Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Episode was kind of bland, but I suppose there has to be the quiet before the storm, now it's all kicking off with the battle the next 4 should be pretty drat full of poo poo happening.

Jaime and Brienne were the best part of the episode. I worry they're going to go out together in blaze of glory :smith:.

Maisie Williams has a great body, stop being prudes. And why does she have to have chemistry with Gendry, at least more than they already have? It's potentially her last night on earth, she had sex with someone she trusted and the closest person she has to a friend there. She's obviously not doing it out of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Some people are being unnervingly proactive in saying they do NOT want to see maisie Williams' nude body DEFINITELY not no sir spare me from that exposed fleshy horror

I actually liked seeing her nude body, I know, I'm a monster.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

hayden. posted:

Was that really a body double for Maisie Williams?

Someone in the thread just said it was and while that wouldn't have surprised me a quick Google reveals it was her.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

On a smaller note, I wish Sandor and Sansa had a final interaction. She was the reason he had a stirring of conscious, but of course that was more book than show.

Yeah that was one of my favorite character interactions in the books and it's a real shame its been hardly reflected in the show but I suppose they shifted the focus away from Sansa to his relationship with Ayra.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Yea if she wasn't worried about Jon taking her precious throne I'm sure she wouldn't give a drat they were related. It's no more messed up than cousins marrying and royaltys been doing that forever.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I felt bad for the actor playing Gendry who is 35 irl and was like yeah this was uncomfortable as hell for me because I've known her since she was 11 years old or w/e

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

And if anything for Targaryens its the custom, not the exception. They really believed they had dragon blood and didn't want to dilute the blood line. (GRRM is gross)

Them marrying would be a nice way of side-stepping the conflict of who would actually sit the throne, although I guess you still want to have one declared leader or there's a chance of infighting between the King and Queen for power?

Aye I think the issue is she knows once this gets out someone has to be the one ruler and even if it was possible they could marry and declare themselves as equal and joint rulers there's always going to be the issue of people being like yea but Jon/ Dany is the real person in charge which undermines the authority of both of them. Plus in that society she knows the man will be the one everyone will see as really in charge, and she'll end up just being the wife of the king after she has gone through all the poo poo she's dealt with to get to where she is. She doesn't care about who's the rightful heir, she cares about fulfilling her dream.

Jon could just have all the evidence destroyed which I could see him doing if he felt she was just, he's already on the fence, but I think he's going to see her do some heinous poo poo in the next episode or two that convinces him she can't be in charge.

She's either going to turn on Jon or one of them has to die before that happens. I don't see this ending well.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 22, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's a few possibilities. There's the Azor Ahai angle where one of them has to sacrifice the other in order to get the ultimate fire sword that would presumably kill all the white walkers?

But there's still the whole "three dragons, three riders" thing, with Dany and Jon having ridden dragons, seems like that's gonna happen. I like what someone suggested that Bran would warg into the Night's King's Dragon. (Viserion I think?) Which would then make Bran the 3rd rider, which would be cool.

Then I guess after that you could have a conflict where one has to sacrifice the others, but it seems like the Night's King plot is going to be resolved before the Cersei plot? Which seems weird, but we'll see how it plays out.

If she's gonna do something that horrifies Jon, it'll have to be soon. And he's okay with her burning the Tarleys so it'd have to be pretty serious. Power struggle seems more plausible?

I haven't rewarched the show so my memories of the earlier seasons are fuzzy but was the whole dragon will have 3 heads thing even in the TV show? I remember her seeing the iron throne covered in snow but I don't recall that part. I wonder if they'll scrap that whole plot entirely. Though the warg idea sounds pretty metal I'd love to see that happen.

I don't think Jon's OK with her burning the Tarleys but yeah that hasn't been enough, probably because he's supposed to be blinded by love for her even if their on screen chemisty is nil.

Thinking about it I don't see her straight up stabbing him in the back, i think she's supposed to care for him and will want to marry him, but she just needs to destroy the evidence, so maybe she goes to Sam and tries to convince him, he'll refuse out of loyalty to Jon, maybe she loses it and threatens him or his family (" I am your Queen, I burned your father and brother for not obeying me") that sets things off. Or maybe after it's all done she goes full psycho targ and burns the surrendering lannister army or Cersei and Jon nopes out and we have a power struggle.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 22, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

The whole sword prophecy stopped making sense to me when we see anyone is able to kill a white walker with dragon glass, but I suppose the Night King might need something special like a magic sword to kill him off.

Whatever happens I feel like there's so much stuff to get through it's all going to feel way too rushed and be very obvious they should have gone a full 10 episodes.

Unless the series ends with an announcement that we can all look forward to the HBO movie "War for the Throne: Battle of the Targaryians" in 2020, but they wouldn't do that right?

Oh no...

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

If Bronn kills either Jaime or Tyrion i'm going to be sad because while he obviously does care about money an awful lot i also think he cares about those two a lot more. I'm not saying he wouldn't consider putting a bolt into them, but i don't think he will.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Just watched it, thoughts off the top of my head:

-Enjoyable episode but wouldnt say it was up there with the top episodes. Should have been either a longer episode or a two parter, maybe not have it all dedicated to the battle but at least have more of it dealing with the Night King's demise, but i suppose they have lot to flesh out with Cersei and the whole Jon/ Dany thing

- Basic battle 101: use cavalry for flanking dont waste them by charging head on into the dark and unknown

- Jon just chills on a dragon for 10 mins on the battlements whilst they need the trench lit/ could have used that dragon fire

-arya scene where shes terrified of 5 walkers in the library goes on too long and having her show fear at this point in her character arc makes little sense, she goes from that to assassinating the Night King in a span of 15 minutes or so

-they're terrible at directing battles and really showing the scope of things and i'm sick of directors loving quick cuts in a fight scene which just make it hard to follow what's happening at times ( i get it's suppose to emphasize the chaos of battle but it's been done to death and it is just annoying)

-directing/ how some of these characters survived just doesnt make sense. For example one second we see Sam being overwhelmed when Jon is running past and having to leave him, the next hes just crying next to dead bodies while the rest of the walkers are ignoring him

- Jorah death good, Theon death poor imo, also wanted Bran to call him a good brother as i think that would have really cemented what Theon wanted which was a family

- felt like Theon and Jorah's deaths were pretty telegraphed during the episode and easy to guess beforehand, episode would have benefited from someone from the true main cast dying (Sansa or Tyrion maybe, or lesser but more beloved character like Brienne) to really show just how desperate that battle was. (thought the fyad spoiler was real though i suppose that character could die in a future episode)

-Laughed at Jon being like "gonna get that dragon now! Nope, back behind the wall I guess" - repeat x 2 or 3.

- didnt really like Ayra killing the night king, feels like a natural climax would have had it be Jon, she's too much of a super hero at this point, they might as well chill at Winterfell and send her on her own to King's Landing to kill Cersei

- Night king gets zero dialog? Not even like one word to Bran or at least have Bran talk to him and do something other than sit there all episode for god sake. Also his motivation is just never really well established. I guess i like my villains to be more fleshed out.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WampaLord posted:

He can't talk

None of them talk, they just howl

:blessed:

This is fine though I dont think it's established they CANT talk we just assume it. Regardless I think he's a very poor villain in a show with very good villains and they could have given us more indication of his motivation with a better Bran flashback than the one with the tree sacrifice, or just have Bran giving more exposition as to why the Night King is the way he is.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

CornHolio posted:

To be fair, I doubt the Dothraki are very keen on things like 'strategy' and 'not charging head-on at the enemy.'

For a moment I was like "ok yea that is totally the Dothraki not following orders and charging without their cue" but the fact that none of the characters are like "no wait!" as a reaction to that, plus Jorah is clearly leading them makes that make no sense and just seems like the battle plan to being with.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

NowonSA posted:

That was a fun character moment for me, and is another solid item on the "Why Jon would be a good king" list. He got real close to the Night King so he wants to catch up to him, he knows their only hope is that if they kill the NK all the dead are stopped as well, and he makes the hard choice to keep going after that major goal instead of saving his best friend. NK gunning for Bran means there is that personal family connection there too, but I like that it showed he was willing to do the cold calculus that is involved in a major battle. It also seems like character growth over time, I feel like all the way up to his death in this same type of situation Jon would have been too loyal to his friends and Night Watch brothers to leave one behind like that, but with all the wild stuff that's happened since then (The trauma of coming back, being King in the North, finding out his true parentage, etc. etc.) he'll put the greater good ahead of his pals or family, certainly when it's on the scale of the entire white walker threat bearing down on all mankind.

Yea totally I thought that scene was great and really established how far Jon has come and what the stakes are, especially since Sam has like 5 walkers all over him and is surely dead.

Oh nvm he's shown 2 minutes later just sitting on the floor crying whilst the rest of the battle ignores him.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WampaLord posted:

He's a zombie, dude.

You're overthinking it. The "good villains" are the human ones, not the undead ones.

He's not though? Like the risen dead are Zombies but the Night King and his ilk are clearly more than that and have intelligence, they werent killed and turned into mindless hordes, they are transformed humans. They form battle plans, ambushes etc, smile when things are going their way, have a society and a home where they turn babies into fellow Wights etc. It was never established they were zombies or any lesser than humans in terms of intelligence, they just arent human, so expecting them to be able to talk or communicate isnt exactly far fetched. If Deloras Ed rose up from the dead and went "Hey Sam i'm alive and i'm going to killll youuuu" then yes that would be surprising.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

mcbexx posted:

Jon's a Targaryen. He can't be burned. Blue flames nonwithstanding.
Viserion should have blasted him in the face and it shouldn't have fazed him.
That would have been a cool shot and a nice way to resolve that miniboss.

This is definitely not true as theres an established history of Targaryen's thinking they couldnt be burned and burning to death. Dany didnt burn that one time but i dont actually think she's fire proof I think that was more magic specifically for that one moment . She couldnt have a Dragon Breath shower to keep herself clean.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WampaLord posted:

They have literally never talked before, I have no idea why you would expect him to start now.

If he actually did speak y'all would be in here complaining about how dumb it was that the Night King monologues his villain plan to Bran.

Something that established him as more than a boring 2D cut out would have been welcome, doesn't have to be a monologue. Show us who he was before he was turned, explain just what he will do once he establishes an endless winter. He is absolutely a villain, arguably the main villain of the whole show and has been since episode one, and yet we know basically nothing about him and now never will. He stands out in a show that does it's utmost to flesh out it's characters, to give us an understanding as to why they are the way they are. He is 100% a character and if they wanted him to just be a nameless faceless entity of evil, a force of nature, then dont show him smiling in triumph when he doesn't burn in the dragon fire, dont show him as a clearly intelligent battle commander etc.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Matt Zerella posted:

He's a dumb nerd and I'm glad he's dead.

Ditto. He's probably the worst part of the show so i'm glad that whole thing is now behind us.

And also re: Targaryens being fireproof. OK maybe yes i'm going by the books, and Dany is shown to be more than I remember in the show, but it's dumb and also hey if that's the case her brother should have been fine when they put the molten hot gold onto his head. I mean it would be like someone just pouring cool liquid onto us right?

I think she's just extra special/ magic and it isnt all Targs. #notalltargs

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

why didn't they show us who the Night King WAS, man, like before he was evil. Maybe his name was Eric or something. He had a wife and kids...lol no one loving cares

Yea characterization in a show that is all about that is dumb yep.

WampaLord posted:

Seriously, do y'all watch the show or just post the whole time?

Said already i've seen that scene.

A 20 second scene in a show that goes out of it's way to establish characters and give them actual depth etc isnt really enough for the main villain of an 8 season tv show.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Also thinking about it a better surprise would have been for Bran to suddenly stand up and shank the Night King because why not

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WampaLord posted:

He's not the "main" villain and you can tell because there's still other episodes left

Alright I'm tapping out, some of you just can't wrap your minds around enjoying something dumb and fun, have fun arguing about not enough characterization for a big ice zombie king

He's the main villain Jesus Christ he literally is the bringer of the Apocalypse. Cersei might be the final big bad because it's personal for the characters, but it doesn't make her as big of a threat as the literal bringer of the end times, the magic man who can raise the dead and wants to destroy and kill everyone for NO REASON WHATSOEVER because the writers did a terrible job establishing anything about him. You literally could have had the mindless zombies just be the threat and only them and the show wouldn't have been any different, he's a wasted character and the show did a terrible job with him. Dont show us a 20 second flashback of him getting turned if there is nothing else to his story but that, dont establish he has intelligence/ emotions if he is supposed to be just a force of nature that wants death for death's sake.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 29, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Barry is so much better than this show definitely check it out!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Lex Neville posted:

in light of the global warming analogy, it seems entirely appropriate that the death of darth frieza makes fans worldwide lose their cool

A villain in Dragon Ball Z had more characterization than the main bad guy in Game of Thrones

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

the dragon glass was for the white walkers, who never even joined the fight.

the random zerglings can be killed by whatever.

Can they? They established early on that you can literally chop them to pieces with regular weapons and they'll keep going. Like the hand in the jar early on. I do think Dragon glass shuts them down for good.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

All this talk of Arya teleporting despite there being a giant tree above everyone's heads in that scene.

Is it outside the realm of possibility that she just silently climbed out into the tree branches while everyone was watching Theon pull a "LEEEEEEROOYYYYY!!!" and dropped down on the NK?

Yea whilst I dislike the fact she was the one to end him, she's supposed to be a silent assassin, creeping up on dudes is her number one skill so the fact she got that close to him before any of his guards or whatever could react made perfect sense even if she is just super overpowered at this point.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Sam's alive because like the Dragon all the little stab wounds the walkers inflicted on his massive body were like insect bites

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Melisandre at the end should have addressed characters that are clearly just alive due to plot armor like Jaime, Brienne etc and said "Yea you only survived because the Lord of Light likes your characters and thinks Cersei needs to get hers". The finale ends with a cut to the Lord of Light watching the credits and saying "What a poo poo ending" before ranting on some forums.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

CornHolio posted:

I'm not sure about this. The Night King resurrects all the zombies after they've been cut down.

Maybe the dragonglass stops them but his magic can start them? Sounds like the Night King, with some dragonglass, could produce an infinite-energy dynamo.

I think we're supposed to assume that the Dragonglass has killed the zombies that were attacking Winterfell but the zombies he reanimates are the defenders that were lost in the battle, hence why we dont see the giant get up with Lady Mormont for example.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Plenty of trees for Arya to jump from. Plenty of valid complaints about this episode but how the already established ghost like assassin got to the Night King without his guards noticing probably shouldnt be one of them

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Arya's skill points are in Illusion, not Stealth

They've established the faceless men are all about both. Jaqen H'ghar in Harrenhal was basically a ghost who killed people.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Baronash posted:

We very explicitly see Jon burn his hand with a lantern all the way back in Season 1.

Yea Targ's can be burned, Dany is some magical exception that maybe appears every few generations or something who knows. Even if someone can claim Jon is half Targ hence why he can burn himself her brother should have been fine with molten gold poured over his head if all of them can do what she can.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 29, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

Did Ghost get a dragonglass grill or something because otherwise there's no way he should have even been there.

They totally should have forged him something like this out of dragon glass

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If you think that’s weird just wait til you see what she does last week.

Yea full penetration in a mainstream TV show seems like a bold choice but let's see how it turns out

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Fellatio del Toro posted:

lol if you're not double dipping by enjoying watching this now very dumb show and also enjoying making fun of how dumb it is now

Yea this show is dumb and at times bad (and at times good tbf) but it's also very enjoyable and fun to watch. It's by no means say Walking Dead tier where it's so bad it's not even any fun watching just to trash it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I said come in! posted:

He has all of the knowledge of the world or some such and if he dies then apparently that gives the Night King some magical ability to plunge the entire world into darkness, turning everyone still alive into undead.

Where are you getting this from? Bran holds all the history of humanity in his head and the Night King wants humanity gone that badly for "reasons" so killing Bran stops the Three Eyed Raven mantle being passed on and destroys humanities history and the information on how to destroy him.. If Bran dies everyone alive doesnt instantly become a zombie.

Admiral Ray posted:

This is my hope, that she gets infected by the ice virus.

Oh hopefully they give her even more super powers /s

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 29, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Guze posted:

Bran saw his browser history

He's really into snowballing

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Crimpolioni posted:

I guess the named characters who died stay gone, but the rest of the army is going to regenerate so there can be a battle with the golden company, right? Or is Yara going to return with 10 000 ironborn.

Pretty sure the Northern army is decimated. Maybe Yara could save the day though yeah but i think Cersei has the upper hand at this point. But super Arya can just do her thing and kill her (no really there's no reason she shouldnt be able to do this and it won't make sense if they dont even attempt it).

Fart Amplifier posted:

Dragon fire can blow down the walls of a castle or the actual wall in seconds but can't kill a guy behind a rock

Certain walls were reinforced with plot armor pre battle

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Hey i'm a Dragon i'm going to patiently wait for you to stick your head up rather than just charge at you or knock that wall you're behind down because REASONS

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

They subverted our expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

ritorix posted:

Now that Arya killed the NK I'm fully expecting her to start showing minor symptoms then slowly transform into a new night queen. There will always be a lich king.

lol nope everything to do with White Walkers, the NK etc was wrapped up in a neat little bow in a single episode sorry