Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

what did i just watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

(reserved for future content???)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:butt:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I still feel like a scandalized matron. And like I need to be on a watch list.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
After all of the comments about the show, I'm really looking forwards to catching episode 1.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

First episode was good and it was a visual tour de force. A lot of the imagery relies on traditional japanese folklore which is a given do to the kappas, but theres also kamaitachi. The music fits with the imagery. The screenwritting feels more like Penguindrum. Like there is an internal monologue that happens at the start of the episode that gets turned on its head when you get more information, except unlike penguindrum the payoff happens on the same episode instead of near the end of the series. Like seriously watch the episode again after you are done and notice how everything changes.

I think the basic theme so far is "Dont hide who you are" similar to Yurikuma. And also similarly, its incredibly gay.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dunno if I ever saw a gayer anime. Think I'm just gonna let this one wash over me and look into all the different takes on what it's about as I go. This first episode was p loaded, it feels p long bc so much wild poo poo is happening and then the emotional hook hits at the end and it started to click. Delighted to see Ikuhara back.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Good username.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pretend I posted that scene from American Dad where Bullock says “Weird stuff! Butt stuff!”

Also make that the thread title.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Holy poo poo I don't have the words for this show.

Edit: It's been several hours and I'm still internally screaming.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 12, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, I thought this was going to end in Amazon Prime (decided to cut off my Prime subscription last month, felt like the right thing to do). Will have to check it out sooner, then!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I kind of get the impression that Ikuhara wanted to make an anime about gay boys and butts and his lawyer was like "If you make every anal scene be about kappas, we can claim it's a show about our nation's cultural heritage and get past the censors."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Kunihiko Ikuhara invented gay men

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't be ridiculous, he only saved them

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Intentionally went into the first episode entirely blind and dear lord was it worth it. Glad to see Ikuhara's back and doing...whatever the hell it is that Ikuhara does.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
i really liked this first episode

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
first episode was probably the most visually appealing thing ikuhara's ever been attached to. i hope the quality of the animation and cinematography doesn't plummet over time. also it was very fun? like it's far more accessible in its ~weirdness~ than utena and penguindrum. instead of expecting you to pay attention from Day One it wants you to just let the wave wash over you

i am now going to write up my effortpost on butts, boxes, and ア

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 12, 2019

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Big fan; not sure what strange version of Persona 5 this is, but big fan.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Aside from the whole butt thing, there's definitely a lot of overlap with Penguindrum - abstract stick figures representing people, a couple of iconic symbols being present everywhere (penguins/kappas and the "desire" marsupial in the hearts), highly stylized transformation sequence, weird behaviors that get put in an entirely unexpected light right at the end, etc.

Since I liked Penguindrum, I am definitely down for this, but I hope this show develops its own distinct identity somewhere down the line. Wouldn't want to see Ikuhara get stuck in a rut.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been a big few weeks for Japanese anal beads what with this and Sekiro.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah this reminded me a lot of Penguindrum but, like, more basic? Penguindrum was a lot of introspective pining love, extreme abstract imagery, apples, crystals, broilers, the whole thing just generally had this veneer of, like, deliberate pretension about it, like it really wanted you to know how subtle it was being, all enigmas and curtains. Whereas Sarazanmai has a similar aesthetic/energy as Penguindrum but the imagery is way more on the nose (as far as we can tell right now????). And also, there's butts.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
i feel like ikuhara's been getting steadily more explicit with his use of motifs since utena. like the rose motif in utena remains pretty mysterious throughout the show--it resonates with various themes and images without ever fully explaining itself. it's been a while since i've watched penguindrum so i'm not super familiar with how the apples and penguins are used, but the destiny diary and the "human broiler" and the subway rail lines as predetermined fate are pretty in-your-face.

then you get to like, yurikuma and its gay dudes counterpart, sarazanmai, and everything is super in your face. the yurikuma girls are secretly tiny bears on the prowl for sweet lesbian honey but they have to pretend they're at war against lesbears or they'll be excluded from society; the sarazanmai boys are in the closetbox about their sexual orientations and turn into flamboyant kappas to express their uh... anal extraction desires.

i guess i basically think penguindrum has more in common with utena in that while a lot of it is about desires, it's also about the idea of your personal freedom to self-determination being pressed and shaped by forces that came before you. having your right to self-determination repressed is obviously part of any LGBTQ story, but in yurikuma and (presumably) sarazanmai, i'm imagining that the focus will end up being more on the actual like, self-acceptance of your who you are.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It could go either way, Penguindrum made it look like Kanba had some feelings that werent right for his sister but then the show spun that around in a completely different direction. Whereas Yurikuma was always physical and sexual in nature.

I seriously doubt Kazuki's desire/connection is physical in nature. Enta definitely has the hots for Kazuki though

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Pretend I posted that scene from American Dad where Bullock says “Weird stuff! Butt stuff!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZnPH2THi3U&t=25s

Put this in the OP also I can’t believe this is not the thread title yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlie_piggie/status/1105005565166542849

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have been watching anime for DECADES now and this may legitimately be the weirdest one yet. Holey moley!

Also there should be a spoiler warning in the op telling people to go in blind. People need to experience this poo poo without preconceptions.

:getin::butt:

I. M. Gei posted:

Seconding this

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I lost interest in PenguinDrum halfway through and never watched YuriKuma but holy poo poo was this a trip and a half. Even if the rest of the episode had been complete garbage (it wasn't, it was great) I would have been 1000% on board after the sentai pose entrance and insert song.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The hell?

???

?

!I liked it!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow this is sure a show

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hmm

Mhmmm

Butts

Yep

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'd forgotten quite how Ikuhara Ikuhara is.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I'd forgotten quite how Ikuhara Ikuhara is.
This is a level beyond Ikuhara. You can call it Ikuhara 2.

Alternately

Ikuhara 2: Ikuharder

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
to think the episode where Nanami becomes fascinated with a cowbell and starts doing cowlike activities at school like chewing grass and pushing a plow, and then transforms into a cow, was all just a practice run for Sarazanmai 22 years later.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

same energy

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah I immediately though back to the cow transformation scene. I loved that montage so much

on a side note i made a post with my predictions for the series. This is mostly for my own enjoyment tbh, i'm still working on a longer post with info about the anime's setting and speculation about the imagery

https://sarazanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/04/predictions-based-on-episode-1.html

motbob
Feb 19, 2009
Sarazanmai: They Turned the Freaking Frogs Gay

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

motbob posted:

Sarazanmai: They Turned the Freaking Frogs Gay

10/10

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009