Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I didn't HATE this but I was really disappointed with the plot armor and how little political impact this was. I liked the unexplained death scene of Melisandre, and it was beautiful fantasy in motion.

Now I get why the Golden Company story was kept.

Varys is a Blackfyre. The other red witch is gonna do some poo poo when he betrays Dany. This is based off the cut scene from last season.

Also didn't they say we're gonna go further north than ever before? We haven't even gotten back up to the Fist again. Wondering if this is a false victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Splendid posted:

I've heard of the theory but not the cut scene, where did you read about it?

Whelp seems like the source I had for that was wild speculation sorry

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

massive spider posted:

Arya kiling night king was...ok but her surviving in the process left a bitter taste in her mouth. Her whole story has been her facing death so she basically peaked the moment she shanked him. Why keep her around a millisecond past that point?

Honestly thinking there's still something left to this fantasy part still.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

esperterra posted:

The reason obsidian and valyrian steel is special is because of dragonflame. Normal fire not hurting him is fine but him being immune to the thing that created his weaknesses is lame.

All it took to make that scene not dumb would be making it clearly, visibly obvious that the NK was parting the flames with some unseen force like that one Walker did at Hardhome.

Not sure if it is said in the show, but blood magic is very much part of the secrets of Valyrian steel.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bottom Liner posted:

Theon burned two children and got a super duper heoric "you're a good man" moment too

Yeah well how much suffering does a man have to suffer after murdering two children in cold blood and burning their corpses before he can be forgiven??

Also I hated Stannis. He sucked poo poo and it never surprised me that the internet's most vocal nerds supported his campaign of weaponized autism.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You gently caress-o's should love Bran, he only upsets y'all cus he's the snow globe kid, not The Accountant.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Tactical realism is less important than characters actually having some story reason for what they're doing. Why did half the army commit suicide? What were they trying to achieve? What outcome where we suppose to be hoping for? They sort of had a plan but the only real drama was wondering when the Night King would show up in the Gods Wood and if somebody would manage to stab him with dragon glass, and none of that had any real connection to the outcome of the battle. The audience should be saying "Oh poo poo everything is going wrong" instead of "It's really unfortunate this many nameless characters are dying while they wait for the thing to happen."

Maybe it's meta. maybe this is illustrating the points highlighted in the first three seasons, demonstrating that the game of thrones only benefits the upper classes.

:psyduck:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Barreft posted:

I'm getting ready to watch some parts of The Long Night and this is HBO Now's description:

I'm sure already mentioned but lmao

LMAO I saw that when I pulled up the episode on premiere night and I thought they just hosed up the description and put some season 6 poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aginor posted:

Well if that's the case and the long night is over, there is no Azor Ahai, and Bran honestly did just go for a random jaunt through the sky to pass some time then it will confirm all my fears about everything ASOIAF related. I've waited too long, the expectations became too great and in the end it surmounted to nothing but a massive disappointment. And then I'll turn off the TV, put the books in the cupboard and walk outside and enjoy the sun on my face...

Of course, I do enjoy a villain being destroyed in 3 seconds and the protangonists wiping their hands while saying, "and that's the end of that chapter".

Thank you for coming to my meltdown.

Nah dude I'm there. I'm not even really a book reader (Martin's style grosses me out) I just like big fantasy worlds and myths, and I thought I might get my fix through this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Koalas March posted:

Iirc there was a deleted scene where Sansa and Tyrion do attack them and I'm assuming make a kill or two.

Oh my God, they really did film this in loving choose-your-own-adventure style.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tei posted:

The shouting, called kiai, has multiple purported purposes. I would note that I'm posting these not out of a necessary belief in them, but out of explanation.

The forced and trained rapid exhalation of breath. This can be used as both focus (by focusing on breath, one is less inclined to focus on the fear of failure when faced with the thought of breaking something apparently hard), and as a method of rapidly exhaling carbon-dioxide from the body to increase oxygenated blood flow to the extremities.
The external (outer or omote) harmonizing of ki energy (気合 - kiai), as opposed to the internal (inner or ura) harmonization of ki energy (合気 - aiki). [NB: This is not something I believe, so this is best left to someone else to explain familiar with the concepts.]
The expulsion of intent. Kiai acts as a declaration of your fighting spirit, your internal desire to prevail in those circumstances. This can be for intimidation, self-reassurance, rallying (the war cry was essentially a form of kiai), etc.
Something that many people may never learn: the kiai need not be loud. In some arts, the kiai is taught as a voiceless projection, called kage no kiai.

In addition, some arts offer specific forms of kiai, for example (from the Bujinkan; I have no record from which school, I simply have it in my notebook as kihon, but the proper term is more likely kotodama)

ei! - A growling shout, meant to accompany an attack; intended to force the opponent to lower his guard momentarily.

toh! - A heavy shout, meant to accompany a counter; intended to make the opponent believe he has left an opening.

ya! - A boisterous shout, meant to respond to a series of blows; intended to dishearten the opponent, making him believe that you believe you're already victorious (may tie in to folk beliefs that a battle is decided the moment two adversaries first see each other).

It's said the kage no kiai taught in the Bujinkan is a harmony of these three shouts, voiceless or in a low hum, assuring the warrior of victory. This might be viewed as a form of self-assurance, helping to maintain a form of inner calm or mushin.

Oh.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got the night king edition of the “Arya went full anime” picture

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2segM3PA6AI

So Dracarys just means, "help"?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The dude is working with the script he's given.

He seems to be trying to bring it as much character he can.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Roman Reigns posted:

Honestly, if you don't know spanish you should watch this anyway. This is incredible.

This is completely rescued this show for me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Xanderkish posted:

I am so upset I don't know Spanish right now.

It's honestly just complaining about the same poo poo English speaking reviews, but they call back to telenovela tropes an scenes whenever a relationship comes up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Xanderkish posted:

I am so upset I don't know Spanish right now.

You don't need to really. I BARELY know any Spanish and I laughed at a lot of just the tonal shift jokes.

The best joke is really them over dubbing the romance scenes with dialogue from other telenovelas.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bregor posted:

Wait so why are they even going to Dragonstone in the first loving place

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not a bot posted:

Didn't they say budget being an issue and that they had to choose between Dorne and Iron Islands and they went with Dorne because Spain and sunshine.

Ah, the Adam Sandler approach to location filming.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Seriously I can't understand why I can't stop watching this goddamn show.

I never understood characters succumbing to a doomed prophetic curse until now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crow Jane posted:

Nothing else really scratches the same itch, imo :shrug:

It's like heroin, but like the reggie of heroin. (i have not done heroin)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lowly posted:

I have heard good things about Kingdom on Netflix, though I haven't watched it yet. It's medieval Korea + politics + zombies, so it seems like it might scratch a Game of Thrones itch.

So they already launched the Song Of Ice And Fire Yi Ti prequel, Lion of Night?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lowly posted:

Maege Mormont (Lyanna's mom) was only barely in the show but she's great in the books, and it's too bad she didn't do anything in the show but just kind of be there in the scenes with Robb's army. She's the middle-aged sister of Jorah and Jeor who's taken the reigns of the Mormont house after the exile of both her brothers and is building it back up from the pitiful state it's been left in by Jorah's shenanigans. She has several daughters and no one really knows who the dad is, although they have the Mormont name and are not considered to be bastards, and Maege has kept the name of Mormont, so if she's married, it's not in typical Westeros fashion for a lady. The popular rumor is that their dad is a literal bear. Maege and her oldest daughter fight for Robb Stark. During Robb's war, one of the things she does is capture thousands of cattle from the Westerlands because it's only the women that seem to think of practical things like feeding the army. She's saved from the Red Wedding at the last minute when Robb sends her on a secret mission to Howland Reed and the crannogmen and as far as we know, if still alive.

I chose to believe this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRh23jHPxd8

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah, well a lot of his fan identity was based on his clever wit and now his character is a dummy.

Probably frustrated by dealing with fans who are disappointed in his character, and is actually intelligent enough to be frustrated with his character of the last 9 years being dragged through the plot like this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSHqODArXcE

This weeks te lo resumo así nomás is really good.

Even if the only Spanish you know is mierda = poo poo, you'll get the gist pretty quick.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 14, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nm

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys, I like Brienne's arc. It felt a little awkward and bluntly presented but I liked it on the whole.

gently caress I wish this ended more narratively satisfying!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TulliusCicero posted:

That entire scene is one of the absolute best of the show and shows so much emotional power with just a simple conversation.

Tyrion tearing up as Oberyn describes how he and Elia just saw him as a baby and a person, and his unspoken rage at his sister for always seeing him as a monster, was just fantastic acting on Dinklage and Pascals' parts

Yeah that was an exemplary scene.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Honestly that's a really great match for him as a writer. I'm happy for him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah they absolutely straight up ripped off Berserk a bunch for aesthetic, but I'm not really sure the lore was ever intended to be cohesive, but maybe correlative.

They crib some Mesopotamian, Greek, Shinto, and I think even Indian mythology and just mashed them together, which kinda works for that "realistically chaotic, confusing, and shifting mythology," vibe that Souls and ASOIAF both share.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hadlock posted:

Someone has recently built a 66m (215 ft) aluminum catamaran "super yacht" named Hodor. It's jet flat black and red and says "Hodor" on the side with Diablo-style font. Most private boats this size are gleaning white with chrome lettering.

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht-news/lonian-support-yacht-hodor

The only person attached to GoT that has enough net worth to build something like that is George RR Martin, he has a net worth of about $120mm; that boat probably cost at least half that much to construct

Did I mention it has it's own private submarine? And a couple of fire orange speed boats for good measure. And a helicopter pad. It's the boat that 8 year old me would have designed.

If GRRM did buy it, it's probably financed against book and tv royalties? It's not like he's getting any younger.

For a guy who drives a 1986 Mazda and lives in a lovely house in Arizona, this boat seems very out of character for him. Also the boat spends most of it's time between Barcelona and Miami.

Db wiess and David benioff are each worth about $15mm each and the stars of the show don't really make that much money compared to the construction cost of the boat. Plus maintaining the boat is probably in the $2-10mm/year range

Thoughts?

Money does not buy taste.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baronash posted:

To build and give away tens of millions of dollars of affordable housing you would literally be starting a charity because that'd be the full-time job of a whole team of people just for the administrative work alone.

What a terrible idea. How do you make money on it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Just Chamber posted:

Part 1 is kinda just a recap and her saying it was bad, part 2 will likely be worth watching as she breaks down why etc as she's very good at critique and might have some interesting takes. She's one of the best if not the best youtubers when it comes to breaking down film and tv, her Hobbit videos were great.

D&D are apparently going to finally show their faces at Comic Con next month, i cant wait for the boos.

Yeah she won a Hugo for her Hobbit trilogy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm hopeful for part 2. I hadn't noticed how much poo poo had been foretold. I was ok with engaging fan service at a lot of points but then they still stick rigidly and stupidly to the letter of some weird cliffs notes.

Like Shae. EVEN IF it was mandated that she HAD to die, they could've stayed true to the nature of the onscreen romance that developed. They could've had her refuse to testify and commit suicide, or have her betrayal be clearly motivated by ANY rational explanation. But nothing is explained in any method.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Groovelord Neato posted:

in what way then???? don't leave us hanging.

Probably where she says danaerys does nothing at nauseam, yet pointing out her flaws wrt racial minorities, and immediately glossing over that.

It's basically white liberal dipshitting that I just ignore because I and other racial minoritoes have dealt with it forever and do it ourselves.

I mean, that's what I would wager. She is a white woman, she probably subconsciously cares more about women representational of her chosen identities just as I sympathize with people that I identify with.

It's fine.

v watch it you baby form your own opinion she's pretty good at this v

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It can be much, but if it's for a subject you care about, I think her videos are pretty well reasoned, but dang.

Also, 9/11 WAS traumatic for America, collectively.

I mean that is a very succinct description of the impact it has had on the countries collective psyche.

It reminds me of my step grand father, the California Republican that worked at a defenae contractor since the 70s, still cried when talking about how shook he was as a young adult when Kennedy was assassinated in his 80s.

I'm sorry. Just my defense of the use of "traumatic" in context.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hate Star Wars but I actually liked The Last Jedi because it was different and interesting, and all the Star Wars fans get mad at me for having that opinion.

I liked it too, but I rarely modeled my identity over the actions of movie characters and factions, so the nerds I've unfortunately engaged with over it seemed to have more skin in the game.

Also strangely, the ones that envision themselves as space fascists seem to have more strong opinions on what women Jedi should or should not do. Curious, that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zaphod42 posted:

This seems awful dismissive.

I thought last jedi sucked but I don't model my life on jedi. Am I allowed to exist, or only strawmen?

Also Rey was the best part, but they did nothing with her. The movies suck for normal reasons too.

Yes. I wanted either Rey to turn into a Dark Jedi, OR have the Jedi destroy the First Order, take over the empire, and then have a twist where the Jedi winning isn't actually a good thing. They establish fanatic fascist control and force everyone to obey Jedi law, and Rey turns Sith and tries to fight for freedom of expression.

But they just did the most boring, stupid things ever.

No, I said the people I engaged on the subject did so they seemed to have higher personal stakes.

And Rey wasn't the the character those people argued about most in my anecdote, but Leia is more of a "force user" than proper Jedi.

My point was that the people I engaged in the subject seemed married to the space Nazi ideology that Disney has made more valid and palatable choice to kids and unsurprisingly were white kids of privilege in the military.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 2, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Its Coke posted:

Are you saying that Disney made the First Order sympathetic? I don't see that at all. They're always shown to be losers, blindly loyal, corrupt, obviously evil, etc.

There's a wide gulf between how it is shown in narrative and merchandised.

The messaging at the parks especially is problematic; they literally have Phasma recruiting volunteers for the empire and ask kids to pick a side -- or at least their parents.

I am not saying there's anything in particular wrong with playing a role, but if 365 days a year at every Wal-Mart and videogame related to Star Wars tells you the fascists are not the "evil," just the powerful magic ones, and in fact, look at these cool ones, what is that really telling kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I get that it's capitalism, it's just a matter of... They sold GI Joe brand Cobra toys, but it was to give the kid a villian to conquest or to role-play with, bit but the message of how the characters act is guided by the show mostly.

But I don't know how impressionable minds react to being told they're allowed to be the aesthetically similar, ideologically unclear, fascism analog, because it is a choice.

It's like how high school me totally misunderstood starship troopers 3 times at different periods in my life guided by my developing worldviews and understanding of irony, but it's militaristic view if the world feel just to my dumb 13 year old mind and I thought I would be the next Rico.

12 years of the Army was a lot less flashy and the bugs turning out to be poor people in a far land turned me pretty cynical now.

I drat myself for not being clever enough to figure it out earlier.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 3, 2019