Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Algol Star posted:

The show was never going to have a satisfying final season since on a basic structural level there wasn't enough time left to deal with the white walkers and on top of that they needed to resolve danaerys' storyline as well. You can't have 68 episodes of slowly building threat and have it defeated in 3-6 episodes without it feeling like a wet fart even with good writers. Really the wall needed to fall and have the invasion proper start by the end of season 6 at the absolute latest and when it didn't I knew the show was in trouble.

Once the wall falls down you have to fastrack it though. It's an invasion of an unstoppable force that grows larger all the time, you can't really stretch that out for two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I feel stupid now but I was really looking forward to how politically interesting the aftermath to Cersei blowing up the sept would be and then uhh there were no consequences for it whatsoever.

Yeah the whole thing with the High Sparrow was that as queen Cersei could have had him killed literally any time, except she was scared of the consequences. Welp, killed him no consequences what was the point of that whole story.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I think the point was that she was no longer scared of the consequences.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Well yes but then there weren't any despite that making no sense.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Once the wall falls down you have to fastrack it though. It's an invasion of an unstoppable force that grows larger all the time, you can't really stretch that out for two seasons.

I think a lot of people expected that the white walkers would amount to more. That's why there's all the wacky book theories about their "true" motivations or whatever. It's hard to admit that the ludicrous amount of time it takes to develop this plotline isn't for a higher purpose.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aO_CsqfBAo

where for whatever the gently caress reason they decided to pull the camera all the way back to get all the action in one hanging shot

Starring Neil Patrick Nedness

Also lol that Howland Reed, whom we are told throughout the seasons is second only to Ned in loyalty and honor, in his one appearance on-screen backstabs Arthur Dayne in combat.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I think the point was that she was no longer scared of the consequences.

*D&D*

"We kind of forgot to create consequences"

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well yes but then there weren't any despite that making no sense.

It makes sense that people find "assassinating your political rivals plus hundreds if not thousands of other people in a brutal, fiery explosion" way scarier than "have a guy arrested and executed in the town square." It's the difference between the U.S. backing a coup and just dropping a nuke on someone's house.

I can buy her having control over King's Landing. The problem is she shouldn't have much power beyond that, certainly not enough to make her believable as "the third last player for throne" or whatever. I imagine that if anything like this happens in the books, it won't overrate her power and move quickly to "unceremoniously defeated by a dragon."

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 11, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It'll make sense in the book because fAegon will show up and take Cersei down and be greated like a hero Targ saving the kingdoms from such a horrible monster. Then it'll also make sense that Dany freaks out and goes scortched earth because another Targ beat her to her thrown.

Honestly, a lot was lost by skipping fAegon.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

It'll make sense in the book because fAegon will show up and take Cersei down and be greated like a hero Targ saving the kingdoms from such a horrible monster. Then it'll also make sense that Dany freaks out and goes scortched earth because another Targ beat her to her thrown.

Honestly, a lot was lost by skipping fAegon.

Argon is dumb and it's good he's left out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

lezard_valeth posted:

what bugs me about it is that the ensuing fight sucked, and not because it was "tOo cHOrEoGrApHeD" (like a lot of people complained as if choreography were a bad thing ) but because the cinematography was balls.

the stunt supervisor for that scene (aka s8 Night King) uploaded a video on his youtube or instagram were he recreated that same scene with better cuts and shot composition and it looks infinitely better and makes dual wielding vs 6 people and winning actually seem believable.

e: found part of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6QYvPORhs

compared to:

where for whatever the gently caress reason they decided to pull the camera all the way back to get all the action in one hanging shot

When they recast the Night King I figured, okay, we're for sure getting a kickass showdown between him and Jon or SOMEBODY. Instead he just skewers Theon and we never really see him use his ice halberd thingy at all? So I don't get why they would recast him, unless it was just to save money. The stunt guy did an okay job but the OG Night King looked downright demonic and had some real presence.

His cut of the fight does look much better though, they really dropped the ball on that.

Alhazred posted:

The implication of the White Walkers was that there was more than to them than just marauding ice zombies but so much for that.

Laterite posted:

Also lol that Howland Reed, whom we are told throughout the seasons is second only to Ned in loyalty and honor, in his one appearance on-screen backstabs Arthur Dayne in combat.

I always took it to mean that Ned felt Reed was loyal to him (his liege lord) when he needed it most, not that he was necessarily an all around upstanding guy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Laterite posted:

That’s some realpolitik that isn’t really necessary at that point in the series: the sword guy and Bran are shocked, but Ned just looks tired and finishes the guy off with minimum effort so he can get on with it. Even honor guys know or should know that there are times when it doesn’t matter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That’s some realpolitik that isn’t really necessary at that point in the series: the sword guy and Bran are shocked, but Ned just looks tired and finishes the guy off with minimum effort so he can get on with it. Even honor guys know or should know that there are times when it doesn’t matter.

It's another indicator that Ned is a flawed character, in that he is more or less an enormous hypocrite, as he preaches having traditional, self-serving ideals of honor above all, but is only in his position because of a lucky dagger-stroke to the back. And furthermore you can infer that the lesson he took from this was not the realpolitik of it (power is power), but shame that he tried to make up for later in his life. So he felt a concern to "do what's right" according to his myopic sense of honor, but never really learned politics as they are actually practiced. The worst of it is that he instilled these values in his entire family, leading to their near-destruction when they blindly march to their doom for an entirely imaginary concept of how the world works.

But of course if he were just another Lannister he would've flung baby Jon out the window as a matter of tying loose ends and forgotten the whole episode, so there you go.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

The implication of the White Walkers was that there was more than to them than just marauding ice zombies but so much for that.

After Hardhome it was pretty much impossiu to portray the white walkers as anything but an unstoppable force. You can't show them destroying Hardhome and then show them taking two seasons to attack the north.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

lezard_valeth posted:

what bugs me about it is that the ensuing fight sucked, and not because it was "tOo cHOrEoGrApHeD" (like a lot of people complained as if choreography were a bad thing ) but because the cinematography was balls.

the stunt supervisor for that scene (aka s8 Night King) uploaded a video on his youtube or instagram were he recreated that same scene with better cuts and shot composition and it looks infinitely better and makes dual wielding vs 6 people and winning actually seem believable.

compared to:

Shite choreography is evident in a lot of places. I actually dread one or two people fighting greater numbers because there's always a dozen times where the bad guys could kill our heroes but they're just standing there waiting for their turn to get hit.

Even worse, sometimes the bad guys just fall down for no loving reason.

Some examples are The Last Jedi, The Dark Knight Rises, and Batman v Superman.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Alhazred posted:

After Hardhome it was pretty much impossiu to portray the white walkers as anything but an unstoppable force. You can't show them destroying Hardhome and then show them taking two seasons to attack the north.

Hardhome was definitely thrilling but I hated the fact that they switched from slow zombies to fast ones.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Alhazred posted:

They absolutely could. Remember the early seasons where it took months to get from Winterfell to King's Landing? Even if the zombies march all night, it should still take months for them to work their way south through all the human strongholds. Plenty of time for tension and siege episodes and exploration into the White Walkers' history and motivations. The issue was just a lack of competence and motivation on the part of the showrunners.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Just take all the plots that were going to happen north of the wall and set them in the northlands, somewhere we actually care about. Have some pitched battles, including at the neck, have the north be abandoned, have streams of refugees and skirmishes to slow the walkers down long enough for people to escape. Westeros is the size of South America it can easily take months for the walkers to be coming up to the riverlands. If they'd actually given them brains and a purpose it's be even easier to see them being meticulous and taking their time.

The more I think about it though, all the problems in ASOIAF stem from GRRM's decision not to have a time jump after book 3 because he decided he didn't like them. Much easier to start again with all the pieces where they need to be to begin the climax and explain what you need to with flashbacks. His hubris in deciding it was cheating to not write the interlude and then finding out he can't do it has tanked the series.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Asgerd posted:

I'm still mad we never got to see D&D's take on Darkstar

It's very method, turns out that D&D were Darkstar.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Strong Belwasn’t

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
D&D gave zero fucks about logistics in anything other than a production complexity perspective, they were running a fantasy TV show making factory the script is just there so that the actors have what to say as the set pieces unfurl in the background.

All this discussion about what could have been done better, the script was written with zero artistry by idiots who couldn't give a gently caress about any of this nerd poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Shite choreography is evident in a lot of places. I actually dread one or two people fighting greater numbers because there's always a dozen times where the bad guys could kill our heroes but they're just standing there waiting for their turn to get hit.

Even worse, sometimes the bad guys just fall down for no loving reason.

Some examples are The Last Jedi, The Dark Knight Rises, and Batman v Superman.

odd to single out BvS and not include something like John Wick, especially John Wick 3, unless you're talking about the Knightmare scene in which case you're gonna have to make some sacrifices when you're doing a continuous take

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

emanresu tnuocca posted:

All this discussion about what could have been done better, the script was written with zero artistry by idiots who couldn't give a gently caress about any of this nerd poo poo.

Then why'd they spend an hour sucking themselves off about their story decisions after every episode in behind the scenes

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Aces High posted:

odd to single out BvS and not include something like John Wick, especially John Wick 3, unless you're talking about the Knightmare scene in which case you're gonna have to make some sacrifices when you're doing a continuous take

Yeah I think it's the nightmare scene where there's a guy that could unload an assault rifle magazine in Batman's back but just stands there waiting to get hit.

Of course continuous takes will have this kind of thing happen, so don't use them. Just sucks the immersion out of the movie.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Then why'd they spend an hour sucking themselves off about their story decisions after every episode in behind the scenes

Especially telling how that stopped happening near the end.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I dont know if there's a lot of crossover between fans of GoT and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but there's a nice burn on season 8 writing in their interactive special that just came out.

it's a "choose your own adventure" story with "wrong" choices. one of which, if you select winds up with a mole woman saying Okay, I don’t think that was the right ending, but I don’t know, I’m not a writer. I mean, I was on staff for the last season of Game of Thrones. They did all my ideas!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had a lot of fun with that Kimmy Schmidt thing. I hope Netflix does a lot more of those choose your own adventure things. Black Mirror and that were pretty great. Also choosing the same "wrong" answer over and over gets you different outcomes sometimes.

Pro tip: try to skip the intro song

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Asgerd posted:

I'm still mad we never got to see D&D's take on Darkstar

D&D probably thought he was too cool to make the screen. A brooding evil Red Viper? He would be the most beloved character ever! I say this realising we never got ~~DaaRIO~~

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Strong Belwasn’t

I stopped watching the show at the exact point when I realized Strong Belwas was never going to be on screen. Not even a background character munching on some bugs. That's when I knew the show was hosed up.

In hindsight, it's a blessing he never got ruined by the show.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imo D&D made the right choice leaving out a bunch of GRRMs terrible book 4 and 5 characters.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I had a lot of fun with that Kimmy Schmidt thing. I hope Netflix does a lot more of those choose your own adventure things. Black Mirror and that were pretty great. Also choosing the same "wrong" answer over and over gets you different outcomes sometimes.

Pro tip: try to skip the intro song

I didnt realize there was a "choice" on the song since it looked like the regular "skip intro" button. You gotta be off your poo poo to ever skip it, so i never did/do.

I learned about it later and had to insist my wife skip the song when she watched it. Y'all should skip song for sure.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

compared to:

Both of these look like rear end to me. They don't look like a fight at all and more like a spastic dance where the stuntmen calmly go through a list of moves together and I'm just sitting around waiting for the move where on of the actors pretends to be hit and die. There is zero tension for me. Compare that to a real fight or boxing where no one has any idea where things will go from moment to moment and every decision has real consequences.

Now, I understand why a film production can't just give two unprotected stuntmen metal prop swords and tell them to go at it, but there are other ways to create tensions in fights through writing and direction. I wish Hollywood would move more towards these instead of doing this boring spastic star wars kid flaying around that we see in almost every action movie nowadays.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yeah a good fight scene is action and reaction, constantly evolving, not just clanging swords until you decide the scene is over.

Here's how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClOxgyWLs8

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rob Roy duel compared to Viper v. Mountain is very depressing to see how far we’ve fallen

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Also gently caress the Red Viper, he got what his hubris owed him

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Dunno, oberyn was purposefully showboating so I think that fight is fine. Everything up to the blackwater is the best though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

At least they avoided Lady Stoneheart

What happened to uncle Benjen?

Assuming he turned to dust when Ice King got McGuffined.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah a good fight scene is action and reaction, constantly evolving, not just clanging swords until you decide the scene is over.

Here's how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClOxgyWLs8

The bit with the monk's spade is such an unexpected moment of slapstick, I love it. Especially the look of panic from Zhang Ziyi,who clearly has no loving idea how to counter it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this talk and no one posted the best fight scene in the history of film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Eat This Glob posted:

I didnt realize there was a "choice" on the song since it looked like the regular "skip intro" button. You gotta be off your poo poo to ever skip it, so i never did/do.

I learned about it later and had to insist my wife skip the song when she watched it. Y'all should skip song for sure.

Yeah I hit a lot of the options on my first go, but I've never once skipped intro on Kimmy.