Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

whatever happened to ellaria sand? we're just left to assume she died after watching her daughter die?

An indeterminate amount of time passed between her last appearance and now so it's safe to assume she died in the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Like for example the scene exactly preceding that one when Jon shanks Daenerys. No final words, no tears, no despair? This is supposed to be the climax of the whole story! What is this, 9th grade?

I though the same thing when I watched it at first but he stabbed her in the heart. Maybe that's a little heavy-handed in its own way but that's why she just collapsed and died pretty much instantly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They didn't even come up with a believable cover story. 'Star Wars? Nope, too busy, sorry.'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Seems unlikely we'll ever get there but it'll be interesting to see if Tyrion's sabotage of Dany in the books is out of spite instead of incompetence.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gorelab posted:

I vaguely feel that they got far enough off of where GRRM was going that they should have just talked with him for a show specific ending.

I get the feeling a rift developed around the fact that they cut Lady Stoneheart. After Season 4 he was 'too busy' to write for the show but still had time for the 50,000 other things he was too busy for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of Jamie...why did he rape his sister? (I believe this happened in the book as well)

The gross/too much detail answer is that in the books Cersei always feigns non-consent with Jaime but they didn't establish that detail beforehand in the show so it looked like rape instead of a weird sex thing like it actually is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Dany burned a woman alive who's crime was that she had killed the leader of a gang of rapists that had repeatedly raped her and burned her village. That should've been a sign that maybe she wasn't all benevolent.

The problem with this and every other instance where Dany did something similar is that the audience was always pushed in the direction of thinking Dany's actions were right, or at least necessary. We weren't encouraged to think about it except in retrospect when King's Landing burned.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They probably should have just thrown out GRRM's ending to be honest. There's a couple ways they could have gone with the story that might have satisfied more people.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GRRM should have taken six months off from whatever he's actually doing these days and written the final season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was just thinking, if there was one moment that was a canary in the coalmine it was probably the cousin Orson scene.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the direwolves just ended up not mattering at all because only Bran is a warg in the show. But there's a couple pivotal scenes in the first few seasons that involve the direwolves so you can't just cut them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think someone did a big long effort YouTube video about how the whole "prostitutes gave him his coin back" could have been a ploy by Littlefinger as an attempt to get Podrick coming back as a means of getting intel on Tyrion. It kind of makes sense too since in the scene Tyrion is super enthralled to hear the story and Bronn is just like "they're after something."

No one in the show put this much thought into it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder what happened to the baby white walker

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

When I saw how many posts this thread got i thought the 6th book got a release date or something

Oh we did, it's 'not soon'

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/06/23/writing-reading-writing/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

How does his arc in the story end again?

It hasn't, but he's currently held captive by the Yunkaii in Slaver's Bay.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like Jon Snow got robbed almost as bad as Dany. What's there is fine but it feels like he should have been the one to destroy the WW, or at least have some role beyond setting up the chessboard for the final battle.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda hosed up when you think about the fact that Ramsay had a more interesting arc than many of our heroes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Isn't fAegon the 'one true king of Westeros' anyway, which would erase a lot of the show's ending? He's Rhaegar's oldest male offspring assuming no one manages to prove elsewise.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's weird how Bran is one of the most magical characters in the show but it never ends up mattering that much to the plot. His biggest impact is finding out Jon isn't a bastard, except there are a handful of reasons why that doesn't matter anyway.

You could have had him not give the dagger to Arya and he would have been an okay second choice behind Jon for killing the Night King.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

bobjr posted:

It would have been kind of funny if when Tyrion showed up to talk Cersei just had him shot with a ton of crossbows.

I was so sure Tyrion was going to get killed with Joffrey's crossbow but they seemingly brought it up for no reason

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm curious why they went with annullment, specifically. Both divorce and polygamous marriage seem to have precedent in Westeros, at least in the books. Isn't annullment like a Catholic loophole for divorces which are otherwise not allowed?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Does anything really 'stick' in the public consciousness these days? Trump was impeached 8 months ago and it feels like ancient history.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's going to be some poo poo in the books if Tyrion does all the same stuff to gently caress over Dany, but spitefully, and then he becomes Hand Of The King again.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

(talking about the 2013 meeting with D&D) It wasn’t easy for me. I didn’t want to give away my books. It’s not easy to talk about the end of my books. Every character has a different end. I told them who would be on the Iron Throne, and I told them some big twists like Hodor and “hold the door,” and Stannis’s decision to burn his daughter. We didn’t get to everybody by any means. Especially the minor characters, who may have very different endings.

Stannis killing his daughter was one of the most agonizing scenes in Thrones and one of the moments Martin had told the producers he was planning for The Winds of Winter (though the book version of the scene will play out a bit differently).

GEORGE R. R. MARTIN: It’s an obscenity to go into somebody’s mind. So Bran may be responsible for Hodor’s simplicity, due to going into his mind so powerfully that it rippled back through time. The explanation of Bran’s powers, the whole question of time and causality—can we affect the past? Is time a river you can only sail one way or an ocean that can be affected wherever you drop into it? These are issues I want to explore in the book, but it’s harder to explain in a show. I thought they executed it very well, but there are going to be differences in the book. They did it very physical—“hold the door” with Hodor’s strength. In the book, Hodor has stolen one of the old swords from the crypt. Bran has been warging into Hodor and practicing with his body, because Bran had been trained in swordplay. So telling Hodor to “hold the door” is more like “hold this pass”—defend it when enemies are coming—and Hodor is fighting and killing them. A little different, but same idea.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cersei got more characterization scenes than Dany did so it's weird to blame the actress...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda interesting everyone ended up doing a 180 on (f)Aegon once the show ending came out. I think GRRM knew what he was doing when he introduced the character, whether he will ever actually finish that part of the story is a different matter entirely though obviously.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Drogon took Dany’s corpse to Volantis and the priestess running the Red Temple who wasn’t Melisandre went “Oh, I can fix this” and brought her back to life like Jon was.

I know you're kidding but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did something like this if they ever get desperate enough to make a sequel series.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I wonder what, besides a cruise ship's load of money, would it take to get Emilia Clarke (and the other actors with surviving characters) back to do anything else Game of Thrones related in a post-Season 8 setting?

You'd be surprised. They seemed to have fun making it and liked each other as people. Maybe if 10 or 15 years down the line and Game of Thrones is still the biggest role they ever had they might be open to it...

Game of Thrones as a franchise definitely isn't going away. This thread hasn't really been active enough to cover it but recently they've been talking about possibly doing Dunk and Egg and Robert's Rebellion spinoffs...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if they'll ever do an Aegon's Conquest show. I guess it would be hard to make it work as TV because the story basically boils down to "Aegon Targaryen and his sisters have dragons and no one else does. The end.'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xealot posted:

GoT set up a lot of potential parallels between the main story and Robert's Rebellion (Cersei as a Mad Queen, the Stark/Targaryan alliance as an inversion of the Stark/Baratheon one, Jaime as a possible Queenslayer, and what-not.) They probably should've leaned into those parallels and referenced way more of Robert's Rebellion in the last two seasons (use Bran to show the Battle at the Trident, etc.), but they didn't. And I suspect part of that was hubris, that maybe they'd make a Robert's Rebellion show one day and should leave their options open.

They didn't do that because they hate flashbacks. Which is weird because the original pilot had one. It sucks we'll probably never see it because they're embarrassed of it. And if they're embarrassed of it, it has to be really bad.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think Emilia Clarke is necessarily a bad actress based on GoT, the writing for Dany was pretty one-note. Pushing back too hard on that kinda stuff is how you get a reputation for being 'difficult to work with'.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cersei was pretty much just waiting to die in Season 8. And I don't mean her character was written to feel that way.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've never seen someone give less fucks about their fandom. He doesn't even give enough fucks to admit to himself that he doesn't give any.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They were going for unexpected and it was definitely that but the problem is it made no sense to give that plot beat to Arya. I don't give a poo poo about the ninja jump or that she snuck up on them or any of that, even if you fixed those problems, the moment mainly belongs to Jon.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TV's more of a visual medium than books and they decided they wanted to show the tower of joy so they needed some explanation of how 3 swordsmen almost defeated 7 swordsmen. I don't think 'Arthur Dayne used two swords' is a great explanation but 'They almost won because Arthur Dayne was the greatest swordsman who ever lived' is difficult to convey on TV.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jon got to gently caress off beyond the wall which he's probably okay with. Sansa got to be a queen. Tyrion got to be hand of the king. Bran became the three-eyed Raven, helped defeat the Others, and become King. Sam got to be a maester. Brienne got to be a knight. Almost everyone ended up exactly where they wanted to be but Dany which seems kinda lovely.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now that I've seen Dany 'real' ending I think my 'headcanon' is that she decides that Westeros could never truly be her home and fucks off to Essos.

(Obviously she doesn't burn King's Landing either)

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 4, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

People do complain about Jaime not having a happy ending, and going back to King's Landing to save Cersei being out of character at that point but I never felt that way. They've always had an awful, broken relationship and it isn't like Jaime suddenly realises this when Brienne comes along or whatever, he's always known it and he's always resented her for it, resented that he loves such a person like Cersei, resented that he's done such awful thing's in her name and to protect their secret (that he feels he shouldnt have to hide). Brienne gives him some respite and some good moments but ultimately the person he loves is Cersei for better or worse, they've had children together, gone through it all together and whether he goes to King's Landing thinking he can save her from her mistakes, or to kill her (not to free himself but to free others, echoing his Kingslayer role), it's more he is almost taking responsibility for the damage their relationship and Cersei herself has caused. Their connection, lovers, parents, twins means they are forever tied, he will never abandon her whatever she does to him, and the pain she has inflicted on others he feels is partly his responsibility and he has to fix it, that's his tragic fate. I think the ending really emphasizes that those two loved each other probably more deeply than anyone else in the show, it was just the most toxic relationship possible.

I mean the quote "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" is pretty much perfect for Jaime's story.

edit: like I wanted so desperately for Jaime to be able to walk off into the sunset, everyone does, that's what's so drat amazing about GRRM and the telling of Jaime's character is he goes from this guy who throws Bran out of a bloody window to practically a hero to the reader/ viewer. But there was always Shakespearean levels of tragedy to his story.

If that was what they intended they could have done it in a way that didn't completely invalidate everything we liked about his character.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

How does his decision to go back to King's Landing invalidate EVERYTHING you liked about him? It's never made clear WHY he's going back. Ultimately I think he knows he has to take responsibility for Cersei, but what that means I dont know, he might be going there to kill her, or stop her or yes maybe he knows he cant be without her and he's going there to die with her but that isnt exactly shocking based on the toxic bond those two have had from the beginning. Like I said they are probably the most in love characters on the show despite the absolute fuckery of their relationship.

It's mostly the line where he said he doesn't care about innocent people and never did, despite many of his past actions displaying the opposite. Killing the mad king, saving Brienne from rape and then the bear pit, resolving the Riverrun siege with next to no bloodshed, and going north to fight the dead all display concern for innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

An insane mind posted:

I know a lot of them loved playing the characters until poo poo stopped making sense. Remember Peter Dinklage talking about Tyrion's descisions in the later seasons?

I honestly question if they kept the part about Tyrion giving lovely advice to Dany but left out the part from the upcoming books (lol) where it's intentional sabotage on Tyrion's part. The show had an issue with whitewashing people's actions. In the books Tyrion just straight up murders Shae out of rage, the show had her grab a knife first. Same thing with Jon getting stabbed. In the books the conspirators had a good reason, Jon was making a lot of perhaps morally correct but very unpopular decisions, capped off by forsaking his vows to go fight Ramsay.