Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Inkel posted:

Good thing the show forgot it's supposed to be winter

...hey yeAH WAIT A FUCKIN' SECOND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Just Chamber posted:

Name one where she gleefully delighted in the deaths of innocent women and children.

fun fact; killing women and children is bad regardless of how the perpetrator feels about it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Yes... no ones suggesting otherwise. But prior to this episode women and children werent really killed or shown to be anyway due to her orders.

in the finale of the first season she orders the execution by fire of a woman who committed the crime of Stopping The King Of The Rape Barbarians, personally assuring her right before that she will revel in the sound of her screams

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

General Dog posted:

When Hot Pie ices her next week

poo poo now I'm preemptively sad this isn't it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

big banker's son produces a popular TV adaptation of book series, realizes about 80% of the way through that the story is about how oligarchy is bad and panics

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i get that "normies" are upset because it's so close to the end but the quality is about equal. that's why the actual critics' reviews being so much worse this season doesn't make a lick of sense to me

stuff not making a lot of sense last season is bad but not as bad as "every episode this season is 90 mins long and 45 of those minutes ate slow motion shots of people looking at each other and/or a horse"

the answer to the question "how can reviewers think this is even worse than before" is "it is even worse than before"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

every version of Hamlet I've seen since high school has been some avant poo poo where there's a bunch of CCTV cameras

it's weird that I know exactly what you're talking about

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Alec Eiffel posted:

"What was the point of this show or the books" is some big-time crying. Good Lord.

hey everyone check out how much I don't care. please punch my Cool Card when you have completed checking it out

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Is there something wrong with KOTOR? I haven't played it in like, fifteen years, and I remember it being pretty good, but, nostalgia and such.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Vegetable posted:

Stranger Things

heh

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

DorianGravy posted:

For me, Daenerys' madness was unsatisfying because it was far too sudden, like someone flipping a switch from sane to mad.

that's 'cause the rich white dudes that made this show didn't realize that the white girl going around murdering people for having the audacity to be brown was something an antagonist would do

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

galagazombie posted:

The big flaw of the whole "But Daenerys becoming evil was totally foreshadowed by her killing Slavers" Is that they were loving slavers.

Daenerys is also, transparently and explicitly, a slaver - the foreshadowing isn't that she kills people, it's that she slowly but surely accepts that the things she was originally against are "necessary" if she wants to be Queen

there are several distinct moments in the books - not so distinct in the show, of course - where she's more or less given the choice to do something bad or give up a bit of power, and she goes with the former every time

also every single part of her backstory heavily sets her up to take up the mantle of people who are otherwise consistently portrayed as bloodthirsty insane nihilists, like come on

galagazombie posted:

It's also massively hypocritical considering that no one in the story previously gave a poo poo about the Geneva conventions. Tyrion napalms a fleet of thousands of people in season two.

Tyrion does this on behalf of two of the main antagonists, one of whom is a sadistic psychopath and the other is a man who famously gave the order to have children raped and killed

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Vichan posted:

The plan was 100% his though.

I'm not saying that what he did wasn't A Bad Thing, I'm saying that the story beats, including foreshadowing, are not so much about what the characters did so much as why they did them

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Dany kills a significant number of people who are not slavers

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

yeah even watching it as a grown-rear end man is like "okay I'd like there to be less sexing now please"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

like I said, D&D just literally Did Not Get It and probably didn't get the remaining story beats until after they'd completed the Book Seasons

GRRM: "and then Daenerys fulfills her arc by killing a lot of people"

D&D: "wait what"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

GRRM in various interviews about the books: "basically the thing is that nobody is the good guy in the story"

internet nerds: "I just don't see how I was supposed to think Daenerys was not the good guy, considering she does all of these things that are comparable to the things the other good guys did"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like Jon Snow got robbed almost as bad as Dany. What's there is fine but it feels like he should have been the one to destroy the WW, or at least have some role beyond setting up the chessboard for the final battle.

yeah it's pretty funny that Jon existing to confirm a prophecy is the impetus of the entire show, and this was all to set him up doing Literally Nothing for the entirety of the climax

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

An insane mind posted:

I could be wrong though, the end of the series has done the same thing for the got books that Rowling's terfy tweets did to Harry Potter. Can't even read them for nostalgia now.

I remain hopeful that the ending of the books will be different enough that it'll fade the stain of the show from my mind

I'll find out in 2047 presumably

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've never read the books but in the series, wasn't Tywin actually pissed at Jaime for joining the Kingsguard? I vaguely remember something about how it meant he can never get married and bear Tywin legitimate heirs, and so he couldn't eventually be manipulated onto the throne somehow, and he had to marry his daughter off to Robert instead (and being ignorant of/ignoring the fact that his son was producing children...just not with a woman that wasn't related to him).

Tywin planned to marry Jaime off to Lysa Tully, and Cersei convinced Jaime to join the Kingsguard, making him unavailable for betrothal, so that they could continue their relationship in secret. Tywin was pretty heckin' mad.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

An insane mind posted:

Ooooh yeah. Why did I think the mad king was the one who made Jaime kg mostly to keep Tywin in check because he basically kept Jaime around as a hostage.

I think it's implied that that's what Tywin believes, because Cersei kept her machinations secret from him.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

The only things fAegon has on her are this:
- He knows how to fight.
- He's been educated in the faith.
- He knows how to... fish and make nets and cook?

consider: these are the important ones

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

hmm I wonder why season 6 onward seemed to be written so poorly hmm huh shrug

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

we didn't want to spoil the books that we were already one hundred percent spoiling

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

it turned into a twee drama about Sherlock and his social circle instead of being about fun mysteries

that being said I actually think the second season is quite a bit better than the first, but the third is where it started up its own butt and the fourth is where it fully disappeared up there

like imagine a full hour and a half of Sherlock Holmes where it's just Holmes and Watson talking about how they feel about Watson getting married

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

A lot of the audience was on Danys side for most of the seasons because they portrayed her as a hero, very obviously so, as people itt have already explained.

I understand the explanation that people thought Dany was the hero because her warmongering and slave-driving were often accompanied by stings of music in major keys, or whatever. I just don't, you know, accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

People thought she was the hero because in every sense of traditional storytelling, they portrayed her as the hero.

Honestly, this is my metatextual interpretation of what the story is supposed about - it's not about the abuse of the powerful, but rather, the lengths to which people will go to enable that abuse. I think they managed to kind of do it accidentally with the show, but with the books, I absolutely believe that "Daenerys is very obviously, ethically, the villain of this story, but people are desperate to believe otherwise" was at least partially the intent.