Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
There's a book coming out about making of the series. There are some amazing things in it, it seems.

quote:

George R.R. Martin: “So we’re by this little brook. They tied the horses to the trees and there’s a seduction scene by the stream. Jason Momoa and Tamzin are naked and “having sex.” And suddenly the video guy starts to laugh. The silver filly was not a filly at all. It was a colt. And it was getting visibly excited by watching these two humans. There’s this horse in the background with this enormous horse schlong. So that didn’t go well either.”

quote:

George R.R. Martin: “The biggest thing was Dan and David called me up and had the idea of eliminating Rickon, the youngest of the Stark children, because he didn’t do much in the first book. I said I had important plans for him, so they kept him.”

GRRM talks about horse cocks and D&D didn't want Rickon to be in the series at all, were told that he's gonna be important and in the end Rickon was in but did nothing of importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Have there been other cases of a TV series starting out as a total cultural powerhouse to going out on a whimper?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:lost:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

to a certain extent but GoT dominated pop culture and social media for a full decade. Now it's like it never happened

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The original run of Twin Peaks?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Have there been other cases of a TV series starting out as a total cultural powerhouse to going out on a whimper?

Maybe Lost or House or the X-files? They were all huge in their prime and lost their luster or faded away. I like post molder x files but a lot of people didn't.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dexter was big but not really on that level. ER was the biggest show there was in the mid-90s but as one actor after another left but the show kept on a-going, it became an afterthought.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Binging the show right now and doing a LOL at the child actor having a sex scene. Yet somehow Cuties is the one in the crosshairs?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The first run of Penny dreadful had a pretty dismal end as well. That show had great atmosphere but completely threw it out the window in the last five episodes. The big bad guy didn't even get killed, instead he walked out of the room off screen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rickon being on cannibal island could have been a fun filled episode

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mantis42 posted:

The original run of Twin Peaks?

yeah no one talks about twin peaks anymore nor was it influential in any way whatsoever. David Lynch deffo on the same level as D&D. Good call op.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I would also be curious about what happened with Dallas. Like I only know about the show from The Simpsons spoof, but as I recall that cliff hanger was A Big DealTM

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

The first run of Penny dreadful had a pretty dismal end as well. That show had great atmosphere but completely threw it out the window in the last five episodes. The big bad guy didn't even get killed, instead he walked out of the room off screen.

There's a lot of goofy stuff going on in Penny Dreadful season 3 where a picture is painted of a showrunner nuking his own show in a hurry (despite denials) because he's been told he's only getting this one last season. Unlike GoT, which took a couple of seasons for the life to fully leave its bones, Penny Dreadful does a nose dive.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Binging the show right now and doing a LOL at the child actor having a sex scene. Yet somehow Cuties is the one in the crosshairs?

Are you talking about Maisie Williams? She was like 22 years old.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

thexerox123 posted:

Are you talking about Maisie Williams? She was like 22 years old.

The actor, sure. But doesn't the MPAA consider what the actors are depicting? I'd swear I've seen ratings for like "Teen Drug Use" even though it's a bunch of 27 year old jabronis pretending to be high schoolers

Didn't bother me since it's all make believe, but that was definitely sex between a child and an adult

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How does age as a number ever work in westeros with the hosed up seasons and all?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Probably not even relevant, since there's no such thing as consent, and you're sexually available once you've had your Moon Blood or whatever they call it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bioshuffle posted:

Lost kicked rear end the entire time, anyone that didn't like the final season was an uncultured fool :colbert:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It felt like JJ was salty that people predicted the "dead the whole time" thing and made it the final season twist instead

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

How does age as a number ever work in westeros with the hosed up seasons and all?

You can track years by the progression of the sun and changing stars and stuff. Or they invented calendars way back and really stuck to them

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

How does agriculture work? How does Mance Rayder field an army of 100,000 warriors (warriors, not just people--implying hundreds of thousands more out there) when they appear to live on permafrost?

https://www.livescience.com/18972-earth-seasons-tilt.html

quote:

Forget modern technology, the steam engine, or sliced bread. In a world without seasons, there wouldn't even be wheat. According to Don Attwood, an ecological anthropologist at McGill University in Montreal, humans would probably never have advanced past a state of living in small, scattered settlements, scrounging for survival and often dying of horrific insect-borne diseases.

Scientists think an Earth without a tilt would be stratified into climate bands that would get progressively colder as you moved away from the equator. Humans would never survive the continuous winter of the high latitudes, and so we would likely congregate in the planet's tropical midsection. Fortunately, as things are, Earth's tropical zones tend to have minimal temperature and day-length variability over the course of the year, and so these regions can serve as archetypes for what a seasonless Earth might be like.

What's the forecast?

If the habitable world were a humid tropical zone like the rain forests of the Congo, unrelenting rainfall would quickly erode soil in any areas cleared for farming, and would leach nutrients down below root level, swiftly rendering tilled land infertile for crops.

"The result is that humans (so far) can only live with low population densities supported by shifting agriculture, or something like it, in most of the humid lowland tropics," Attwood told Life's Little Mysteries. "Low population density and low agricultural productivity result in small, scattered settlements. The amenities of modern civilization cannot be built on such a foundation."

On top of our problems with agriculture, humans would also be plagued by disease pathogens, which thrive in warm, humid environments. "Winter protects much of the world's population from tropical insects (which carry deadly diseases) and a long, nasty list of tropical diseases of humans, crops and livestock. HIV is one virus that has escaped its tropical forest home. Many others, like the Ebola virus, are waiting for their chance," Attwood said. "Human mortality and morbidity rates (due directly to disease and indirectly to hunger) would go through the roof." [10 Species Our Population Explosion Will Likely Kill Off]

If, on the other hand, Earth were unwaveringly warm and dry like the Arabian Peninsula, our species would be even worse off, or extinct. "As should be evident, the arid tropics have even less potential for supporting large, complex societies," Attwood said, "except in Dubai, etc., where people live entirely on fossil energy from their oil wells."

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The actor, sure. But doesn't the MPAA consider what the actors are depicting? I'd swear I've seen ratings for like "Teen Drug Use" even though it's a bunch of 27 year old jabronis pretending to be high schoolers

Didn't bother me since it's all make believe, but that was definitely sex between a child and an adult

HBO actually sent out an awkward tweet a few hours before or after the episode aired reminding everyone that Arya was 18 years old by that point in the story.

Here it is:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hbo_uk/status/1119989670182576128?lang=en

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Daenerys is 13 in S1. :stonk:
(According to the book.)

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It felt like JJ was salty that people predicted the "dead the whole time" thing and made it the final season twist instead

He barely had anything to do with the show after the pilot.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

It's not gone yet, but The Walking Dead would be a good example.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bioshuffle posted:

The fact that no one's remembered it yet is a good sign I'm on to a winner here:

Heroes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

It's not gone yet, but The Walking Dead would be a good example.

lol excellent point, how is that even still going?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'd say the Battlestar Galactica remake, but tbh that wasn't the media cultural juggernaut that the others are.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

lol excellent point, how is that even still going?

It’s in the name of the show

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Does anything really 'stick' in the public consciousness these days? Trump was impeached 8 months ago and it feels like ancient history.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People still say "sweet summer child"*, that's kind of a lasting legacy

*No your southern auntie didn't used to say it before GoT. And that quote you're gonna google is from an old poem where it was used as a metaphor for "the wind", not naivety

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Captain Splendid posted:

The fact that no one's remembered it yet is a good sign I'm on to a winner here:

Heroes

Just absolutely this.
Everyone talked about series 1 then series 2 just....vanished the show forever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oliwan posted:

yeah no one talks about twin peaks anymore nor was it influential in any way whatsoever. David Lynch deffo on the same level as D&D. Good call op.

I mean in the way the ratings just completely collapsed in season 2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone agrees in real time on the show*. They even purposely pointed out Arya was 18 a couple days before her sex scene.

*except for Gilly's kid which stayed a baby for five years.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Sure, kid lived in a fridge

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Solice Kirsk posted:

*except for Gilly's kid which stayed a baby for five years.

Maybe time was actively distorted at the wall? Explains the baby, the season-spanning weekend excursions north of the wall, and of course the Drogon 747 rescuing them from the lake

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

thexerox123 posted:

Daenerys is 13 in S1. :stonk:
(According to the book.)

They're aged up in the show.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
No, the gross thing about the scene isn't the book character's age, nor the actress's final age---it's the actress's original age when she was first hired, and also her apparent age in season 1. If you know hollywood and how much child exploitation there is behind the scenes, and if you know D&D's type, you know it was something they had calculated out since her very first audition which was god knows how early.

Anyway no, no other single show dominated an entire decade of popular media conversations in history like this. Only to become despised by the public overnight. It's historic. It's not easy to do that. You pretty much have to take something historically amazing (the GoT books so far) and then make as many indefensible decisions as went into CATS the movie, which is what happened.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It's a little bit like how Mass Effect 3 ended -- if it was just OK or predictable everyone would have ultimately been fine with it. But in both cases they screwed up in ways that cause them to nose-dive out of popular culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Pattonesque posted:

It's a little bit like how Mass Effect 3 ended -- if it was just OK or predictable everyone would have ultimately been fine with it. But in both cases they screwed up in ways that cause them to nose-dive out of popular culture

Wow, yeah I forgot about that one. Then the spin-off tanked even harder.