welcome back to Pokemon Black. I had a request in the thread to use our new Venipede, so I’m just taking some time to level her up here in Pinwheel Forest. Since we’ve dealt with all the trainers in this area already, I’ve just got to use the wild Pokemon.

I swapped out Munna for now. It probably should have been Blitzle, but I still have faith.

As a side note while I’m doing this, I realize I didn’t point out this mossy rock last time. If you level up an Eevee near here, you can evolve it into Leafeon, its Grass type evolution!

Oh hey, it’s Pansage.

What?

gently caress you pansage

Might as well get two of ‘em.

Here’s how Venipede’s looking post-grind. Poison Point is a pretty great ability, I’m glad to have it. Any physical move from Venipede grants a 30% chance to proc Poison.

As far as Bug Types go, Venipede’s sort of a bonafide tank. Dual-type Bug and Poison gives hera fair amount of weaknesses we’ll need to be aware of, though.

Without further ado, onto the next route!

So, Pokemon Black and White came out around the time the DSi, an updated model of the DS, released. I assume it’s because of that that this section is in the game, because we’re about to get graphically flexed at for a while.

Well, we will after we come out of this little transfer station. I don’t know what to call these, so if any of you in the thread do, please let me know.

This Hiker’s got a pretty neat item for us.

When held, the Quick Claw grants the holder a 20% chance to attack first, regardless of their actual speed. It’s far too rare to be something you want to count on, but hey, no downsides.

This woman tries to convince Jagen to be one of those people who sell rare Beanie Babies on Ebay.

No shame in that, Beanie Babies are rad as hell.

Well, we know there’s a gym there. Might as well head out!

BEHOLD THE VISUAL MIGHT

OF THE NINTENDO

DUAL SCREEN PORTABLE SYSTEM

Even this NPC doesn’t know what to do with a curve that’s not a right angle! By the way, you just hold forward here, the camera rotates around you.

You can see trucks passing underneath as you walk the path.

Uh, good luck?

By the by, if you happen to be hatching a Pokemon egg and need to take a lot of steps, this bridge is a great place to do it without wasting time changing directions.

The bridge was a little more impressive.

And it’s done.

Ma’am I cannot even see your legs, they are like two pixels.

Okay, here’s Castelia City! It’s enormous. Like, by far the largest town in any Pokemon game, I think to date, although Not-Paris from X and Y might be close.

It’s going to take a few updates to really comb through this place, so look forward to that if you like dialogue and exploration! And if you don’t, I’m sorry!

Go ahead, do it! Scroll to the next screenshot with the side of your pinky on the scroll wheel.

If you’re reading this on mobile you have to stop the update at this point, sorry.

Wow! Thanks, guy!

You may resume normal viewing.

None of them, but I’ll take Pansage since he’s at the top.

In case you weren’t aware, some Pokemon evolve by using Stones on them, like the Moon Stone we picked up from Lenora last time. Leaf, Fire, and Water Stones evolve their corresponding Terrible Monkeys.

This is good to keep in mind! Look up a list of level-up moves before you evolve your Pokemon, if they’re not a level based evolution.

I’m going to forget this advice at some point down the line and I’m just eschewing myself from responsibility right now.

There are Clerks all over New York Castelia City. Everyone here is an office worker, I guess.

By the way, the dynamic camera angles are still a bit in effect here, so you get some cool shots like this Pikachu billboard.

The inside of the Center is still the same, though.

It lets you log your home country, and shows you the locations of people you’ve traded or battled with! Or, it did, before the Wi-Fi connection went the way of the dinosaur. Now it just hovers in the corner of this shot, being entirely irrelevant.

Look, it’s honestly not my fault.

I realize now that I haven’t been keeping up on restorative items, so I stocked up.

Let’s check out Prime Pier!

So, this boat is a part of an event that doesn’t occur naturally in the game. You had to download it from Nintendo’s Wi-Fi servers between...March and April of 2011.

Unless I discover time travel or how to enable this with an Action Replay, we’re just going to have to admire the boat from a distance.

And that’s all for Prime Pier.

Here’s an entirely optional area, but one that’s worth doing. The Battle Company! Let’s venture into capitalism.

This was what I said at my last workplace too.

From this, it might seem like items will be the main gimmick of this area, but they aren’t really.

:stonk:

We could jump right to the upper floor, but this is a fair play LP.

I’d complain, but it seems fair, given the name.

She’s just got a single Herdier. Timburr still makes for an effective counter against these guys.

My resume just says I beat the Elite Four in Silver when I was six. Maybe that’s why I got cut in downsizing, should have said it was Red.

This guy doesn’t even battle us, he’s just got some free stuff!

Even more free stuff, and these are both good Balls!

Quick Balls get a higher catch rate the earlier you toss them in a battle, and Timer Balls rise in catch rate the longer you wait to use them. I find them both pretty handy.

Every Clerk in this game looks like they’re straight out an infomercial about failing basic tasks.

Bad move, pal!

same

Here’s our first onscreen battle with Petlil! Poison Sting is pathetically weak, but it came stock on the Pokemon because of GameFreak’s eternal vow to saddle every early-game Bug or Poison-type with this move.

Anyway here’s Venipede smacking this dork around with the much stronger Poison Tail.

It’s almost a one-hit kill.

You can probably guess how this went.

Always good to have more of these.

Now here’s an ugly matchup for our insectoid buddy. Time to sub in the Grass type.

Randall uses an X-Special, only deepening my distaste for Roggenrola.

It turns out it wouldn’t have mattered, though, it’s still got Sturdy to block OHKOs. Man, Roggenrola, why do you have to do this?

The next trainer is packing a Pokemon we’ve not seen yet, it’s Basculin! Pretty basic fish, but I love its red stripe.

His next Pokemon is Basculin! Pretty basic fish, but I love its blue stripe.

hey wait

So this is the gimmick of Basculin, they have a 50/50 chance to be either Red Form or Blue Form. This actually does affect the Ability they may have, but that’s really all there is to the Pokemon. It’s just...kinda there!

Also it’s kicking the poo poo out of Blitzle, but what else is new?

We’ve already got Pursuit on Venipede, so I don’t double up.

More free stuff!

More specifically, it has the same effect as a Dire Hit, except you don’t have to use it and spend a turn. Not bad.

Edit: I've been informed in the thread that this is actually not quite as potent as Dire Hit!

Now that this floor’s thoroughly cleaned, Jagen’s going to promote himself to Floor 55. He’s taking the initiative.

The ground here has a casual Hyper Potion, which restores 200 HP to a Pokemon. We’ve, uh, got a while before we’ll need this.

Blitzle actually just zaps this thing, and I am rewarded for my faith in my Terrible Striped Horse.

Munna is normally pretty scary, but Crunch pops that tapircular balloon.

(this is the best joke in the update)

This Sewaddle tries to hype itself up with Focus Energy to enhance its Crit Rate!

It went about as well as you’d expect.

Bug Bite is nice, mostly because of the Bug typing. That makes it the strongest move Venipede has right now, since Poison Tail is only 50 Power.

I just wanted to show Steve here slowly fading into nonexistence after his Crit Sewaddle play didn’t pan out. Make better plans, Steve.

Like my plan to evolve this Pokemon at level 22!

Our Venipede is now a Whirly Friend.

This is a better Harden, but it’s not really what I’m looking for, so I let it go.

The second-last trainer on the floor has a different sprite from the previous clerk we encountered. What kind of Pokemon might Pokeorson Welles here be packing?

gently caress

no

depart

I’m going to have to disagree.

An old friend waits for us in the corner!

I just really appreciate the dramatic speech he’s delivering here.

JANITOR GEOFF is a great name. I’m sure he’s got a great team too, and it’s not going to be monkeys again!

Wait.

IT’S THE BOY

next time: :allears: THE BOY! :allears:

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love THE BOY.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
boiiii

Poison Point is purely defensive, sadly. It doesn't make, say, a Tackle into a poison afflicting move. There's romhacks that do that, but not in the vanilla games.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't get the hate for Trubbish. Trubbish and his evolution are pretty great in all the wrong ways.

Blitzle makes me ashamed for liking Electric pokemon the best. :(

I'm also happy to still see Hypnotoad. :woop:

quote:

This is blatantly false. Bar a few exceptions, stone evolutions don't learn new moves naturally. Pokemon, teaching us not to study while stoned since 1996. :unsmith:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't you dare get rid of Blitzle :mad:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Simply Simon posted:

boiiii

Poison Point is purely defensive, sadly. It doesn't make, say, a Tackle into a poison afflicting move. There's romhacks that do that, but not in the vanilla games.

Whoops, that's my bad. I'm not sure which version of the move I was thinking of. It's all fixed up now.

Slaan posted:

Don't you dare get rid of Blitzle :mad:

Blitzle is going to stay around as long as it keeps finding wacky new and exciting ways to be disappointing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My only problem with the boy is that he's clearly grimmer wearing a sheet trash bag and yet does not get the spooky ghost type it wants to be

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Blitzle is going to stay around as long as it keeps finding wacky new and exciting ways to be disappointing.

Hoora- wait a second :eng99:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
My favourite part of the boy is how it makes people lose their minds

A++++ Troll

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
You were probably thinking of Poison Touch, which was introduced in this generation.

Also, minor correction for the Scope Lens: it's slightly less potent than Focus Energy/Dire Hit, being only +1 to critical hit rate rather than +2 (12.5% critical rate versus 25%).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

My only problem with the boy is that he's clearly grimmer wearing a sheet trash bag and yet does not get the spooky ghost type it wants to be

This game already has Litwick's line for its required Cool Ghost Type, the slots were taken.

Slaan posted:

Hoora- wait a second :eng99:

TBH I do play it up a bit in the update commentary, Blitzle does its job just fine against like 80% of Flying or Water opponents. It's just that it seems to have terrible luck, and without the bulk to forgive mistakes, it gets smashed a lot by random threats.

DariusLikewise posted:

My favourite part of the boy is how it makes people lose their minds

A++++ Troll

trubbish is exceedingly powerful

LiefKatano posted:

You were probably thinking of Poison Touch, which was introduced in this generation.

Also, minor correction for the Scope Lens: it's slightly less potent than Focus Energy/Dire Hit, being only +1 to critical hit rate rather than +2 (12.5% critical rate versus 25%).

Whoops, went back and edited, thanks! The Bulbapedia page was a bit unclear, but I mistakenly assumed Dire Hit was a 1 stage raise when it's 2 stages.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LordHippoman posted:

This game already has Litwick's line for its required Cool Ghost Type, the slots were taken.

It also has the Yamask line, right? Over-stuffed with Cool Ghost Types.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't forget Tetsujin 28Golurk!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

AradoBalanga posted:

Don't forget Tetsujin 28Golurk!

I thought that was X/Y

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought that was X/Y

Golurk doesn't approve of your forgetfulness.

People like giving crap to Gen5 for a lot of designs, but there are also a whole bunch of stellar designs in this game.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought that was X/Y

Golett and Golurk come a bit late in B/W and are in a place you probably want to leave as soon as possible (a cave).
But they are unquestionably from the 5th generation - because Golett evolves at level 43.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about that typing in Black/White. I already mentioned Litwick, it's hard not to love Golett and Golurk on sheer novelty value (GHOST ROBOTS) alone, and Yamask/Cofagrigus hit that sweet spot of being kinda unnerving but still being kid-friendly enough for Pokemon.

One of Yamask's pokedex entries is hosed up though, and I can't quite recall if it's in the one in this game, but I'll keep an eye out.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

B/W introduced some cool-rear end ghosts, it's true. Most of the Unova pokedex is pretty drat good, actually.

I am ashamed to admit that I benched my own Blitzle back in the day after it evolved and still kept getting mercilessly beaten up. Maybe if I had believed in him, he would've come into his own :smith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

B/W introduced some cool-rear end ghosts, it's true. Most of the Unova pokedex is pretty drat good, actually.

I am ashamed to admit that I benched my own Blitzle back in the day after it evolved and still kept getting mercilessly beaten up. Maybe if I had believed in him, he would've come into his own :smith:

Considering I did the same to my blitzle I don't think it's a believe problem. Maybe all goons here work together we can pull an earthbound and pray for Hippomans Blitzle. :pray:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Simply Simon posted:

boiiii

Poison Touch is the ability that does this offensively, though I think in Gen 5 the only Pokemon that has it as a non-Dream World/Hidden Ability is Seismitoad, ironically not a poison type. Skrelp/Dragalge pick it up in Gen 6, Grimer-A/Muk-A pick it up in Gen 7.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 29, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Considering I did the same to my blitzle I don't think it's a believe problem. Maybe all goons here work together we can pull an earthbound and pray for Hippomans Blitzle. :pray:

I did too. I'm not sure I can believe strongly enough.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I can lend y'all my believing cos I brought the lightning zebra all the way to the endgame.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Well, since the update is a ways away anyway thanks to some unfortunate timing on my part, I think I'll put it to a quick thread vote.

Believe In Blitzle, Take It To The Endgame

V.S.

Miss Me With That Blitzle, Use Something Else

V.S.

Use Blitzle Until We're All Sick Of Blitzle And We Sub It Out For A Snowflake Or Whatever

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ordinarily I’d say give it at least one chance to shine against a gym leader, but a quick refresher shows that Electric in particular is going to have an average to incredibly lovely time with the next three leaders.

Bench for now, maybe bring it back later?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
While Blitzle is generally pretty cool, there are a lot of awesome pokemon. We should open up some space on the team by benching Blitzle now. (Maybe bringing it back later.)

Solumin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 30, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Regalingualius posted:

Ordinarily I’d say give it at least one chance to shine against a gym leader, but a quick refresher shows that Electric in particular is going to have an average to incredibly lovely time with the next three leaders.

Bench for now, maybe bring it back later?

I too enjoy the secret option not on the ballot.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Bench for now

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Use Something Else

I don't think I've ever seen an LP of this game that didn't use a Blitzle, and I'd like to see one one of the other cool electric types in this gen get used for once.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That’s the other thing, yeah. By the time you reach the one gym where Electric can actually shine, you’ll have access to at least two of the best Electric types from this generation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Well, since the update is a ways away anyway thanks to some unfortunate timing on my part, I think I'll put it to a quick thread vote.

Use Blitzle Until We're All Sick Of Blitzle And We Sub It Out For A Snowflake Or Whatever

Torn between these 2. I mean what are t he odds of finding a special snowflake to take his place. :v:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

LordHippoman posted:

This one.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

LordHippoman posted:

Bring on the traded Petilil imo, now that's a sweet pokemon.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I believe in Blitzle!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Bench that there blitzle, replace it with a Pikaclone

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 12: Jagen Does Urban Exploration

Last time we found Trubbish.

This time, here is Trubbish.

Sadly, we cannot catch it. Dry your tears, our time will come, but for now we must complete The First Sacred Trial Of The Trash Boy, defeating the Trash Boy.

Thankfully he’s not very smart.

Whirlipede couldn’t exactly do much to him, though, so Hypnotoad finishes the job. Goodnight, sweet Garbage Prince, we’ll meet again soon.

Janitor Geoff’s second Pokemon is a Mincinno. Remember this one from the intro? I’d also like to note that the reason Timburr gets poisoned here is because Trubbish used Toxic Spikes, a nasty move that poisons the opponent whenever they switch Pokemon.

Mincinno’s a pretty bog-standard Normal type, so Timburr makes quick work of it, despite the poisoning.

Geoff is also loaded. Nice.

And it turns out the Janitor schtick was all a ruse!

Does this mean Jagen’s the CEO now?

Oh, wow, this is even better!

The EXP Share is a classic Pokemon item. The Pokemon holding it will get a share of experience from every battle you fight, as long as it’s in the party. This is the best way to passively correct experience deficits or train up a new, weak Pokemon.

We’re back to Autumn, by the by.

With the team all healed up, I think it’s about time to survey Castelia City a little more thoroughly.

This is the last street, but let’s check out that building with the green awnings on the right first.

I’ll bet we can analyze things.

Wow. The Unova job market is great.

This is another interesting little side activity. You can fill out very basic surveys and collect answers from other people nearby with the Wireless C-Gear. If you get a bunch of answers, you can get rewards like Balls or curative items. I don’t think this is super feasible unless you were at a convention or something around the year this game came out. So we’ll be ignoring it for the LP.

Okay, he made it weird.

That said, we should spread the word that Jagen is a $ProGamer. (That was supposed to be a hashtag but it’s funnier this way)

Is “Knight Captain” a public official? Sure it is.

Thanks!

Most of the NPCs in Castelia sound like they’re a step away from making Minions memes on Facebook and embarrassing their kids. We’re going to go ahead and head down the street.

This is Gym Street. It’s called Gym Street because...there’s a gym on it.

We won’t be taking Burgh on quite yet. That’ll be the next update, I want to focus on exploring Castelia today.

There’s only one building we can enter on this street.

It is...totally empty.

Hello?

Anybody?

poo poo.

Jagen’s the boss now.

I’m going to be totally honest, I have no idea what this building is for. I couldn’t find any information online either, so I just have to assume they just didn’t want to put anything in it. Someone write a creepypasta about an empty building in Pokemon, that’ll pull in the thread views.

Meanwhile, let’s take a break to learn Japanese.

: Today, I’ll teach you this question to ask when you see a Pokémon that you are interested in!

: So-no po-kay-mo-n do-ko de tsu-ka-mah-e-ta no? Then you can go catch one for yourself! OK, that’s it for today! MINNA, bye-bye!

I hope you learned a lot.

All roads in Castelia eventually converge here,at Central Plaza.

Jagen buys a frankly irresponsible amount of lemonade, and I don’t want to shame him for it.

This guy dancing in front of the fountain has a battle for us!

hey mickey what the gently caress

That’s what I call poetic justice.

The first Poison Tail doesn’t quite defeat the terrible Broccoli Beast, so I toss up a Protect.

This way the poison will win the battle for me.

A well deserved victory, I think.

After defeating the Dancer, he immediately bursts into a spin.

I’ve gotta respect the showmanship.

This opens a bit of a sidequest in Castelia, trying to track down all three dancers and defeating them. You have to speak to Mickey first, or the others won’t battle you.

For example, this guy’s found on Unity Pier, the furthest left from the entrance.

I dispatch of the Terrible Monkey and we head for Narrow Street.

This guy’s having some trouble with the dumpster, I guess.

...I can’t tell, is this supposed to be a crude joke?

Regardless, the last dancer is here as well. That was pretty easy.

This shouldn’t surprise you.

Don’t you slide out of frame on me!

With our mission completed, the now fully staffed dance team will do a synchronized dance in front of this fountain, forever, while that dude with the eyebrows watches, forever. What a beautiful moment. Forever.

Our reward is pretty nice as well! The Amulet Coin is a hold item, and if the Pokemon holding it participates in a battle, the cash payout at the end is doubled. Certainly good to have around, especially in the postgame.

I think this counts as our good deed for the update. Now we can delve into...iniquity.

What sinister iniquity…

This is the only building on Narrow Street.

This never happens when I go to a restaurant in real life. Why is Pokemon America so much cooler?

We’re gonna have so many Lemonades by the end of this update.

This guy and his guitar are relevant to an Event Pokemon that you can’t get anymore. I still like this game a lot, but it’s kind of a lot to take in when you see all the stuff that’s not available anymore. Inevitable march of time and all that, let’s cut the existential dread and get back to Pokemon.

On Mode Street here, Clerks will run up and down the road. You can’t actually talk to them.

But, if you try to stand in their way, they’ll swerve to avoid you. It’s a nice touch!

There’s a very busy ice cream stand here.

I’ve actually got a local ice cream place that only opens in Summer. I’m not sure how common that is anymore, to be honest.

This stand sells Casteliacones, which cure any ailments, like a Full Heal, for 100 Pokedollars. You can only buy one per week, and you can only buy it on Tuesday. That’s a lot of work for a pretty minimal gain, but little things like this really help Black and White feel very alive, and I dig it.

We’ve already appreciated art back in Striaton, but Jagen can only become more cultured.

I don’t get it.

Sir why are you wearing a Clown costume

sir

Well...I’ve got something…

You can play this game with the Clown once a day, and he offers one of any of the status curing Berries. It’s easy enough to do, and the reward’s not huge, but like Casteliacones, it’s an interesting side activity.

This game has a lot of those!

However, we do have a main objective to get back to eventually. I promise, lady, I’ll get to it!

This is Castelia Street, and we’ve got a very familiar sounding building…

I guess we’re going to have a book read to us!

Can’t say we’re familiar yet.

I cut it off a bit, but he also says Zorua’s cute.

Well, I’m sure we can’t puzzle out what might be going on here, let’s move on to the Game Freak offices.

(If you had an Event Celebi that Gamefreak gave out, you could take it here and it would reveal the silent boy to be a Zorua in disguise. Then you got a free Zorua. You know, were you to do this about eight years ago.)

Keep this in mind for later. Much later. End of LP later.

eternal big mood

Thanks to the thread, I’ve noticed quite a few! It’s a little odd that the guitar guy in Castelia doesn’t change the music, though.

Oh poo poo!

Don’t worry, we’re safe, just don’t zoom in on that computer screen.

Keeping up the Pokemon tradition, the game director will have a reward for you if you fill up the Dex. It’s just a certificate that says you did so.

One more building to cover on this street, but first, additional Lemonade.

This woman gives out a free massage once per day.

This raises their Friendship value, which is what Woobat needs to evolve!

Hikers always seem to be the jolliest of NPCs.

My dearest sympathies, receptionist guy.

Up here, another Hiker’s got the Rest TM for us. Rest will put a Pokemon to sleep for two turns, and refill all of their HP.

Is this it?

Dammit. None of the cans have anything. I’m getting out of this terrible building.

This street, north of the Central Plaza, will take us to Route 4, eventually. But first we’ve got a few more buildings to check out.

drat, this must be an exclusive party.

What is going on at this party?

Sir, my Timburr will break you in half and then my Watchog will Look At You.

Thankfully, Jagen is cool enough to get party access wherever he goes.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Wait.

uh.

Google Translate gives me “I’ve got a car now. Thus, the next city is also without orders to touch. Unless I rattle through my driver's license…”

I’m going to make that the Official LP Translation, but I’m sure someone here knows better.

:stonk:

The big city is terrible.

Thankfully, Jagens Pokemon can at least get some flirting tips.

Spanish for “It’s the first time I’ve come here!”, I think.

This guy is stuck dancing in a corner, partially blocking the T.V. This whole party is pretty terrible, it’s probably time to go.

Congrats?

Ooh! Here’s a helpful friend!

The Name Rater will allow us to change the names of any Pokemon we catch ourselves, or rename any of those Pokemon if we choose to. I’m opening the floodgates to any and all name suggestions for any of our Pokemon. Just let me know in the thread!

This German Pikachu, by the way, is the only non-Generation 5 Pokemon we’ll see until the postgame.

Oh, don’t worry, I’ve got that covered.

:smuggo:

Aww, come on.

Well then.

This city gets worse and worse.

Nimbasa sounds like a much cooler place. We’ll have to get there ASAP.

This takes into account the number of Pokemon we’ve Seen, not Caught.

Because we have 25 or more in there, we can snag this reward!

The Eviolite is a pretty cool little hold item that will pretty heftily boost the Defense and Special Defense of the Pokemon holding it, so long as they can still evolve, and haven’t yet. It enables some neat niche strategies, and can help keep unevolved Pokemon slightly more viable.

So if we want to use it on Trubbish...I wouldn’t complain.

This guy will tell you what each of the badges lets you do. It’s not something we’ll need to worry about on a single-player run, though.

As this conversation reminded me, if you look at the badges in your collection, you can get a quote from the leaders! This is the triplets’.

And here’s Lenora.

Here’s the path to the next Route, and for once, we aren’t barred from passing!

No harm in doing a little forward scouting, I suppose…

Most importantly, new Pokemon!

...New Pokemon that I can accidentally destroy!

It should be mentioned that this route has a constant Sandstorm going. The Sandstorm deals a little bit of damage to any Pokemon on the field that isn’t Rock, Ground, or Steel type. It has a few other effects, but they’re mostly edge cases.

Darumaka here is a Fire type, so he takes as bad as we get in this battle.

Speaking of Darumaka, we have one now!

Welcome back, my sandy friend.

I just wanted one that had Intimidate. That’s why I fainted the other one. Please believe me.

As I’m hunting for this final catch, we get a nice Gust replacement for Zoobat.

Eventually, (it’s a 20% encounter rate) we encounter the...Pokemon that can’t hold its pants up?

No, really, that’s what Scraggy does.

Scraggy is...strange. But we have one. And speaking of…

The thread has voted in a break for Blitzle! We need a new party member to handle our next gym battle, and I’d like to use one of these Pokemon! Let’s check them out!

This Darumaka hits 50% harder with Hustle, but has a -20% hit chance on everything. Risky, but rewarding. It won’t evolve until Level 35.

Sandile has got RAD SHADES, as well as Intimidate, but I’m far more interested in the Shades.

Scraggy is Here Too, I Guess.

Feel free to bold your vote, and next time we’ll take Burgh on!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's go Darumaka!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I used a Darumaka on my own playthrough, so I would like to see Sandile shine

Darumaka is pretty good though, I just hate what it looks like.

I know we don't have one yet, but we must enter our inevitable Trubbish in the musical!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Darumaka is the logical choice for a Bug-type gym. Though no doubt that increased miss chance will bite us in the arse at some point!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Since there's already a few votes for Darumaka, I'll jump on that train and ask you to name it Roy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Please tell me you are going to teach Attract to the best snowflake Cryogonal. (Spoiler because it's... kind of hilarious, at least to me? But also sad?)

This is a hard choice! I truly love Scraggy and Sandile, they're two of the strongest designs this gen. But Scraggy will have a hard time standing out in a party with a fight-clown in it already, and I've used Sandile a lot myself.

So Roy the Darumaka it is, I guess.