Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how the meaning of titles shifts and warps constantly too. Like how Jon goes through Lord Snow (pejorative) to Lord Snow (respectful) and also Crow (pejorative) to Lord Crow (respectful). Or how Kingslayer absolutely deserves to be a badge of honour

yeah it's really good poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zeta Acosta posted:

Tolkien really needed to write about how Frodo almost shitted himself after being bitten by Shelob imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3H-FjEhkw

Wow, this man is a genius only like an elon musk or Chris roberts

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hello I refuse to watch this show based on how bad they hosed up the last season, or so I've been told!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Google Butt posted:

hello I refuse to watch this show based on how bad they hosed up the last season, or so I've been told!!

drat yooouuu!

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Google Butt posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Google Butt posted:

you've been told wrong, start watching asap and avoid spoilers if possible

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If you come in prepared, knowing the last seasons are crap they are worth watching for the spectacle alone. Just don't expect catharsis or sensible character arcs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The earlier seasons are still some of the best TV of all time, there's nothing close to them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I haven't even considered rewatching one ep since seeing that finale live. Don't think I ever will either

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

The earlier seasons are still some of the best TV of all time, there's nothing close to them.

I've posted it before but prior to the last season I rewatched the show skipping when it'd be something lame or boring and it was pretty funny how much faster I got through seasons 5-7. Think it took less time getting through all them than any of the earlier seasons on their own.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

When will we get the show George RR really wants to make, characters eating insane amounts of food and then making GBS threads their colons inside out for 30 minutes?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Vegetable posted:

nah

I mean, you're right, they were really good, but they were good because they were introducing all these characters and plots that you wanted to learn more about. When it turned out that all the characters are stupid and inconsistent and all the plots get wrapped up in the dumbest way imaginable, it retroactively made the earlier seasons unwatchable, because now we know that none of it is worth caring about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but for someone that hasn't seen it yet that won't be a problem and the first three seasons are pretty great.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Look, if I'd been in a coma for the last decade and someone came up to me and said "hey, you'll love the first few seasons of this show because they really get you invested in all these interesting plots and characters, although it turns into a trainwreck by season 5 and none of the plots or characters have satisfying resolutions so all your investment feels like wasted emotion," I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of stuff to catch up on, let alone calling it "some of the best TV of all time".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think the best compromise is to watch the first season and imagine that after its production wrapped up all the writers died in a terrible plane crash.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You could just treat the Red Wedding as the climax of the series and stop after the finale if you need a good endpoint.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

You can call it quits after s5 and it kind of works, kind of. I like to do that with shows, pick an alternate ending. Mad Men coulda (shoulda?) ended after s5, and that really changes the show's arc. Westworld absolutely should have ended after s1.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Season 5 is when the show falls off a cliff (season 4 is still pretty good but not a great endpoint). And absolutely Westworld should've ended after the first season.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Google Butt posted:

Go watch Barry instead

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Most are in agreement that 4 is the last great season. Every season after is a continuous step down.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Go watch Barry instead

This is the correct answer.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They should have just made Jaime and Bronn’s adventure in Dorne with the Sand Snakes a pure comedy adventure.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Westworld is the real GOT finale imo

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

bobjr posted:

They should have just made Jaime and Bronn’s adventure in Dorne with the Sand Snakes a pure comedy adventure.

It wasn't?

I thought Theon had an okay character arc. He managed to not be present during some of the stupidest moments, didn't backtrack except the times it would make sense to do so and died just before the show reach terminal velocity of its quality drop.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Tragically, post season 5 Game of Thrones has some of the best music I've heard in a tv series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LASz6HAL7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34Xa6DGi4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeYNHwRswYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1frgt0D_f4
and the unreleased Daenerys theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K318JWc85Dk

Ramin Djawadi did some serious heavylifting

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 7, 2021

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I always felt everything about Theon was supremely unsatisfying. His quick turn on Robb, his interminable torture, the wet fart that was the entire Iron Islands inclusion in the storyline at all... none of it lands. The books at least flesh out Theon's role as a postwar diplomatic pawn and give some credence to his actions, but the show would have been way better if he had simply been left out.

"You're a good man, Theon," Bran says, omitting "you murdered some kids but they weren't the main characters so it's okay, and then a weird guy cut your knob off and now I love you."

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yeah I don't share the feeling most have that Theon's ending was a satisfying one. His redemption arc should have involved Ramsay or discount Jack Sparrow in some manner

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That added scene of Theon writing Rob a warning letter and then burning it added tons to his character. Putting out there early his ability to swing to the good side. Theon probably has the most complete arc of any character in the show.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

Theon probably has the most complete arc of any character in the show.

I guess, but that's not saying much seeing how things turned out

speaking of deleted scenes, a lot of early seasons deleted ones were....puzzling. Like Tywin and Pycelle's speech is soooo good in explaining Pycelle's motivations and they removed that in favor of more Pod the Rod scenes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, totally agree there. Most polished turd in the latrine or whatever.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I gotta be honest, all the Pod the Rod scenes were just eye-rollingly cringy to me...I don't know what made them more cringy than anything else but...there you have it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

An insane mind posted:

I gotta be honest, all the Pod the Rod scenes were just eye-rollingly cringy to me...I don't know what made them more cringy than anything else but...there you have it.

Male gazey writers writing what male gazey writers think is funny. It's also so out of tone with the rest of the show that it's painful.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

An insane mind posted:

When will we get the show George RR really wants to make, characters eating insane amounts of food and then making GBS threads their colons inside out for 30 minutes?

We got that in a way. Have you forgotten Sam's montage in Oldtown

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKirbs posted:

I thought Theon had an okay character arc. He managed to not be present during some of the stupidest moments, didn't backtrack except the times it would make sense to do so and died just before the show reach terminal velocity of its quality drop.

Alfie Allen was also phenomenal even by the standards of the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Was great finding out his sister made a song about what a loser he was.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Theon and the Hound are pretty much the only characters that S7 and S8 did not ruin.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Theonn won a fight by not having any balls.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

kater posted:

Theonn won a fight by not having any balls.

God drat it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sky Shadowing posted:

Theon and the Hound are pretty much the only characters that S7 and S8 did not ruin.

That scene with the Hound guiltily giving that family a proper burial was cringe. Maybe it's just how it was executed and what it was surrounded by (lovely late season stuff) but I did not find it compelling for that character to feel that way.