Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

mcbexx posted:

I can totally see Cersei being so mad for power and spiteful that she'll happily sell out Westeros' humankind just to sit next to the Night King on the Iron Throne as his undead frost queen.

"Let him be king over ashes" is sort of a theme and it applies very much to Cersei's ambitions who already burned half of king's landing just so she could cling to power.

The funny thing about Cersei is how half the past season revolved around Jon's mission to recruit Cersei using a wight and how it was a big deal but now, of course, the second she's our the sight of the dragons she's just back to her old power mongering ways and we're expected to think that Sansa is really clever for pointing this out to Tyrion but the whole thing was ridiculously obvious all along, Jon's mission made zero sense, they lost a dragon and spun the wheels for an entire season and it had almost no bearing on this season because Cersei is Cersei.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dickon was okay to Sam, he was just the preferred brother but he never mistreated Sam, incidentally Sam only broke down when he heard Dickon was killed, his reaction to his father's death was relatively stoic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm glad we spent twenty minutes of screen time following the Arya's quest of getting a pointy stick from Gendry.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The oath says: "I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come", it doesn't say "until my heart stops beating for some unspecified period of time".

I'm certain that in the books there will be characters who'll consider Jon to be an oathbreaker, for the show that would just be some confusing ambiguity. OTOH in the books it's pretty safe to assume that the Night's Watch is pretty much over with the moment Jon is murdered because Castle Black has a 10:1 ratio of Wildlings to Night's watch men, and a few Melisandre\Selyse loyalists who probably wouldn't be down with the whole thing either, so who knows.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Are the vale knights all at winterfell still? There aren’t any armies or characters left.

Yes, Lord Royce is the guy with the goofy breastplate hanging around Sansa.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TheRat posted:

I doubt Melisandre shows up before ep 4-6 somewhere. She feels like an endgame-character.

Mel will show up at the last second going all "I sure was wrong about a whole lotta stuff, I guess R'hllor is a C tier deity after all".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This faceless teenage assassin fucks.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Goons are trying to show off that they're the Least Pedophiliac by going on the offensive of how wrong the sex scene is

Lol

It's really gross

18 & 22 year olds gently caress, it's cool

I'll have you know I was an 18 year old and then a 22 year old and I did no such thing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have they used the word obsidian in the show? It's definitely the Westeros equivalent but I just sorta figured that dragonglass is a fantasy material that is like obsidian in every way and also can be smelted and forged in any manner shown or implied by the show

Yes, at least once when Sam is explaining what Dragonglass is to Stannis, the guy who literally lived on a volcano and knows all about Dragonglass.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Reminder that steel can't be caste into molds to make weapons in a medieval setting anyway so it's all dumb but Gendry literally learned to smith from the guy who ruined ice by melting it down like a goof

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the books it is implied that the volcanoes of valyria had 'wyrms' which were proto dragons and the valyrians magically engineered them into dragons.

It's clear that the whole 'walkers are immune to magic fire' thing was pulled from D&D's rear end just for the gotcha scene and nothing more

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm pretty sure the books and the show have stated that wildfire is pretty unstable and doesn't travel well? At the very least it's been alluded to? I know for sure in the books they talk about the stock under the city deteriorating.

They did but then the arch pyromancer (rip Roy Dotrice) says that Aerys' secret stashes have been found and are as potent as ever, presumably due to the return of the dragons

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

KidDynamite posted:

So like gently caress the story arguments. Did anyone else with an OLED TV have this episode and any dark scenes in general look like complete poo poo? I was watching via HBO Go and the first 20-30 minutes were so bad. I need to find some 4k :filez:

I don't think it was your TV, I watched it through HBO go as well and the dark scenes were riddled with compression artifacts. I think it's just the codec HBO use or some poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
"But Khaleesi, we are light cavalry, we wear no armor and don't carry pole weapons"

Said no Dothraki.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Zotix posted:

A lot of pages to go through while I'm at work. Any discussion on the possibility of Arya becoming converted? All the walkers were converted by touch, viserion, Bran, etc.

No adult living human beings were shown converted into White Walker status other than the Night King himself, and he was converted through an obsidian slab transplant through the heart.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bedshaped posted:

BotB wasn't any different than this episode was it?

Everything looked great, it just falls apart when your brain is engaged longer than 5 seconds.

Nah, this episode didn't look great.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Its Coke posted:

Someone unpaid with just some consumer video editing software fixed the Rhaegal scene: https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bnq8to/rhaegal_dies_but_it_makes_slightly_more_sense/

Much better.

GoT has become a show lacking all true 'TV craftsmanship', they just blow wads of money on sets, costumes and CGI but everything from side of the producers, directors and writers is pretty rote, you can really tell that D&D grew to view the whole thing in more logistical terms than artistic terms.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This season had a few opportunities to remind the viewers that Dany's main parental figure was her mentally broken brother Viserys, that he literally indoctrinated her into thinking that her life if meaningless unless she reclaims the iron throne, the show could have done a better job at showing how Dany's entitlement (reinforced by the universe giving her magical powers) erodes her sanity and prevents her from giving up on Viserys' dreams.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
D&D shoulda just shown Dany's army setting camp outside of King's Landing -> fade to black -> *five years later* - so they could take a giant piss at GRRM's delicate writing sensibilities.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All Sandor had to say was "even a monster deserves better" instead of "this is what you always were"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
She'll dye her head black in the beginning of the next episode and by the next time she shows up on screen she'll be a platinum blonde again.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

Why is Jamie’s hair so dark? It was so obvious when he was beside Cersei. In the earlier season he had blond locks.

Tyrion and Jaime both started with golden hair and went back to their natural hair color after the first season (I think for Tyrion it was right after the first episode). It's just a thing that happened.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/NiveaSoftXX/status/1127801971786825728

This is going to be the new Arya Durden theory lol

She's not dead and what you see is what you get because themes are for bitches

Yes the episode was good if you interpret most things differently

gently caress me all those guys on twitter going "Woah!!! so deep!!!", like what the hell. This is as fake deep as it gets.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Actually the paler a GoT character is the more likely is it to be a murderous rear end in a top hat.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ElGroucho posted:

Let this be a lesson to all the writers here

Don't ever sell your poo poo if it's half finished, because they will gently caress it up and you won't even be able to say, "well, the books were better"

Even if it makes you a bajillion dollars

He did make tens of millions of dollars from the whole thing...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Cleganebowl should have had the undertones of a mercy kill, should have had Gregor killing Qyburn like Vader killed the emperor after fighting Sandor against his will.

But no I mean Gregor is still really angry about that toy knight from when he was 12.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno season 5-7 were mostly boring bad and now it's off the wall ridiculous bad and it's far more entertaining.

Yes, this season is written like a dumpster fire but they made better use of the CGI budget.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Chris James 2 posted:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08/e05 48% on Rotten Tomatoes. Officially the lowest critically-reviewed episode of the series' history

The finale could get 100% and the final season of Game of Thrones would still officially be the lowest critically-reviewed season in the series' history (eps in order would look like 92, 88, 75, 57, 48, 100). No other season had less than 91%

People who think that this is the show's worst episode really haven't been paying attention for the past few years.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

No Wave posted:

Wow, it's nuts that Maisie Williams ever got nominated for an acting award.

She was good at child-acting.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Astro7x posted:

Dany was treated very differently in Essos than when she came to Westeros. In Westeros, nobody really wanted her to take the throne. She thought she would be praised as the breaker of chains and all that stuff, but to people wanted nothing of it.

Was she though? We got absolutely zero insight about how the smallfolk of westeros perceive Dany, the show was never strong on that whole perspective but in the past there were events like the riots in season 2, we sort of knew how the population of Meereen was divided and how Dany was perceived, etc, but all that sort of stuff has been completely gone here, we hear from a bunch of nobles that the people prefer Jon but on the other hand there's zero discontent in King's Landing and they don't seem to be clamoring for either Jon or Dany, but otoh the perspective of the population of king's landing wasn't even expressed after the destruction of the great sept so who knows.

And really some of these had the potential of being pretty interesting, things like how the smallfolk would have seen Dany, or what people from the south made of the reports of the battle against the dead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Chewbot posted:

And it's bizarre to me why anyone wouldn't understand why season 8 sucks to new heights compared to season 5, back when you had great characters who still had solid foundations and fascinating, unpredictable protagonists like Bolton, Littlefinger and Margery. There was still tons of potential for where the story could go and what could happen to the major players.

Season 8 is a masterclass in how to make sure that none of your beloved characters get even a single satisfying resolution. Not to mention that the further the showrunners get from the books, the more they're obviously struggling to keep things cohesive and the more quality will suffer as they try to build on increasingly poor decisions.

This episode wasn't bad as much as deeply unsatisfying and it's admittedly fantastic spectacle un-earned and full of questionable explanations. That's what people are reacting to.

Season 8 is a dumpster fire, but the latest episode was in no way worse than the 14 or so episodes that preceded it, the action wasn't all completely stupid, it finally made some satisfying use of a big dragon and it generally made sense from start to finish.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

iamsosmrt posted:

The true villain of the show. Deep down he's still Bran and just mad as hell he can't get a stiffy any longer.

Ultimately, it's clear only one man can save the 7 kingdoms now. Ser Podrick needs to use his big dick to slay the Mad Queen.

Last scene of the show, Bran seats atop the iron throne and says to no one in particular "chaos is a ladder"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Like, couldn't Dany at least just focus on the Red Keep?

Like turn that place into smoldering rubble, that would still be intimidating, and a better 9/11 analogy surely (even though the great sept was pretty much already that) - why burn the entire city? like really, shouldn't it just be the fortifications and then the keep? Why be a total dick about the whole thing? doesn't she get how bad the PR is?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

crucifying the masters was probably the most morally justified thing she's done.

Only she basically killed a bunch of random nobles, Hizdahr said his father wasn't even involved in the slave trade. She could have done a better job there as well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

The Golden Company famously cares about honor over money (they have never broken a contract), has sworn to put an heir of Blackfyre on the throne of Westeros (their motto is "Our word is as good as gold"), has participated in 3 invasions of Westeros for that reason (one of which just happened when Robert Baratheon was king), and whose warcry is "Beneath the gold, the bitter steel!" in reference to Aegor 'Bittersteel' Rivers.

Like "for money" works if they're just "some random famous mercenary company from the Free Cities" but their entire foundational principal is anathema to fighting for Cersei Lannister as queen of Westeros.

You're thinking of the Golden Company from the books, not the one on the show, you can tell them apart by the lack of elephants.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gregor I should've been returned just for the cleganebowl.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

marshalljim posted:

What is the dumbest possible way for this mess of a show to end?

They could do something like have Arya kill the night king unceremoniously while nobody seems to give a poo poo and then have Emilia Clarke start murdering women and children out of the blue.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The twitter meltdowns are of course ridiculous but the show did specifically characterize Dany as a successful populist, she knows what it takes to have the masses love her and understands that it's a process, Dany has been shown to be an intelligent and rational person, even if cruel towards her perceived enemies. Dany is also a character that was specifically shown to grow and learn to cope with grief and disappointment and still come out on top when the odds are stacked against her (though she usually did that through burning poo poo, tbh); so while yeah, her turning was 'set up' in the last episode it is still somewhat forced, we haven't seen anything from Dany that suggests she'd turn into the joker under these circumstances, her "furious wrath" could have still been terrible even if only directed towards people who specifically opposed her or betrayed her.

The show could have even been set up ambiguously wherein Dany (or Grey Worm who was also pretty hosed up) command the Unsullied and the Dothraki to sack the city after the surrender while she herself just goes to annihilate the Red Keep and the areas surrounding it, it doesn't have to be Dany personally dropping napalm death on innocent civilians, that is seriously just excessive.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This dumb youtube video sums the discussion pretty well imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ikUYFK84OQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Babylon 5 was so good it managed to land two separate and decent endings.