Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mrenda posted:

It's back to the drawing board for me. I was far too circumspect in what I was doing and in my whorl of language. That's fair, it was an entirely indulgent story where I left rip.

Seeing as there'll be no-one reading I figure it's ok to lay out some of the logic behind it. Madness is definitely a part of it. All the characters (bar maybe Donald, although he has his own issues in this world) have suffered a trauma or mental malady of some sort. It's not enough, or the trigger wasn't enough to cause acute issues, just the type of psychological tripping that pulls someone down slowly in a type of society where individual purpose is lost. The house is a place where everything is provided for them, somewhat a reflection on a society where if not UBI, then at least menial work is available for people who want more but can't achieve it. It's an experiment on what happens when a world is devoid of opportunity but basic comfort is provided for. All the characters have gone a little crazy from such a world (crazy like the awareness we now have of people's troubles in today's post-modern world.) The minutiae and shticks, as it was put, is the evidence of there being nothing more for the characters. They're living and experiencing the triviality of a world without possibility, much as I wanted the reader to.

This doesn't work as a book. So I'll just say thanks to everyone who gave it a go. I'll keep writing but I'll rein in my flights of fancy back to a more normal level in future.

I've been reading this and was planning on finishing it, but I understand if you're not deciding to continue with the project. I think your concept here is sound enough -- "what happens when people are given what they need to survive but not anything else to live for?" -- but the actual writing needs a lot of work on clarity. I admit I have a problem with reading prose as puzzle boxes at times, but as I was reading, I was extremely confused on the basic scenario, and still am: very architectural-horror, but how supernatural is this situation, and how much is just psychological? It's okay to have some mystery, but I think the reader at least needs to be able to build a hypothesis about what's going on.

Another thing to work on is character voice, I think. Each character has quirks, but honestly, the voices all seemed very similar to me, particularly Stephanie and Gemma, who seem to be intended to be wildly different types but whose initial sections read very similarly. If you want to do psychological studies with multiple viewpoints, you really need to have distinct voices for everybody, which is a major challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU