Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

An insane mind posted:

“I can’t do this anymore, it’s too long! Just tell your stupid story about the stupid desert and Danearys making GBS threads in a field and have everyone just die already! Die!”

No book for you! Next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Sanguinia posted:

And try Lean Pockets too!

Narrator: None would try the Lean Pockets...

Back when I actually ate Hot/Lean Pockets, I preferred the Lean Pockets, actually.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sky Shadowing posted:

Back when I actually ate Hot/Lean Pockets, I preferred the Lean Pockets, actually.

No wonder you spout all these crackpot theories!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

No wonder you spout all these crackpot theories!

It was because I started with the lean pockets and the hot pockets just exploded grease into my mouth.

... i also ate them only at my lovely summer job at a putt-putt golf course.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why would you waste your time doing any of that when hbo just dropped another 8 figures in your lap and its a reasonable assumption that you've got less than 15 years left

grrm rules, milk those idiots dry

Yeah HBO is really in a thorny position here. They're too invested in GRRM to cut him lose and walk away, but they have to know that no more books from the main series are coming so they're paying him for basically nothing. Plus they are still chasing the "defining cultural event" highs of GOT at it's peak because there's still a significant audience who will come back to give GOT one more chance so they absolutely have to nail it with the one remaining spinoff.

I wonder what the accounting looks like as far as GOT-related profits for HBO to feel like it's worth it to keep doubling down on increasingly long odds of capturing lightning in a bottle again with this IP. Either has to be some amazing money or some executive is just too embarrassed to admit they were wrong and too high up for anyone to tell them to cut the poo poo.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

GRRM might have intended to finish the books, or at least Winds of Winter eventually. But now that the show has ended in an explosive diarrheic fart and people who never cared about the books turn towards them as a desperate last resort for a satisfying conclusion to that which they invested so much time into?

With 2 books left he still has to resolve the following major plot points:
- The war vs the Bolton in Winterfell
- The whole Others invasion
- Jon's revival? and parentage
- Whatever the gently caress he has planned for Stannis
- Whatever the gently caress he has planned for Daenerys (like holy poo poo she is nowhere near resolving her sidequest in Mereen)
- Arya's assassin school plot
- Sansa and Littlefinger's manipulation school plot
- The Ironborn plot (with no less than 4 different PoV characters with each doing their own loving thing)
- The Dorne plot
- The Church plot
- Lady Stoneheart
- Bran's 3 eyed raven plot

Yeah, no chance in hell.

I still think we’ll get Winds of Winter, probably timed for release either a month or two before or right after the first season of the new show, but they’ll offhandedly mention that the series has been expanded to 8 (or more) books in the press release announcing the release date.

And, of course, we’ll never get another book after that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I fondly remember people expecting WoW's release to tie in with every new season since 5. :allears: We were so sure that as soon as the finale had been and gone there'd be an announcement.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

stev posted:

I fondly remember people expecting WoW's release to tie in with every new season since 5. :allears: We were so sure that as soon as the finale had been and gone there'd be an announcement.

GRRM's 2016(?) new year's post stated that he expected WoW to be finished before the year was out but that it fell through.

Half a decade later and he's still not done. :psyduck:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He's too busy blowing bubbles in his mansion.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Some behind the scenes photo's from House of the Dragon.

Favorite comment:

"he's very handsome, but not in a way where you could rule out the possibility of his parents being siblings."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Took me a second to realise that wasn't a loss.jpg.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
we're doing black leather from day 1 to ensure visual continuity with the first show. no ugly learning pains like we had with the costuming in season 1 having colours

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Mameluke posted:

we're doing black leather from day 1 to ensure visual continuity with the first show. no ugly learning pains like we had with the costuming in season 1 having colours

Colours weren't invented yet. Duh.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Season 1 and 2 did this neat thing where you could tell where the action was taking place without seeing the PoV character just from the lighting. The North used cold colors (without looking like a Tim Burton movie), while the South used warm colors, and the South colors were distinct from Essos. It gave the show a movie look and made it seem grander.

The Walking Dead 1st season had something similar going for it, but unlike TWD which had a smaller budget for it's following seasons, GoT had a bigger budget so it's just weird why they stopped doing it and resorting to post movie 5 Harry Potter filter.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 28, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pretty sure clothing styles change over 300 years but that's be effort and confuse people I guess

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lezard_valeth posted:

Season 1 and 2 did this neat thing where you could tell where the action was taking place without seeing the PoV character just from the lighting. The North used cold colors (without looking like a Tim Burton movie), while the South used warm colors, and the South colors were distinct from Essos. It gave the show a movie look and made it seem grander.

The Walking Dead 1st season had something similar going for it, but unlike TWD which had a smaller budget for it's following seasons, GoT had a bigger budget so it's just weird why they stopped doing it and resorting to post movie 5 Harry Potter filter.

Ya and then they just started filming North scenes in a monochromatic blue

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
GRRM's descriptions of clothing are full of bright colors. Everyone's wearing the gaudiest poo poo possible

I mean like this is Daario Naharis

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

lezard_valeth posted:

With 2 books left he still has to resolve the following major plot points:

- The Dorne plot

Yeah, no chance in hell.

I didn't read the books. Isn't the Dorne plot connected to the fAegon plot, or is that another separate plotline he also has to cut through?

Yeah, I don't blame GRRM for never finishing these books. It'd be essentially impossible to satisfy what people now want from them (not just to finish the story but to wholly redeem the franchise.) He's a 72-year-old man who'd have to exert an insane amount of effort over several years to make something for fans who'd probably be disappointed by the result regardless of what he does with it. Sounds thankless and exhausting...I'd probably opt out and become fantasy fiction Granddad Emeritus, too.

I'm sure he has notes and outlines of his vague thoughts. And I'm sure there's some Kevin J. Anderson type out there who'll take on finishing the series after he dies, making nobody happy, and it'll be fine.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Pretty sure clothing styles change over 300 years but that's be effort and confuse people I guess

More like 150 years as I recall, but yeah, I wish. I'm pretty much expecting this show to feel like an alt-history GoT, with the exact same cultures and technology and general social dynamics. I'm sure they'll find a way to involve Starks and Martells and all of it, because people like them and don't ask questions.

The hypothetical Long Night show might've actually had to make choices reflecting an older time period, though. People can maybe accept that 150 years didn't look that different in a feudal European setting, but something like thousands of years? There's no goddamn way. They'd at least have to make the North look like...I don't know, early Vikings? The Andals look like Romans?

*looks up The Long Night*

8000 years? Goddamn, GRRM. That's practically the Neolithic.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Xealot posted:

I didn't read the books. Isn't the Dorne plot connected to the fAegon plot, or is that another separate plotline he also has to cut through?

Initially yes, but then Tyrion gets involved and sends fAegon to do his own thing and the Dorne prince that was supposed to woo Daenerys gets impatient and dies waiting for her

Xealot posted:

and Martells

Show-watchers only liked 1 Martell, which is why that whole plotline got terminated

Pattonesque posted:

GRRM's descriptions of clothing are full of bright colors. Everyone's wearing the gaudiest poo poo possible

Also the show food didn't look as delicious as GRMM's description. I need have something to snack on when reading the books

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It's unclear how related (f)Aegon is to the Dorne plot. Doran doesn't seem to know that fAegon exists- which in my opinion is a huge red flag, since nobody would make a more natural ally for the real Aegon than his uncles Doran and Oberyn- but Doran is constantly plotting.

The question is, Doran currently wants to ally with Dany- on the grounds that she has dragons, and nobody else does- and her lineage is unquestionable (despite the fact I do nothing but question it)- but it remains to be seen how he'll react to the news that Quentyn died in Meereen. It wasn't in any way Dany's fault- Quentyn went to try and tame a dragon, and the dragons were still chained inside one of the pyramids, when Dany was off lost in the Dothraki Sea- but it remains to be seen if he hears the truth, or the 'altered' version as told by Dany's enemies.

That would leave his only real option for vengeance as fAegon, especially if fAegon agrees to marry Arianne.

Either way I think it's pretty clear that Tyrion has basically become a huge Spanner in the Works for Varys's plots. fAegon was supposed to present himself to Dany and marry her, joining his army to her's, along with her dragons, and come back with a fully unified Team Targaryen. Instead Tyrion goaded fAegon into saying "we don't need Dany, let her come crawling to me in Westeros."

Dany has reason to believe fAegon is fake (the House of the Undying vision and Quaithe warning her against the "mummer's dragon") but she may have gone along with it as an equal partner, since fAegon is indisputably at least of Valyrian blood, and any children they have would be of House Targaryen in both name (as fAegon would still be "Aegon Targaryen") and blood (because they're her kids).

It remains to be seen what happens then; I personally like the idea fAegon will marry Cersei. It's a very sensible political match; Cersei is head of House Lannister, and therefore controls the Westerlands, the Riverlands (through the Freys), the North for now (through the Boltons). It would make sense then that Cersei in the show just (poorly) "stepped into" fAegon's role since fAegon will be her husband. If fAegon is who he says he is (and I believe he really does think he is real), then Dorne should be with him already, and it's likely Daenerys will be wrongfully blamed for Quentyn's death, leaving Doran with no other real option.

Sell it as "the marriage to end all the wars" and the smallfolk will eat it up. Cersei has been shown to lust for Valyrians- she was very attracted to Rhaegar, and put Aurane Waters as Master of Ships because he reminded her OF Rhaegar. She might well find her happiness in believing she's finally married Rhaegar's son.

The issue being, Tyrion will be extraordinarily enraged by Cersei turning him sending fAegon after her to her benefit, and that might well push him further down the dark path., and he in turn might push Dany.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The seeds of what Doran will likely hear about what happened to Quentyn are already there: "She laughed at him and then fed him to her dragons"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lezard_valeth posted:

Show-watchers only liked 1 Martell, which is why that whole plotline got terminated

I dunno about this, Alexander Siddig has a huge fan following from Star Trek and all the movies he's been in.

If he'd even gotten like, a single loving scene, then I think show-watchers would have loved him just as much as Oberyn.

Problem is D&D wrote the Sand Snakes so loving stupid nobody could stand it and they had to jettison the entire storyline to get away from their shame.

There's no way they cast Siddig on purpose for one loving scene where he sits in a chair. They had plans, and he would have acted the heck out of those plans, but they cut them before giving it a chance because Sand Sankes were just too bad to believe.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
To me it's very obvious that the big "oh so we're out of books now, what are we gonna do next?" talk only came AFTER they were done filming season 5, so that's why all of the bad dorne plots happen in season 5 AS-IF they're gonna follow the book plots but then do a hard poochie on the season 6 opener; so I don't really think they planned for anything, or at least that it didn't really matter given they were so disinterested in doing a good job with the scripts.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
lol that they just bring back an unnamed Prince of Dorne at the end anyway

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

lol that they just bring back an unnamed Prince of Dorne at the end anyway

And not even the actor himself knew who he was supposed to be.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
What the hell was going on in Dorne anyway, between the capture of the Sand Snakes and the emergence of The New Prince of Dorne? I mean, if the new prince supports Dany, why did they ever stop supporting her in the first place? Everyone just stops talking about Dorne entirely, even though they are major allies of Dany and still have a large army left.

I guess we just have to assume that a Dany-hating prince temporarily seized power after their big loss and pursued isolationist policies, until he was eventually ousted by the Dany-loyalist NPD. Still, it would have been nice to have at least a few lines of dialogue about all this.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, the snakes and Ellaria continue having some presence up until season 8, they ally with the Yara's iron borne defectors, captured and tortured by Cersei and Euron, etc, it's never made clear how they contribute to the war effort given that they're never shown to be supported by any dornish troops but I guess the background implication is that once they murdered Doran they absorbed his aristocratic powers and now control the armies of Dorne, which never come into play even tacitly in any of the battles on the show.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 29, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, the snakes and Ellaria continue having some presence up until season 8, they ally with the Yara's iron borne defectors, captured and tortured by Cersei and Euron, etc, it's never made clear how they contribute to the war effort given that they're never shown to be supported by any dornish troops but I guess the background implication is that once they murdered Doran they absorbed his aristocratic powers and now control the armies of Dorne, which never come into play even tacitly in any of the battles on the show.

Remember that Tyrion's original plan was for the armies of Dorne and The Reach to lay siege to King's Landing, so that the inhabitants would feel good about being conquered by fellow Seven Kingdomers. That's where they were headed when their ships were attacked by Euron*. Dany definitely had the full support of the Dornish government and their armies at this moment (even though they couldn't be bothered to hire any extras to portray Dornish troops).

Logically, this shouldn't have changed just because a group of bastard women were captured, but I guess their government lost faith in Dany after their disastrous defeat at sea. Then I guess the New Prince of Dorne seized power later and decided to ally with Dany after all. It just feels weird for none of the characters to ever mention any of this with a single word. A lot of the plot holes could have been fixed with some extra dialogue.

* Come to think of it, this also explains why the Tyrells are defeated so easily later. The bulk of their armies were lost at sea. I never even thought about that.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 29, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Xealot posted:

More like 150 years as I recall, but yeah, I wish. I'm pretty much expecting this show to feel like an alt-history GoT, with the exact same cultures and technology and general social dynamics. I'm sure they'll find a way to involve Starks and Martells and all of it, because people like them and don't ask questions.

The hypothetical Long Night show might've actually had to make choices reflecting an older time period, though. People can maybe accept that 150 years didn't look that different in a feudal European setting, but something like thousands of years? There's no goddamn way. They'd at least have to make the North look like...I don't know, early Vikings? The Andals look like Romans?

*looks up The Long Night*

8000 years? Goddamn, GRRM. That's practically the Neolithic.

One thing that always bugged me in fantasy was how civilizations could be in a Medieval state for like 20,000 years or whatever. It makes sense when high fantasy realms with readily-available magic don't advance much in terms of non-arcane science, but we managed to figure out steam engines after about five thousand years of civilization. Granted it also took that same amount of time before we realized that we shouldn't poop in the same water we drink but still.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's a global pandemic and people refuse to believe it exists my dude.

Imagine dumbasses from like, 150 years ago. Like a regular schmuck. Cripes.

Oh yeah people attacked doctors in the streets for trying to cure scarlet fever or something then.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 29, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

emanresu tnuocca posted:

To me it's very obvious that the big "oh so we're out of books now, what are we gonna do next?" talk only came AFTER they were done filming season 5, so that's why all of the bad dorne plots happen in season 5 AS-IF they're gonna follow the book plots but then do a hard poochie on the season 6 opener; so I don't really think they planned for anything, or at least that it didn't really matter given they were so disinterested in doing a good job with the scripts.

George said in at least one interview that he had more than enough content for them to keep going for ANOTHER 8 seasons if they wanted to, not to mention that nobody was forcing them to cut entire plotlines that could have easily slowed down the breakneck pace of 5-8, like Lady Stoneheart just as one immediate example. The decision to deviate from the books, make their own dumb plots and rush everything toward a finish was entirely on D&D.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was rumored that GRRM and D&D had a major falling out, they took hidden snipes at each other at multiple occasions, I think that the gist was that GRRM was unhappy with the way they excised plots and felt it's not so easy to stitch a narrative back together if you unravel it carelessly, Benioff and Weiss on the other hand felt GRRM didn't know what it takes to make a hit show and apparently also felt that his ideas would basically make the show very long and possibly not very compelling. GRRM reportedly stormed off muttering something about him being a guy who dedicated his life to crafting narratives and that it's not something any one can easily pull off, later D&D even mocked this statement by GRRM by putting into fake-Tyrion's mouth in the braavosi theater production Arya watches.

So yeah, D&D basically hold all the responsibility for how poo poo things turned out, they were arrogant enough to think they can't take a bad step, even though by their own admission they actually had no idea what they were doing ("world's most expensive film school"). gently caress those guys, really, at least they got some comeuppance in the fact that millions around the world now think of them as complete hacks.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 29, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In a way they were right - the ratings truly became monstrous when they started making poo poo up on the fly and stopped caring.

That's more of an indictment of the TV viewing public than GRRM though.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

....You want a good girl but you need a bad pussy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also don't look up how old that actress was when GoT premiered.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Also don't look up how old that actress was when GoT premiered.

It's going to make me feel sad isn't it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sanguinia posted:

George said in at least one interview that he had more than enough content for them to keep going for ANOTHER 8 seasons if they wanted to, not to mention that nobody was forcing them to cut entire plotlines that could have easily slowed down the breakneck pace of 5-8, like Lady Stoneheart just as one immediate example. The decision to deviate from the books, make their own dumb plots and rush everything toward a finish was entirely on D&D.

He's lying though, he doesn't have poo poo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well the good news about a botched landing on an adaption is that you'll have fans clamoring at the possibility of a reboot "but done right this time" in 10-20 years
It's easy money

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress it, commission a full anime adaption.

I really can't imagine a reboot. To me seasons 1-3 were handled and cast pretty much perfectly (with a couple of notable exceptions), and season 4 is still pretty great even though the rot was starting to set in. Seeing a different Ned, Tyrion, Arya or Jon would just be bizarre, even if a bunch of time passes.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A Castlevania style anime adaptation would be very good and pretty much inevitable. Looking forward to it.