Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually like the show still, all the way up to season 7, but I think they spent more and more time writing themselves into a corner and the resolution is gonna feel either too predictable or too "you pulled this out of your rear end so we wouldn't say it was predictable"

Well, that's what you're always going to get at the end of a long series that people have had time to pick over for years and years. If you've done your plotting and foreshadowing right, then everything in the last few episodes SHOULD be predictable because it's echoing everything that came before. And to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm expecting the ending to look like. There'll be some big battles with the Others and Cersei's expected backstabbing, but I wouldn't care to bet on who lives or who dies, or how the Night King is defeated or bargained with, or how they'll deal with the ice dragon. Or what the status quo will look like after all's said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m rewatching season 7 today and idk how anyone can dislike stupid crazy Euron. He has so much fun and solos two sand snakes

Whatup last minute rewatch buddy. Yeah, he wasn't that bad this time around. This was the season where they just threw all the realism out the window so they could have cool stuff like last minute rescues and impossible sneak attacks, so whatever, have a big fun crazy pirate running around killing bad characters and dunking on Theon.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

maybe the white walkers just kill everyone and rule forever

maybe the humans kill the white walkers and win but winter lasts for years and everyone starves to death because they spent the last decade killing the poo poo out of anyone lowborn enough to plow a field

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I've still got 6 pages of reaction posts to skim through or skip over entirely, but you dead-eyed robotic nerds have to ease up on the "waste of time" poo poo when Jon rides on a dragon for the first time. Do you remember what it was like to watch something like that and get a sense of wonder from it? God forbid they spend five minutes showing how exhilarating it is for a regular person to ride a dragon, and build on Jon and Dany's relationship while they're doing it. (They actually showed a little chemistry this episode, too!)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The thing to remember is that in Westeros, people aren't ever really that intelligent. Remember when Sam cured Jorah's greyscale, and the maester asks him how he did it, and he's like "Well, I read the instructions in the book and did what it told me to" and the maester is like "omg we never thought of that!"

For like 95% of the population, it doesn't matter if you're Albert Einstein or a drooling moron, you're gonna grub in the dirt for most of your miserable existence and then some random troop of soldiers is going to come through and rape your daughters and steal all your food, and then they'll act like they're going to let you go free and then kill you at the last minute as a joke for their friends. "High society" consists of a couple dozen families who've been breeding amongst eachother and mostly selecting for being good at fighting and being assholes, and any intelligence that shows up there is going to be watered down by breeding with more inbred assholes. Just being able to think your way through something like Littlefinger's "Pretend everyone has the worst intentions" game probably puts you in the top ten thinkers in the country.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It looked like they were melting it and pouring it like iron, I thought that was a bunch of dragonglass arrowheads they tipped out of a mold. What I took from it was that, whatever cool properties obsidian might have had, and whatever interesting challenges it would create to arm troops in Westeros, we're not concerned with that poo poo here. There's no time to bother worrying about how the axe would shatter when there's zombies to kill and backs to be stabbed.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Yeah it's definitely meant to be obsidian, but I don't think the show writers really care about that at this point and just treating it like magic iron is easier.

That's what I mean. gently caress it, we've got five episodes left, no time to go into the challenges of working with volcanic rocks versus kitting everyone out with steel weapons. We got the dragonglass from Dragonstone, boom, now our army can kill zombies. I guess our blacksmiths just make swords and arrowheads out of it or something. Let's not waste any more time worrying about it. Grrm can go into that sort of minutiae in the infinite-page books that he'll never finish.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

This is the exact opposite of what happened.

The maester was like, "yo, we've thought of that and this should've killed you and we're not going to reward your stupidity just because it worked."

Some of y'all are really bad at watching television.

That was me exaggerating for effect. :) I actually just watched the scene yesterday and the maester didn't actually say anyone had got infected or killed trying the greyscale cure, it was more like "Maesters with years of experience in healing have tried this and failed." It really did give the impression that Sam's cure was something hard to do properly, and Sam's just like "but I just followed the instructions?" People in Westeros just aren't that bright. The average maester or blacksmith or whatever just isn't very good at his job. Remember that no one in Winterfall managed to think of rigging some extra straps on a saddle so Bran could ride a horse until Tyrion came to town. Sansa IS the smartest person Arya knows, because the bar just isn't that high in the first place.

The show makes a lot more sense once you realize the great thinkers like Tyrion and Sansa(lol) are only smart in a one-eyed-man-leading-the-blind sorta way.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

what is even the point of the show? the fight against the zombies? the political war between the families? dany story? jon? whats even the point of anything that happen on screen?

It's so the viewers can see tits and dragons. And bearded men clanging swords into eachother.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

there is no way in hell they can close all those threads

Am I getting whooshed here?

•the fight against the zombies -- Gonna get wrapped up one way or another, there's some big battle scenes coming up.

•the political war between the families -- Probably wrapped up at the same time as the zombies, most of the families are dead and gone and the victor will be whoever survives the zombie war.

•dany's story/jon's story -- These two are kind of the same story at this point, but we'll certainly get some kind of denouement with them by the end, something along the lines of them making peace with their families and then dying for the cause, or living through it so they can deplore the cost of war and build something out of the ashes.

Like, I get that it's been a long, winding road, but they've certainly pared it down enough that they can address all the main points you've listed.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

it's popular so it's good

That comment was in response to someone saying the show had "waning enthusiasm", but sick burn I guess.

I'm not sure what's so hard to figure out about Gurm not wanting to write the main story any more. It's fun to compare him to Steven King or the Expanse writers, but it's really a whole different game that Gurm's playing. Steven King can churn out a novel every year because they're mostly self-contained, with no long-running B-plots and side characters to resolve besides maybe a hint at the Crimson King or something. The Expanse writers managed to get 8 books of their series done in less than ten years, but to be fair, it's a much less complicated story with much fewer important characters. Gurm's job has gotten super complicated since Storm of Swords, with a hundred different important characters and long-standing prophecies and hidden plots, and any ending he writes has to address at least the majority of them and tie together dozens of plot threads. It's obviously going to be way more difficult and intricate than banging out another quick 300 pages about yet another supernatural murderer haunting a small town in Maine. The writing seems like the easy part compared to rounding up all the dangling plot bits that he's left out for the last twenty years.

And poo poo, he's 70 and rich. If I was him, I wouldn't want to spend my time painstakingly combing through all my old work to piece together that jigsaw puzzle either. I'd be spending my time going to red carpet premieres and taking hoverhand pictures with hot actresses and hanging out on the couch watching football and eating nachos.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

Fair enough. It really bothers me though, the idea that writers don't owe some kind of closure to their readers. It's even worse with this because, again, there's so much to play with here!

Yeah, I know people like to quote that "GRRM is not your bitch" article, but I've always thought it's a fair point that I and a lot of other people may never have started reading the books if we knew up front there would never be a conclusion. I think it's a little much to use the word "owe", but it's definitely along the lines of false advertising and I think it's fair to be a little pissed off at the guy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Looking back, it would have been nice if this whole show had been planned out properly, like the better class of serialized drama that isn't a book adaptation. All the way through til the end, it kinda felt like they were waiting on GRRM to release more material, or at least tell them what the main plot threads should be leading into the end of the series. For the last season or two, they've just kinda put their head down and started ticking off plot points and moving everyone around at lightspeed so they could get to the end. If they'd known from the beginning where the end would lead, they would have been able to spend some time fleshing out this last arc a little bit, and wasted a lot less time on sideplots that didn't go anywhere, like the House of the Undying, or Dorne, or Highgarden, or hell, even the direwolves.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Baronash posted:

Is she though? I feel like it's pretty reasonable to say that show-Cersei makes dumb decision after dumb decision that only work out because of events she wasn't expecting.

Yeah, I don't know calling her one of the smarter characters is accurate, but especially after the death of Tywin, she's become the most ruthless character on the show and that allows her to make plays that other characters aren't expecting, like when she blew up the sept.

I dunno, given the competition, that probably does make her one of the smarter characters. I can't remember how many of her fuckups that I'm remembering were ever shown on screen and how many were just Book Cersei being stupid. In the show, did she build the fleet of ships and then give it to the guy who immediately stole it? Or have her idiot friend's husband try to duel Bronn?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, all in all I like what they've done with her character arc in the show. She's mad, of course, but in a believable way given everything they've showed us from her past and upbringing.

Book Cersei is definitely a different, much more bumbling character, but she might serve an entirely different purpose in the last few books (that we'll never see).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I was sad about that too though

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Cut Stannis' whole plot too, cause if you are gonna commit plot suicide then why even bother.

Is this a serious argument that you don't think the series could have been plotted better if they knew where they were going the whole time? It's pretty obvious that D&D just started speeding to the finish and dropping off plot elements left and right around the time they ran out of books. You wouldn't have traded most of the Sand Snakes storyline or most of Dany's wanderings in the desert for an extra episode or two setting up the battle for Highgarden or Casterly Rock, or giving Dany time to stabilize Meereen instead of just abruptly leaving because the Westeros plot needed her? There's plenty of plot that goes nowhere that could have been channeled into other areas.

The direwolves are an interesting example, though, because you guys are right that they're kind of an important symbol to start the Stark children off with, and they do set up some cool scenes. But their existence gives way to a bunch of little plot holes, because they're never around as much as they should be. I'm surprised it's so expensive to have them onscreen, I would have thought they could have gotten away with getting some big huskies or malamutes, touching them up with makeup, and giving them the Gandalf/hobbit treatment with camera tricks.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

There's a theory that he was always meant to fail, albeit in a way that he would have just gone back to Dorne in disgrace. The Prince of Dorne (who's alive and well in the books) might be behind a subtle plot to advance Oberyn's daughter instead of his son and set her up with the Sand Snakes to take over the dragons. (Or something, it's been a long time since I've cared.) It's another example of how Dorne ended up featuring a lot more than it should have in the show -- I think the showrunners were expecting Gurm to have fleshed that plot out by now, and so they set the stage for that storyline and just jettisoned it so they could wrap everything up for the last season.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

iirc they said Shireen burning was from GURM, no specifics on who did it

I'm at the point where I could care less what gurm says is going to happen. Publish it or it just didn't happen, buddy. Hell, with as long as he's taken to figure out this part of the story, I'm not convinced any plot point he mentioned is 100% to stick around.

Plus, he's already been "wrong" about stuff in the show. Remember when he clarified that Dany wasn't fireproof, it was just a one-time dragon magic thing? And then a few seasons later she burns down the big Dothraki hall and just emerges unscathed from the roiling fire.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The Oz parody where Kermit trades Elmo's mouth for a gram of heroin and Big Bird sticks Grover with an AIDS-infected needle went way over my 5-year-old's head.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheRat posted:

Why does everyone itt keep pretending that Ghost no longer exists when the VFX people have confirmed he has significant screen time this season?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-ghost-season-8_n_5b7eb066e4b0348585fe242b

Because he doesn't exist a lot of the time. A promise of future screentime doesn't really change that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I haven't gotten through all the backlog of posts in this thread but just lol at you sweet summer children who are like "the corpses in the crypt would have rotten away to bones and they're stored under heavy stone so they can't attack the people hiding there." It doesn't matter how illogical something is on this show, if that's the easiest way for them to get to the next plot point, then surprise, zombies out of the walls.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also I got linked to the ASOIAF wiki from here last night, and when I woke up my monitor I accidentally clicked on the page for Cyvasse, and damned if the description isn't the most grrmiest thing ever:

ASOIAF wiki posted:

Cyvasse is played on a board which changes from game to game. The players arrange the tiles on the board, with a screen in the middle, so neither can see how the other arranges their board. Amongst the squares that the players can place themselves, are mountains.[1] In turn, the players move their pieces across the board.[2] In Volantis there are cyvasse parlors.[3]

According to George R. R. Martin, cyvasse is complex and profound but he has not come up with rules for the game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

Then again, this would be how a kid would think it works if they'd spent their formative pubescent years worried about rapers while on the road and then finished with training to be a predatory assassin in Bravos. So as creepy as it was, I buy it.

Yeah, it's a little uncomfortable for the viewers, but in the context of her own story it makes sense. She had a crush on Gendry when she was a kid, then spent the next 7-8 years growing up under terrible conditions, and now that she's an adult and finally confident and in possession of herself, she goes back to that old crush on the night before she might die, to help remind her of her humanity. I don't know about you guys, but I had crushes on girls at school when I was 10 or 11, and it seemed pretty natural to want to bang them years later when we were in high school.

And of course she's a little creepy and domineering about it because unfortunately that's the kind of person she's had to grow into. The acting wasn't great, but you don't expect them to have any real chemistry, it's clearly a bucket list scenario on the eve of a giant battle.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know why you go to the Game of Thrones thread if you don't want to talk about sideboob. Or full boob.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

something I'm really surprised I didn't see any goon mention either this episode or last is how, if youtube's 2018 recommended taught as anything at all, is that you can't cast obsidian and make a sword

I did mention this last week, when they showed the blacksmiths tipping out a bunch of arrowheads that they'd smelted and cast. They treat it like some kind of iron instead of volcanic rock. And the reason for that is, although it might be interesting to go into the difficulties of working and fighting with something like obsidian versus steel, this isn't the show for that kind of thing anymore. They got the dragonglass, they make weapons that can kill White Walkers. End of Story. No time to worry about the troubles of medieval blacksmithing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Am I alone in hoping everyone survives? I want Jon and Dany to get married and rebuild Westeros together, I want Sansa to be Warden of the North, I want Arya to be happy and rebuild her life, I want Tormund and Brienne to have big strong children together, I want the Lannister bros to go off on another adventure... I would even be happy if Cersei escapes the ruin of King's Landing and gets an epilogue where she takes her delusions of grandeur to Essos and plans to start anew.

I know that's not how things are "done" on this show, but I wouldn't feel cheated or anything if everyone manages to survive against long odds. I feel like we've come so far with these characters that I just want them to live happily ever after. They can kill Beric, I guess, if they want to show how dire things are. No one likes Beric.

e: oh, and I want Arya to bang like six more guys since it makes everyone so uncomfortable

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Gunthen posted:

Doesn't even have a name in the books, they do not name the children until they are 2 because of a superstition. He is still at Castle Black in the books. He is mostly a combination of Mance Rayders son and Gillys in the show.

Ahahaha I forgot about that added wrinkle. In the books Mance Rayder is an actual character, and has a newborn son. After Stannis kills Mance, everyone just knows it's only a matter of time before Melisandre wants to burn his heir, so Jon Snow forces Gilly to trade her own incest baby for Mance's son in a secret swap. Her son stays at the Wall and Mance's baby is the one that goes to Oldtown with Gilly and Sam.

Also Mance Rayder didn't actually burn in the flames, they swapped HIM out too for some reason, and he goes to Bolton-controlled Winterfell with some spearwives masquerading as a traveling troupe of entertainers. For, you know, reasons.

The more I think about it, the more I understand why GRRM is allergic to his keyboard. Those books are just a gnarled mess of plots and subtleties.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

precision posted:

Well you did imply that the scene exists solely because Arya turned 18 which is weird on many levels.

That's from some TV show, isn't it? I could swear I remember a scene from Family Guy or something where they lampshade it like "All right, you're 18, you're not a precocious girl and a promising student anymore, now you're a sex object. Lemme see dem tits."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

There were gross radio morning zoo types constantly doing age 18 countdowns for Mary Kate and Ashley Olson, Britney Spears, and Lindsay Logan, iirc. It's not some new idea or anything.

Not just the concept, I could have sworn I've seen that actual scene lampshading it somewhere before, where they explicitly say "you're 18 now, you've become a sex object". I want to say Family Guy, but some sort of crude humor sitcom at least.

And I remember eagerly following the Britney Spears countdown, haha. Not sure what I was excited for, though, she's a couple years older than I am anyway.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yes, her age was an unknown until HBO confirmed it because it didn't come up in the show. You didn't know her age prior to the tweet, so really what you're doing here is revealing yourself to be quite an idiot. She literally was a child in every season until this one, according to the show's canon.

They didn't say it explicitly, but I and a lot of other viewers have had the impression that somewhere between 7-10 years have passed in universe, and there's a "1 season = 1 show year" rule of thumb that's been passed around. Maisie Williams' unique looks aside, I thought it was pretty clear that she was at least 17-18 by the time she graduates from murder school. I'm not sure why you're saying she was "literally a child in every season" when you've watched years worth of wars go on around here. People age gradually, they don't just hear a "ding" once they hit 18.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's just really creepy that you feel you have a relationship with a professional actress because you've watched her work on the screen. Akin to the women you literally shared your upbringing with!

Zaphod is also being an idiot but we were all probably adults when we first saw Maisie Williams onscreen as an 11-year-old, and there is a certain awkwardness in seeing her do the sex things when our first impression was of her as a little girl. Similar to the feeling you get hearing about your sisters doing the sex things.

Now can we drop this? I'd rather argue about whether or not this was a wasted episode because all that happened was people talking to eachother.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It was bullshit that Tommen can just outlaw trial by combat and have it apply to cases already in process. Cersei should have been grandfathered in.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

Casual or sexual nudity in media is not a big deal in most places not named America. Hell even in Canada it's not that big a deal. It's just a body yo

When I was an exchange student in the Netherlands I saw a newspaper section front page with the picture of the body of a nude pregnant woman in profile, hairy bush silhouette at the bottom. It was just lying there on the little table in a shop.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Weird that the gods are generally on the side of the biggest strongest fighters, huh?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The lack of self awareness is amazing

I would say out of all the posters that I most want Zaphod42 to stop posting followed closely by GoGoGadgetChris. And there's a dude with a Nazi avatar who posts here.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss.

"One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Bronn) who never gets paid? The one who was denied his promised castle, wife, and piles of Lannister gold?'

'Yeah?'

'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd leave King's Landing and become a Winterfell Defender? Where else is he going to go?'

'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.'

'And what if during the battle for the living, he takes Cersei's word and kills his only two friends?'

This year,

Okay this loving crushed me hahaha.

I swear to god, there had better be something more to that plot than "Bronn tries to kill Tyrion and Jaime, gets killed or doublecrossed by Cersei." Out of all the people on the show including her own brothers, I'd think Bronn is enough of a scoundrel to know that siding with her is never going to be in his best interests. I'm thinking he and at least one of the Lannister bros survive the next episode, and he warns them Cersei's coming for them and helps them take King's Landing and kill her.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The most recent book was BAD though

Unlike last night's episode of the tv show, which was Good

It wasn't good because nothing happened and nobody died.

Seriously though I think the only scene I really didn't like was Arya and the Hound (and Beric.) I thought we'd get a smile out of one of them at least but it was just so dour, and then Arya abruptly leaves when Beric shows up. No one likes Beric.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hah, I like Beric too actually, but no one on the show gives a poo poo about him. Does he even know anyone at Winterfell besides the Hound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Beric is another one of these cool GRRM characters where it seems like he should really be the protagonist, or at least be important somehow. He's the leader of a band of good guy(ish) rebels who want to protect the commonfolk, and he was resurrected by the power of the Red God when he was killed in action... and he's just sort of there now, not doing anything important, not really known by anyone there, just a random sword in the battle. There was a scene a few seasons back where the Hound calls him on it, like "hey, you're not so loving special, Beric. Not a bad guy, but not the greatest fighter or anything. Why'd you get picked to come back?" and Beric doesn't really know either.

I wonder if GRRM had any grand plan to tie him and/or the Red God into the ending sequence, because I doubt they'll take on any of that for the show.