Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

:gary:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

one of my voice teachers told me that "the best opera singers open their mouths wide enough that you can see both their top and bottom teeth" and seeing this, I wonder if this is what they meant

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://i.imgur.com/dI25b4b.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loIqkxCTEik

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

What belongs in the Best of GoT Youtube compilation? It's gotta have:

-Viserys naming all the dragons
-Shae the funny whore
-"Play with her arse!"
-Everything with Roz
-Podrick Payne's huge cock
-WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS
-Every Sand Snakes scene except the tits
-Olly's whole arc
-The bear and the maiden fair
-Arya deciding to herself whether or not to hide Needle (this is like a five minute scene)
-Danaerys' enemy shouting Monty Python insults
-Terminator chase in Braavos
-TOO OLD
-Yara's abortive rescue of Theon
-The direwolves, who all ended up either killed or forgotten and not mattering in any way
-Cousin Orson
-Grey Worm & Missandei

I'm sure there's lots more I'm forgetting, but then again, I've repressed most of it

- The Cersei/Dany negotiation scene with the dragon just chilling in giant crossbow range
- Every shot of our fearless heroes just standing in place swinging their swords at zombies

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

- The Spice King's wholly justified sassiness.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the direwolves just ended up not mattering at all because only Bran is a warg in the show. But there's a couple pivotal scenes in the first few seasons that involve the direwolves so you can't just cut them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
99% of all the good memorable lines in this show are from seasons 1-5

almost everything after that is someone saying something designed to become a monthlong meme and then forgotten forever

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ghost just appearing alive after the Winterfell battle was really funny.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I still can't believe how fast this show fell from pop culture. I realize we are in the information age of entertainment, but Jesus Christ this show went from "the biggest TV show ever" to a distant memory.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think it’s because something can only really survive so long as people are recommending it. Lots of people when lockdown started were like “now is a great time to rediscover the Wire” or whatever.

Can you recommend this show to anyone in good conscience?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

massive spider posted:

I think it’s because something can only really survive so long as people are recommending it. Lots of people when lockdown started were like “now is a great time to rediscover the Wire” or whatever.

First four seasons probably, though on a relative scale it's like babby's first I, Claudius

E: I might add that seasons 5-6, while cracks were showing all over the place, is still good TV

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 11, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

bobjr posted:

Ghost just appearing alive after the Winterfell battle was really funny.

Almost everyone appearing alive after the Winterfell battle was absolutely ludicrous. Why the gently caress is Bronze Yohn Royce still alive?

Almost every character had multiple shots of them being surrounded/swamped by zombies but in the next scene they're alive and well. Even the Battle of the Bastards wasn't this awful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vichan posted:

Almost everyone appearing alive after the Winterfell battle was absolutely ludicrous. Why the gently caress is Bronze Yohn Royce still alive?

Almost every character had multiple shots of them being surrounded/swamped by zombies but in the next scene they're alive and well. Even the Battle of the Bastards wasn't this awful.

Battle of the Bastards was basically the last good setpiece on the show and at least felt like something halfway sensible, instead of Star Wars on Ice.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Best line of the show was in like S1E3 where King Robert is chasing after serving girls shouting a pervy "I bet you smell like blackberry jam!"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I think Harry Lloyd spent more time doing the lore segments than he did playing Viserys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGi2Ly0oBs

Probably Mark Addy too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQv17T4Rgk

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Pattonesque posted:

99% of all the good memorable lines in this show are from seasons 1-5

almost everything after that is someone saying something designed to become a monthlong meme and then forgotten forever

How can you forget such memorable lines as "She's muh kwean" and "I dun wannet. I nevah 'ave".

Or "BEND THE KNEE"

Or countless "I've got a cock and you don't" jokes between Tyrion and Varys!

Or Cersei's only lines from the last season, "(sipping sounds)".

Or "I know a killer when I see one." (standing amidst the wreckage of a million people that Daenerys literally just killed.)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I wIsH yOu GoOd FoRtUnE iN tHe WaRs To CoMe :downs:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Battle of the Bastards was basically the last good setpiece on the show and at least felt like something halfway sensible, instead of Star Wars on Ice.

the thing they used to do with battles on this show was have everyone act like they weren't a total moron, and when they WERE total morons there was a good reason for it

like Blackwater: Stannis does a sensible thing (a naval landing near the weakest gate) which is countered by Tyrion setting a trap with a variable Stannis did not know about and could not have planned for

Battle of the Bastards has Jon doing a very stupid thing (rushing out to rescue his brother) for an explicable emotional reason (it's his little brother!). Sansa not telling him about the Knights of the Vale is stupid, but you could bash it into place by saying she didn't quite trust Jon yet.

Battle of Winterfell is just characters making incredibly basic errors over and over again. Like, wouldn't it be way cooler if they had the Dothraki wheeling around firing dragonglass arrows out of range of the army of the dead, and having trebuchets and catapults behind the walls firing constantly, and having blazing trenches funneling the wights into the infantry, and just in general having Jon and Dany do everything right and having it still not matter?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

First four seasons probably, though on a relative scale it's like babby's first I, Claudius

E: I might add that seasons 5-6, while cracks were showing all over the place, is still good TV

I feel stupid now but I was really looking forward to how politically interesting the aftermath to Cersei blowing up the sept would be and then uhh there were no consequences for it whatsoever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I feel stupid now but I was really looking forward to how politically interesting the aftermath to Cersei blowing up the sept would be and then uhh there were no consequences for it whatsoever.

don't you know, if you blow up the leader of a faction all their soldiers magically disappear because there are no such things as extended families in westeros

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

The show was never going to have a satisfying final season since on a basic structural level there wasn't enough time left to deal with the white walkers and on top of that they needed to resolve danaerys' storyline as well. You can't have 68 episodes of slowly building threat and have it defeated in 3-6 episodes without it feeling like a wet fart even with good writers. Really the wall needed to fall and have the invasion proper start by the end of season 6 at the absolute latest and when it didn't I knew the show was in trouble. Having said that they also went about the final season with the stupidest possible decisions, especially they got dany / cersei and the white walkers the wrong way round. Dany should have attacked king's landing first, preferably with gradually escalating disregard to civilian collateral damage until she's just outright burning down fortified towns on her way to king's landing and then there's actual conflict as the others can see she's a monster but still need her against the white walkers. Still gonna feel rushed whatever you do though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HBO would've let them have as many seasons as they wanted and not only did they not do that but they also cut the episode length per season down.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

don't you know, if you blow up the leader of a faction all their soldiers magically disappear because there are no such things as extended families in westeros

I love how D&D thought they were properly setting up papa Tarly betraying the Tyrell's a season earlier by having him go ":argh: FOREIGNERS!!1!1!" when having dinner with Sam and Gilly. Yup, that's all the motivation we need. He just hates foreigners oh so much that he would turn a blind eye to the whole family he serves getting the gently caress blown up. Next scene!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Or "I know a killer when I see one." (standing amidst the wreckage of a million people that Daenerys literally just killed.)

LMAO you could just tell that some writer thought of that years ago and they forgot to put it in until the last episode.

I hated how inconsistent Varys became. "Robert's main problem was that he didn't want to rule" vs "Have you ever considered the best candidate is the one who does not want to rule?" only a season later.

lezard_valeth posted:

I love how D&D thought they were properly setting up papa Tarly betraying the Tyrell's a season earlier by having him go ":argh: FOREIGNERS!!1!1!" when having dinner with Sam and Gilly. Yup, that's all the motivation we need. He just hates foreigners oh so much that he would turn a blind eye to the whole family he serves getting the gently caress blown up. Next scene!

Not to mention that Tarly fought for the Targaryens during Robert's Rebellion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is going to sound very :spergin: but the fact that very important seats/lordships remain vacant bugged the hell out of me. There's a new Dornish prince at the 'great' council at the end and they wouldn't even bother naming him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still can't believe how fast this show fell from pop culture. I realize we are in the information age of entertainment, but Jesus Christ this show went from "the biggest TV show ever" to a distant memory.

It's no wonder that DnD lost their follow-up slavery fanfic show, as well as their Star Wars deal. It does suck that they got a big-money Netflix deal instead, but then again Netflix isn't exactly shy about canceling stuff if it doesn't do great for them, and I can't imagine anyone is eagerly anticipating the next thing to come from the guys that tanked GoT.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Vichan posted:

This is going to sound very :spergin: but the fact that very important seats/lordships remain vacant bugged the hell out of me. There's a new Dornish prince at the 'great' council at the end and they wouldn't even bother naming him.

There are two dudes at the final council whom we've never ever seen before

who do they represent?

let's go to the subtitles, where they are helpfully listed as "Man 1" and "Man 2"

which brings up the question of why they're even there

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

There are two dudes at the final council whom we've never ever seen before

Not two.

Five.

The sheer incompetence is staggering.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

LMAO you could just tell that some writer thought of that years ago and they forgot to put it in until the last episode.

I hated how inconsistent Varys became. "Robert's main problem was that he didn't want to rule" vs "Have you ever considered the best candidate is the one who does not want to rule?" only a season later.

The biggest problem with Varys is how he suddenly becomes team Daenarys even though he wasn't in the first seasons or in the books.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pattonesque posted:

the thing they used to do with battles on this show was have everyone act like they weren't a total moron, and when they WERE total morons there was a good reason for it

like Blackwater: Stannis does a sensible thing (a naval landing near the weakest gate) which is countered by Tyrion setting a trap with a variable Stannis did not know about and could not have planned for

Battle of the Bastards has Jon doing a very stupid thing (rushing out to rescue his brother) for an explicable emotional reason (it's his little brother!). Sansa not telling him about the Knights of the Vale is stupid, but you could bash it into place by saying she didn't quite trust Jon yet.

Battle of Winterfell is just characters making incredibly basic errors over and over again. Like, wouldn't it be way cooler if they had the Dothraki wheeling around firing dragonglass arrows out of range of the army of the dead, and having trebuchets and catapults behind the walls firing constantly, and having blazing trenches funneling the wights into the infantry, and just in general having Jon and Dany do everything right and having it still not matter?

The biggest error was having that douchey DP shoot the entire episode with the lens cover of the camera on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Calaveron posted:

The biggest error was having that douchey DP shoot the entire episode with the lens cover of the camera on.

lol yes, that too

Blackwater was fought at night but you could see everything just fine

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vichan posted:

Not quite the same thing. Varys meant that a competent leader drafted into being king would work out as that leader wouldn't have ambition to cloud his judgement. This is different than Robert who didn't have the desire to be king or enough of a sense of responsibility to see to his duties anyway.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Vichan posted:

I watched a Youtube video that highlighted how many times this happened. Brienne or some other main character gets swarmed by five or six wights, just covered in over a thousand pounds of rotting zombie, then someone comes to save them, whacks a single zombie with their sword, and Brienne gets up just fine. Just sloppy, sloppy writing, trying to milk that same amateurish "suspense" scene over and over.

massive spider posted:

gently caress no. I think I said this before, but GoT is unique in that the early seasons seemed REALLY good, but a lot of it was because they were introducing characters and setting up these interesting mysteries and conflicts that the show would revolve around, and so the terrible later seasons retroactively ruined the earlier seasons, because not even a single plot thread or character arc has a satisfying resolution. Like, The Office had some terrible seasons toward the end too, but that doesn't stop you from wholeheartedly telling people to watch the Michael Scott years because they're still hilarious. Dexter turned to poo poo, but the whole series wasn't leading up to finally showing us the ultimate fate of Dexter Morgan, so you can still watch the first few seasons as a fun little adventure show and not worry too much about what comes later.

Anyone who hasn't seen GoT by now has been warned to stay far away, and most of us that DID watch it are sorry we did. :(

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Splendid posted:

I think Harry Lloyd spent more time doing the lore segments than he did playing Viserys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGi2Ly0oBs

Probably Mark Addy too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQv17T4Rgk

They switched up the studio that does the animation for these a couple times and for the life of me I can't understand why. The first style was perfect and the latter ones look like even more like poo poo compared to them.

Captain Splendid posted:

I wIsH yOu GoOd FoRtUnE iN tHe WaRs To CoMe :downs:

This was a good line though, it just got overused.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
See also: Lost

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
At least they avoided Lady Stoneheart

What happened to uncle Benjen?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Algol Star posted:

The show was never going to have a satisfying final season since on a basic structural level there wasn't enough time left to deal with the white walkers and on top of that they needed to resolve danaerys' storyline as well. You can't have 68 episodes of slowly building threat and have it defeated in 3-6 episodes without it feeling like a wet fart even with good writers. Really the wall needed to fall and have the invasion proper start by the end of season 6 at the absolute latest and when it didn't I knew the show was in trouble. Having said that they also went about the final season with the stupidest possible decisions, especially they got dany / cersei and the white walkers the wrong way round. Dany should have attacked king's landing first, preferably with gradually escalating disregard to civilian collateral damage until she's just outright burning down fortified towns on her way to king's landing and then there's actual conflict as the others can see she's a monster but still need her against the white walkers. Still gonna feel rushed whatever you do though.

Yeah.

Given that we know now that this story's climax revolves around an irreconcilable conflict between Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen, then they should have probably met each other sometime before the 7th season. Most great television series have fully completed their runs before this series introduces the two main characters to each other. Complete insanity. And this is after the series handwaved away some of the difficulties in meeting. It's not going to be anywhere near coherent in the books.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

At least they avoided Lady Stoneheart

What happened to uncle Benjen?

I hope Joseph Mawle got paid well to wait five years to shoot like two scenes and then return to his home planet.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mat Cauthon posted:

This was a good line though, it just got overused.

what bugs me about it is that the ensuing fight sucked, and not because it was "tOo cHOrEoGrApHeD" (like a lot of people complained as if choreography were a bad thing ) but because the cinematography was balls.

the stunt supervisor for that scene (aka s8 Night King) uploaded a video on his youtube or instagram were he recreated that same scene with better cuts and shot composition and it looks infinitely better and makes dual wielding vs 6 people and winning actually seem believable.

e: found part of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6QYvPORhs

compared to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aO_CsqfBAo

where for whatever the gently caress reason they decided to pull the camera all the way back to get all the action in one hanging shot

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still mad we never got to see D&D's take on Darkstar