Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's a Cinema Sins level bad click. Can I unclick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

esperterra posted:

other than the speed at which gendry, ravens and dragons can move at supersonic levels

I prefer to think the ice set after a few hours but they spent a week sat on that hill before anyone realised.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

Also someone earlier asked if there's been another show where the programme was made faster than the source material and there was a good article on Kotaku about that and Fullmetal Alchemist. It's interesting because the show got remade after the ending of the manga and the ending was (according to the article) a shitload better because the manga writer was better at doing it than the show writers.
Not that I can imagine GRRM ever finishing the books, but it was still interesting.

I enjoyed the Naruto route where they spent around two years producing filler episodes waiting for the manga to get ahead.

Imagine two years (well four in this case) of Karl Fookin' Tanner and Ironborn rescue capers before triumphantly finishing with GRRM's true published vision.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm genuinely stunned that Qyburn is still a thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

YaketySass posted:

I like how Cersei made him the Hand because oh yeah that guy's still here.

Was there even a scene in which she named him hand? I just remember noticing that he was wearing the brooch at one point.

If there's one thing that the transition from the adaptation to the fanfic sequel does it's make huge locations feel tiny and empty. They took a city of a million people and reduced its named population to three (one of whom is a zombie).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

not a bot posted:

I'm not sure if a death of a dragon can even be considered a spoiler at this point since we've seen the war machines designed to murder dragons way too many times and they haven't done anything yet.

Hey Bronn used one to kill that one guy.

Calling it now: Cersei points the machine at Drogon and fires the last arrow in King's Landing. It flies past the dragon and into the distance. Daenerys smirks and taunts her for missing. Cersei smiles and says "...Did I?"

Cut to Winterfell where Bran is impaled against the Weirwood. Westeros is saved.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't bear to watch RLM for media hot takes anymore. They've gotten so wrong headed.

Their other stuff is still fine though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrFlibble posted:

Your reading comprehensions pretty loving lovely dude.

They say a lot of lovely things and some of their opinions are lovely.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Its Coke posted:

What have they gotten wrong-headed about

Whenever there's any kind of controversy or outcry about anything they try to position themselves as the 'rational centrists' and mostly parrot the worst poo poo. See TLJ and Captain Marvel for the most recent examples.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

She said we need to hear more WOC critics in the space rather than the same old white male voices and she was 100% correct.

Being a white male reviewer doesn't mean you have to 'call her out' on it. Just let other people speak for once in your loving life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrFlibble posted:

They were talking about what she said not what you think she said you disingenuous shitstain.

She's said more than one thing. She's been quoted on one hyperbolic statement but she's said a lot surrounding it you anal dirge.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Super Deuce posted:

Yes. It doesn’t matter what she thinks is “for” someone. It’s mass entertainment and even if it wasn’t, white men can have perspective. Anyways, what kind of poo poo story can only be appreciated by a specific subgroup of humanity? Again it isn’t relevant what movie she’s talking about. It’s nonsense.

Can non Jews critique Schindler’s list? Or even A Serious Man which I’d argue is more of the “Jewish experience”?

Cry me a loving river over the erasure of white male voices.

VVV Are you loving serious?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Super Deuce posted:

It’s weird how this is okay. She was wrong to say what she said. If she left it as “I wish there were more critiques from different backgrounds” not “white men can’t talk about this”.

Weird how she didn't say the second one at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lol if you seriously think what she said was even remotely racist or sexist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DoctorGonzo posted:

you know what the world needs more women of color in acting roles, move the gently caress out larson your time is up!

I expect she'd agree.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Just two more weeks and my life will have no meaning again.

Hey this time next year you could be watching Young Night King season 1.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Its Coke posted:

Well I don't know how she presented I'm just going off what was said in this thread

loving Google it before calling her racist then.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why is it called game of thrones if there's only one throne?

There's the Seastone Chair. Which I care deeply about.

Speaking if which who the gently caress is supposed to be ruling Dorne now?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

pepito sanchez posted:

If Bran had a tree up in Old Valyria he'd know all kinds of cool magic and awesome forms of government. With his vast memory of the world, the furthest back we got was "Oh, the little elf girls created white walkers. Dayum."

I'm never going to get over the disappointment Bran turned out to be.

Still confident the last shot of the show will be Bran smiling at the chaos he sowed by lying about Jon's parentage. Turns out only Dany and her dragons could've stopped the Army of the Forest come Spring.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The actor playing Euron just comes across like a nice dude, really. It's hard to believe he's doing the things he's doing. Whereas Ramsay was very clearly a monster hiding behind a thin veneer of friendliness which just made him scarier.

If they wanted to nail Euron they needed to find someone who could pull off a seriously sinister look. If they wanted to nail Victarion they needed a god drat viking. Instead they went with a teddy bear.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Wave posted:

Euron's actor is not the problem. Ok the character would be funnier if he were absolutely hideous but that's not his fault.

Oh 100%. I just think it's a shame that the didn't even get the basics of what the fucker looked like right.

I can't really think of anyone in the first three seasons who looks hugely different to how they're described. Jorah a bit but he's well cast otherwise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xanderkish posted:

It's funny that you see him like this, because to me I think they nailed the pervert sailor with him. They make him look like the guy you'd wake up and find drunkenly groping the wooden mermaid on the bow of the ship.

Yeah but that guy doesn't kill dragons.

Man I wish they at least gave him a horn and just said it drives the dragons temporarily mad or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I kind of hope that Amazon's LOTR show turns out to be good and they snatch up the audience for this before a spinoff comes out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thunderspanks posted:

How did one of the greatest spymasters in Westeros not hear anything about a fleetwide retrofitting for a new goddamn dragon killing machine

In fairness to Varys he's lost his spy network and also wants Dany dead now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah usually I'm up for shows keeping their season length tight but both this and season 7 really needed a full ten episodes.

Given how few fucks D&D seem to give, was it just a matter of them wanting to do less work? I'm sure HBO would've forked out for a full run.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Season 6 was far better than 5. 7 was about on par and the jury's out on 8.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DrVenkman posted:

1) That GRRM told them the ending in as much as it was supposedly just a rough idea and wasn't sketched out much more than that. I honestly think they went into this believing GRRM would be further along by this point than he was

The thing is I can totally see GRRM telling them the events that he has planned for the ending.

But he didn't tell them the 2,000+ pages of how, why and who - because he hadn't written most of it yet. It's the interweaving narrative and character development that makes this series special - not big battles and dragon CGI. And that's something D&D simply don't have the skill to replicate.

e: Boardwalk Empire seasons 1-3 are stellar and the rest is still pretty loving good.

stev fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 8, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come jon and dany just happened to fall in love. wouldn't it be more likely they couple up for power reasons. or did targ relations always happen to fall in love.

Reading Fire and Blood a lot of them fell in love. But it was completely normalised for them and they didn't spend much time with anyone but siblings and dragons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This whole "subverted expectations" thing was old as gently caress by January 2018. How does anyone not cringe after reading it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why would there need to be a night's watch though?

Why do countries man the borders of nations they're generally friendly with?

What I'm saying is The Nights Watch will turn into a border patrol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tei posted:

I think khalesi is a good dog name.

Imagine having 3 dogs: "king", "tzar", "khalesi".

Edit:
Now imagine you are petting these dogs, because you are not a horrible person.

Imagine naming your dogs after your rapist husband/owner, your brother who beat and trafficked you and your brother who died before you were born but was widely believed to have been a rapist.

poo poo be hosed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love Armando Iannucci but I never really enjoyed what I saw of Veep. It's the old 'dry British humour reimagined for a US audience' issue. It rarely results in something not at least a little awkward.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Raccooon posted:

While we are on the subject of HBO shows, I have never watched The Wire.

Looking at it, do the characters change from season to season and is that jarring?

Or is it which characters get the focus changes from season to season?

There's a core group of characters but each season focuses on a different sector of the city, which each carry their own characters. Some are consistent throughout the series and others are one-offs. It's so beautifully written that it never feels jarring though.

It's great, watch it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like that would've been a mostly really good episode 9 of a well paced season.

What the gently caress did they do to Jaime and Cersei though. How was that a proper ending to that story.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Glumslinger posted:

Dying in eachother's arms, cutoff from the rest of the world where no one can judge them? Cersei getting crushed to death by a giant monument to the hubris of royalty?

Yeah that would make sense if it had happened at the end of season 1 and Jaime didn't have that decade of character development.

Hands of gold are always cold.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

As for actual content I'm of the opinion this season is better than season 6 (low point of the series for me).

6 was leagues better than 5, 7 and 8. Just a lot more leagues behind 1, 2 and 3. And 4's mostly fine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelestialScribe posted:

Writing was fine.

Characters were fine.

People are just being whiny cause they didn't get the ending they wanted.

Boohoooooo why can't the writers do exactly what I tell them to do :(

Is this a thing that you do?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I get people enjoy dunking on woke takes but the episode does very little to dissuade you from the 'women be crazy emotional yo' message that people are upset about.

I've always believed that Daenerys would eventually turn on Westeros but I'd like to think GRRM had a bit more than 'everybody betray me I fed up with this world' in mind. And it absolutely comes across as sexist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dany has always been a power hungry dictator but it's still out of character for her to slaughter a million innocent people for no reason. Both can be true.

e: I'd argue that they had plenty of time which they wasted, and could easily have had more time but chose not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tei posted:

Why you add "for no reason"?

The reason is POWER, gaining absolute power over the continent.

If by power you mean she wants to be the only person left in Westeros, sure.