Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
So if the night king is the only load bearing boss - what was the deal with Craster's incest sons being frozen magic'd?
I guess they were dead and being kept alive by his magic too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Xealot posted:

Yeah, is it? I fail to see how it'd change anything for her...it doesn't matter if Jon or fAegon were her nephews or her brothers, they're equally preferred in either case because Westeros is sexist.
I didn't think so - I thought it was sexist to the extent of sons before daughters, but still daughters before uncles? I mean, Cersei ascends to the throne so women can be head of state.
Jon is still a bastard unless bigamy is legal. And bastards have no legal standing (although, sometime people like to back them and have a war about it).

At the end of the day, the only legitimacy any ruler has is what they can enforce - Dany is no more deserving of the throne just because her ancestors were bigger murdering bastards than the king/s at the time.
Is there a stronger religious element in the books? Why does she think she's the "rightful" ruler? Did she even have a religion?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

If I remember right Fake Aegon would supersede Daenerys in the line of succession as the first born son of the first born son.
Haven't read the books - who is Fake Aegon the son of? Rhaegar's wife?

Daenerys trumps anyone who's not legitimate. And bigmay isn't legal as far as I can tell in Westeros, so any 'second marriages' of Rhaegar aren't legitimate?

EDIT: ie, Jon is still a bastard and she still has the better actual 'legal' claim, as far as you want to call any of it legal.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
^^yeah, nah, if we're backing things up with "I have power and therefor I declare this thing because I have power" then there's no point in discussing who's the 'rightful' ruler because it's just whoever has the biggest stick (which it mostly is anyway). It's not Jon either way at the end of the day.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Fake Aegon is purportedly Rhaegar's firstborn son by Elia Martell, [...] official story is that the Varys\Illyrio faction swapped Rhaegar's baby before the sacking and smuggled him to Essos where he was raised by one of Rhaegar's closest confidants, a man named Jon Connington who served briefly as Hand of the King during the rebellion, [...] allied with the Golden Company, who are not just some random mercenary company, they're specifically a bunch of Westerosi exiled nobles, so this Aegon who has a very strong claim to the throne (allegedly) is backed up by a troop of westerosi nobles and old targaryen loyalists as he invades westeros,
As long as if anyone's lying they can keep their mouth shut and proof hidden, it almost sounds good. Only problem is bringing back all these exiled nobles is going to cause upset across the continent. At least all Daenerys wants is the throne.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
^^ him dying might release him from lifetime service to the Night's Watch on a technicality, but I don't think you can takesies-backsies renouncing titles etc unless your vow was very specific.

Asgerd posted:

I’m pretty sure that’s show exclusive. In the book it’s stated that a marriage can only be officially annulled if it isn’t consummated, which Rhaegar’s obviously was.
Lol, I must have missed that in the show. How would that even work?
Yeah, just gonna annul my marriage and make my existing children bastards. That won't start a literal war between the crown and my wife's homeland.

I guess maybe the writers forgot that there were other children and that their (and their mother's) murder was why Oberyn did that cool fight scene with the Mountain, who got zombified and was still in the show in the last season. Like, things having causes and thinking back on them is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Tyrion going from dropping verbal bombs to "hey VARYS you know what you DON'T HAVE"
This is the kind of dumb, reductive, people-are-body-parts-instead-of-minds thinking from which "Sansa is jealous another woman is pretty" stems.

I wonder if it was some sort of authorial inadequacy coming through? Like they may be hack writers who don't understand the importance of themes, but they have a PENIS, which makes them better than an intelligent man.