Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Highgarden got hosed by the Lannisters, and House Tyrell was literally wiped off the map as a result so I'm pretty sure they're not in play anymore. Dorne is currently leaderless after Ellaria was captured by Euron; she's still being held prisoner in King's Landing. Maybe Dorne still pledged to Dany, no idea. The Vale is probably still pledged to House Stark even after Littlefinger got ghosted because gently caress Littlefinger.

[edit] In addition, Euron hosed off overseas to go hire the Golden Company to fight for Cersei after the bulk of the Lannister forces were decimated by the Dothraki and Drogon. Everyone else is pretty much converging at Winterfell: Jaime's currently headed north after Cersei told him to gently caress off, likely to help hold Winterfell against the dead. Guess Brienne, Pod, and maybe Bronn will be there too. Jon and Dany are currently sailing towards White Harbor with the Unsullied, to later meet up with the Dothraki at Winterfell.

It just occurred to me how lovely it is that they didn't even try to negotiate for the release of Ellaria when they went to talk to Cersei. Their ally is being tortured in Cersei's dungeon as they speak, and no one even mentions her.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

They probably assumed she was dead, which you think they would have learned not to do by now given how much “I thought you/they were dead!” stuff is in s7

Yeah, you would think they would at least ask about her.

Also, the Sand Snakes are all bastards, so there is no way Ellaria is the official ruler of Dorne. Surely, the actual ruler is some noble lord, who was simply allied with the Sand Snakes, and who would still support Dany's claim?

Nothing about the Dorne plotline makes any sense, really.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Bastards are treated differently in Dorne.

They are treated better, yes, but they still can't inherit titles.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 14, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would still like to know what the Night Kings plan was if Dany had never arrived. Was he just going to march to the wall and go "drat, I really hoped we would have found a dragon by now."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

We don't really know why magic is returning though.

Also, the wall is magic, so magic returning should make it more powerful, not less :colbert:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

Why is the Iron Bank still lending Cersei insane amounts of money even though she'll obviously never be able to pay any of it back

The money is presumably loaned to "The Seven Kingdoms", not Cersei personally. Whomever ends up on the Iron Throne will have to pay it back, just like Cersei had to pay back money loaned when Robert was king.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

"Hello, old friend"

"We are not so different, you and I".

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Hah was the number really supposed to be 100,000 Dothraki? With their horses? Come on. They really do have issues with numbers in this series.

The army's a lot smaller now!

Khal Drogo was supposed to have 100,000 Dothraki in his horde alone. Dany got all the hordes in the end, so presumably it's way more than that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

That's just how her face is, she's got resting :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vV0820t6ZU

More Emilia Clarke eyebrow game.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Varys literally spent a good amount of time talking about which ruler would be better for common people and that they deserved food for their children etc in the last episode.

Varys freaking out because "tens of thousands" will die was hilariously lame. King's Landing has 1 million people. That's like 1% casualties. What the hell did he think was going to happen in a war?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkg-p2K3eI

"I've never known bells to mean surrender."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

Man, Dany figured out Qyburn's cloning tanks right quick to get her forces back up to snuff

Guess they're not big enough for dragons

That's actually a pretty small force, considering she was supposed to have at least 100.000 Dothraki and somehow only half of them died in the Winterfell battle.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's also dumb because they had the dothraki charge solely for the cool shot of the fire scythes winking out. didn't make a lot of sense in the story.

Also, exactly half of them apparently just dropped their weapons and ran away, which kinda robs the moment of a lot of pathos in retrospect.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

The Tarly moment was just flat-out horrific, though.

Keep in mind that the Tarly's were Tyrell bannermen, who betrayed Dany to the Lannisters.

She wasn't just killing random POWs; she executed traitors. Ned Stark would have cut off their heads without a second thought.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, because those sections are from Dany's POV. And she's self-righteous as all get out.

It's exactly that self-righteousness that makes her actions at the end not make any sense. Burning a city full of random civilians doesn't fit into her self-image as a noble savior liberating the masses from oppression. It's not that Dany is too good to do terrible things. This particular action simply isn't her style.

All her other actions had some kind of self-righteous justification, but with the burning of King's Landing, the writers don't even bother having her try to justify herself. It's completely out of character.

Edit:

Vichan posted:

"I refuse to follow this foreign queen!"

- Notorious Targaryen loyalist Randyll Tarly

Dany was born in Westeros and has by far the best claim to the throne of anyone still standing. Him choosing Cersei over her makes no sense.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 1, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The poor Prince of Dorne didn't even get a name, even though he ought to be an important person that everyone would be talking about.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm sure they just had lots of off-screen adventures in the 6 months (minutes in screen time) it took the army to march there.

That reminds me of how completely ridiculous it is that the Lannister army could march all the way from King's Landing to Highgarden, taking one of the most heavily fortified castles in Westeros, so fast that Dany doesn't even learn about it before it is too late. I feel like this detail doesn't get enough hate.

Even if we ignore the fact that taking a castle is supposed to require a protracted siege, simply marching the army all the way there would have taken a long time, probably involving skirmishes along the way. There should have been more than enough time to send a raven to Dany, so she could swoop in on her dragons and save the day. At the very least, Lady Oleanna could have evacuated when she learned of the approaching invasion force.

It's especially egregious since we later learn that a bunch of people stuck on an ice floe beyond the wall can get a message to Dany fast enough for her to come rescue them the next day.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

An essential part of a siege is archers that can shoot down ravens, I remember that from when the northern armies turned up at the Twins...

Like I said, even if we ignore the siege, just marching the army there would have taken a very long time. She could simply send a raven before they arrived.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 26, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPSKCrL_tM

Grey Worm just released his first album.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Dorne, a nation whose words are Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken. are not just words because geographically they are akin to a land war with Asia and how even during the age of dragons they could not be conquered because armies would always fail to take Dorne. So yes of course a depleted Lannister force that just got done, and was still involved in, numerous other fronts just takes it over easily.

I don't think the Lannisters took over Dorne at all. I mean, "The New Prince of Dorne" pledges to Dany towards the end, implying that they had been neutral for a while.

It is never stated, but I assumed they were just busy with internal power struggles after the sand snakes were defeated.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I mean that's the other issue -- Ellaria and the Sand Snakes take over Dorne by murdering Doran despite that not really being how this whole thing works

Yeah, it makes no sense for the sand snakes to be the official rulers of Dorne, but maybe they were ruling through a puppet of some kind?

Here is how I would explain things if I was the writer:
The sand snakes have a lot of allies in Dorne, so they manage to install a puppet prince on the throne, ruling through him.
After the Lannisters take out the sand snakes, the puppet prince loses his support and is toppled from the throne.
The remaining Dornish forces return home, to settle the matter of succession.
Eventually, "The New Prince of Dorne" emerges victorious and re-pledges his support to Dany.

This could all be handled with a few extra lines of dialogue, without needing to change any of the big scenes.

Similarly, with the Reach, you have to assume that Lord Tarly convinced some of the other Tyrell bannermen to defect along with him since his influence was the stated reason why Jamie wanted to flip him in the first place.

Simply having Jamie go "It sure is good that you managed to convince most of the Tyrell bannermen to join you, Lord Tarly," would go a long way towards explaining why Highgarden fell so easily, and why the Lannister's have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of soldiers

Instead, they have Lady Oleanna make an asinine remark about how the Tyrells don't know how to fight, even though they have the largest army in Westeros and won the battle of Blackwater.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 17, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Secret-History-Mary-Gentle/dp/1857987446

For an insight into 15th century mercenaries, I recommend reading historically accurate historical novel "Ash: A Secret History".

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 3, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I am still annoyed that Sherlock spent the entire first episode doing a really cool take on Watson as a badass thrill-seeker who is completely calm under danger and actually misses the excitement of war, only to abandon it entirely in episode 2 in favor of standard comic-relief Watson.

I want more badass Watsons, dammit!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

That's my exact thinking when she attacked that grain caravan or whatever in the final season.

Remember when it was a big deal that a long winter was coming, and they only had enough grain for an average one? It sure is good we decided never to mention that again!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm reminded of the fake scenes they wasted hours and hours shooting for Season 8 to throw the paparazzi and leakers off track (only for the whole season's plot to be leaked before any of it even aired anyway). One of those scenes involved Jon and Cersei alone in King's Landing discussing something that looked rather tense with Gregor looking on ominously behind them. Could you imagine what that scene would have been if it was actually real?

To be fair, it was season 7 that was leaked entirely in advance. Season 8 leaks dribbled out slowly, and many of them were completely wrong. The same guy who managed to leak season 7 stubbornly insisted that Tyrion would be the one to burn down King's Landing, and that he would be tried for it afterwards. This now seems like a misunderstanding from people sneaking peeks at the filming. Might have been a better ending, though.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's all moot anyway since everyone is going to starve to death in the long winter.

Remember when it was a plot point that they only had enough food for a medium-length winter and it was implied that the coming winter would be super long? Then Dany burns all the food and... this is never mentioned again.

I mean WINTER IS COMING was pretty much the catchprase of the show, and it never goes anywhere.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Grey Worm was hanging out at a castle and didn't notice an approaching fleet.

Those sailboats are so fast, they're just on you before you know it!

Spyglass? Scouts? Lookouts? What are you talkin' bout, Willis?

There's just really no way to prepare against a massive fleet sailing into your port. Nothing can be done.

And then the Unsullied just appear in front of King's Landing in a later episode, with no explanation, even though they made a big deal about how bad it was that they were trapped in Casterly Rock with no food.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The dumber part is “The Tyrells didn’t actually have an army”, when their army was literally the reason Kings Landing didn’t get sacked in Season 2

To be fair, one of their main bannermen defected to the Lannisters just before the battle. You kan kinda sorta make it work by assuming he convinced a lot of the other Tyrell bannermen to join him, so they genuinely didn't have much of their army left.

Even so, a full-scale invasion of the Reach, including, presumably, a siege at Highgarden should have taken A LOT longer than we are shown. At the very least, there would have been more than enough time to send a raven to Dany, so she could swoop in on her dragons and save the day. The fact that Dany is shown only learning about the invasion after Highgarden has fallen is completely ridiculous.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What the hell was going on in Dorne anyway, between the capture of the Sand Snakes and the emergence of The New Prince of Dorne? I mean, if the new prince supports Dany, why did they ever stop supporting her in the first place? Everyone just stops talking about Dorne entirely, even though they are major allies of Dany and still have a large army left.

I guess we just have to assume that a Dany-hating prince temporarily seized power after their big loss and pursued isolationist policies, until he was eventually ousted by the Dany-loyalist NPD. Still, it would have been nice to have at least a few lines of dialogue about all this.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, the snakes and Ellaria continue having some presence up until season 8, they ally with the Yara's iron borne defectors, captured and tortured by Cersei and Euron, etc, it's never made clear how they contribute to the war effort given that they're never shown to be supported by any dornish troops but I guess the background implication is that once they murdered Doran they absorbed his aristocratic powers and now control the armies of Dorne, which never come into play even tacitly in any of the battles on the show.

Remember that Tyrion's original plan was for the armies of Dorne and The Reach to lay siege to King's Landing, so that the inhabitants would feel good about being conquered by fellow Seven Kingdomers. That's where they were headed when their ships were attacked by Euron*. Dany definitely had the full support of the Dornish government and their armies at this moment (even though they couldn't be bothered to hire any extras to portray Dornish troops).

Logically, this shouldn't have changed just because a group of bastard women were captured, but I guess their government lost faith in Dany after their disastrous defeat at sea. Then I guess the New Prince of Dorne seized power later and decided to ally with Dany after all. It just feels weird for none of the characters to ever mention any of this with a single word. A lot of the plot holes could have been fixed with some extra dialogue.

* Come to think of it, this also explains why the Tyrells are defeated so easily later. The bulk of their armies were lost at sea. I never even thought about that.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 29, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Varys, one of the most "realpolitik" characters in the show, is shocked when the conqueror he invites to Westeros ends up killing more people than is perhaps necessary

Worse, he was shocked that she was going to invade the city at all because this would kill "tens of thousands" of people. Tens of thousands in a city with a population of half a million. That's like 2% casualties.

This is the stated reason why he betrays her. What the hell did he think was going to happen in an invasion of Westeros?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I do like how a large part of the final seasons was characters trying to convince Cersei to help them at no benefit to herself, at least in her mind, only for her to not do it.

I like how nobody even tried to ask Cersei to release Ellaria Sand from her dungeon. No one ever mentions her again after she is captured.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I’m sure everyone on the Hobbit was trying their best but they were told to start full production with only like a third of the pre production time the LoTR trilogy had and also partway through were then told to stretch it to 3 films.

The cast also tried striking for better conditions, only for the government to pass a "Hobbit Law" prohibiting actors from collective bargaining.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had always assumed it was sort of an ongoing "well if it works" thing than a specific attempt.

Killing the fat machismo man with wine was a generally successful plan to escape accusation, and it was just Ned's lack of fortune that it happened when it did.

I guess that's basically headcanon though.

That's pretty much explicitly stated in the book (very minor book spoilers, I guess):

Game of Thrones posted:

“Oh, indeed. Cersei gave him the wineskins, and told him it was Robert’s favorite
vintage.” The eunuch shrugged. “A hunter lives a perilous life. If the boar had not done
for Robert, it would have been a fall from a horse, the bite of a wood adder, an arrow
gone astray . . . the forest is the abbatoir of the gods. It was not wine that killed the king.
It was your mercy.”

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I've forgotten, how did she pay for the mercenary army she had at the end? Did she just talk the Iron Bank into another loan, or did she strong-arm them somehow?

The Lannisters sacked Highgarden and stole all the gold. Cersei then bizarrely used the gold to pay the debt to the Iron Bank and then immediately afterwards took out a new loan, which she used to hire the army. I guess paying back the original loan improved her credit rating, or something. It would have made a lot more sense to simply renegotiate the terms of the original loan with the gold as collateral, but her having the money in the first place was well explained.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 4, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I thought Dany destroyed their loot. I guess Cersei just gave the bank a big lump of half-melted gold coins?

(I know melted gold would still have plenty of value, but it’s a funny visual to imagine)

No, Dany only destroyed the food. There is a line dialogue saying that all the gold made it safely back to King's Landing.

It's a good thing the much-hyped coming winter turned out to be completely inconsequential, so losing all the food from the Reach was no big deal.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Other than Drogo (and that's a stretch), who's career has "taken off"? Sansa was in a terrible X-Men movie and is out of big Hollywood films. Masie might be doing some indie work? Robb was in a terrible Marvel film that, despite the assurance of a sequel is probably DOA. Emilia was in a rom com or something and isn't in anything of note. I guess Jamie gets work?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1523618773785321479

Maisie is apparently doing a zany comedy based on the real-life kidnapping and rape of a mormon boy.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 17, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ&t=220s

At least we will always have the bad lip reading, so something good came of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

That and Black Market which is just an unforgivably terrible episode.

My favorite part of Black Market is when the hooker asks Lee for "another twenty" even though the whole point of the episode is that there is no money and everyone uses the barter system.