Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I always forget that Daenerys has a loving GIGANTIC ARMY that's loyal to her, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Someone dropped money on a new opening

I get the feeling they dropped money on 6.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dragons: "Nice."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did we ever find out why the white walkers communicate exclusively in mandalas made of corpses?

You don't? (puts down corpse knife)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I mean, staying true on that OG betrayal, and they really didn't like that Dany was showing up with rape-crazy foreign hordes. Made sense to me since they were stubborn jerks who'd rather die with honor than bow to what is essentially a foreign power now.

From a legal standpoint Dany has entirely justifiable cause to execute Randall Tarly, given that he was a sworn vassal to Lady Olenna, and betrayed and helped kill her. Surprisingly, the feudal contract was taken quite seriously, nobody liked an oathbreaker because the next oath they break might be to you. If anything it could be argued Daenerys was stupidly merciful for offering him the chance to bend the knee.

DickOFF Tarly just was dumb and said "kill me too please."

Yeah, sucks for Sam, his brother really didn't deserve to die but it was entirely his choice to die.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I can already loving see clearly in my head what's going to happen, Jon's going to tell Dany and because this is the middle ages aunt-nephew incest wasn't even greatly frowned upon, setting aside the fact that they're the Targaryens and incest is sort of their thing.

Then Jon's going to realize A) he loves Dany, B) he doesn't want the throne, C) he thinks Dany will be better at it than him, D) her army isn't loyal to House Targaryen, their loyal to her, personally, E) that the entire loving North only trusts him because they think he's the son of Ned Stark.

I can see the scene itself; Dany proposes something, Lady Mormont tells her to gently caress off, they all look to Jon and say "we trust Ned Stark's son," and Jon's going to realize that sometimes, protecting what you love is more important than thrones and titles.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

He pretty clearly doesn't go anywhere.

"Yo Bran, can we take you inside?"

"No. I need to be right here tomorrow to look ominously at someone, then cryptically hint at something that they won't understand until the proper time. Bring me another blanket, and some food."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

If you want to get rules lawyery about it, Jon was the Rightful King up until the moment he took the Black, where it either transitioned to Viserys or Daenerys (I can't remember which came first, Jon taking the Black or Viserys getting his golden crown). Jon took that oath and swore it with every fiber of his being; the Oath is valid because Jon himself would consider it valid.

That said, there are no rules for resurrection, leaving the legal situation as "an absolute loving shitstorm."

In essence, given that neither of them currently occupy the Iron Throne and none of the Kingdoms hold allegiance to any of them, they're both claimants with pretty much equally powerful claims. That said, the only one of them who actually has the power to press their claim is Daenerys, because she's got A loving Huge Army And Dragons and Jon... doesn't. In addition, as Dany pointed out, there remains the question of proof for Jon's claims; there are exactly 2 pieces of proof, one of which is Bran alleges he saw it in a vision; the visions themselves could easily be proven, the validity of that specific one not. The second is a book, allegedly from the Citadel, that was produced by Jon's best friend. If you buy into chain of custody, that evidence is incredibly suspicious.

We, as the viewers, know both evidence is legit; the characters, in universe, might not.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

Also what the hell is Danaerys’ deal anyway? I thought she wanted to be a good queen and rule justly and kindly or whatever, then she vaporizes Sam’s family because she had a bad week and he was a dick. She tells people she isn’t her father, who she admits was an evil man, but she’s entirely relying on him entirely for her claim. And she still gives people poo poo for betraying her crazy evil father- like Jamie for example.

My personal theory is Daenerys has been merged to a slight degree with a very certain book-only character, Aegon Targaryen.

It's not an accident her character changed significantly once they ran out of books, but I think she'll get back on track here at the end and avoid the Mad Queen path.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Prediction Time:

From the "Next Time" promo, Jon and Dany are holding back the dragons for the arrival of the Night King himself. The battle goes poorly for the Living, and Dany gets fed up with waiting, but Jon tells her to wait; "The Night King is coming." Dany refuses, gets on Drogon, and goes off to help their forces; "The Dead are already here."

Night King shows up, and as it turns out, nothing they have can harm him; not dragonglass, not valyrian steel, not dragonfire. The battle was already lost from the moment they decided to fight, so they have to retreat.

There might even be a moment where the Living are trying to retreat into Winterhold, and Dany offers to hold the line on Drogon until as many survivors as possible can escape into the castle, and through the secret tunnels that were mentioned in some early season or whatever.

The North gets much more appreciative of Daenerys being there to help them, and they fall back to Dragonstone.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

That's the Skyrim place.

My avatar should be a solid indicator of why I get that messed up rather often.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You know what? I'll take a wildcard prediction. Dany dies tonight- not to the army of the dead, but because Cersei has an assassin waiting for the opportune moment.

Rhaegal dies, and Dany's mourning her lost dragon and she gets sniped. Drogon immediately murders the assassin but then flies off, nobody capable of controlling him, and with that their last real weapon against the Army of the Dead, lost.

The Living are completely, utterly hosed without Drogon and Rhaegal, and the last shot of the episode is of Melisandre returning to Westeros, at the turn of the tide, basically making us know that Dany's coming back next episode. I've got my own theories about how that happens, but I'll leave those be for now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

tooterfish posted:

If the show still has any balls she'll live, because she has to betray Jon now.

She's far too invested in being "rightful" queen to leave any threats to that un-barbecued. Jon, Bran and Sam are the only people alive right now who know Jon's heritage, so they've obviously got to go.

Maybe it'll even happen as soon as tonight. She'll pull an "oops I and my dragon tripped" stunt in an attempt to get one of them eaten by wights.

Its Coke posted:

Yeah Dany and her dragon dying would be interesting but they definitely need her alive to complete this arc with Jon

See, I don't think that's Dany's arc, it's either her becoming 'The Queen They Chose' (by realizing if she wants to be Queen she should earn the loyalty of the people she's trying to rule) or her realizing she never really wanted to rule, all she wanted was a family and a home, and loving off.

I don't think she's evil, hot-tempered and impulsive yes, but remember that last season despite Tyrion outright advising her "do not put yourself at risk to go save Jon Snow, all that matters is you getting on the Iron Throne so you can fix Westeros" she still got on her dragons and went off to save Jon because she was the only one who could.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm tempted to make a bingo card of everyone that's left in this show and see how many get picked off.

Good idea. Here's a convenient list of every named character I could find who is confirmed to be at the Battle of Winterfell (i.e. no Melisandre despite the fact that maybe she will show up).

code:
Daenerys Targaryen
Jon Snow
Jorah Mormant
Lyanna Mormont
Grey Worm
Theon Greyjoy
Missandei of Naath
Rhaegal the Dragon
Drogon the Dragon
Tyrion Lannister
Ser Jaime Lannister
Ser Brienne of Tarth
Tormund 'Giantsbane'
Davos Seaworth
Varys
Sansa Stark
Arya Stark
Bran Stark
Podrick Payne
Gilly
Little Sam, Son of Gilly
Samwell Tarly
'Dolorous' Eddison Tollett
Beric Dondarion
'The Hound' Sandor Clegane
Gendry Storm
Yohn Royce
Use your preferred online generator, print off cards for everyone you're watching with, and go to town.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Uhhh, Melisandre owns.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Oh poo poo I thought Viserion was dead... well, you know what I mean.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Like, on the one hand, I feel like this series has been about subverting expectations since the first season, and this episode felt like what the series had been building up to from the first scene, and now it's over and we still have 3-4 hours left to go.

On the other, I feel like there's some big twist still coming where the Great War isn't entirely over yet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

That's Sansa.

Missandei, Sansa, Tyrion, Varys are all Confirmed Survivors of the Safest Place In Winterfell The Crypts (That Are Totally Safe). I think Gilly and her son also survived, as did Not Shireen But Reminds Davos Of Shireen.

E: On the other hand judging from the 'next time' promo the survivors are all for Dany now, they returned the toast to her, or maybe the Northmen are just all for the idea of 'let's go gently caress the Lannisters up.'

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Red posted:

His body is at King's Landing, so no.

Littlefinger said he returned it, his body was in the crypt.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

On the one hand, I feel like there's a Big Twist coming, maybe Bran not entirely working for the Good Guys (why the gently caress was it so important for Jon to learn his heritage if he'd literally already started riding the dragon?)

On the other, I can sort of understand that the political poo poo became way more mainstream appealing than the 'ice zombie apocalypse' storyline, and Cersei has been the primary villain of the series, so maybe they just made the executive decision to swap the order of the resolutions of the storylines around and make Cersei the Final Boss. Or maybe it's the same way in the books, since I read somewhere that GRRM's favorite part of LotR was the Scouring of the Shire.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

reminds me. What happened to that baby they converted?

Frog Act posted:

The writers literally just forgot about it I bet

99% sure that the generic White Walkers you see, or some of them at least, are Craster's sons. They grow up very quickly to become the White Walkers. Or at least that seems to be the mindset of the fandom.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

All of you people who think that Cersei isn't that bad need to take a read of this:

Cersei killed Ser Pounce.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I honestly think this season had been pretty good by latter day show standards (post season 4). I'd given up on it but the first two episodes and much of the third were solid imo.

This one was a loving mess, although I did like the winterfell opener.

Episode 1 was alright, Episode 2 was great then sort of retroactively made less fun by how non-impactful E3 turned out to be, E3 was where I started to notice the writing going downhill and E4 was just "alright we gotta get through these plot points, here they are as bullet points then hit them boom, boom, boom."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Jon did not have the best of genetics or upbringing in terms of knowing the value of honesty, Ned only kept that one thing secret and was honest to a fault otherwise, Rhaegar and Lyanna both ran off and kept a secret when revealing the secret would have done a lot to prevent the goddamn civil war that killed them all.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Kit Harrington being married to Rose Leslie in real life is one of the most :3: things about the show tbh

I hope whenever Kit has a scene that he has to make out with Emilia, they have Rose standing next to the camera looking sternly at them.

Mostly just as a joke because I think they're all pretty good friends.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I apologize if a bunch of people already said this, I'm a little behind on the discussion, but why the gently caress didn't Dany just have her dragon roast Cersai the second she cut off Missandeis head? Like, she could have gotten rid of every villain in one blast without any civilian casualties and she just walked off.

The wall was lined with soldiers manning at least a dozen scorpions.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Harry Strickland, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Have the Lannister forces never heard of pikes? How are heavy infantry in a small choke unable to withstand a light cavalry charge?

They had spears. The loving defenses behind them detonated. Their shield wall was obliterated.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It's literally them saying "we don't know any way to get people to root against her so just have her go turbofucking evil and burn the whole city deliberately because that's the only way the audience will agree with it."

The issue is, the audience has largely rejected it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Like the only thing consistent with previous characterization that would make sense about why Dany would burn King's Landing to the ground is if

A) Bran did it through her
Or
B) Varys was attempting to poison her, not with a lethal poison (because every single person on Dragonstone would know who did it immediately) but Basilisk Blood, which induces violent psychopathy, so that he could say "aha! Targaryen Madness, someone kill her!" Then Martha, who had never been told exactly what it would do other than "help save the Realm", used it anyways, just as Dany was about to go to King's Landing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I wrote it back on page 407:

I'm sure other people wrote it before me too. It's an obvious idea and it would have been easy to make things make more sense, but D&D are phoning it in. Hit the beats with the minimum effort and run off to their CSA show ASAP.

No don't you get it she is Fantasy Hitler you're not allowed to sympathize with Fantasy Hitler anymore she is Pure Evil.

If she isn't pure evil how else will you Neanderthals understand how pure and righteous it is when she is killed?

They tried to have their cake of a feminist icon liberator badass queen, and are now trying to eat it too by turning her Undisputed Evil in the most ham fisted manner possible so there is No Sympathy for her anymore.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Like, I don't hate it by itself. Sansa and Arya got satisfying endings, at least. As did Brienne. And Ghost. Jon winding up with the wildlings is not the worst possible ending for him; he gave Daenerys every chance to take a step back from the path she was on, but she refused to listen, so he did the 'right' thing and killed her.

But the show has led me to believe that Daenerys didn't go evil (not mad, she knew what she was doing) until she basically had no other choice; yes, she'd had the propensity for cruelty, but she'd also measured it with kindness and compassion, and listened to her advisers and usually reconsidered. So if Bran had kept his mouth shut about Jon being Aegon Targaryen, they would never have broken up, and Jon would have taken the place of Jorah and she probably would have stopped when the bells rang and then not killed an entire city.

They didn't take any time to explain why Bran being King was the best possible outcome, or why he, despite claiming to not want it, would put in motion the dominoes that would lead to him getting the throne. What was the alternative? Would Dany have always gone evil even if her emotional support structure wouldn't have completely imploded on her? Why would Bran make that choice? Was the death of King's Landing inevitable? If so, why not prevent it? Tell Jon or someone, maybe tell Varys, "hey she's gonna kill the entire population of the capital, someone should stop her."

The note about "stories are what keep us going" was hamfisted and the whole idea that Bran had 'the best story' was bullshit given that he literally took an entire season off and his only meaningful contribution to the last two seasons was putting into motion the aforementioned chain of dominoes for unexplained reasons.

Also, the show literally didn't foreshadow Bran becoming King at all. They also set up fake foreshadowing last season about Dany maybe not being barren.

Also what the gently caress happened to her body? At least give us a shot of Drogon burying her or something, or taking her to Meereen where she would be buried with honors as the hero she was to them. Instead the show set it up as "no she was always evil and cruel but she was just doing it to bad people so you didn't realize."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Everyone pick Bran who had the best story despite the fact that his story was so boring they literally let him take a season off and figuratively the only thing he did these last two seasons was tell Jon he was loving his aunt!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

That DICK! posted:

is there some law that requires you to bring up how The Last Jedi was actually Good and Loved by All every 3 pages completely unprompted. is every single one of you a disney employee

Haha no of course not my good goon!

gently caress guys he's onto us

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I thought that by spoiling myself on it, I'd be over how bad the ending was, but I just keep thinking "maybe there's a twist com.... oh wait, no, it's over. Forever."

I'm mostly over it but just... I'm feeling awfully bitter right now, with not much sweet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've adopted the headcanon that they do at some point plan a sequel series, because they (subtly) state that Drogon is taking Daenerys to Volantis, home of Kinvara, a red priestess who is very loyal to her. (If I recall correctly she also isn't just a red priestess but the head of the Lord of Light religion.)

Also both Tyrion and Jon express doubts that what they did was the right thing, Tyrion stating "ask me in 10 years."

I'm stretching to assume that means the story might not be entirely over yet, but I will freely admit that I am also embracing it because it will get me through the next week or two, because after that I won't care anymore.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I admit now it's hilarious FYAD tried to do a big spoiler for those of you who were unspoiled but they trusted Friki who it turns out was completely wrong.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Like, the ending equivalent to Lord of the Rings would be if Aragorn's story had changed to, rather than the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Aragorn had convinced Eomer and Theoden to follow him to the Black Gate, where things proceeded much as normal, except Sam is completely a worthless piece of poo poo who curls up into a ball in the corner of the Crack of Doom room crying, then Gollum willfully throws the Ring and himself into the fire. Frodo and Sam both are saved because they're blown clear, where Gandalf and the Eagles show up.

Then, Aragorn, having tried to claim the Kingship but been denied by Denethor, leads the army to the Pelennor Fields, where he summons the Army of the Dead to kill everyone within the city and burn it to the ground. Then Arwen murders him and gets on the ship with her father and sails for Valinor.

Then Pippin's made King of Gondor, and his vassals are Gandalf, Sam, Treebeard, Faramir, and Wormtongue (having trouble coming up with a Bronn analogue). Sam wants to grow more food and Treebeard suggests clear-cutting the forests. Wormtongue's one contribution was killing Saruman.

Oh and literally nothing before the start of Return of the King is changed.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

"Americans don't know anything about history unless they seek it out. Like this completely inaccurate statements."

Make like Edmure, sit down and shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think in the books it's a very high possibility that Tyrion, who despises everyone in his family INCLUDING Jaime, is going to be the proverbial devil on Dany's shoulder screaming for her to burn the city.

Book Tyrion is a colossal rear end in a top hat, but his hatred of his family is admittedly very well deserved by what they cut from the show.

In the books Jaime reveals that Tyrion's first wife, Tysha, who he legitimately loved, wasn't just some whore Tywin and Jaime arranged for. She really was a mere peasant girl who really did legitimately love Tyrion, and they forced him to both watch and participate in her gang rape.