Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

I feel like the concept for this is backwards. It should start with a detailed head and finish in a dickbutt spewing scribbly lines of poo poo everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

GRRM also said he loves Lost?

I distinctly remember him saying he hated the ending to Lost, and that ending the series like that was something he wanted to avoid with his own story. (By avoiding an ending entirely, apparently).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Regarding the time frame in the setting, bear in mind that there's ambiguity within the story itself as to how accurate those dates are. I remember a chapter in one book (and maybe a scene in the show?) where Sam is telling Jon about how various Citadel historians think that the common dates like 8000 years ago for the Long Night or whatever are bullshit, and that it was probably more like 1000 years ago. The common dates are basically mythic folklore history, and therefore pretty suspect. Whether GRRM will actually go anywhere with this is anyone's guess, of course, but it does give him a potential out in case he wants to make the history of the world a bit more believable.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The last episode will be a love letter to the real (book) fans, and just be Riker in a holodeck simulation of Hot Pie's kitchen eating Direwolf bread and lemon cakes for 80 minutes.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Euron's problem is much the same as with the character he replaced: Ramsay. They're fun characters for a bit , but their shtick gets old fast, and the writers got way too indulgent with them.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

and learned Bran/Rickon were killed

This reminds me of another idiotic, nonsensical change the show made: having Catelyn release Jaime before learning of her sons' 'deaths.'

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Laterite posted:

tbf the meryn killing scene is pretty much verbatim from one of the "sample" chapters from winds of winter (which is really just a leftover chapter from dance with dragons, because gurm hasn't actually written any new words since that came out).

It's not Meryn Trant in the preview chapter, though; it's Raff the Sweetling, the guy who kills Lommy Greenhands way back in ACOK and lands himself, along with most of the Mountain's men, on Arya's hit list pretty quick. The way Arya dispatches him in the preview chapter echoes his killing of Lommy: "You'll have to carry me," "Think so?"

Of course, Raff isn't in the show. They have Polliver as the one who kills Lommy, and who later gets shanked by Arya in the tavern fight, with Arya basically using the dialogue from that TWOW chapter as she kills him, as opposed to the book where it's the Tickler she kills (a kill they give to Jaqen in the show), while Polliver is taken out by the Hound in the same fight.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv5y2Mqf6wA

(The bit where he says 'Game of Thrones')

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I liked how a lot of people would refuse to accept the script leaks because of how pants-on-head idiotic they were, and then the episodes played out exactly as they said lol.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Jorah should've worn his actually-effective-back-when-the-writers-cared S1 armour, not the 'lol we're done with this poo poo gently caress you' piece of tin he put on at the end

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

The scenario plays a lot differently in the books.

In the books, Tyrion is pushed over the edge after he finds out the truth about Tysha and actively asks Varys "yo, which passage will lead me to kill my father", he incidentally ends up finding Shae on his way and kills her out of pure anger, and then comfronts his father to kill him.

It's a little bit different to this: Varys is leading him through the secret passages to help him escape when Tyrion himself realizes they're close to the Tower of the Hand (likely because it was truly was the only way out, but at the same time Varys almost certainly knew and had probably planned what was about to happen) and tells him to wait while he goes and pays his father a visit. Whether he actually intended to kill him at this point is unknown. It's only after he finds Shae in Tywin's bed and kills her that he grabs the crossbow and goes full FYAD spoiler.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I still smile a bit when I think about that scene where a dude on a boat snipes a dragon hundreds of yards away with a ballista.

I had stopped watching the show by that point but was told to look it up. One in a million, kid

Never forget this was also the infamous 'Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet' scene, where a person on a dragon high up in the air with an aerial view was somehow surprised by a big fuckoff fleet of ships below her.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
That is definitely much better, especially the change to showing a barrage of shots at the start rather than the first three hitting with unerring accuracy one after the other in the original. When I first saw that scene, I remember turning to my friend and saying, "I guarantee you in the final battle they're going to have a ton of those things set up like flak guns all over the place, and they will not land a single loving shot on Dany's dragon." Show didn't disappoint!

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
S1 also has that fight between Jorah and the Dothraki guy where his plate armour is shown withstanding a slashing attack. It made for a nice change from the usual portrayal of plate armour being little better than tinfoil.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

and winning fights by being impervious to crotch kicks

This was a great shark-jump moment in the show because prior to that scene I remember some people predicting that's exactly what was going to happen, since by that point, you could pretty much play the game of 'What is the most pants-on-head idiotic thing these morons could cook up here?' and sure enough they would make your dreams come true. Despite this, other people were like, "Yeah, even D&D aren't that stupid. C'mon."

I like to think it put things beyond doubt for anyone who was somehow still on the fence about them.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Never forget

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

Now that I think about it, did those ballista ever hit anything again after they killed the dragon? I recall King’s Landing being ringed by them and doing jack poo poo.

After the first dragon got murked by a handful of ballista bolts with unerring accuracy, I remember turning to my dad and saying, "All those ballistas defending King's Landing? You watch - they won't land a single shot on Dany." Show was nothing if not predictable by that point.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Those dudes hosed up so bad, they got kicked off of doing a modern Star Wars project, which says quite a lot about how bad GoT became near the end there

Was this ever actually confirmed to be true, though? I mean, I want it to be true because gently caress those dipshits, and obviously the timing of it seemed like more than just coincidence, but AFAIK the official story was that they signed a more lucrative deal with Netflix, and simply didn't have enough hours in the day for SW as well. Maybe that's just PR bullshit, but then again, is your average Disney exec really going to give a poo poo that some whiny nerds are upset about Daenerys or whatever, when the simple fact is that the show continued to pull in massive numbers of viewers right to the very end, and made a shitload of money? I know the whole S8 backlash seemed like a big drama thing at the time, but I kind of feel like it was probably just a tiny blip on the radar for hopelessly-up-their-own-asses Hollywood types and their corporate masters.

But I do want to believe . . .

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Is there any explanation given in the books for why Joffrey is a sociopath? I realize his mother and his real father aren’t fine upstanding citizens, and the person he believes is his father is an alcoholic and not real attentive, etc.

There's a story in the books that when Joffrey was very young, he killed a pregnant cat so he could cut it open and look at its unborn kittens, even showing one of them off to Robert, who then beat him severely. It's either implied or outright stated that after this Robert, who was a drunken faildad anyway, basically had nothing to do with his upbringing from that point on, and that Cersei just indulged the hell out of him and did nothing to curtail his worst excesses and impulses, resulting in the utterly spoiled and monstrous brat he would eventually become.

I've often felt that GRRM had Jeffrey Dahmer in mind when he created Joffrey, both for the name similarity and the fact that they both abused animals when they were kids. Nothing says 'true psychopath' quite like that.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

some bust on that guy posted:

When they wanted something to happen in the later seasons, that's all they did. "This character is stupid and didn't think about it". "Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet". Littlefinger was exactly that with Ramsay. I wouldn't even have an issue with Sansa replacing Jeyne if it made any sense and it just didn't hurt your mind to think about, and they didn't do it purely for the shock value.

Speaking of Ramsay, some of the best examples of this were when Roose had a complete brainfart in his son's presence, allowing himself to be easily betrayed and shanked, and when Stannis led a scattered and disorganized infantry attack against a load of cavalry in the open. It's like Ramsay had some of kind of 'stupefying field' he projected around himself.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

The show downplayed Dany’s worst aspects while championing a lot of her stuff. They did it with a few characters, Tyrion got the same treatment, and Stannis got it the opposite way.

Tyrion's whitewashing so they could completely flanderize him into "funny dwarfman who drinks and knows things!" was one of the things I hated the most about season 5 onwards.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

If Tyrion got crossbowed when trying to make a deal with Cersei in season 8 that would have been a little funny

He was so loving lame by that point that it's probably one of the few 'expectations subverted!' twists D&D could have done that I honestly would've cheered.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the show that did this pretty well was Rome, I feel like they didn't give Caesar a particularly heroic or villainous representation in terms of music, lighting, etc, he was just kinda doing his stuff and you could think he was a tyrant or a benevolent dictator who wanted to take power but also use it better than the old roman noblemen and poo poo

Amusingly, I remember there was a story kicking around back in the day that Rome was the show that convinced Martin HBO would be the best choice to adapt his magnum opus. Perhaps if we'd gotten the creative talent behind that show instead of the useless fratboy hacks we ended up with (yeah George, they knew who Jon's mother was - amazing litmus test you got there) things might have turned out a lot better. (Or it would've been cancelled after 2 seasons whatev).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Maybe not a great show anyway, but the American version of Life on Mars was definitely ruined by its ending. I couldn't even believe it was serious at first.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
^^^
To expand on this a bit

Taear posted:

Is it different from the real one?
That it's the afterlife

In the US version, it turns out that they're literally astronauts on a mission to Mars. They were in some kind of suspended animation during the journey and had VR simulations to keep their brains active and healthy. Tyler's program hosed up for some reason causing the split in timelines from his original choice of being a cop in 2008. When he wakes up, he sees that everyone else is just a fellow astronaut on the ship. Gene Hunt is actually his dad. Yes I am serious, it's that dumb.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

holy poo poo lmao

I actually just watched a clip of it on Youtube to refresh my memory, and I realized I left out the best part: After Tyler wakes up and reacquaints himself with the crew and their real-life personas, they get a message from mission control reminding them about the importance of trying to find genetic material on Mars, i.e. :airquote:life on Mars:airquote:, to which Michael Imperioli's character responds, "This will be one successful . . . gene hunt!" Cue Harvey Keitel's entrance: oh it turns out his real name is Major Tom . . .

It's so ridiculous and on the nose that I guess you could argue it may have been a hallucination on Tyler's part, especially since in the very last scene when he and Keitel set foot on Mars, you see a close-up of Hunt's white loafer on the soil instead of his Mars boot or whatever. They did leave some ambiguity there, but it was still incredibly incredibly dumb and rendered the whole show before it utterly pointless.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The only person actually saddled with a lengthy travel time later on was Gendry during his infamous boat voyage. But then they made it up to him by having him run back to the Wall all the way from that frozen lake in like a day lol.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Even if the BSG ending was kinda bad, it still had some really powerful character moments. Baltar's, "I know about farming" line still sticks out in my mind years later.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Honestly I don't know why they didn't just have them land in Bronze Age Greece, which would have aligned nicely with the various Olympian parallels in Colonial society.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

RIght after the Pegasus arc is the perfect place to stop

The New Caprica arc was pretty good too, and arguably featured one of the single best scenes in the show (The Adama Maneuver). The overall downturn in quality didn't really start in earnest until shortly after that. Part of the issue for me was Baltar's interminable scenes on the Cylon basestar, and all the squabbling and bickering among the skinjobs. It made them significantly less threatening and enigmatic than they had been before - this was where it really became apparent as well that all the talk of a 'plan' was complete guff.

Baltar's trial at the end of season 3 was great, though, and although some of the Final Five choices were dumb, I thought the build-up to the revelation and the moment itself were well done.

I think the only real high point in season 4, aside from the final battle anyway, was the mutiny. I did also like the first shot of them on the fakeout Earth (or Earth 1 or whatever we're calling it), where everyone looks completely crestfallen except for Tyrol, who just stands there smiling at the grand cosmic joke being played on them.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I never the read the Expanse books. Are Belters depicted as being weak-as-poo poo compared to Earthers then? Was Amos owning the poo poo out of Miller way more brutal in the book if he was basically just beating on a fleshy twig?