Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

As Nero Danced posted:

The first run of Penny dreadful had a pretty dismal end as well. That show had great atmosphere but completely threw it out the window in the last five episodes. The big bad guy didn't even get killed, instead he walked out of the room off screen.

I started watching Penny Dreadful because I heard about how badly they botched the last season and it's true. It's all true. The first season is really really good with a great cast, great atmosphere, etc. Second season is shaky but solid and they turn the baroque horror stuff up to 11 in a completely shameless way, but it works. The third season is so bad that I don't even want to watch the new spinoff that is coming out.

The image of Patty Lupone dual wielding pistols is seared into my brain and I fear it will never be expunged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Edit: bah, nevermind. Getting worked up over something that's definitely not worth any more time. I still hate that season, :argh:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I started watching Penny Dreadful because I heard about how badly they botched the last season and it's true. It's all true. The first season is really really good with a great cast, great atmosphere, etc. Second season is shaky but solid and they turn the baroque horror stuff up to 11 in a completely shameless way, but it works. The third season is so bad that I don't even want to watch the new spinoff that is coming out.

The image of Patty Lupone dual wielding pistols is seared into my brain and I fear it will never be expunged.
The new Penny Dreadful already came out and was canceled after the first season. Don't feel bad for not noticing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

The fact that no one's remembered it yet is a good sign I'm on to a winner here:

Heroes

Oh drat yeah that was a good one "I hate heroes"

True Blood also had a very bad ending. And Sons of Anarchy, although really most of that show was bad but it did appear to be popular

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sons of Anarchy is one of the few shows that I truly gave up on. I enjoyed the first 2.5 seasons but towards the end of season 3 it was just starting to get loving stupid with people backstabbing each other left and right. Then I got to season 4 and I think I dropped it after the doctor-girlfriend got some perfume or something from the creator-insert and the episode ends with her masturbating after smelling it. I've suffered through a lot of garbage (I watched all of GoT) but SoA was where I realised that I don't have to suffer through poo poo if I'm not enjoying it

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The last two seasons of Boardwalk Empire became this meandering blur to me. Did that show have any kind of pull?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mass Effect didn't die because of Mass Effect 3, Mass Effect died because Andromeda was godawful. There was still enormous hype about the game and chance to revisit the setting/game-style 'clean' of the original trilogy's story but the game was bad and didn't sell and so that was the end of that.

e: the original trilogy remaining so popular that they bothered to do a graphics remaster so they could sell it again

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Mass Effect didn't die because of Mass Effect 3, Mass Effect died because Andromeda was godawful. There was still enormous hype about the game and chance to revisit the setting/game-style 'clean' of the original trilogy's story but the game was bad and didn't sell and so that was the end of that.

e: the original trilogy remaining so popular that they bothered to do a graphics remaster so they could sell it again
Andromeda was a meh story and a relatively insipid game-play, so i wouldn't say it was bad, just that it was loving mediocre. Add the fact they put forward their women to take most of the blame for everything that went wrong in the production (jesus that animation) and accuse everyone pointing out it wasn't a really AAA quality of being a chud torturing women in a trump's rape center and, surprise, it killed the franchise's future.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Happy Thread posted:

No, the gross thing about the scene isn't the book character's age, nor the actress's final age---it's the actress's original age when she was first hired, and also her apparent age in season 1. If you know hollywood and how much child exploitation there is behind the scenes, and if you know D&D's type, you know it was something they had calculated out since her very first audition which was god knows how early.
I doubt that level of planning, or indeed any planning at all, went into this show's 8th season

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Not by season 8 they weren't, but season 1 D&D were still heavily interested in their own show... the point is that's how early they were probably quietly joking to each other about Maise's 18th birthday coming around before "the tits and rear end show" would end. We have no way of knowing it wasn't even factored in at audition time. It takes a certain kind of people to make hiring choices that even leave themselves open to such questions being speculated about.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

THE BAR posted:

The last two seasons of Boardwalk Empire became this meandering blur to me. Did that show have any kind of pull?

It seems the showrunner just lost interest in the project at some point, leading to the last two seasons (and especially the last in particular) feeling off.

Not showing the downfall of Arnold Rothstein was unforgivable.

Happy Thread posted:

Not by season 8 they weren't, but season 1 D&D were still heavily interested in their own show... the point is that's how early they were probably quietly joking to each other about Maise's 18th birthday coming around before "the tits and rear end show" would end. We have no way of knowing it wasn't even factored in at audition time. It takes a certain kind of people to make hiring choices that even leave themselves open to such questions being speculated about.

IIRC they started setting their plot points in stone after season 4/5 when it became apparent that GRRM couldn't be bothered to finish the story himself. This was also the point where Jon ending the threat of the Others was changed into Arya because 'it just didn't feel right.'

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The show's plot has got nothing to do with the issue

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Happy Thread posted:

The show's plot has got nothing to do with the issue

We have no way of knowing that for sure.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The time skip between the last two seasons of Boardwalk Empire was dumb as hell. Also a shame how weak the show ended because the Nucky flashbacks are actually really affecting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Happy Thread posted:

"These people are disgusting because in my imagination they were thinking about doing a nude scene 9 years later when they hired this child actor, and you can't prove they didn't have secret disgusting conversations about it so it's definitely true."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

In James Hibberd’s new Entertainment Weekly article sharing some tidbits from his upcoming book, “Fire Cannot Kill a Dragon,” he reveals that showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss gave him three reasons why Stoneheart was cut from the televised tale.

1. Benioff explained they didn’t want to include the character because of “things coming up in George’s books that we don’t want to spoil.”

2. The showrunners knew they had Jon Snow’s resurrection coming up and they didn’t want to lessen the impact of that.

3. They didn’t want to weaken the impact of the Red Wedding, the powerful Season 3 scene where Catelyn Stark was betrayed and killed.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/the-reason-lady-stoneheart-game-of-thrones-194513041.html

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
we didn't want to spoil the books that we were already one hundred percent spoiling

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bleck posted:

we didn't want to spoil the books that we were already one hundred percent spoiling

Also "we didn't want to lessen the impact of the Red Wedding" which is why we made the Boltons totally invincible and did away with the Freys in a single scene after pretty much ignoring them for seasons because we cut out a huge subplot that deals with the aftermath.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also Lady Stoneheart barely counts as Cat Stark, she's an insanely vengeful wraith, not the Cat we've known and loved for 3 seasons.

Whereas when Jon comes back he's....exactly the loving same.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Also Robb would still be dead, and that was the game changer

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah I don’t see how the impact of the Red Wedding is hurt by Lady Stoneheart, if anything it’s biggest problem is it’s a lot of background scenes and Jaime would have had to focus on the Riverlands instead of the Dorne plot. Which might have been the better call since Dorne was so bad.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bobjr posted:

Yeah I don’t see how the impact of the Red Wedding is hurt by Lady Stoneheart, if anything it’s biggest problem is it’s a lot of background scenes and Jaime would have had to focus on the Riverlands instead of the Dorne plot. Which might have been the better call since Dorne was so bad.

I'd say it's pretty charitable to even say what happened in Dorne had a plot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The new Penny Dreadful already came out and was canceled after the first season. Don't feel bad for not noticing.

drat, that's unfortunate. I remember seeing promos for it everywhere but it never really showed anything sufficient to erase the stink of the first run.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

As Nero Danced posted:

I'd say it's pretty charitable to even say what happened in Dorne had a plot.

The showrunners kind of forgot about the Dorne

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Bringing characters back from the dead generally sucks rear end and is for cowards and D&D would have biffed it hard, just like they did with Jon Snow.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
you want a good story, but you need the bad plot

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remember when Lena Headey trolled Instagram about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Van Dis posted:

Bringing characters back from the dead generally sucks rear end and is for cowards and D&D would have biffed it hard, just like they did with Jon Snow.

Imagine if there'd been some tension about it! Imagine if they hoped it would work, but we'd seen the terrors of him coming back wrong. Gosh, I might have actually cared.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember. I also remember in a big group interview after S3 Michelle Fairly was asked what it's like not being on the show anymore, and she loving falls apart all shifty-eyed "uhh...yeah...its....cos I dont get scripts any more" and Sam's actor is cracking up and Richard Madden has to cover for her cos she's gonna give the game away.

Those were fun days.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Piell posted:

The showrunners kind of forgot about the Dorne

I don't think they forgot, I think they just recognized that the second unit director in Spain was doing a notably bad job even for the show and just cut it to shed sunk costs.

Edit:

I'm not sure what sort of permission is necessary to film on site in the royal alcazar palace but it might have not been worth getting it again.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 24, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Laterite posted:

you want a good story, but you need the bad plot

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

IIRC this was in a magazine before season 4 aired.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview Masie Williams did where she said that she was given complete choice over how much she wanted to show in that scene.

And it's a good scene and fits in with 'episodes 1 and 2 of season 8 are actually really good'. We are shown that Arya has not been consumed by her murder-assassination drive and is starting to pursue her own wants again. She wants to live through this battle.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Man I just finished season 1. This show had so much potential. Season 1 sets up SO MUCH and none of it pays off or is satisfying in the end. It's nuts. I've already seen the drat show but still got excited watching S1 but then remembered where it ends up

sucks

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
But that sucks because it means Arya gets all the cool abilities of being a faceless assassin with none of the downsides. The thematic throughline of the self-destructive nature of revenge gets thrown out and we instead get her slaughtering the Freys with no consequence to the plot or her character, and then her entire arc sputters out as she suddenly decides that revenge isn't worth it, despite not really having suffred many consequences in the pursuit of it.

At the start of the show pretty much every adult character is carrying around baggage from Robert's Rebellion or other past events that defines their characters and drives their decision making, and by the S8 poo poo like 'dying and coming back from the dead' and 'murdering an entire family' slide of characters like water off a ducks back.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JustaDamnFool posted:

But that sucks because it means Arya gets all the cool abilities of being a faceless assassin with none of the downsides. The thematic throughline of the self-destructive nature of revenge gets thrown out and we instead get her slaughtering the Freys with no consequence to the plot or her character, and then her entire arc sputters out as she suddenly decides that revenge isn't worth it, despite not really having suffred many consequences in the pursuit of it.

At the start of the show pretty much every adult character is carrying around baggage from Robert's Rebellion or other past events that defines their characters and drives their decision making, and by the S8 poo poo like 'dying and coming back from the dead' and 'murdering an entire family' slide of characters like water off a ducks back.

Some of the characters are locked into their negative behaviours and can't escape them (Cersei, Danny, etc), while some do get to escape them (Arya, Sansa, Theon, probably Jon, probably book-Tyrion). I think exploring capacity to grow and change their path is a core theme of the story GRRM is telling. It's about whether the character has the willingness to step back from the brink.

e: in particular one aspect of that is 'are children doomed to repeat their father's mistakes?' Dany absolutely falls foul of the Targaryen curse. The tragic irony of Jon's arc is that to do the right thing and escape his Father's (I mean Ned) failure and fate when in basically the same situation, he has to give up his instinct for an honourable open confrontation and betray Dany's trust to murder her.

These are good character arcs, the show botches them but I think they're where GRRM wants the story to go.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 25, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Some of the characters are locked into their negative behaviours and can't escape them (Cersei, Danny, etc), while some do get to escape them (Arya, Sansa, Theon, probably Jon, probably book-Tyrion). I think exploring capacity to grow and change their path is a core theme of the story GRRM is telling. It's about whether the character has the willingness to step back from the brink.

I guess going over the ledge here would be feeding everyone in King's Landing pies filled with their own poisoned thumbs while their dead grandparents look on approvingly

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like the finale was exactly how GRRM intended on ending the books, and actually getting there was the harder part for him. Then the show rushed it, fumbled half the arcs, missed half the essential characters while botching their own playing pieces (like the Night's King, and a Cersei who lived instead of FAegon), and now GRRM is in a cold sweat because now he knows everyone hates that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

Man I just finished season 1. This show had so much potential. Season 1 sets up SO MUCH and none of it pays off or is satisfying in the end. It's nuts. I've already seen the drat show but still got excited watching S1 but then remembered where it ends up

sucks

Before season 8 I rewatched the show while skipping any boring/bad scene and though I had a bunch of Essos garbage in the good seasons I skipped it was funny how much quicker I was getting through seasons the further I got into the series.