Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Algol Star posted:

There were also kings called childeric the idiot and aethlred the unready' too, probs not to their face though.

Aethelred almost certainly was never called that to his face, there's no evidence of the epithet until more than a century after his death. It's mostly an amusing pun too, Athelread means "Well-Advised" and unread in the original Anglo-Saxon means "Ill-advised". Nice council no council.

The transliteration into modern Unready might also be an attempt at the same, one might expect a 12 year old king to be Unready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 14, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Happy Thread posted:

Season 8 had so many completely botched callback lines stolen from the good seasons

my favorite is when Melisandre switches up the order of "brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes" to put "blue eyes" last so it matches up with her killing the night king.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

Pattonesque posted:

my favorite is when Melisandre switches up the order of "brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes" to put "blue eyes" last so it matches up with her killing the night king.

Melisandre kind of forgot about how her own prophecy went.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

I gotta quote a segment of the books for you nine-gear-crow, that I can't stop thinking about a certain character from a certain video game series whenever I read it.

quote:

I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don't you see? Don't you SEE?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

Sky Shadowing posted:

I gotta quote a segment of the books for you nine-gear-crow, that I can't stop thinking about a certain character from a certain video game series whenever I read it.

I get why she went bonkers and leveled Kings Landing now. Cersei trampled all over her CRISP WHITE SHEETS.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

God, the ending we would have had if Emilia Clarke had channeled some Kate Mulgrew energy and just played Season 8 Dany as absolutely unambiguously bugfuck insane out of spite for D&D demolishing her character with 4 gobsmackingly awful scripts. It really WOULD have been the best season eveah.

Sodomy Hussein
Oct 9, 2005

Everything is subject to the needs of intelligence, for geniuses like me. If we actually solve problems, people won't need me and people like me, and this is a travesty without end. You have to squeeze the poor so they know their place, and you fucking commies forget that.

PittTheElder posted:

Aethelred almost certainly was never called that to his face, there's no evidence of the epithet until more than a century after his death. It's mostly an amusing pun too, Athelread means "Well-Advised" and unread in the original Anglo-Saxon means "Ill-advised". Nice council no council.

The transliteration into modern Unready might also be an attempt at the same, one might expect a 12 year old king to be Unready.

Anyone who must say they are unready is no unready

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Anyone who must say they are unready is no unready

History’s greatest humblebrag.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

King HUGEDONG THE ERECT, MASTER OF ALL HE SURVEYS AND HE'S AWESOME the broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

nine-gear crow posted:

I get why she went bonkers and leveled Kings Landing now. Cersei trampled all over her CRISP WHITE SHEETS.

And how many people did they say lived in King's Landing.

ONE

MILLION

LIVES

GONE

(maniacle cackling)